Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Amazing eggplant

2 large or 3 medium eggplant (the long, thin ones, often called japanese or asian eggplant)
1 onion, any variety (about the size of a tennis ball)
2-3 T coconut oil
Fish sauce such as three crabs brand, optional but worth the investment (see below), about 2 teaspoons
2 T pad thai paste (ketchup or all fruit apricot spread)

In a large skillet, over medium heat, add coconut oil.
Chop the onion into about 1 inch pieces, add to pan.
Saute until onions are translucent (but not yet browning).
Dice eggplant into approximately one inch cubes.
Add eggplant and stir well.
Cover and reduce heat to a low simmer ( on my electric stove it is #3 setting)

Simmer for about 10-20 min. It's time to add the seasonings when the eggplant is soft and translucent, but still holding its shape (if it's already collapsing, no big deal) Add remaining ingredients (or the seasonings of your choice), stir to blend, recover and simmer until the eggplant pieces have collapsed and become very soft, with a creamy, melt-in-your- mouth texture.

Serve as a side-dish or as a meatless main dish. Tonight I had about 1/2 the recipe with 1/2 cup wild rice as my dinner.

Notes

Eggplant - the asian eggplants work best, because they're not bitter and the skins are thin and edible, so you don't have to peel or salt to leach out the bitterness, because there is none. If you can find an asian market, the eggplant and the seasonings will usually be much cheaper than in most supermarkets.

Fish sauce - Whenever someone asks for my recipes for spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, caesar salad dressing, taco meat... and other basic dishes, it's usually the fish sauce replacing the salt and/or Worcestershire sauce that sets my recipe apart from their own. Unless you add way too much, there is no noticeable hint of fishy flavor or aroma - it just adds a subtle depth of flavor. I almost never use Worcestershire sauce, because fish sauce tastes better AND is much cheaper.

Soy sauce (and most asian seasonings and vegetables) also worth seeking out an asian market or grocery store, because you can buy high-quality gourmet soysauces (usually in much larger bottles) for the same price as what you'd find in a typical supermarket.

Rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar - even though not used in this recipe, this is also worth considering (even if you don't have access to an asian grocery store, most supermarkets will carry it). Milder than most vinegars, it's great for salad dressings, because little or no oil is needed to counterbalance the tartness, can be used in place of other vinegar (it's too weak for most non-asian pickle recipes).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

I love eggplant! I'll be trying this out once spring comes round again.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #3  
Goal: flight

S/C/G: 250/245/165

Height: 5'7"

Sounds delicious! I have never heard of asian eggplant- gonna check it out for sure.
OthelloLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #4  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

I'm going to try this, eggplant is currently super cheap here (summer).

I made this recipe for the past two weeks: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...ne-stew-123769, with added preserved lemon (which I made a couple of years ago with free lemons from a friend). It's got a similar savory flavour and adds a bit of oompf to the dish.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Wecome back, Couch! Your Moroccan recipe sounds really good, but I have never had chickpeas in any other form except for hummus. Can never hurt to try.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

We grow the Asian Eggplant as well as Thai Basil and if you want a wonderful dish. Sweet Basil Eggplant. YUM!

Last edited by grannynancy; 02-24-2018 at 04:37 PM.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #7  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaWestern View Post
I like eggplants also. But my hobby is to create something new. For instance, I added this great red caviar to the eggplant with cheese with several more species. The result was unbelievable. It became my favorite meal.
Yes! me too!)
I like to make origami or quilling.
Found good advices here - https://oneperfectdayblog.net/
JasseJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #8  

Quilling... yes!!
it's my favourite!)
I like this - cute Quilling Fish )))
booo57 is offline   Reply With Quote