Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default November 2007 The Beck Diet Solution

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if we learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach.

This is a place to chat about our daily efforts and, for some of us, serves as an on-line diet coach.

The book, The Beck Diet Solution, is available on Amazon through the 3FC store:http://astore.amazon.com/3fatchionad...216363-1799918

Previous Beck threads on 3FC:

October 2007 October 2007 The Beck Diet Solution http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124433
September 2007 September 2007 The Beck Diet Solution http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121790
August 2007 The Beck Diet Solution August 2007 http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119430
July 2007 The Beck Diet Solution July 2007 http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116556
May 2007 (Original) The Beck Diet Solution - support group? http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112274

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-20-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:53 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Arrow Completed Beck Program-day 16: Prevent Unplanned Eating

• Made a NO CHOICE response card.

• My eating rules:

o Eat a substantial amount of protein, vegetables, and fruit at every meal.
o Avoid processed foods and foods with added sugar
o When eating out, eat up to 25% more than I do at home. Weddings 50% more.
o Eat 3 or 4 snacks each day between my three meals.

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXXXX 14 XX||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 16. 26 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Weekend for play

At FREE lunch yesterday, the chili was served as a cup size instead of the pint size I had planned. So, I went to Plan B and had one hot dog with it as well as a huge salad (a welcome surprise!). The hot dog served the part of me that doesn't want to permanently ban any specific food from my life, but to eat mindfully from a wide variety. I did, however, specifically pass on the cake, the popcorn, and the Pepsi.

That was a new experience for me because I've never had a single hot dog in my life. I've always had at least two. Even so, if I were more advanced in Intuitive Eating, I could have ditched the last half of the hot dog after I'd satisfied my desire to taste it. However, discarding food just because I don't need to eat it is still way way beyond my current spiritual development.

Got in a nice long walk after work. Made it to Whole Foods to get more roasted soy nuts for snacks and to the Indian foods store to get some Nan that DW likes.

Sue - LOL at you eating "completely alone in a barren room in order not to do old habits."

Your story of the potato chips certainly rings true for me. Such a good reminder of how a desire can turn into eating, even when you are actively working your Beck strategies. I don't have any wise advice for that situation, but perhaps DH could keep the bag tactfully placed out of your sight.

I admire your determination to be both your social self and a mindful eater. I'm convinced that there's a combination of the Beck strategies that's going to work for you. Good luck in your continued search.

Bethany - Hope you are having a relaxed and fun weekend.

Readers - May your weekend be filled with that activity you want.

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXXXX 14 XX||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 16. 26 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #4  

Hi BillBlueEyes and everyone else

billBlueEyes nice start to this thread by explaining the focus of this place plus showing all the old months sites. Thanks for letting me quickly find the new thread. - I do not know how to start new thread, post pic ect.

My Dh loves hot dogs and we have found at Trader Joes 97% fat free ones by Hebrew National so they are only 40 cals a piece I think- He enjoys them and I find them ok and tend to eat a couple of them with no buns. sound like you did well at the lunch at work-yeah for them having a salad to fill in the hunger spots.

I have been pondering a possible behavorial way when dealing with becoming so filled with cravings when around some food without white knuckling it. It may be one of those slippery slopes but there is a rebelious kid in me when it comes to NO CHOICE sometimes. If I have gone through a number of strategies and still am craving possessed, I am working on taking a very small amount. chewing mindfully, savorying every bite and then let the rest go. May be a bit like you wishing you ate just eating half of hot dog. It is hugh step for me to stop when aroung processed foods. I did today around some coffee cake-enjoyed and quickly stopped and added the cals to preplanned food for the day. I knew there is a chance that 5-10 bites a day will add 400 cals. That is good thing to recording everything for me.

I used to be a smoker and sometimes it was the first puff that was the most important. The rest of cig was just habit.

Good new for me is that I have lost the extra lbs gained and went to a health fair in our community today and my blood sugars are excellent, and my blood pressure is way down-yeah to losing 55 lbs and exercising much more.

to getting and staying healthy

sue
Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

Arrow Completed Beck Program-day 17: End Overeating

Quote:
“In order to successfully lose weight and keep it off, you have to stop eating when you’ve eaten the amount of food on your plan.”
Successes:
• At dinner at home, I cut my serving of ham in half, put half in the fridge for my lunch the next day. That was easy. Ham wasn’t wasted. Ham was still mine.
• At dinner at home, I ate exactly one serving of dal (spicy lentil soup) even though it was VERY good and only a half serving was left in the pot. Easy enough. Leftover in the fridge for DW to grab for her lunch.

Challenges to do:
• Leave food on my plate to be wasted at a restaurant when it’s not practical to take a doggie bag. (I have a bonus allocation, per Beck, for restaurants that will accommodate, for example, a restaurant sized portion of grilled salmon, but will not accommodate that PLUS their serving size of crab stuffing AND appetizer AND bread dipped in olive oil.)
• Leave food on my plate to be wasted that isn’t on my eating plan (like mashed potatoes with rich gravy served at a friend’s house).
• Leave food on my plate at home that will be wasted (e.g. too little to save, not reheatable, or we can’t use before it spoils).
• Leave a portion of a steak.
• Leave a portion of an expensive dessert that came with the meal (e.g. at a banquet).

Help !!!!!!!!!!!
Has anybody left food on their plate at a restaurant that they would be willing to share? I could use some help on this one. It seems impossible to me. Perhaps some non-Beck person has a success with this.

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXXXX 14 XXX|||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 17. 25 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:13 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday Sunday

Saw "Donnie Darko" last night. Apparently I'm the only person on planet earth who wasn't already into the Donnie Darko cult. A good mind bender. Reminder of teenage angst.

Plan is to get to the gym today and to take a long walk including the farmer's market. Only a couple of weeks left for the farmer's market. It makes me miss the summer bounty. They'll have winter squash, apples, kale, and perhaps some remnant corn.

Sue - Thanks for the tip on Hebrew National hot dogs, I'll have to try those.

Congratulations on you coffee cake bite-and-stop, that's a big one. I'm sending you my best thoughts of support as you search for the right strategy for your cravings.

Big whooohooo for your blood sugars and blood pressure Nice to see the payoff for your efforts to exercise and to lose the 55 pounds.

Bethany - Hope all is going well. May the sun shine on you when you're outdoors today.

Strangers in the night - May you have a peaceful and mindful Sunday.

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXXXX 14 XXX|||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 17. 25 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #7  

Hello.

A quick note as we need to go shopping which for us is a 4 hr round trip just to get to the stores and return home. Add a couple hrs to actually shop.

billblueeye-I must thank you for continuing to post-having this site stay working has been so helpful for me-I live so rurally I just can't find much of a support system with in an hr drive. I feel so much better now that I am back in control of eating and putting much more healthy foods and amounts in my body. It is happier also as I have lost over 4 lbs quickly-I know much of water but still nice not to have that weight on my arthritic joints.

We will be eating at least lunch out and I will be pondering your challengs. I am even tying the inability to toss food when I am done with keeping alot of unused but "valuable" items in our home. I'd call us organized pack rats-yet our life would be so much easier-more space, easier to clean house and storage areas, easier to orgainze and find the stuff we do have and use regularly-not that hunting for where did we put it.

I know the depression has a hugh effect on my parents-whose families truly went without and even lost their home. Is there even a bit of trickle down fugility for us? Does even that free food ties into that must take advantage of that. Even my skinny Dh eats rather complusively then. We very rarely drink at a bar or even at a resturante. Why pay $9.00 for a glass of wine when we can get a bottle for that price at the grocery store.

Get back to you later

folks do join us in exchanging ideas,-you successes and challenges.

sue

ps what is danny darko? movie? We don't even newpaper delivery up here to I read that paper on line.

Last edited by coastalsue; 11-04-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #8  
bkf

S/C/G: 250/250/135

Height: 5'3"

Bill & Sue: Things seem to be going well for both of you. It is great that you are meeting up to your challenges.

Re: Donnie Darko: What a fun movie. It is totally messed up. I really enjoyed it and my husband is a huge fan. It came out in 2001 and definitely has quite the cult following.

My absent weekend:
I fell off the wagon. I did really well Thursday and Friday during the day. (I even threw away half a serving of delicious chili when I realized that it was going to cause me to go way over calories for the day.) Then there was unpredictability. Which I apparently do not do so well with. As soon as I got home my husband and I hopped in the car and headed to his family's house. I hadn't eaten anything in awhile so when we stopped at the gas station I went inside to grab a healthy snack. I ended up with a bag of combos. I hadn't had them in a long time and they made me kind of nostalgic (weird, right?). So I justified the purchase by saying that I would eat a serving and then be done with them. Well, I am not ready for that yet. So I ate too many. We went out to dinner. I ordered chicken parmesan. I ate maybe a third of it and took the rest home. When I got home I decided I didn't like it very much so threw it out.
But something inside me was like screw Beck. lol. I can let lose a little today. (Did I mention I didn't read my response cards before dinner because we were around people?) It basically all added up to yesterday where I lived off of mini candy bars left over from Halloween and pizza. I am not proud of this, but it has made me realize a couple things:
1. I have to read my response cards. I am going to keep a hard copy at home on note cards and then put a copy of everything in my PDA so I don't have to feel self-conscious about pulling out a stack of index cards.
2. I have to post here and in the other groups that I frequent. It keeps me accountable.
3. I have to write down everything that I eat. If I don't I can conveniently forget the first five no-nos and follow them with another five.
4. I need to take a couple day and focus completely on Days 1-7 before I move on. Excitement can only carry you so far. I need to get those ideas stuck in my head before adding more to it.
5. I have to ask my husband to hide the candy from me. I cannot do just one. I know that if I completely refrain from something I will have fewer cravings for that something than I would if I had a single taste of it.

I am not proud of my weekend, but I am proud of myself for learning something from it. In the past I would have disappeared from this discussion because I am embarrassed and don't want to have to admit that I screwed up. So there's one success anyway.

Sorry for the novel. I just had to get it all out there.
I will be posting tomorrow.

Bethany
Old 11-05-2007, 01:32 AM   #9  

Hi guys,

good for you Bethany to exam it all-i so understand that feeling of screw any diet rules-I feel like I have a rebelious kid in me-too bad this kid has done such health damage in my body. It has been quite a process for me to change eating habits and even bigger to realize all the ways which "distract" me from heathy amounts of food. I have tons of set backs but over all i am thinner and healthier even tho i have a ways to go still. So glad you are posting.
Beck has these short chapters with some exercises and I went thur it with a couple of months-but now I am slowly repeating them and I working on dealing with cravings and desire for weeks and will be there for quite a while.
Like all of you ideas to focus on-One of the biggest helps for me in our very healthy food environment at home-honestly I can hear processed food call to me. I often can't go into fast food store-send DH in for me to get some low cal item. All of DH treats are hidden in the garage.
writing down eaten foods has really help me learn cal counts-and how to make choices-I do eat less trying to stay in a cal count.
I love your postive attitude-learning from our "slip ups" is a powerful tool for change.
take care
sue
Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Arrow Completed Beck Program-day 18: Change Your definition of Full

Quote:
If you can’t easily take a moderate to brisk walk after a meal, it means you’ve eaten too much and you might have an unrealistic definition of fullness.
• Will carefully monitor eating to “normal fullness” at a potluck meeting tonight where I have a history of continuing to eat because we sit at the table with the food.

• Will carefully monitor “normal fullness” this Thanksgiving.

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXXXX 14 XXXX||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 18. 24 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Angry Summer might be over

Had to wear a jacket yesterday. Bought Brussels Sprouts at the farmers' market; there is no more corn. Summer might be over. There must be someday a level of spiritual enlightenment where I don't fight the passage of summer. I'm clearly not there now.

Bought a persimmon to try. Boy did it ever make my mouth feel weird. I wonder why people eat them.

Good leftovers are available for lunches this week: big batch of kale and collards (from DW's garden) with feta cheese, and a big batch of spaghetti with tomato sauce. Makes life easy.

Sue - You can read the Wikipedia description of Donnie Darko, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_Darko#Plot, or here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/synopsis.
Bethany's description, "It is totally messed up." is as good as any. It's a cult thing, not something to put high on your list.

Tying clutter with tossing food is a new idea for me to ponder. You may have something there.

Good luck with your continued confrontation of the cravings, "I can hear processed food call to me". Beck is encouraging that our resistance muscle will get stronger.

Bethany - Re: "But something inside me was like screw Beck." My take is that your rebellious side shows your strength that will serve you well to keep to the healthy lifestyle that will contribute to feeling good about yourself and to losing weight. In one paragraph you covered almost all of Program-day 19 that I'm just reading. Maybe you're just a little ahead of yourself.

Your response to "falling off the wagon" is a great example for me. Most important, for me, is to see you keep a level headed positive attitude about yourself. That seems to be what Beck is always trying to get us to do, so that we have our full selves available to learn from our actions and to plan our next actions. You have my utmost respect for the way you're handling this situation.

We saw Donnie Darko as a play at the ART in Cambridge. It was creatively staged in one complex setting, 80 minutes without an intermission. It was compelling, and moving. We though we maybe, sorta understood because of good program notes, but had a more complex lack of understanding after reading the links above and watching the trailer. When DW and I discussed it you'd think we'd been to two different plays. If we see the movie will we understand?

Discarding the Chicken Parmesan wins the award for discarding restaurant food. I haven't done that yet.

Readers - May you be warm enough today to be comfortable, and comfortable enough with yourself to stay on program.

Help - What do you do with a persimmon?

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXXXX 14 XXXX||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 18. 24 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #12  

Howdy,

BillblueEyes-Yesterday I also was saying good by to summer-we did have a great clear warm day but the days are so much short-just had the change in time so now the sun set even an hr earlier.

Persimmons- I have used in baking-sadly adding sugar as they are so tart-never have been able to eat plain-

Yesterday we ate out with family-+granchildren. It was at Chili"s -hugh glossy picture of food for the menu, portions which were so big, and each dish seemed to have ton of cal. The guiltess grilled started at 490 cal for fish and then went up. I decided on the salad and even the "grilled chicken on the salad was breaded. Dressing on the side BUT i forget to ask for low or no cal dressing. They may not have had it, but should have asked. The whole fast, busy, noisy place with tons of food about-seemed geared to create a want for a feeding frienzy with in me.

Question: Does any one know about packets of low cal dressing which I could keep in the car? Full fat dressing is cal killer. But I find salads with no dressing boring.

We got caught up with everything and each order our own thing-But often we do order and split one dinner or portion with an extra salad. In the beginnig we felt like we might look "cheap"-but we could have the correct amount and not worry about left over. I focus on the extra salad and DH order his desser and I would a very small portion of the dessert while the skinny guy could enjoy the extra cals. I know people who have had the stomach surgery who have a card which they can use to get the children portion due to small stomach. i guess eating half a meal is our way coping with me needing reduced cals.

Leaving or throwing out unhealthy foods in not a waste!-Sometime I feel like some food increase my addiction-kind of like is wrong of an alcoholic to throw out a beer? I am working on the idea that some food is not really food for me, but an addictive substance.

take care
sue
Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #13  
bkf

Sue: Have you considered using salsa on your salads instead of salad dressing? I think that most places would have it and it is definitely a healthier way to go than the full fat stuff. I've done this a few time and I enjoyed it.
As far as packets of salad dressing.. I have never seen them anywhere, but they must be for sale somewhere because fast food restaurants use them. I wonder if a place like Costco or Sam's Club would carry them.

Bill: Donnie Darko as a play would be pretty interesting. I'm not sure if seeing the movie would explain anything further. It really is a mind-bender. Regarding Persimmons: I know nothing about them. It makes me want to try new fruit though. I love trying new things.

My day has been fine. I was leaps and bounds better than I was over the weekend. I spent 8 hours with a candy dish on my desk. I have a couple pieces of hard candy and that is it.
I've got a tender arm because I got my flu shot today. I researched it because someone told me that everyone they know got sick after getting it. Since I work with so many high-risk people (I work at a mental health center and a lot of the people aren't in that great of physical health either) I decided that the benefits out-weigh the risks.

Talk to you all later.

Bethany
Old 11-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #14  
bkf

Sue: Check out http://www.minimus.biz/ for mini-salad dressings.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:12 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

Arrow Completed Beck Program-day 19: Stop Fooling Yourself

From Beck:
Quote:
Dieters have an amazing ability to delude themselves about food. They may be rational and reasonable in other ways, but not when it comes to dieting.

Some self deluding sabotaging thoughts:

It’s OK to eat this because

o It’s not a whole piece.
o I’ll eat it only this one time.
o It’s not that fattening.
o I’ll make up for it by eating less later.
o It won’t matter.
o I paid for it.
o It’ll go to waste.
o I’ll disappoint someone if I don’t.
o Everyone else is eating it.
o I’m celebrating.
o No one will see me eating it.
o It’s just the crumbs.
o It’s free.
o I really want it.
o It’s a special occasion.
o I’m upset, and I just don’t care.
o I’m craving it, and I’ll probably just eat it eventually.

It’s not OK to eat unplanned foods of any kind. I’m just fooling myself. If I want to lose excess weight and keep it off, I absolutely must stop fooling myself.
I’m doing well with many on this list, but need to focus on:

o I paid for it.
o It’ll go to waste.
o It’s just the crumbs.

Closed Thread