Metabolic Research Center - Take VI!

You're on Page 13 of 41
Go to
  • Quote: I have been "lurking" the last few days-- I wi on Tuesday and i was up 1.5- that was a little disappointing, but I think that over the long weekend I had missed a couple of things- fruit, bread, water.... it is much easier when my life is in its routine.
    Keep it up! I'm sure you will have a big loss at your next WI! I have the same "routine" issue with weekends in general. When I'm at work during the week, everything is exactly the same. The weekend is always a little different (waking, eating, chores, etc) so I totally understand! You're doing great! I look forward to hearing about your loss!
  • HNS and water
    Namaste --- I always add extra water because of the sweetness too. I asked MRC and they said it was fine. But they also said it does not count towards your water intake because adding anything at all to the water changes it's molecular content and it doesn't work the same way. Your water for the day has to be plain water. Has anyone else heard anything different?
  • Quote: Namaste --- I always add extra water because of the sweetness too. I asked MRC and they said it was fine. But they also said it does not count towards your water intake because adding anything at all to the water changes it's molecular content and it doesn't work the same way. Your water for the day has to be plain water. Has anyone else heard anything different?
    Do you go the Ft Collins center or the Greeley MRC? I go the Greeley MRC, and one of the reasons I was curious was because I was counting it towards my water but I asked last week and I was told I shouldn't count it because they want us to get use to drinking plainwater (along the same lines as what you heard but with a different reason), and not using the HNS's as a way to get water in. Also, she said in the beginning, that they sometimes allow people to count it if they are having issues getting water in but like them to get away from it.
    It's interesting to hear what input everyone gets from their centers. This is gettin' good.
    Anyone else?
  • Quote: But they also said it does not count towards your water intake because adding anything at all to the water changes it's molecular content and it doesn't work the same way. Your water for the day has to be plain water. Has anyone else heard anything different?
    That's what I've heard too - but I got to thinking about it & I'm not sure it really makes sense unless you're drinking your plain water on an empty stomach. Once your water hits your stomach it's getting mixed up with all kinds of stuff & the "molecular content" is getting changed then, right? Even stomach acid would have that effect before the water gets to your kidneys.
    Or maybe I'm just being an overthinking malcontent? (I actually like plain water, but I've been adding a touch of lemon or lime to mine lately.)
  • Namaste ---- it's the Fort Collins Center. And I'm with Em -- it doesn't make sense to me, but I do it just the same .
  • Quote: BTW, as I was lugging around my heavy suitcase this morning I was wondering how much it weighed in comparision to my weight loss. Well, it was 37 lbs!!! I can't believe how much that weighs!!!! No wonder I feel so much better

Shine on, way to put it into perspective girl!!!! That is so great!!!!
  • Thanks for the encouragement, Namaste, I needed that! I also agree with the water is water is water point. But, it really shouldn't come down to those 6 oz anyway. I really crave water these days- I heard people say that before and didn't really believe them, but it is true, the more you drink, the more you want it. Thank goodness it is water and not alcohol!! Ha!
  • Thank you ShineOn and Namaste. You are so great. You are all like family now. The supportive kind I always wanted. I would be lost without you all.

Meemo: I love the overthinking. I walk in with things like that and it is fun to see the counselors scramble for an answer. I wanted to know why the MRC6 didn't absorb the flax seed oil. Still haven't gotten an answer to that one, but they still want me to take them together. I try to just go with it, but once in awhile you just have to stop and say huh?

Anyway, I am in trouble if I can't count the extra water. I drink my hsn with between 12 and 24 oz. I count anything over the original 8oz. Never thought to ask if this was a problem. Can't begin to think why a little lemon or lime would hurt as long as it isn't extreme. That is cleansing.

On the topic of when people give you trouble about the health concerns associated with losing quickly remember that you will be the answer to their questions soon enough. The friend that told me about the program is an example of that. (She watches this board sometimes so hello and thank you again) Anyway, when we got back to our children's preschool after summer break I saw her get out of the car and she just glowed. She has always been beautiful, but this was just over the top. Her skin glowed, her hair shined, her eyes were bright and she was bouncing. Literally bouncing along with the kids to the building. I noticed how happy, healthy and great she looked before I noticed anything about weight. That is why I had to find out what she was doing. She didn't just look thinner, she looked fantastic and so happy. When you are both thin and healthy they really won't have anything to bug you about. When they pester you now just picture that day and smile.
  • Has anyone taken guggul? They wanted to add that to my program today. I am a little nervous to take very much. It just seems like everyday something is recalled for harming people. Donuts, does the pharmacist side of you have any concerns? I also don't want to be too dependent on the helpers. They will already have to pry the all day out of my hands when they tell me it is time to let it go.

I am getting numerous hot chocolates and teas for my girls weekend. They suggested it today at the center. I won't be so different from everyone and it will keep my hands and mouth busy when I want to nibble. Obviously I will be drinking the tea, but I thought everyone might join me if I got both tea and hot cocoa.

I am going to ban myself from the kitchen as much as possible. Hopefully, I can get people to move into the living area. Darn the change to everyone hanging out in the kitchen. Maybe that is another reason people were smaller in the past. They socialized in the living room. Anyway, I digress, I will be thinking of you all. If ShineOn can do a cruise I can visit with my oldest and dearest friends.

By the way, they aren't really feeders. I wouldn't worry about them pressuring me, but these are the same girls who watched all of my crazy unhealthy plans to stay thin in the past. I have no credibility on the subject. In college I did every insane diet that came my way. ( I am sure I am not alone here. All cabbage soup anyone? ) Most of my friends have always been pretty well adjusted when it comes to food. They indulge but live a healthy lifestyle most of the time. They have worried and talked to me in the past about my eating lifestyle. I know they are going to think this is the crazy diet of the week. If they see the pharmacy that I carry with me, they may have an intervention. I think I will take the center phone number with me too

Anyway, have a great weekend. Make great choices and I will see you all on page 30 when I check back on Sunday night. Hopefully with a great report.

By the way, went back to the gym today!!! Two days in a row. I am off and running. Keep up. Lets hear about that exercise.
  • [B]SpringfieldAmy/B]- Your sense of humor and positive attitude can get you through the day if your willpower isn't enough! You have the right idea and I know you can do it! Your friends only want what's best for you, and like someone said, in the end, you'll be all the proof they need that this "diet" really works.

About the water, I mix my HNS with 24-32oz of water also. My center also said that I can't count that water toward my daily goal. Since learning that in maintenance you only get 1 HNS a day, I can see why they do this. I don't think there's any chemistry behind it, rather building the habit of drinking plain water.

I WI tonight and have actually gained 4 lbs since last Friday! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?!? I've been sick and it's TOM, but STILL!!!!!! I even ate fish for dinner last night! It makes me want to eat everything bad that I possibly can, and start over tomorrow! (Of course I won't, my rational mind says that will just set me back MORE and I don't want or need that... but the thought was there!) Here's how I'll rebel instead: I'm not going to change my ticker until next WI, and hopefully it will be back there or lower. So there! This weekend I'll exercise more, drink lots of water, and eat MORE fish (4oz at a time, of course)!
  • Quote:
    Meemo: I love the overthinking. I walk in with things like that and it is fun to see the counselors scramble for an answer. I wanted to know why the MRC6 didn't absorb the flax seed oil. Still haven't gotten an answer to that one, but they still want me to take them together. I try to just go with it, but once in awhile you just have to stop and say huh?

Anyway, I am in trouble if I can't count the extra water. I drink my hsn with between 12 and 24 oz. I count anything over the original 8oz. Never thought to ask if this was a problem. Can't begin to think why a little lemon or lime would hurt as long as it isn't extreme. That is cleansing.
    Whew! Glad I'm not the only overthinker! I have to admit there were times when I was lucky my eyes didn't roll out of my head (like the time a counselor told me I'd be out of weight-loss mode for 3 days because I didn't have fruit with my lunch - this ain't my first rodeo, y'know??) - but I maintained my cool, then was extra good to prove that yes, I WOULD lose weight before 3 days was up - and I did! So there!
    I've also read things recently that said that all water intake counts towards your total, including water in your food. So who knows?? The truth probably lies somewhere in between...
    Having said all that, I still like to get in a minimum of 64 oz of plain water (or maybe with just a little of the lemon or lime, makes it easier in the winter when I'm not doing as much sweating & my "natural thirst" slows down), and 96 oz is even better. I really do feel better when I get my water in that way.
  • Packing
    I have been reading, not posting the past 3 wks. Love to see everyone's successes & realizations we are not perfect, no matter how hard we try!

During WI today, I asked advice on packing in cargo-hold HNS liquid packs. She said they have seen the Peach exlode--there went my favorite out the suitcase. So I bought all powders which I don't care for. Has anyone had problems traveling with the gel packs? I'm carrying 4 on the plane in my carry-on since it's about 11 hrs traveling from Omaha to Honolulu. The last thing my SIL did before he left for Iraq was to buy my DH & myself first class tickets to Oahu to visit our daughter. I've never been & don't like to fly--already getting the nervous gut. And I'm already worried about eating airplane food. Should be lots of fish to choose on the menus during the week we are there. HELP!!

Springfield Amy: What were you talking about--MRC6 & flax oil? (I wanted to know why the MRC6 didn't absorb the flax seed oil. Still haven't gotten an answer to that one, but they still want me to take them together. I try to just go with it, but once in awhile you just have to stop and say huh?)
  • What a week!!! I have had several late nights at work with clients and dinner at the fancy smancy club upstairs. It's a buffet type thing so I have opted (3 nights this week) for plain roast beef and veggies rather than the smothered with bad stuff fish or chicken. I figure the calorie content HAS to be less with just plain meat than something smothered in Marsalis sauce, right??

I know I am only allowed red lean meat 2 times a week so I am stressing weigh in Monday night. I will have to be extra good this weekend and may have to have a fish only weekend

Does anyone on here eat red meat at all? I never hear od anyone, so maybe it is not allowed on the other menu's.

Thanks!!
  • NanaDB--I recently flew to Chicago with my HNS, I took a few packets in my carryon bag and checked the rest. I did pack mine in a ziplock bag, just in case, but didn't have any problems. You may want to just pack a few extras in case one does explode, or maybe even ship them to you daughter beforehand. I am all about less luggage to keep track of and I am infamous for lost luggage, so I ship stuff alot. Especially stuff I buy on a trip, I always FedEx it home.

Oh and I was questioned at Midway security about the HNS I had in my carryon. No problem in Jacksonville or Atlanta, just Midway for some reason. They were printed on the outside of the packet, so he let me through.

Have a great trip!!
  • Just a quick post - I have internet in the hotel! We board the ship today. Yesterday was a tough eating day. I was only able to eat healthy at one meal - lunch. We were so exhausted from the rush of business, staying up late packing, time change and travel - that we fell asleep at 7pm. Needless to say, I woke up at 4am. My DH is still sound asleep (beds are really uncomfortable so it was not a good nights sleep), so I'm waiting for the sunrise and I'm going to walk the beach - sand is very hard to walk in, so good exercise. Plus, I need it. After all the icky things I put into my body yesterday - small amounts, but still icky -I feel like I have sludge running through my veins instead of high octane fuel and I'm feeling very grumpy. By evening, I was so frustrated I even had a couple sips of my DH's beer. This is my first big fall off the wagon! But this board is so fantastic and I've learned so much about perserverance!! I'm eating some south beach cottage cheese I found at a convenience store and we did buy a case of water to bring on the ship. Well ladies and Donuts . . . . yesterday's poor eating and today feeling of ick makes me more determined to make good food choices on the ship. I'm now looking forward to the wonderful healthy meals that will be prepared for me.

NanaDB - I'm so glad to hear from you!!! We were just talking about you yesterday when we were sitting on the beach. Hailey wanted to know how you were doing and I thought you had left for Hawaii already - see, you guys are not just my internet family, you have become part of my family's conversation too! Some packing advise, anything liquid you have to put in a clear plastic quart size bag and ea item can't weigh over 2 ounces. I brought powder in my carry on and you can buy water on the other side of security. I was going to pack liquid, but then I worried about the explosions so I just did powder. Bring MELBA TOAST as a carry on! Bread is what screwed me up yesterday. And keep sea salt in your purse - ask for foods to be prepared without sodium. This is not an unusual request, a lot of people are on sodium restricted diets. As for aiport food, you have to look a little hard, but you can find some vendor's that will offer salad. It's expensive but worth it. If they have a subway, get the chicken roast salad with double meat (if you're on 6 oz of protein). You're going to have such a great time in Hawaii!! And 1st class should be able to cater to you. Just make sure to tell them you have dietary restrictions due to health problems. This magic statement will get them working for you instead of thinking your a difficult dieter.

Sunrise in 15 minutes so it's time to hit the beach. What a blessed way to work out the sluge! Thank you for being there for me this morning. I'm carrying you all with me in my head so we'll have a great cruise together!!