C25k?

You're on Page 4 of 21
Go to
  • Week 6 Day 3 Gone! 25 Min run bout killed me but I did it! 2.2ish miles running
  • I made the concious decision to do this. It started snowing here again tonight[ugh. Mi weather.] but in about a week it should be above freezing for good [hopefully] and it's on!
  • maddie - shin splints are what u are experiencing. that is only the beginning though. i have had them very badly and you dont want them. like i said in a previous post your bones and muscles are still weak and they have to get stronger. the shins hurt because yr legs still havent adjusted to the running.
    you need to make sure that you rest AT LEAST a day between the 3 workouts i usually will do a day between the first two and then wait a few days and do the last one. you have to listen to yr body though. if you have pain thats unbearable take as many days off as you need to get them to heal then begin again. do some other cardio that doesnt irritate the injury. the only way to get rid of the dreaded shin splints is to rest them. of course ice etc but rest is the only thing to prevent and heal them
  • Definitely take those days off in between! It's not really your muscles that have a hard time adjusting at first, it's your bones and tendons. Those need time to heal and adjust to the impact.

Shin splints suck. Make sure you're warming up and cooling down enough. The more walking you can do before and after your run, the better. I like to stretch after I run because my muscles are warmed up, but be careful not to overstretch. It shouldn't hurt at all. Lots of shin problems can happen when your calves get too tight or overdeveloped. Make sure to stretch out those calves, or roll a rolling pin over them (carefully) to get out the knots. Toe taps help strengthen your shins too. They are amazing for preventing shin splints. Also, for sore muscles or knees I like to use ice massage. Take a paper cup and freeze some water in it, then peel off the bottom and use that to massage whatever hurts for about 5 minutes.

One more thing. The hardest thing for me when I was towards the end of the program and a beginning runner was to slow down on my runs. It sounds counter-intuitive, but slowing down gives your body a chance to adjust to running, and can help you build up distance without injury. Also, your lungs will give out long before your legs do. Even now my long runs are always slow. It's hard to judge when you're first starting because I remember being out of breath all the time, but it gets easier and eventually you'll get faster without trying.

Re: motivation, it makes it a lot easier to get out there if you have an actual 5k to train for. Preferably one you can tell everyone about so you can't chicken out at the last minute

Sorry, that was probably too much information, but I just get excited reading this thread. Can't wait to see you all graduate!
  • This is a cool program! Since I already run, I think I will jump in on week 5 or 6. I have yet to get to feel comfortable running 3 miles straight so this should be helpful.
  • i'm starting the C25K today
  • Yay! Keep it up guys!
  • snowed here last night/this morning.setback :-(
  • Hey girls! How are you doing this week? W3D1 DONE!! And those 3 minute runs didn't even phase me. Off to weightlift!
  • I finally started today!
  • started today and im totally amazed how my body WANTS to run. its just got all this weight on it...

whats 30ds?
  • did W1D1 yesterday... didn't get the whoel 20 mins done though but i did a 5 min warm up then 12 mins of the 60/90... couldn't get myself to do the other 8 mins but i did get on a bike and did another 13 mins of cardio
  • I did W1D1 last night. OMG! I am so out of shape. I'm also doing 30DS (30 day shred) so I thoght I would do alright. But man alive! I was having chest pains (b/c I couldn't breath - I have asthma) and my legs hurt - my calfs. But I did it the whole thing. But I really really didn't want to get up this morning and do the shred....but I did.
  • Hi ladies, I started the C25k earlier this week, hadn't actually noticed this thread, but I'd like to jump right in. I completed wk1d2 today. Legs sore, but survivable.
  • doing W2D1 today. Woo and UGH at the same time