Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #91  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Happy Monday everyone,
Maryblu, good luck with your Fat smash diet plan. I know nothing about it. I know for me I chose ww at first but now calorie counting seems to make more sense to me.

Sue, I know when I am really busy during the day, I try to make something healthy in the crockpot and then it is ready for me once I get home. I also pack a lunch bag so that I am not tempted by the smell of food. I am not tempted because I don't let myself get really hungry. I pack healthy snacks. I am only allowed to eat from this lunch bag. I find if I plan it, it works. As I write this and read it, I am thinking I may have some compulsive disorder or something. My Dh is laughing at me when I told him what I wrote. He said, "you don't really tell people about packing your lunch bag, they will think you are strange." I may be strange but I find if I plan it works for me.

Bill, I think it is difficult when you aren't expecting something and then it happens, the planned stuff seems easier. I know at Costco, they have samples but since I know this I go in and don't give myself the right to sample anything. I am afraid that if I do, it may be a trigger for me. Wow I realize I have food rules...oh my, I think I need a book on something else.
Beck sure makes me think a lot.

I do hope you all have a wonderful evening.
Take Care
Ann
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #92  
newlifestyle

Day 11 - Learn the Difference Betwen Hunger, Desire, and Cravings
Today I am going to learn a very important skill, I am going to learn the difference between just wanting to eat, actually being hungry, and having a craving.

Sabotaging thought: I know when I'm hungry and when I'm not. I don't need to fill out a chart.

Helpful Response: Chances are, I sometimes have a desire or craving but label it as hunger, which gives me an excuse to eat. Monitoring the difference today on a chart will make it more likely that I won't be able to use this excuse in the future and end up gaining weight.

I really think I will need the (Do it anyway card).

Day 12 Prove you can Tolerate Hunger and Cravings

You need to recognize that hunger and cravings are uncomfortable, but not nearly as uncomfortable as other things you have experienced in your life.

Okay I think this day will need more work. I don't want to go all day without eating. I will have to talk myself into this. Oh wait the fine print says check with your doctor that it is okay to do this. I have to find a doctor that says no....ha ha.

This one I will have to work on.....
Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #93  

Helllo All,

Ann you are not strange but awesome for all of your preplanning. I want and need "complusive" organizational skills. I like the idea that you can only eat what is in your bag-we made one sandwich each on day of the fair but it was not enough-should have added some fruit-more for a late afternnon snack-But being too hungry about 4:40 that opened us up to the idea of having some of the treats at the fair.

I get kind of scattered when my rountine is changed-that was what the hugh push for the craft fair did for me. When I am in a busy/stressed new situation, tend to fall back on old ingrained habits. I am having difficulty transfering what I learned at home to hectic food stimulating environments. Working on it but not consistant enough and have slowed down my losing rate.

I really like the idea of only eat what is in the bag. thanks- going to use it in the future. PS this is way we post here so those thins don't think we are boring /strange and help each other win in losing weight. thanks

Maryblu-could you share some info on fat smashers? How do you detox?

BillblueEyes-Work on forgiving your minor slip ups-good. But how the heck do we stop this "quicky" bites in new places. particuliary if it is quality foods-I would forgo some poorly made frozen stuff-but a fine cheese with pear gets me curious. This is actually how sometimes I learn to use new foods for new tastes. Had BBQ white peaches with blue cheese and thought they were great-nice easy but elegant fairly low cal dessert.

since you had the plan-what would could have reminded you to stop the second helping? I ask as I am trying to some visual clue to stop over eating when out of the house. I am so good when I near my scales and recording as I am going along-Am I truly just being rebelious when out of the house or when we have guests- Maybe if I can record every bite in a small notebook even when I am around guests ( boy that would be wierd to do a dinner party) or when I am out for a meal. Anyway trying to figure out some back up to when I don't catch the sabatoging thoughts.

laying low today as we both got bad colds and I re-annoyed my back last night. I hope to be up by Wed.

Billblueeyes-I am surprised that the hummingbird feeder isn't busy-wrong time of year? Ours are year round here. They love the nastursiums which are prolific here.

good thoughts to all
sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 11-26-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 AM   #94  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Ate on plan but little exercise due to over booked schedule yesterday. Oh, well.

Really enjoyed Clementine's for my evening snack yesterday. It's the season to always have a box of them in the fridge. Makes the whole fridge look healthy. Last Saturday we had Clementine's in the car during our outing; I looked forward to the first one being peeled; the odor filled the small car with freshness and health. So much joy in such a small package.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Re: "Wow I realize I have food rules" For me, that's a good thing. My sampling rule is part of my food plan. For example, I skipped (3 times!!) the Cape Cod potato chips set out in Whole Foods. I used to eat them under the rationalization that I was taking care of my need for potato chips - thus avoiding a LARGE consumption later. But, I think that's bogus. I only need potato chips because they're in my face. Skipping them didn't leave me feeling deprived.

Your lunch bag seems like a stellar idea. You bring a portable food environment. You can look forward to the snacks in the bag. Other food temptations are reduced. Since I take my lunch and 2 snacks to work each day, that seems logical to me. Just ignore those thins who think it odd, LOL.

The notion of Desire helped me, especially when about to serve myself seconds because food was visible, or because others were having seconds. I had previously thought that I was still Hungry. This chapter helped me to be more comfortable with the benefit of staying out of site of the buffet tables and appetizer tables at a party situation. I have a history of hanging around the buffet table.

LOL at you shopping for a doctor who denies you permission to do the hunger exercise. Naughty Ann, LOL. I initially thought that exercise was sorta dumb - I've skipped lunch before. But my memory of skipping lunch is about how hungry I had been. When I did the exercise, I was surprised that the hunger passed in about 15 minutes, and I didn't think about hunger until the time of my afternoon snack. What I learned from that changed my concept of being hungry - it's just a feeling, which may not be completely true (or may not need emergency response). Now, I'm really glad I did the exercise, and recommend it to anyone who reads the Beck book.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Ouch on your re-annoyed back; wish you fast healing.

It does sound like you would benefit from packing a larger "bag" when tackling a fair. You might have to pack it the evening before if you're likely to skip it because the morning is so busy.

In Massachusetts we have Ruby Throated Hummingbirds in season - no others at all. But even so, they have never found my small city yard. "Prolific nasturtiums" !!!! Don't I wish.

MaryBlu - Waving.

Readers - Hunger is not an emergency. It's a feeling. The next meal/snack is scheduled soon.

Completed Beck Program-day 32. 10 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Thanks for asking!

Oh, thank you, Sue for asking about Fat Smash. It is such a healthy way to eat. I never did buy the book; I just followed what the 3FC review said to do. Was probably the best, because from what I understand, there is some confusion caused by following the book. So, here in a nutshell is what I have interpreted to be Phase I detox..follow for 9 days, then add some meat, fish, etc....like South Beach Phase II... When you dofollow PI, you get about 1300 to 1400 calories and more than 35 gms. of fiber.

Unlimited fruits and vegetables..cooked or uncooked. Just no potatoes or avocados..may use a little bit of olive oil..some wishbone spritzer for salad, etc. I just use common sense and don't worry about "allowed"..when you run it all through myfitday, it is all low cal,low fat, and high fiber.

2 glasses of skim milk per day, if desired
2 6-oz servings of yogurt if desired...no sugar, low fat
1 c. old-fashioned oatmeal, if desired
2 c. (up to 2 cups) of brown rice, if desired
4 egg whites (up to 4, if desired)

So a typical day for me always includes kefir (instead of yogurt)..low fat, plain

Oatmeal, milk, frozen blueberries

salad
rice/pepper/veggie/beans/salsa
citrus fruit

apple (still have my own dear Honeycrisps)

roasted vegetables..especially kale or cauliflower
egg white/hominy/bean/onion/pepper stir fry

There is a Fat Smash thread...and the 3FC review....just don't get too hung up in "allowed"..you can't lose with the basics

The only tough part for me, and it is a bugger, is that I do biz lunches at least 2 times per week..and it is usually something already arranged...really tough

Bill, glad you can talk someone into tackling the horseradish grinding. Have you found any roots? I hear you are supposed to do it only in the months with an "r" in them....for my neighbors, that is "Aurgust"...
Old 11-28-2007, 04:14 AM   #96  

hello to you all,

just a short note to wish everyone success. Really been a a big bump today-very sore back and bad cold. I ate very little as have no sense of taste or smell. One of those rare days when food has no appeal to me.

Maryblue thanks for the info-sort of tired of cal counting and bit bored-This FAt Smashers sound like a change-I'll check out the other posting on it. It would get more veggies in me-.

Really been thinking about ordering a small hand held cal counter on line. It is interesting that once I stop recording every bite-when out of the house and when we have company- I then over eat. maybe doing something concrete looking at current cal count would help temper the desire/cravings and the mindless response. I use fitday but it is a bit of pain to have to start the computer after any food and impossible with company or when out.

take care
sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 11-28-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #97  
Super Moderator

Default Wednesday - Hump Day

Ate on plan and had a good gym day yesterday. I increased, just slightly, the number of reps in my chest press with dumbbells. That's important for me because my head gets back into being positive about the gym when I'm improving. CREDIT moi.

Still preparing for my three day trip this weekend. The big deal is because both adult kids and DS's GF are coming with us. I've rented a minivan so we can all drive in one vehicle. Having the standard concern that the rental place won't have the car we've reserved when I go to pick it up Friday morning. There's no benefit to worrying, I know. Does Beck have a chapter on not worrying about the things that aren't under our control?

My computer has crashed a second hard disk within a week, so I'm in recovery mode, including posting without my spell checker. I haven't abandoned completing Beck days, but that may be on hold until I get my computer stabilized and get back from my trip. Day 33 is "Eliminate Emotional Eating", so it's a big one for me to complete. Calling these "complete" seems presumptuous anyway, but I accept that it means "completion of reading the chapter and doing the checklist." Emotional eating is the visible elephant in the living room.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Waving.

Still pondering Learn the Difference Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings. Desire is so capable of coming in under my radar, looking like a MUST BE SATISFIED NEED. When I'm prepared, I can see what it is. When I'm caught by surprise, I respond emotionally. It's a good place for me to invest energy trying to identify what's going on before I move my hand to my mouth.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Sorry to hear that the back pain remains, with a cold to add to your distress. Hope it clears up for you.

On the other hand, a few days of having no desire for food isn't such a bad thing, LOL.

MaryBlu - LOL at "Aurgust". Reminds me that I, too, have great skills at rationalization. I used them to support my continuous grazing during my weight gaining years. It's my fear of the resurgence of my rationalization skills that makes me anxious when I start eating two samples at Whole Foods. I've been on my healthy lifestyle journey for 26 months but still feel that the slippery slope is just to the left or right of each foot step.

Thanks for the Fat Smash micro-tutorial. The word "detox" tends to put me off, but, by your description, I can see that it's a period of breaking a habit and it makes good sense.

Readers - May you be on plan today and may you feel comfortable giving yourself credit for doing so.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-29-2007 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Typo's, ran spellcheck.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default I appreciate you all so much!

I do, all of you!

BillBlueEyes, special thanks to you for leading us all.....if we all could just focus on Beck everyday, we would be fine. I do know exactly what you mean about "detox" turning you off. The reason I saw the Fat Smash book on the shelf and walked by it for so long is that is seemed so "faddish". Couple that with the link to Biggest Loser or Celebrity Fit Club, or whatever W$%@%^@%$%^ TV reality show to which it is attached, and make it a NO WAY, NO HOW kind of book. I never did buy it, and that was a good thing.......Here is why.......

Apparently, there are some contraditions, not certain "rules" in the book. Lots of the posters on the Fat Smash thread are asking the "Is this allowed?" question. The great thing about following just what the 3FC review outlined is, it is easy and simple..so what if you use a bit of olive oil? So what if you use the Wishbone Spritzer? Compared to what most of us ate getting fat, is a little bit of "not allowed" this or that going to keep us from losing wt?

HECK NO!!!

Let's all just do it--whatever we have decided our plan is!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 PM   #99  
newlifestyle

Hello all

Maryblu, You are so right.

Also, I like the way you explained the way you do the FS detox. It does seem like it would be healthy for you. Thank you for sharing it.

Hi Bill, I am also thankful you are leading us. Making us accountable, giving us suggestions to help make this journey a bit easier (for lack of a better word). Thank you.

Sue, I do hope your back gets better. I can only imagine it would be really painful.

Day 13 Decrease Hunger and Cravings

Find distraction techniques, that take your attention away from eating.

By skipping or postponing a meal today you can practice these techniques.

Distractions could be taking a shower or bath,
do a crafts project,
work in the garden,
read a book or magazine,
plan a trip.
brush your teeth.

day 14, Get Ready for Tomorrow
Tomorrow I will start my primary diet.
I have to remember that I can modify my diet in advance to have small portions of whatever I want from time to time.so I don't have to overdo it today.
Think of activities you'll need to do tomorrow and for the rest of the week. Whether I need to pack a lunch, grocery shop, need extra time to prepare food.
plan my meals in advance.

I am off to plan my meals for the day.

Have a wonderful evening everyone.

Ann
Old 11-29-2007, 02:39 AM   #100  

Hi guys,

A rather uncomfortable time for me, but both cold and sore back are getting better. One thing I noticed was without a sense of smell and/or taste I have lost some weight-The only sensation I noticed was hunger. I had no cravings and/or desire-food was just a textured pieces of stuff in a broth. chicken and veggie in broth. Stopped when I felt full-I just did not have all the old responses of-Oh it tasted so good, I smell the onions, ect . eating was so uncomplicated for me-I need to bottle a spray to deaden my taste and scent abilities while I diet. It is so much easier without all the emotions tied to scents and tastes. chocolate is so boring when I can't even taste it.

BillBlueeyes-sorry about your computer-hope that it is fixed soon-Your weekend outing sounds great-It is fun to be with adult children-We see the the individual families but very rarely get us all togther. -sounds very special for you all. Stopping emotional eating is a HUGH task for me to master-I get some improvement and then once an again succumb to it's poisonous charms.

Ann, I have lent my Beck book and please refresh me again about the difference between craving and desire.-If I can see the food-and then want it is that more desire? Anyway how important do you think the labels are? It is the old idea of wanting to eat more than my body can healthly handle. I actually like the day of skipping my lunch-interesting in that hunger really comes and goes and can be forgotten and ignored. I can ignore hunger better than emotional reasons for eating. thanks for your posting and good luck on tomarrow.

MaryBlu So good to have you posting again. here's to success on fat smashers.

sue
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 AM   #101  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday with new Hard Drive

Ate on plan yesterday. Took two good walks, Feeling back in the groove. CREDIT moi.

Still preparing for my 3 day weekend like I was traveling to Antarctica. Bringing family to visit family is both comfortable and tense. Cousins are already making their own plans via text messages, so the adults may find our carefully orchestrated plans Overcome By Events when the young adults have skipped out for their own plans, leaving us to babysit. We can be pretty certain though that they will congregate where there is free food.

My brown bag lunch today will be unusually elegant thanks to leftovers: cold broiled tuna, quinoa with black bean with tomatoes, salad. Am already drooling.

Thanks all for your kind words. I, too, am finding this thread very helpful in my journey. I read your posts very carefully, and take your suggestions to heart. We are being diet coaches to one another.

MaryBlu - Thanks for keeping us focused with:
Quote:
so what if you use a bit of olive oil? So what if you use the Wishbone Spritzer? Compared to what most of us ate getting fat, is a little bit of "not allowed" this or that going to keep us from losing wt?
For me, the issue isn't an occasional large meal or extra treat. The issue is losing focus on mindful eating. As long as I remain responsible, I'll have access to my ability to recover.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - I can modify my diet in advance to have small portions of whatever I want from time to time. Good to be reminded that Beck is against hard rules about specific foods. Just hard rules about No Choice. If you plan it, you can do it. That works for me given my last several days postings that when caught by surprise, I respond with emotional eating. (I sure look forward to BillBlueEyes putting up Day 33 about Emotional Eating; he really has no excuse to dawdle about.)

Sending good vibes to Ann planning her food for tomorrow.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Ouch Ouch on your back and cold. Sending good thoughts your way.

On the other hand, we could form a company and get rich from your discovery that deadened smell leads to weight loss. The CostalSue Diet Spray will make $$$$millions. You will be on Oprah. The world will think you a genius. We'll have such fun.

Readers - There is power in working the Beck plan with a diet coach. And there is always room for one more. [ /font=proselyting]

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-29-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Typo: specific rules=>specific foods.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #102  
newlifestyle

Hello all.

Sue on day 11 it says

Has it been at least a couple of hours since you late ate, does your stomach feel empty and could you feel satisfied if you ate a range of foods? If so you are probably hungry.

Does your stomach feel reasonably comfortable, but you just feel like eating? If so that's probably a desire.

Do you have a strong urge to eat a particular food or kind of food, with a yearning in your mouth, throat, or body? If so that is probably a craving.

I hope that makes sense.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
Amm
Old 11-30-2007, 05:37 AM   #103  
Super Moderator

Arrow Completed Beck Program-day 33: Eliminate Emotional Eating

from the Beck DIET Solution: (Available thru the 3FC Store) http://astore.amazon.com/3fatchionad...216363-1799918
Quote:
People without a weight problem don’t think of eating to feel better.

There is nothing wrong with having negative emotions. They’re just nature’s way of telling us there’s a problem. Do you think that you can’t tolerate negative emotions? You can! Of course, you don’t like feeling upset. But negative emotions aren’t dangerous. Nothing bad will happen to you. You won’t fall apart. Given enough time, negative emotions – just like cravings – will subside on their own. You don’t have to eat. A negative emotion is not an emergency.

Food can be an effective distractor – temporarily. But eating doesn’t solve the problem that led to your distress in the first place.

Fortunately, you’ve already developed many of the skills you’ll need for dealing with emotional eating. You’ll use the same techniques learned to tolerate the unpleasant sensations of hunger and craving and to decrease your urges to eat.

Use Mindset Techniques:
1. Label how you’re feeling.
2. Stand Firm.
3. Don’t give yourself a choice.
4. Imagine the aftermath of giving in.
5. Read your Advantages Response Card.

Use Behavioral Techniques:
1. Distract yourself using your My Distraction Activities Chart from Day 13.
2. Drink a soothing no- or low-calorie beverage.
3. Relax – use breathing technique
You have to deal with distress in non-food-related ways if you want to sustain permanent weight loss.

The more you practice these mindset and behavioral techniques, the better you’ll get at them.
My eating lived here. Fat, happy, and comfortably wallowed here. Especially for tension. Nothing seemed like a better idea than oatmeal raisin cookies to resolve the tension of a problem that was hanging. Nothing was less effective at solving the problem, or of even making the feeling go away. So, of course, I’d scoff a few more cookies, or cheese and crackers, or Hersey’s bars from the vending machine. The more it didn’t work, the harder I’d work at eating to make the feeling go away. You’d think I deserved some credit for choosing a method of solving the problem and staying the course, LOL. Don’t change horses in the middle of a stream.

It never worked, and I always felt worse because of the excess eating. Yet, I continued with the same solution every time I felt the tension.

It’s embarrassing for me to write here how ingrained has been my strategy to use food to attempt to make a feeling go away. It only worked VERY temporarily, but I kept doing it - the very definition of insanity.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #104  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up On the Road - TGIF

Starting out for my weekend trip in a few minutes. I've just picked up the minivan - we got upgraded to a Chrysler over the Chevy. It's just a bit bigger for the months worth of luggage that always seems to follow us on the shortest of trips.

Glad to get Program-day 33 completed this morning. I recognized that I was dawdling for emotional reasons - it just looked like a hard step. SO, I said, Just Do It, and did. It wasn't so hard to "complete," but might be a continuing challenge to incorporate into my life. This and the next day, Solving Problems, seem to be the core strategies to take with us. Good reason for an emotional response; these strategies are to tackle all the feelings for which I eat. It is a good feeling, however, to feel like we are beginning here to grapple with some hard stuff that may have big payoffs.

For my travels I've adopted a plus 25% eating plan. Two lunches and four snacks in the car are just fine; all food of my selection. Three BIG meals with family present minor challenges because of abundance of food. Two breakfasts at the motel are larger challenges because they are a FREE hot breakfast. I've been known to fall for bad packaged waffles cooked hot right before my eyes, bad pastries sitting in tall stacks, and sausages of unknown origin because they are FREE and I don't eat them at home. So, I'll use most of my extra allocation to get out of breakfast on plan. Am hoping that they have the usual buffet items of hard boiled eggs and mixed fresh fruits. I will start with these and leave less room for the stuff I wish I didn't eat at all.

With any luck, the hotel will have a free internet connection and I'll be able to use your support as always.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Thanks for the clarification between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings. I had forgotten the strong physical differences.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Hope the back and cold are healing.

MaryBlu - Waving. I'll be traveling with the notion that there isn't anything that I can't eat; but that I'll always eat mindfully.

Readers - Given enough time, negative emotions – just like cravings – will subside on their own. You don’t have to eat. A negative emotion is not an emergency.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-30-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Copy/paste MaryBlu's name correctly.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #105  

HI guys,

just a short posting to say hello-still in a bit of crabby pain haze-Earlier today I wrote a longer posting and then just closed the window without actually posting what I wrote.

emotional eating in the critical issue for me. Really hope to spend some time on this.

BillBlueEyes sound like you have a great plan for this long weekend-hope you enjoy the gather. I actually send DH down to the hotel buffets-He returns with only acceptable food-I am still at the monkey see, monkey eat level of sabatiging behaviors.

Hi to all
have a good weekend
sue
Closed Thread