Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #1  

Default Problem: The Opposite of Constipation

Okay, sorry for the grossness of this post, but here goes:

Um, has anyone had a non-constipation problem, i.e. the runs? It started for me about a week ago and over the weekend I broke down and had some bread to see if it made a difference, and it did stop the diarrhea for a day or two.

I am in phase II now, but I have been eating just the same as I've eaten in Phase I, with the addition of a few more carbs. (I have a lot of weight to lose, and I heard extending Phase I was a possibility)

I haven't been eating anything out of the ordinary, and I am not having symptoms of the stomach flu that might be the explantion for the frequent bathroom trips.

Has this happened to anyone? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:27 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Hmmm... that's bizarre. Maybe Ruth can help you.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Poop expert checking in!

I had the "runs" for months this fall and ended up getting it checked out by the doc via stool samples. Everything was OK. He said it was probably stress and suggested I just keep taking immodium. I also found that eating more carbs (bread!) helped a bit. I also nearly completely eliminated salads! That being said, I didn't lose a damned pound either!

Perhaps you could post menus for a few days to see if we spot something amiss. I would also suggest you take extra potassium as long as the problem persists.

Sorry not to be of more help.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #4  
Reeling Reverend

Something I am, unfortunately, an expert on... Leafy greens seem to exaserbate the problem, for sure. I went through all kinds of tests, etc. etc. etc. and nothing. Then, I figured out it was coffee. Do you have a lot of caffeine? It never used to effect me, then overnight, did.

Veggies will definitely clear ya out. CHeese certainly doesn't, so you might add some to the salads, etc.?? Hope this helps...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Good point, Caity. It might be something that isn't "sitting well". I can't eat raisins and a few other things without some serious problems. Try eliminating a few things, Overfedup.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:35 PM   #6  
I'm a Core Newbie!

S/C/G: 246.2/155

Height: 5'6"

Twice in the past, this has happened to me with no illness. Both times, after a month or more of dealing with it, I visited the chiropractor for unrelated issues, and after having my lower back adjusted, it cleared right up! There's a nerve in the lower back that leads to the bowels - when it's pinched, it can mess things right up.

GL!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 AM   #7  

Poop expert! That is cracking me up!

I will work on the menus. I haven't been eating excessive amounts of leafy greens or anything, but I do drink a lot of coffee. The coffee never had this much of an effect on me before, but maybe with the different food I'm eating, it's um, being more effective.

Thank you guys so much! I had convinced myself I was going a bit crazy there for awhile, but I feel so much better now that I know this has happened to others.

I'm gonna cut back on the coffee ASAP! Heh!
Old 02-20-2004, 02:22 PM   #8  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Overfedup, I have the same problem. For me, it's lettuce and spinach and everything else leafy. I still eat a salad almost every day, and I know I'll be visiting the bathroom directly after eating, but I love salads! I know if I cut them out, I won't lose weight. For me it has gotten a little better since I switched from iceburg lettuce to boston lettuce and raw spinach salads.MMmmmm!
Caity, coffee also does it to me! I only have a cup every now and then. I miss my coffee! You're right about the cheese on the salad thing too. If I put a little extra cheese on my salad, it doesn't affect me as much.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:15 PM   #9  
Reeling Reverend

AHA!! In my infinite poop wisdom... I forgot the KILLER of all killers. Have you been having sugar alcohols? They KILL me. Really, I nearly have to be resucitated. AWFUL, I tell you, AW-FUL. Splenda and I are best buds, but I'll take malitol in the ring anytime!!
Old 02-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

I have a question. I'm starting the diet soon and I am wondering if people who had previous problems have had their problems fixed by changing to this diet. I have to take immodium with me everywhere I go and I am miserable a lot, and I'm just wondering if anyone has had problems before and they were fixed by changing their eating habits to match this diet.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:25 PM   #11  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Lizzi- I am the same way. For people who have chronic diarhea, doctors normally recommend a whole foods diet. Which just so happens to be what SBD pretty much is. But you probably have your own trigger foods. Leafy greens and tomatoes are good whole foods, but they really piss off my stomach. They say that so many Americans have Irritable Bowel Syndrome because of all the processed foods we eat. Alot of the time when they process foods the process itself ends up taking out the enzymes that help you digest it. Thus, upsetting your stomach. Unfortunately alot of the damage has already been done, but it can get better with the whole foods diet. Start Phase 1 off with foods that you are pretty sure don't upset your tummy. Keep a food diary and every day add in a couple new phase 1 foods. If your stomach gets upset wait till you get over it and then try it again a few days later to be sure. Once you know your triggers you can avoid them. I still get an upset stomach every now and then, which is much better than dealing with it every day like I used to. Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2004, 05:55 PM   #12  
Pending Email Confirmation

Yeah. I'm pretty used to it. Actually so much so that if I am not having to take the immodium I feel like there is something wrong. How sad it that? *LOL* I probably have IBS, but I am too chicken to go to the Dr for the umm.. what's that test called? colonoscopy? That one. *shudders* thank you no. *L*
I do notice that caffiene really sets it off, as does over processed foods. I do feel better if I eat fresher foods. I really am excited about starting this diet (as soon as we go grocery shopping this month) I just feel so gross when we eat the processed stuff. I really hope that this will help me with my problems. Good to know I'm not alone on this. Although, i'm really sorry for anyone else who has to run to the toilet as much as me *L*
Closed Thread