Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 12:35 PM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Post Sugar Busters Recipe Collection Year 2000 Board

This is a compilation of the RECIPE BOARDS FROM 2000 The SUGAR BUSTERS RECIPE BOARDS began in MAY 2000 and we've compiled many wonderful SB LEGAL RECIPES since then.

To see the original boards, just click on the links below:

DECEMBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2357

NOVEMBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2356

OCTOBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2355

SEPTEMBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2354

AUGUST 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2353

JULY 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2352

MAY/JUNE 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2351

If you find a bad link to any of the recipe boards, please take a moment to let me know so I can fix the problem. THANKS!

Last edited by Debelli; 01-20-2002 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:38 PM   #2  

Default MAY 2000

Posted by Nebr Nel on 05-17-2000 07:01 PM:

Low GI Pancake

Very simple and delicious. Serve with sugar-free syrup or I use fruit spread (lightly)

2 eggs
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 Tbsp oil
3/8 cup rolled oats (regular uncooked oatmeal)
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Sugar Substitute

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until well mixed, less than 10 seconds.

Grease and preheat a griddle. Drop batter by 1/8 cupfulls onto hot surface. Turn pancakes when bubbles appear on surface and cook an additional minute, until lightly golden.

Yield, 8 small pancakes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Debelli on Songbird28 on 05-01-200 at 04:06 AM:

MeatBalls:

3/4 lb. ground beef (perferably sirlion)
1/2 cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
1 egg beaten
1 TB half and half
2 TB Parmesan
2 TB minced garlic (I add more)
1/4 cup minced parsley
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
salt and fresh pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil

1)Heat up you tomatoe sauce.
2)blend all ingredients except olive oil, in a bowl, shape mixture into 12 or so balls the same size
3) heat the oil in a large enough skillet to hold the balls with out crowding. Brown on all sides over medium heat.
4) Once browed put in sauce for at least 15 minutes.

CHILI (so easy to make)

2 cans kidney beans
2 TB olive oil
I med. onion chopped
3 ribs celery
1 med green pepper
6 garlic cloves
2 TB chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. oregano
2 bay leaves
salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (be careful w/ this stuff!!!!
1 16 oz. can unsweetened tomatoe sauce
2 med tomatoes chopped or one can unsweeted chopped tomatoes
1 cup vegtable stock or water

1) In a large pot heat the olive oil over med heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Cover and cook stirring occasionally for about 7 min.
2) Add all spices, beans tomatoe sauce, tomatoes, and water/stock. Cook Partially covered for 20 minutes.

THAT"S IT!!!

YELLOW PEPPER SOUP

2 TB Olive oil
3 LArge yellow Peppers
4 shallots finely chopped
1 1/2 cup ram cashews
3 1/2 Vegtable stock
1 tsp. dry mustard
salt
pepper

1) Heat oil over med heat. Add peppers and shallots, cover and cook untill peppers are
very soft, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

2) Put the nuts and 1 1/2 cup of stock in blender and blend about 1 minute - until smooth. Add the peppers, mustard, salt and pepper and puree' again.

3) Put the soup in a stock pot, add the rest of the stock and bring to a simmer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GatorGal posted 05-04-2000

My recipe for the day:

Roasted Cornish Game Hens with 40 garlic cloves
This is yummy when you have company or just want to treat yourself. It's not too difficult.
4 Cornish hens
3 heads garlic--Yep, heads, not cloves!
3 T minced parsley, preferably fresh
3/4 C chicken stock
1/2 C White wine
salt and pepper to taste
squeeze of lemon juice
butter as desired
Blanch the separated heads of garlic--will produce about 40 cloves of garlic--in boiling water for 10 min. and drain.
Rub the hens with a little butter and season with salt and pepper. Roast on one side for 10 min. in a 425F oven. Turn the hens over to the other side and roast for 10 more minutes. While the hens are roasting, slip the skins off the garlic cloves. After the second 10 min. roasting, reduce the heat to 375 and turn the hens breast side up. Sprinkle all the cloves around the hens and roast for 20 min. more or until the hens are browned and juices run clear when pricked with a skewer.
Remove the hens to a platter and, with a slotted spoon, arrange the garlics over the hens. Skim the fat from the pan juices and deglaze the pan over high heat with the 1/2 C white wine, scraping up the browned bits. Add 3/4 C chicken broth and reduce over high heat to about 1/2 Cup. Add parsley, season to taste and cook about 30 seconds more. Squeeze in a bit of lemon juice and swirl in some butter if desired. Pour over cornish hens and enjoy.
Debelli posted 05-04-2000

CRUSTLESS SPINACH QUICHE

3oz 1/3 LESS FAT PHILLY CHREAM CHEESE,softened
1C Milk ( I use skim)
2 large eggs
1 carton Egg Beaters (to equal 2 eggs)
2C 50% less fat shredded cheddar cheese (I used Cabots)
1 10oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and very well drained (squeeze, squeeze, squeeze! - if too much moisture is in it, quiche will be wet)
1C frozen chopped broccoli, thawed & well drained (squeeze too)
1/2 small onion, chopped
5 fresh mushrooms, sliced thin (approx. 1/2c)
1/4tsp pepper
1/2tsp salt

In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese. Add milk eggs and egg sub., salt and pepper. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaingin ingredients. Transfer to a 10in quich pan coated with nonstick cooking spray (I used a pie dish). Bake 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out pretty clean. Serves 8.

I was able to figure out the nutrition values, which I believe are correct:

Servings 8

Per serving:

Carbos 7
Fat 6
Calolries 133
Protein 14

Here's a new one I really love, great tasting and good fiber content!

BEAN SALAD

1 19oz CAN DARK RED KIDNEY BEANS
1 19ozCAN CHICK PEAS (I like Hannover Brand)
1 15ozCAN LIMA BEANS
(if you can't find those size cans, something close to it, doesn't have to be exact)
1/4C parsley, finely chopped
1small red onion, sliced into rings, then in half (or smaller pieces, if you so desire)
1clove garlic
1tsp salt
1/4tsp pepper
1/4C FRESH lemon juice
1/4C olive oil

Put all 3 cans of beans together in a collander and rinse with cold water and let drain. Place in your serving dish. Add your onions and parsley.

In a small bowl put the garlic clove and the salt and mash it together (I use a wooden mallet). Add your lemon juice, pepper & oil and mix well. Pour over beans. Put in fridge and let marinate 1-2hours. Mix well before serviing.

NOTE: Recipe calls for 1/4 cup olive oil, though I sometimes use a bit less and it still tastes great!
jenango posted 05-04-2000

Bread Recipe

1pkg dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar ( so the yeast has something to eat)
1 1/8 cup of warm water
3tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp artificial sweetner
1 cup wheat gluten flour
1 cup soy flour
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/4 cup oat bran---course unprocessed
put liquids in bottom of bread maker and then add powders.
whole loaf has 72 .5 carbs and 24.25 gm fiber,subtract fiber and you have 2.99 carbs per slice.
Since the yeast eats the sugar, you get none.
It tastes great
Songbird28 posted 05-04-2000

Recipe for the day:

Granny Smith Chicken

4 chicken breasts
fresh pepper
salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 TSP olove oil
1 onion (I use leeks)
3 garlic cloves
1/2 cup rice wine or sherry
1 TSP fresh minced parsley or 1 tsp. dried
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 granny smith apples sliced
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice (I like cheddar)

1)Season chicken with salt and pepper. (watch the salt if using rice wine - it is very salty). Brown chicken in butter and oil in a large skillet.
2)Add the onion and garlic and saute' for 3 min.
3)Add the sherry or rice wine and spices. Cover and simmer for 20 min.
4)Add the apples and simmer for for 5 more min. Add milk and simmer for 5 min. more.
5)Transfer all to an over proff casserole. Sprinkle with the cheese and place in over at about 350 until cheese melts.

It is REALLY good. (you can omit the apples too if you want) The other thing is that you csn take out the last two steps and vary the spices and type of wine to make up all sorts of different recipes. For Example I split the wine with red wine and add toatoe paste. Enjoy!
jenango posted on 05-11-2000

This is our favourite dish...and so easy

Chicken Parmesan:

3 or 4 chicken breast halves
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup heavy cream (SB can use milk)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes
Place chicken breasts in baking dish & broil about 5" from heat for 5 min.
Reset oven to 400 degrees.
Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl. You want a sour cream texture. Add more cream if necessary
Paint breast with mixture and put in oven until done ( about 30 - 40 min)
GatorGal posted 05-11-2000

My recipe for the day:

The best SB crispy "fried" fish

Any fresh filets that you like, in the proper amount that you need

Shredded Wheat and Bran cereal
Small amount of oil to coat the bottom of non-stick pan by about 1/4 inch
Milk

To prepare:

Pulverize about 1 C cereal in food processor or blender till finely chopped. Pour into pie plate or sheet of waxed paper. Soak fish filets for about 30 min. in enough milk to cover. Take each filet from milk and dredge in shredded cereal. Put into med hot skillet and cool until crispy brown on both sides. Remove to paper towel to drain. Salt and pepper to taste.
This is yummy because it is so CRUNCHY!! Fresh fish works the best.
Debelli 05-11-2000
---------------------------------------------
TABOULI (The Queen of Lebanese Salads)

3 Large bunches of parsley
1/3 cup crushed whole wheat bulgur
2 cups warm water
4 green onions, with ends
1/4 cup fresh min (chopped) OR 2 tbsp. dry
2 large tomoatoes, diced small
1 1/2tsp salt
1/4tsp pepper
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
1/4 cup olive oil

Wash parsle well, drain and shake out excess moisture.

Soak crushed wheat in water in a large mixing bowl for about 5 minutes. Drain well. It should not be mushy. Set aside while preparing other ingredients.

Remove stems from parsley and discard. Chop parsley very fine (3 bunches should equal about 5 cups). Add to wheat.

Chop onions fine and add to the mixture along with the remaining ingredients.

If not serving immediately, do not add tomatoes and onions until just before serving. Toss well.

Serve with either romaine lettuce leaves or whole wheat pita bread, both are good for scooping the Tabouli. ENJOY!
JS posted 05-14-2000

Crawfish Cozumel

2 pounds crawfish tails (shrimp, crabmeat, or lobster meat would substitute well)
1 stick butter
1 onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 pint cream (skimmed evaporated milk could be substituted here)
1/3 cup parsley
salt to taste
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/2 pound Velveeta jalapeno Cheese diced
1 pound whole wheat fettucine
grated Parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in large pot. Add onions, celery, garlic and bell pepper. Saute until tender. Add the crawfish and cook for fifteen minutes. Stir in the cream, parsley, salt, and green onions and cook for another five minutes. Add the jalapeno cheese and stir until melted. While the crawfish is cooking, Cook the fettuccine according to package directions and drain. Mix the cooked fettuccine with the crawfish and top with Parmesan cheese. Serves 8.

I love this recipe. I got it out of the cookbook, Sugarfree Quick and Easy.
Posted by jenango on 05-19-2000 03:50 AM:

Breakfast muffin:
Just tried this, it will be great for you busy ladies!

1 pound Jimmy Dean Sausage browned, crumbled and drained
4 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Soy powder
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Beat together eggs, cream,and soy powder
Stir in cheese and sausage.
Spry muffin tin with pam, and fill
bake in preheated 350 oven for 20 -25 minutes
They will brown slightly on top, makes 12 @1 carb each
Posted by Debelli on 05-19-2000 08:01 AM:

Here's a salad my Mom makes for parties. Everyone loves it! The original calls for smashed Doritos, but for us SB people, you won't miss them!

TACO SALAD

1lb lean ground beef
1 1/2T chili powder
1 can dark kidney beans
1 head iceberg lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 small/med onions, chopped
1/2lb reduced fat mild cheddar cheese, grated
1pkg good seasons Italian salad dressing MIX-(prepared as on envelope)

Prepare salad dressing (great if you have a Good Seasons Cruet).
Brown ground beef and drain off grease. Add chili powder and drained kidney beans. mix together and cool. Break lettuce into large bowl. Add onions, cheese, ground beef mixture and tomatoes. Add salad dressing mixture just before serving and mix all together. ENOJY

(If you want to make it the traditional way, you can add 3/4 bag of Doritos, crushed).
Posted by Songbird28 on 05-19-2000 10:48 PM:

I had been having a hard time finding rice mixes that are SB legal and plain brown rice can get boooorrriiinnnggg. So I came up with this recipe:

INTERESTING BROWN RICE

1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
4 scallions or 1 leek sliced finely chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup raw cashews (or other nut - if you can't find raw nuts use the regular kind)
1 TB dried basil
2 tsp. thyme

Put rice and 1 cup water into a suace pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes. While the rice is cooking saute scallions and garlic in olive oil for about 5 min. add all other ingredients and saute for 7 minutes more. Add to cooked rice.

The great thing about this recipe is that you can substitute any spice or type of nut (or leave the nuts out) That way you can have a rice dish to fit with any other recipe. It is also really easy!

Enjoy!
Posted by Elisa on 05-25-2000 10:12 PM:

Here's a fav of mine. You can sub almost any cut of cooked chicken, beef, or pork for the meat with the sauce and veggies on top. The corn starch is illegal, but you can leave it out or sub a low carb alternative:

Swiss Beef Broil
Elisa J. Rush

¾ pound flank steak
Salt to taste
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, cut into chunks
1 small green bell pepper, cut into chunks
½ teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small can stewed tomatoes
½ teaspoon corn starch

Preheat oven to broil.

Slice meat diagonally, against the grain. Broil 10-12 minutes, stirring and draining once, until meat is done. Salt lightly.

While the steak is broiling, in a skillet combine the onions, pepper, thyme, garlic, and olive oil. Sauté until the onions are tender.

Drain the tomatoes, reserving the liquid. Combine tomato juice and corn starch. Add tomatoes and juice to vegetables. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently.

Spoon the veggies and sauce over the meat.

Elisa
Posted by Debelli on 05-26-2000 09:32 AM:

Here's my recipe for today! I haven't tried it yet, but I am sure to try it! If anyone does so before me (I'll do a follow up), please let me know how it comes out! Instructions are detailed, it seems!

100% WHOLE WHEAT FRENCH BREAD

1pkg. dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
5 1/2cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2tsp salt
1 1/2cups cold water

1.Dissolve yeast in warm water.
2.Stir whole wheat flour and salt together
3.Add yeast and cold water to flour mixture. Mix together.
4. Add at least 1/2 cup more cold water by wetting your hands as you knead.
5. Knead at least 20 minutes. Dough should be quite soft and silky.
6. Cover and let rise in a place that is cooler than 70 degrees for 2 1/2-3 hours.
7. Punch down gently with wet hands, trying not to tear the dough.
8. Cover and let rise again in a cool place for approx. 2 hours
9. Gently punch down and shape dough into 2 balls. Cover and let rest while you prepare the baking pans.
10. Dust baking sheet with sesamee seeds (it actually calls for cornmeal, which isn't in the ingredients list, so I thought sesamee seeds would be a good sub)
11. Shape dough into 2 long slim loaves. Place on baking sheets.
12. Let rise (uncovered) about 1 hour in a 70 degree place. 13. Cut slashes in loaf if desired 14. Preheat over to 450
15. Spray the proofed (raised) loaves with warm water. Quickly place in hot oven. Avoid heat loss from over.
16. For crustiness, place a shallow pan filled with boiling water on the oven rack
below the one on which the bread is baking.
17. After 10 min, reduce heat to 350. Continue baking until done, approx 25-30min.
Posted by LeahO on 05-26-2000 09:52 AM:

This is a favorite recipe of mine that I am delighted to note is SB legal!!

LEMON SHALLOT CHICKEN

For 2 servings:
2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs
1/2 tsp lemon-pepper (or black pepper)
1 tbsp butter or margarine
2 small or 1 large shallot, sliced
3 tbsps lemon juice, fresh or concentrate

Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry. Sprinkle evenly with lemon-pepper or pepper.
Melt butter over medium heat. Add chicken and half of the shallot. Cover, cook 5 minutes. Turn chicken over. Cover, cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in remaining shallot and lemon juice. Cover, reduce heat and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until shallot is tender and juice is slightly thickened.

Yum! Serve with brown rice or whole wheat pasta, the juice is delicious.
Posted by Barbee on 05-27-2000 08:55 AM:

Garden Salad

1 bag American Blend Dole Salad
4-5 slices Red Onion
4-6 Black Olives
2-4 Banana Peppers
1/2 c. ww Croutons
1 small tomato Quartered
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Chill one salad bowl in freezer for at least 30 minutes. Empty bag of salad in bowl. Place on top all vegetables, add cheese and your favorite salad dressing on top.

ENJOY
Posted by Barbee on 05-27-2000 08:58 AM:

Brown Derby Special French Dressing
(this is really good)

1/4 c. water
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. Equal
1 1/2tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c. olive oil
3/4 c. vegetable oil

Combine water, vinegar, suagr, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, and oils. Chill. Shake well before serving.
Posted by Barbee on 05-27-2000 09:12 AM:

Cafe au lait

1 c. skim milk
1 packet Equal, Sweet n Low - whatever you use
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. isntant coffee granules

Over medium-low heat, in a small saucepan, heat the milk, sweetener and cinnamon till it simmers.
Place coffee granules in a mug. Add hot milk mixture and stir till blended.

This is very good.
Posted by Barbee on 05-27-2000 09:15 AM:

Cranberry Orange Ice Tea

2 c. boiling water
6 cranberry herb tea bags
1/4 c. lemon juice
9 packets Equal or Sweet n Low
2 1/2 c. cold water
1 1/2 c. orange juice

In large pitcher, pour boiling water over tea bags. Steep for 5 minutes, remove tea bags and discard.
Stir in lemon juice and Equal until Equal dissolves.
Mix in cold water and orange juice.
Refrigerate until chilled and pour over ice.
Makes 6 cups.
Posted by JS on 05-27-2000 09:17 PM:

Okay here goes:

Chopped Salad

Any combination of chopped veggies, here is what I use.

Yellow or orange bell pepper
green pepper
red onion
zuccini
tomatoe
cucumber

To this I added greek olives, feta, and LaMartinique True French Vinaigrette.

To assemble: Place shredded lettuce in the bottom of individual bowls, added a generous helping of chopped veggies, feta and olives and dressing to taste.

Another version would be to add chopped cilantro, avocado, and black olives instead of greek olives, and shredded cheddar cheese instead of feta. To this, I make a dressing of "Sugarbusters" Ranch dressing mixed with equal parts of Pace Picante Sauce, and a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice. Mix together and pour on top of salad assembled the same as above.

I was also playing with a Chinese version, and an Italian version, but have not actually put it together yet, in my head.

Let me know if any of you try these, or post new versions that you try.

This is a great source of fiber, and a cool, light salad for a meal, or side dish, especially now when it is so hot.

JS
Posted by Mare-slp on 05-30-2000 07:26 AM:

Grilled Swordfish with Rosemary

1/2 cup white wine
5 cloves garlic,minced
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary, divided
4 (4 oz.) swordfish steaks
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
vegetable cooking spray
2 - 3 Tbs, Lemon juice (I prefer fresh)
1 Tbs. olive oil
lemon wedges for garnish

Combine wine, garlic, and 1/2 rosemary in an 8" square baking dish. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper, place in baking dish, turning to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Combine remaining rosemary, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl and set aside.

Spray grill with cooking spray and preheat.

Remove fish from marinade and grill about 4 -5 minutes on each side or until opaque white throughout.

Transfer to serving platter. Spoon on lemon-oil mixture and garnich with lemon wedges.

YUM-YUM!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Debelli; 01-20-2002 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:40 PM   #3  

Default JUNE 2000

Posted by GatorGal on 06-01-2000 11:19 PM:

Fried Cabbage Supreme

1 head cabbage
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 6 oz. can tomato juice
(or if you don't have one on hand, use a can
of tomatoes)

Slice the cabbage into small chunks. Heat about 2-3 T. olive oil in skillet until hot. Saute the cabbage in the oil until some of the pieces get a little browned, sort of like sauteed onions. Add salt and pepper to taste and pour the tomato juice over all the cabbage. Stir and cook for several minutes more, partially covered, until the cabbage is just tender and the tomato juice has cooked down is no longer watery. The cabbage should not be limp and cooked to death, but "al dente".
Posted by jenango on 06-02-2000 12:02 AM:

This is called Lynne's Chocolate

1 oz unsweetened chocolate (bar kind)
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 packets equal...I used splenda
1 oz crushed nuts
2 tbls sugar free peanut butter

you can add unsweetened coconut if desired or you can drop the peanut butter .
-melt chocolate and butter
-remove from heat and stir in cream and vanilla
-stir in sweetener, and fold in nuts
- on waxed paper,drop mixture by spoonfulls.
chill until firm. (I keep mine in freezer)

with peanut butter and walnuts, total carbs 20.8 / 2.8 carbs each
Posted by Barbee on 06-02-2000 07:09 AM:

VEGGIE CRUNCH WRAPS

This yields 4 sandwhich wraps.
Ingredients:
4 whole wheat tortillas (10 inch rounds)
3 cups packaged cole slaw mix
1 cup chopped tomato
3/4 cup chopped red and/or green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup rahcn salad dressing, or the flavor of your choice
2 large romaine lettuce leeaves

Directions:

Place the cole slaw, tomato, bell pepper, and onion in a medium-sized bowl. Add the dressing, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
Place a lettuce leaf on the center of each warm tortilla. Top with equal amounts of the vegetable mixture. Roll up the tortillas.
Cut in half and serve.
Posted by JS on 06-02-2000 09:26 AM:

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Makes about 6 dozen

2 cups old fashioned oats
1 & 1/4 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 & 1/2 cups peanut butter (super chunky is great!)
2 cups granulated fructose
1/2 cup agave syrup (dark)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small bowl mix oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In large mixer bowl with mixer at medium, beat butter and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla, eggs, sugar and syrup, then add flour/oatmeal mixture and mix until blended. Drop by rounded teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets before cool. Cool completely on wire rack. Store in tightly covered container.

I added 1/2 cup chopped Lindt 70% cocoa chopped to the recipe. This made it more like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cookie!
Posted by Debelli on 06-02-2000 09:01 PM:

CHEESE AND SPINACH PUFFS

1 cup cooked, chopped spinach
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 egg whites
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
salt and black pepper

Preheat oven to 425F. Brush 6 ramekin dishes with oil.

Mix together the spinach and cottage cheese in a small bowl, then add the nutmeg and seasoning to taste.

Whisk h=the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff enough to hold soft peaks. Fold them evenly into the spinach mixture using a spatula or large metal spoon, then spoon mixture into the oiled ramekins, dividing evenly, and smooth the tops.

Sprinkle with the Parmesan and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately.

Per serving: 50cal, 1.5gr fat (approx)
Posted by Neato on 06-03-2000 06:35 PM:

TALATTOURI (Greek Yogurt Salad)

2 c. non-fat yogurt
1 cucumber
3 T. olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 T. vinegar
l bunch mint
salt

1. Cut cucumber in sixths lengthwise; then thin slice. Place the bits on some newspaper covered with a papertowel. Sprinkle liberally with salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Combine a generous spoonful of yogurt, oil,vinegar, garlic and mint leaves in a food processor. Process until mint and garlic are very finely diced.
3. After 30 minutes, blot cucumbers dry and combine everything. Chill and age for at least 4 hours. Serve alone or with bread.

This makes about 6 - 1/2 cup servings of 100 calories each, and all ingredients are SB allowed.
Posted by Mare-slp on 06-08-2000 08:58 AM:

Rice, Black Bean & Feta Salad

1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (I used cooked Kashi instead YUM!YUM!)
1 pkg (4oz) Feta cheese crumbled
1/2 cup each celery and green onions
1/2 cup Italian Dressing
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate. Enjoy!!
Posted by jmtank on 06-08-2000 10:27 AM:

TOMATO-CANTALOUPE SALAD

Don't say ECK until you try it.

I got this recipe years ago on the show Diane's Place. From Diane Shore.

Cut up good tasting fresh tomatoes into bite size pieces. Do the same with the cantaloupe. Put them in a ceramic bowl. Cover with sarah wrap. Do this the first thing in the morning. Put in the refrigerator. It makes its own salad dressing. You have a salad for your evening meal.

If you can find a Rocky Ford cantaloupe they are so much better. They are sweeter. I understand that Rocky Ford are the only cantaloupe that has the indented section lines on the outside of the skin.
Posted by Neato on 06-09-2000 02:58 AM:

TEXAS CAVIAR

2 l lb. cans black eyed peas
1 1 lb. can lady cream peas (or other white bean)
1/2 c. diced onion
2 garlic cloves diced
2 diced tomatoes
1 diced green pepper
1/2 c. finely shredded fresh parsley
1 finely diced jalapena
1 c. Italian Dressing

Drain and wash all beans - combine everything - age overnight - this works out to be about 100 calories per 1/2 c
Posted by Debelli on 06-09-2000 08:04 PM:

BAKED EGGPLANT

1/4C pine nuts
1tlb butter (this CAN be omitted, and I do omit it)
1/2lb LEAN ground beef or ground lamb
1/4tsp pepper
1/2tsp cinnamon
1tsp salt
1/4tsp nutmeg
1/4tsp allspice
2 small onions, chopped
1 tomato, finely diced
3 large eggplants
2 cups tomato sauce (2 small cans)
water

Set over at 350F. Get out a 9x12 baking dish.

Saute pine nuts with butter until golden brown (or if omitting butter, brown in a pan, stirring every so often to brown evenly). Add the next 7 ingredients (meat thru onions) and saute until onion are limp and meat is browned. Add the diced tomato and one can of tomato sauce & heat until hot throughout, then remove from heat and set aside.

Peel eggplants, cutting of the stems. Cut eggplant in half and then into approx. 3/4-1" pieces. Boil eggplant until soft (time depends on eggplant as some are harder than others). Remove from pot with slotted spoon and place 1/2 of eggplant in a single layer in baking dish (if you drain eggplant, it won't retain much of the moisture, which you do want).

Top eggplant with meat mixture and then follow with the remaining eggplant on top. Pour 1 can of tomato sauce over the eggplant. Place in oven and bake for approx. 40 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.

NOTE: you can adjust spices according to your tastes, adding a bit more if desired.

ENJOY!
Posted by Chrissie on 06-09-2000 10:21 PM:

I got this recipe from the Menopause Diet book(Couldn't believe there was such a book!)

Roasted Peaches with Cardamom

6 ripe firm peaches
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cinnamon stick, broken into 3 pieces
pinch of ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons almond slices
1 small bunch mint leaves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Dip the peaches into a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds, then place in ice water. Remove from the water and peel skin. Quarter the peaches, removing pits. Gently rub with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
Melt butter in large saucep[an and add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and lemon zest. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the peaches to the spicy butter, toss gently and transfer toa roasting pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
Arrange on a platter. Sprinkle almonds and mint on top of fruit.

It doesn't list the sugars and the carbs come from the peaches.

Serves 6

per portion:
Cal:93
Protein:1g
Carbs:11g
Fat:6g
Sat:3g
Posted by Songbird28 on 06-09-2000 11:35 PM:

Shrimp Scampi

Olive Oil and butter
2 lbs shrimp peeled and deveined
1/2 cup vermouth, extra dry (an alcohol)
3 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 T chopped fresh parsley
3 T lemon juice

Brown shrimp in hot oil and butter. Add garlic, vermouth, salt, pepper. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add parsley and lemon juice. Serve over rice.

Note - if need by you can use dry white wine instead of vermouth. But it is better with the vermouth.
Posted by Debelli on 06-16-2000 08:13 AM:

I just got this recipe out of this new book I'm currently reading. It looks good, but I personally haven't tried it. If any of you make it, would you please let me know how it is. If good, would love to have my mom make it for my b.day one day far off into the future!

EVERYTHING GOOD BIRTHDAY CAKE (or SPECIAL OCCASION CAKE)

1 1/2cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter OR oil
1/2 cup fruit-juice concentrate
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine dry ingredients. Combine liquid ingredients and add to dry. Mix well. (NOTE: Beating the egg yolks seperated and adding to the wet ingredients, THEN beating the egg whites and folding them in will produce a fluffier cake). Pour mixture into a 9-inch cake pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until done. Allow to cool. Serve as is, or add frosting of your choice (of course, SB legal), like whipped cream frosting that you make yourself!
Posted by Neato on 06-16-2000 07:58 PM:

Caesar Salad

3 Cloves Garlic
1 Egg
1 t. Worchestershire Sauce
1/2 t. Salt
1/2 c. Olive Oil
2 T. Lemon Juice
3-5 Anchovies
1/4 t. Pepper

Mix in your blender until thick and creamy.
Tear up one head of romaine lettuce. Combine dressing, Whole Wheat Croutons, lettuce and 1/2 grated parmesan. Serve.
Posted by ErinK on 06-16-2000 10:19 PM:

I am reposting something that was over on the "Food" section of 3fc. Thanks Aunt Sheryl!

Posted in the Food section by Aunt_Sheryl.

Topic: Sweet Potatoes go Outdoors
Aunt_Sheryl
posted 06-09-2000 11:01 AM

I had a picnic last week, and have made a new version of scalloped potatoes on the grill that I have made for years. I have been cutting way back on potatoes, and decided this time to use a variation of my original recipe, only apply it to a sweet potato. I don't know when I have ever had anything SO good!

Peel and slice thinly a fresh sweet potato, then dice some onion (however much you
want). Place a layer of Sw. Pot. slices on a large piece of aluminum foil (or you could use one of those bags, I guess). Add diced onions, Spray with butter-flavored spray, season to taste (I used powdered chicken boullion and pepper), top with another layer of sweet potatoes. Seal the foil packet, then throw it on the grill (medium heat). Don't forget to turn it now and then. It takes probably around a half hour to cook, you can tell when it's done by the wonderful aroma! The packet usually looks a little burnt, too, but that doesn't necessarily mean the potatoes are. SO GOOD! And so much better for you than regular potatoes!
Posted by jenango on 06-16-2000 11:01 PM:

Easy Crunchy Baco Coleslaw:

3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 packets sweetner..(splenda)
1 8-oz pkg coleslaw
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 shredded red cabbage
4 slices cooed bacon crumbled
Mix dressing and sweetner in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, mix lightly. refrigerate
Posted by Neato on 06-22-2000 11:43 PM:

ALWAYS THERE GARLIC

1. Peel all the toes in 4-5 head of garlic.
2. Put peeled toes in blender and just cover with olive oil.
3. Puree until you have a smooth paste.
4. Place in a freezer tub and freeze.
5. When you need garlic, Microwave the frozen garlic for up to a minute depending on amount left in tub. The garlic should still be firm but spoonable.
6. Return remainder to freezer.
Posted by jenango on 06-23-2000 06:46 AM:

PUMPKIN PIE/CHEESECAKE
I know most people think of pumpkin pie as a Christmas desert but it is great anytime.

16oz cream cheese
14oz can pumpkin PUREE
4 eggs
3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup splenda
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves

Beat cream cheese until soft. Add remaining ingredients and blend 1 minute. pour into Pam sprayed pie pan. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until set. Cool on rack at room temperature, then cover and refrigerate 2 hours
Decorate with whipped cream, and walnuts or pecans

Cheesecake crust (optional)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped nuts
2 tbsp splenda
3 tbsp butter melted
Combine nuts, sweetener and butter; press onto bottom of 9" spring form cake pan. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes.
Posted by Debelli on 06-29-2000 08:51 PM:

Got this off the internet - haven't tried them yet, but sound pretty good!

Whole Wheat Tortillas

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 1/2 cups warm water

Mix the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the water and mix into a nice dough.
Knead until soft and elastic.

At this point, you can let the dough rest for an hour or so, but it isn't really neccessary. Pinch off a chunk of dough, roll into a smooth ball (golf-ball size) with your hands, then flatten on a floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll into a thin circle. Be generous with the flour to avoid sticking.

Cook on a medium hot griddle until delicately beige and specked with brown. It may take some practice to get the griddle the right temperature. You don't have to use any oil on the griddle.

My only problem with these tortillas is keeping them around! My kids eat them with beans, or with fruit or jam, or just plain. They make a great quick pizza crust --- add tomato sauce and toppings and put under the broiler. We love them for burritos and quesadillas.

Besides being tasty and nutritious, they are also cheap --- this recipe
makes about a dozen for around 20 cents.
Posted by Elisa on 06-30-2000 02:34 AM:

Mexican Veggie Soup

Broth Base
3 cans chicken broth
1 fresh jalapeno pepper chopped w/o seeds
1/2 Tbsp garlic salt
2 Tbsp dried cilantro
Juice of one lime
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 Tsp cumin

Veggie Mix
Olive oil, butter, or cooking spray
1 sm onion
1 lg zucchini
1 lg yellow squash

1 cup cooked brown rice

Combine all ingredients in the broth base and simmer for 20 minutes.

In separate skillet, saute the raw veggies until they are done. (I like mine sauteed for about 7 minutes, but my hubby prefers 20 minutes).

Combine veggies, rice, and broth and serve as soon as rice is hot.

Tips:
1. Wash hands very, very, very well after handling the pepper. I would even recommend a good scrubbing with a brush.

2. The broth base and onion is the secret of this soup. You could eat just that when you are sick. I love it when I have a cold and can't taste most foods.

3. You can sub cabbage for the brown rice to make the soup lower gi. You can add sauted chicken for extra protein.

4. You can also sub any veggie that you like for the zucchini and squash, like tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.

Enjoy!
Elisa
Posted by Chrissie on 06-30-2000 03:33 AM:

I had some extra nuts chopped after making the baco crunchy coleslaw the other night. My daughter created this while we were out from the leftover nuts. Pretty good for an 11 year old!!

Mary's Concoction

by Chrissy

1 envelope Swiss Miss Fat Free Hot Cocoa Mix(Contains Splenda) (8 GMs of Sugar but comes from the dry milk and your not going to eat the whole recipe at one time, hopefully)
1/4 cup chopped almost to ground peanuts

Empty 1/2 packet Swiss Miss into 1/2 cup measuring cup fill with water and mix. Add this to rest of Swiss Mix packet and nuts. Mixture will be thick. Use a spoon to drop them on small tray covered with wax paper. Freeze a few hours until frozen. Pop into mouth to satisfy chocolate craving.
Posted by Neato on 06-30-2000 09:14 PM:

BLENDER PESTO SAUCE

2 c. Fresh Basil
2 T. Pine Nuts or Slivered Almonds
1 t. Salt
1/2 c. Olive Oil
5-10 Garlic Toes

Combine in blender and blend until smooth.

1/2 c. Grated Parmesan
2 T. Grated Romano
3 T. Softened Butter

Stir cheeses and butter in by hand. Serve over Whole Wheat Pasta of your choice.

Last edited by Debelli; 01-20-2002 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:48 PM   #4  

Default JULY 2000

Posted by Neato on 07-06-2000 08:13 PM:

SB CHICKEN CURRY

4 Slices of Bacon
1/4 c. Diced Celery
1/4 c. Diced Onion
1 Clove Garlic
2 T. Whole Wheat Flour
1 c. Milk
1 c. Broth
1/2 c. Sugarfree Applesauce
3 T. Sugarfree Tomatoe Paste
3 t. Curry Powder
3 c. Cooked, Diced Chicken

1. Crisp fry bacon, drain and crumble.
2. Saute celery, onion and crushed garlic in 1 T. of bacon drippings.
3. Add flour, milk, broth, applesauce tomatoe paste and curry.
4. Cook until thick.
5. Add chicken and bacon and heat.
6. Serve over brown rice.
Posted by Debelli on 07-06-2000 08:52 PM:

I will list the recipe as it shows in the book, followed by some personal notations on this recipe

SUNFLOWER CRUNCHIES

1 3/4Cups rolled oats (this is 1+3/4C)
3 Tbl. sunflower seeds, roasted
1/4 honey
1/2c sunflower oil
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbl. sesame seeds

1. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix together thoroughly.
2. Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture well apart on a baking sheet and flatten with a dampened palette knife.
3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
4. Leave to cool fro 2 minutes, then transger to a rack to cool completely.

Makes about 20, freezer storage is recommended.

PERSONAL NOTESL: I acutally made these, and really liked them. If you are looking for a sweet cookie, this isn't it. It's very lightly sweetened. Eli didn't like them because his idea of sweet is putting sugar in milk, syrup in rice pudding - so you see, his idea and mine are totally different!

What I did was substitute the honey for AGAVE NECTAR. I used a little less than the 1/4c the first time, but will use the full 1/4 cup next time. Also, I thought there was a bit too much oil when I made these, and thought about trying to put in a beaten egg white with maybe some less oil next time, but once made, you really don't notice the oil. Personally, I would let the ingredients sit for a few minutes to absorb some of the moisture next time. I used parchment paper on my baking sheets and noticed they seemed to be done before the recommended 15min, so you may want to keep an eye out on these around 13 minutes or so. I used a cookie scooper (small ice cream scoop) to measure out the 20 crunchies these made. I used raw sunflower seeds and tosted them myself in a pan on the stove. Definitely keep in the freezer, they keep nice and crunchy in there.
Posted by beachfan37 on 07-07-2000 04:53 AM:

Summer Squash or Zuchinni

2-3 zuchinni/squash
1 tbls. low fat margarine
1 vidalia or texas sweet onion
1 tbls. water
salt and pepper 1 tsp each

Place margrine and water in a sauce pan. Melt on low heat. Cut up onion and saute in water with salt and pepper. Cut up squash or zuchinni and add to mixture. Simmer on low heat until squash/zuchinni can be pierced easily with a fork (usually about 15 minutes). If your southern you will probably want to cook this a little longer (my grandmother always cooked all the nutrients out of vegetables by cooking them a long time). I stir almost constantly. To make it even better crumble some bacon in after it is done. The sweet onion really makes this tast yummy.
Posted by jenango on 07-07-2000 07:07 AM:

Fake Potatoes

Cook 2 1/2 cups cauliflower until tender but firm
Chop into pieces (hash brown size)
Mix 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese,onions to tase, salt and pepper
stir in cauliflower
bake @ 350, 20 min
Crumble 3 slices cooked bacon on top (if Wish)
Posted by AMR on 07-08-2000 07:26 AM:

CHUNKY VEGETABLE DIP

1 cup sour cream (can use the light stuff)
1/2 cup finely chopped cucumbers
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup finely chopped radishes
1 to 2 T. cider vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. prepared horseradish
3/4 tsp. salt

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well. Cover and refrigerate. Serve with cut up veggies.

I got this recipe out of Quick Cooking magazine. I made it and it's pretty good. You could add some artificial sweetener if you wanted. I think it definitely needs something else added to it, but I haven't experimented with it yet. It can also be used as a dressing. I'm also going to add another recipe below for a different dressing that is made with a batch of mixed spices. I think you could replace the horseradish in this recipe with the mix of spices in the ranch recipe, but I'm not chef, so don't take my word for it.

RANCH DRESSING AND DIP MIX

2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. dried minced onion
1 Tbs. dried parsley
2-1/2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. sugar (or substitute)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR DRESSING:
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. buttermilk
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR DIP:
1 c. sour cream

In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to a year.

The recipe in the magazine says to add 1 Tbs. of this mix to either the mayo/buttermilk or the sour cream. I added a little more when I made the dressing. It was pretty good, a little runnier than I like. Also, this tasted better if you use "fresh" spices. Some of mine had been around a while....
Posted by AMR on 07-08-2000 07:42 AM:

CREAMY COLESLAW

1 pkg. (16 oz.) coleslaw mix
3/4 c. mayo
1/3 c. sour cream
1/4-or less- sugar (or substitute)
3/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. celery salt

Place coleslaw mix in a lg. bowl. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir until blended. Pour over mix and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.

CROCK POT BEEF STROGANOFF

2 tsp. beef bouillon granules
1 c. boiling water
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
2 jars sliced mushrooms, drained
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 to 2 pounds boneless round steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
2 T. vegetable oil
8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
Hot cooked WW noodles or brown rice

In a slow cooker, dissolve bouillon in water. Add soup, mushrooms, onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. In a skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in cream cheese until smooth.

I must admit I haven't tried this yet. And I know the mushroom soup is kind of a no-no. I do have the ingredients to try it and I plan to make it soon.

ORANGE VEGETABLE KABOBS

1 lg. sweet onion
1 lg. unpeeled navel orange
1 med. sweet red pepper, cut into 1 in. chunks
1 med. sweet yellow pepper, in 1 in. chunks
8 medium fresh mushrooms
8 cherry tomatoes
2 small yellow summer squash, cut in slices
MARINADE:
1/2 c. olive oil
1/3 c. lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp. sugar (or substitute)
1 tsp. salt, optional
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 T. orange juice

Cut the onion and orange into eight wedges; halve each wedge. Alternately thread veggies and orange pieces onto eight metal or soaked wooden skewers. Place in a shallow oblong dish. In a bowl, whisk togeter the oil, lemon juice, sugar sub., salt, garlic powder and pepper. Pour over skewers. Marinate for 15 min. or so, turning and basting frequently.Grill, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Brush with orange juice just before serving.

I've made these and really liked them. I think you could also leave out the oranges if you wanted and use Italian salad dressing as a marinade.
Posted by jenango on 07-13-2000 11:17 PM:

Cheese-Filled Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Breast

for each one - 1 boneless chicken breast
1 stick of mozzarella string cheese
2 pieces of bacon
salt & pepper

Place string cheese on chicken and roll up securing with toothpick. Wrap with 2 strips of bacon, and place in baking dish
Bake at 300 degrees for 45 min.
cheese will ooze slightly, and brown somewhat
Posted by Debelli on 07-20-2000 08:06 PM:

I made these the other day, and I liked them, Mom thought they weren't bad either.

I will post the recipe as in the book, then follow with my notes:

OAT SHORTBREAD COOKIES

1 CUP OAT FLOUR
1/4 SLIVERED ALMONDS
1 TSP BAKING POWDER
DASH SALT
2TBL OIL
2TBL HONEY OR OTHER SWEETENER

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Mix oat flour, almonds, baking powder, and salt well in a medium mixing bowl. Mix oil and honey in a glass or plastic measuring cup. Heat 20 seconds in the microwave to soften the honey. Mix into the dry ingredients, adding a little water if necessary to make the dough stick together.

Drop by teaspoons on baking sheet and bake about 8 minutes.

Variation: Shape the cookies into a rectangle about 1/2" thick on a cookie sheet, and cut into 12 cookies. Cut again after baking to separate.

MY NOTES: Since we aren't suppose to use honey, I substituted this for AGAVE NECTAR. They were a tad sweet for me, so next time, I may go ahead and only use 1TBL agave and 1tbl milk. Using agave, you don't have to heat the oil and agave like you would if using honey, so you can eliminate this step. I would say my dash of salt may of been a tad too much, next time, I may put just a tiny tiny bit. I rolled mine, like Meixcan Wedding Cookies. I'd definitely make them again!

Haven't tried this one, but looks pretty good!

HONEY APPLE CAKE

2CUPS WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
2 TSP BAKING POWDER
2TSP GROUND MIXED SPICE
3TBL HONEY (USE AGAVE NECTAR)
1 1/3C DRIED COPPED DATES
2 EGGS
1/2CUP APPLE JUICE
1/2 CUP SUNFLOWER OIL
1 1/3 CUPS GRATED APPLE
2 TBL CHOPPED FILBERTS

1.Grease and line and 8" round deep cake pan.
2.Place the flour in a mixing bolw, then sift in the baking powder and spice. Make a well in the cneter and add the remaining ingreidients, except the filbers. Beat together vigorously until thoroughly mixed.
3.Turn into the prepared pan and spinkle with the nuts.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1-1 1/4 hours, until the cake springs back when pressed in the center. Turn onto a rack to cool.

Notes: Use dessert apples for natural sweetness, and grate apples with the skin on for extra fiber and texture.

WHOLE WHEAT CREPES

1 egg
1 1/4 CUPS MILK
1 CUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR

1.Place the egg and milk in a blender or food processor, add the flour and work for 30 seconds until smooth. Leave to stand for 30 minutes to thicken.
2.Grease a 6" omelet pan and place over a moderate heat. Pour in 1TBL of batter, tilting the pan to coat the bottom evenly.
3.Cook until underside is brown, then turn over and cook for 10 seconds.
4. Turn onto a plae and repeat with the remaining batter to make about 12 crepes. Stack them interleaved with waxed paper and keep warm.

NOTES: Can use BUCKWHEAT FLOUR instead of the WW. Haven't tried these yet either.

TOMATO AND EGGPLANT CREPES

1 LARGE EGGPLANT, DICED
1 TBL OLIVE OIL
1 CLOVE GARLIC, CRUSHED
14oz CAN CHOPPED TOMATOES
1TBL CHOPPED PARSLEY
12 WHOLE WHEAT CREPES (recipe above)
2TBL GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE

1. Plcae the eggplant in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse and dry with paper towels.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the eggplants and fry until golden, turning occasionally.
3. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Divide the filling between the crepes, roll up and place in a lighly oiled, shallow overproof dish.
5. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes, until heated through. Serve with salad.

I made blueberry muffins this morning, they aren't bad, but I think the recipe could use a small overhaul before I post it. If anyone is really good at baking and would like to see if they can improve on it, e-mail me and I'll be happy to send you the recipe!!!
Posted by VR on 07-21-2000 01:15 AM:

This is from the Splenda website
http://www.sucralose.com/recipies

Swedish Nuts

1 egg white slightly beaten
2 cups pecan or walnut halves
1/3 cup Splenda Granular
2 tsp. ground cardamon or cinnamon

Heat oven to 300 F. Grease a jelly roll pan.

Mix egg white and nuts in medium bowl until
nuts are coated and sticky.

Mix Splenda and spice and sprinkle over nuts.
Stir until completely coated.

Spread nuts in single layer in pan.

Bake about 30 minutes or until toasted. Cool completely or serve slightly warm.

NOTE: I only had the Splenda packets, so I mixed 3 packets and the spice with the egg white. It probably could have used 1 or 2 more packets. I baked mine a little too long so keep an eye on them.

It's a sweet treat that stays well within "legal".
Posted by rsimon on 07-24-2000 05:45 AM:

Just finished eating dinner - the chicken and cheese enchilada recipe I found in the SB Quick and Easy Cookbook. They were WONDERFUL - used up a lot of pots and pans (I had to cook the chicken too) - but worth it. Here is the recipe:

1 med yellow onion - minced
1 clove garlic - minced
1/4 cup canola oil (I used olive)
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 t dried oregano
1 t salt
1 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken ( I used two breast halves)
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
8 whole wheat tortillas (I used 10)
1 4oz can whole green chiles, drained and cut into 1/4 inch strips
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup reduced fat sour cream (I used fat free)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the onion, garlic,and 1 T of oil in a 1-qt saucepan (I needed a 2 qt). Stir occasionally, cook over med heat until the onion turns translucent, about 3 min. Add tomato sauce, oregano,and salt. Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, for 15 mins.
Meanwhile, season the chicken with garlic salt and pepper and put it in a med nonstick skillet, along with the rest of the oil. Heat for about 10 min over med-low heat. Remove the meat to a bowl and warm the tortillas in the same pan for about 15 sec a side. Divide the chicken and the chile among the tortillas. Roll the torillas up and place them in a 9-by-13 inch baking pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Cover with the tomato sauce and the cheese. Cover and bake for about 15 min until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream.

Serves 4 (I made enough for 5 - lots of leftovers for me!)

Ricki
Posted by Debelli on 07-27-2000 10:07 PM:

I actually made these, and liked them! I will post the recipe as in the book, then follow with my personal notations.

MANDELBROT

This Jewish specialty is a dry, lightly sweetened almond bread that falls somewhere between coffee cake and zwieback. A perfect dunker. (to me, it's much more like a biscotti!!!)

1 egg
1/4 cup honey
2TBL oil
1/8tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4tsp almond extract
1 1/4cups WW flour
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1/3 cup coarsley chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 375F

Beat egg with honey until foamy. Beat in oil, salt, lemon juice, and almond extract. Add flour, baking powder and nuts, and mix well to form a stiff, evenly blended dough.

Pat into a loaf 3" wide, 8" long and 1" thick on an oiled, floured baking sheet.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool slightly and, while still warm, slice into bars 1/2" wide.

Makes one 8" loaf, 16 slices

NOTATIONS: Here is how I adapted this recipe. I originally used a little less than 1/4c of AGAVE NECTAR in place of honey, but next time, will use the entire 1/4c (probably used 1tbl less originally) to give it a little more sweetness. I made my loaf quite a bit wider, about 6" wide at the widest, and tapred towards the end. Still was about 8 inches long though. I don't remember how many I ended up getting, but there isn't many left. I lowered the oven to 360F instead of the 375 (agave suggests a slighly lower over, 25 degree less, so I comprimised). Also, I baked them for 20 minutes, waited a minute or two, cut them, turned them on their side and put back in the over for 2:30 minutes and then did the same for the other side (cute sides). I have them in a plastic container. They are getting a little less "crispy" so would suggest putting in freezer, or crisping for a second in the oven. I like them a lot!!

Here is an interesting recipe, same book, but I haven't tried it yet:

GREEN RICE WITH STUFFED CHILIS
2TBL oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 1/2cups uncooked brown rice
1/4c minced parsley
3 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
6 canned whole green chilies (8 ounces)
4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into sticks

Heat oil in a 3qt pot and saute onion, garlic and rice, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add parsley, milk, and salt, bring just to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat until rice is tender, 45-60 minutes. This can be done any time in advance of the meal.

Stuff chilies with cheese, trying not to damage them. Set into rice, and if you have made a tear or slit in the ppers,pleace them facing up so cheese doesn't seep out.

Set over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes to melt cheese.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:56 PM   #5  

Default AUGUST 2000

Posted by Snowwoman on 08-02-2000 09:43 AM:

Spicy Red Beans and Rice

1 T olive oil
2 large onions,diced
2 cloves garlic,minced
1 large green pepper,diced
3 celery stalks, diced
2 bay leaves
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. paprika
1 large can tomatoes(diced)or stewed
1 T vinegar
1c vege broth
2 cans red beans rinsed and drained
1/2 t tabasco optional

4 c cooked brown rice

1. heat oil in LARGE skillet, saute onion,gr. pepper, celery for 5 min.

2. add all the spices, tom, vin, and vege broth. simmer for 10 min or until veges are soft

3. add beans hot sauce, and rice. heat through and absorb juices.

makes a lot 6 servings.
4g fat
Posted by Snowwoman on 08-02-2000 10:14 AM:

Minestrone Soup

1 T olive oil
1 large onion,, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlid,minced
1 c. diced carrots (opt)
1 c celery, dic
2 med zucchini, dic
3 c shredded cabbage or chunks
2 t. oreg
1 1/2 t basil ( 1 1/2 T fresh)
salt
1/2 t black pepper
6 c chicken stock
1 28 oz can tom
2 cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 c water
1 c cooked pasta (opt)

1. heat oil in Laarge pot over med heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until soft. Add carrots and celery, and cook for 5 min.

2. add zucchini, stir well, and cook for 2 to 3 min.

3. add caggage and cook 5 more min.

4. add spices. cook 2 more min. add broth and tom. lower heat, and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until veges are soft.

5. add canned beans and water. cont cooking 15 to 20 min.
6. add pasta of your choice heat through. Serve

10 serv
2 g fat 10%
This recipe is very good better in cool weather.
Tricia
Posted by Snowwoman on 08-02-2000 10:40 AM:

Chocolate Mousse Bars

2/3 c pastry whole wheat flour
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 oz unsweetened baking choc bar ( 1 1/2 square)
1 T oil
6 large egg whites
1 1/4 c sugar ( use fructose)
3/4 c unsweetened appplesauce
1/2 c plain yogurt
1 t vanilla
oven 350

1. sift tog flour and cocoa.
2. melt choc in small bowl in microwave. (about 1 min)
3. beat egg whites in mixer with sugar until very white and fluffy. add
appplesauce, yogurt, vanilla melted choc, and dry ingred. Lower speed and
continue beating until all incorporated.
4. pour mis into baking pan. (brownie size) sprayed with pam. bake 20 - 25
min When done the center will feel firm and not liquidy.
5 cool and serve. chill for later use. cover with foil.

16 serv.
cal. 129
total fat 3 g, 21 %

Very good it's hard to eat just one.
Posted by jenango on 08-10-2000 11:14 PM:

Faux Fried Rice

1/2 head of raw cauliflower, grated
3 green onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 t lite soy sauce
1/2-1 t garlic salt
3 eggs beaten
oil
pork,shrimp,chicken cooked (optional)

Heat oil,fry garlic and white part of onions for 1 min.
add cauliflower,and fry for 5 min stirring constantly.
add soy, garlic salt, green onion tops and meat
scramble eggs on one side of pan, and stir into mixture
serves 3 as a side dish
Posted by rsimon on 08-10-2000 11:27 PM:

I'm moving this over:

Today is Recipe day - one of my favorites is Chicken Paprika -
1 onion - chopped
1 clove garlic - minced
4 T olive oil
1 4-5 lb chicken - cut up and skinned
2 T Hungarian Paprika
1 t pepper
1 t salt
1.5 cups water
1 cup fat free sour cream
1 T Whole wheat flour

Brown onion and garlic in oil. Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 10 min. Sprinkle paprika,pepper, and salt on chicken. Turn meat once. Add water, cover, and simmer on low for about 45 mins or until chicken is done. Remove from liquid. In a small bowl, mix sour cream, flour and 1 cup of hot liquid from chicken til smooth. Pour mixture into skillet and blend.

I usually serve this over WW noodles.
Posted by Debelli on 08-11-2000 09:27 AM:

Here are a few recipes from the book I told you all about that have cheese in them. I haven't tried these yet, but they sounded simple and good. Please let me know if you try one of them!

CRISP CHEESE PANCAKES

1 cup shredded cheese
2 tbl WW flour
1/4 tsp. salt (less with a salted cheese)
1 tsp prepared mustard
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup yogurt
oil

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT oil to amke a uniform batter. Cover the surface of a skillet with oil and heat. When hot, drop batter by tablespoonsfuls intot he pan. Cook until brown underneath and easily moved with a spatula, 5 to 8 minutes. Turn and brown about 3 minutes on the other side.

CHEDDAR SOUP

1/4cup chopped onion or scallion
2 tbl butter, oil or a mixture of both
1/4c WW flour
3 cups milk
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp salt (reduce if broth is salted)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
cayenne
paprika
chopped green pepper

Saute onion or scalion in fat until soft but not brown (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and sti in flour. Return to heat and stir for 1 minutes without browning.
Gradually stir in milk and broth and bring to a boil. Add salt, mustard, and cheese in stages, stirring to melt.
Sprinkle soup sparingly with cayenne, generously with paprika, and serve. Garnish with green pepper.
NOTE: If you like your soup on the thick side, reduce milk to 2 cups.

CHEESE CRISPS

2 cups grated chedar cheese (about 1/2lb)
6 tbl WW flour
1 tbl oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbl cold water
paprika

Preheat oven to 450F

Combine all ingredients but the paprika and work with hands to form a stiff paste. Roll thin on a pastry cloth or floured work surface. Cut into shapes by hand or with a cookie cutter. Reroll outtakes and cut.
Place on an oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle surface lightly with paprika. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until light brown. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Let cool for about 30 seconds, then loosen and trasfer to a cooling rack.
NOTE:If crackers soften during storage, reheat in a 450F oven for a few minutes.
Posted by Gane on 08-11-2000 11:22 PM:

Indian Tacos

Fry bread

4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar (or equivalent)
1 1/2 c water

Combine all ingredients in bowl with hands. cover with towel let stand 20 minutes divide into 12 equal balls roll out into 5 inch circle and brown on frying pan sprayed in pam.

Meat

1 lb gound beef
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/4 tso chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs salsa
1/2 tsp cumin.

Brown meat then add spice simmer for 10 minutes. place on fry bread with favorite taco stuff
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by AMR on 08-16-2000 03:39 AM:

Sweet & Spicy Chicken

1 lb. chicken breast, cut in chunks
3 or more Tbs. taco seasoning
1 jar salsa (about 11 oz.)
1/2 c. or more apricot or peach all-fruit spread (I use Polaner All-Fruit Apricot)
cooked brown rice

Place taco seasoning in a resealable plastic bag. Add cut up chicken and shake to coat. Brown chicken in a skillet in a little oil till cooked through. Add salsa and fruit spread. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 3-5 minutes or so. Serve over brown rice if desired.

Note: It is very quick and easy to make. It is also easy to adjust the spiciness by adding more or less taco seasoning and mild or hot taco sauce. My husband loves this stuff and he is anti-sugar busters.
Posted by thinagin on 08-18-2000 12:47 AM:

Joz Ribs
(My DH makes ribs to die for! Since we've been on SB he's adapted his recipe! woo-hoo!)

Pork or beef ribs
salt, pepper, garlic, paprika
soy sauce

Prep the ribs - for pork ribs there's a membrane that needs to be peeled off. Makes eating them more pleasant. Sprinkle sallt, pepper, garlic and paprika all over ribs.
Smoke in BBQ (the best way, takes a few hours though) or bake in oven. Baste with soy sauce.
Posted by Debelli on 08-18-2000 04:42 AM:

These recipes are from my new favorite book, AMERICAN WHOLEFOODS CUISINE. The reccipes are listed just as they appear in the book, and if I make any substitutions, I list them as a note at the end.

This was absolutely delicious, so I thought

ZUCCHINI LOAF CAKE

1 egg
1/3c oil
1/2c honey
2 Tbl molasses
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1c shredded, lightly packed zucchini
1 1/2c WW flour
2 Tbl soy flour
2 TBL nonfat dry milk powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2c combined sunflower seeds and chopped walnuts

Preheat over to 350F

Beat egg in large mixing bowl. Beat in oil, honey, molasses, cinnamon, and vanilla in that order. Stir in zucchini.

Combine remaining ingredients EXCEPT seeds and nuts and add to zucchini mixture, stirring. When mixture is smooth, stir in seeds and nuts. Turn into an oiled, floured 8inch loaf pan.

Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan; transfer to a rack and cool completely.

MY NOTES: I used AGAVE NECTAR in place of the honey and molasses-same measurements. Also, when using agave, lower the oven temp to 325 and test for doneness after 40 minutes.

Here's a recipe for biscuits, followed by some variations you can do. I almost made these tonight, but decided to wait. Let me know if anyone tries them! (After posting this, I did make them, and did like them!)

BASIC BISCUITS

2c WW flour
1/4c wheat germ
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4c oil
1 Tbl honey (or agave nectar, or something equivalent)
about2/3c milk

Preheat oven to 425F

Combine dry ingredients. Stir in oil until mixture is crumbly. Add sweeting and just enough milk to make a soft dough.

Pat or roll dought gently until it is 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 2 inch squares or approx 2 1/2-3" rounds. Reshape outtakes. Place on a baking sheet or pan wipes with oil, leaving an inch between for crusty biscuits, have sides touching for a tender crust. Bake for about 14-15 minutes, or until browned. Makes 10-12 biscuits.

VARIATIONS:

For COTTAGE CHEESE BISCUITS, reduce mil to about 1/2 cup and gently knead 1 cup cottage cheese into dough.

For SOY BISCUITS, replace 1 cup whole wheat flour with 1 cup soy flour, omit wheat germ, and use 1/2 cup water instead of the milk.

For YOGURT BISCUITS, reduce baking powder to 2 tsp, add 1/2 tsp baking soda, and replace milk with yogurt.
Posted by Tired on 08-20-2000 09:17 PM:

No Sugar Spread (From Certo Insert)

Directions:

- No sugar spreads produce a softer set than jams amde with sugar

- No sugar spreads do not have the preservative advantages of a high sugar content, and therefore have a short shelf life. Even cooked recipes must be stored in the freezer or the refrigerator. Store in the refrigerator for one week or store in the freezer for up to 1 year.

1) Wash and rinse jars with tight fitting lids. Each jar should be no larger than 2 cups. (I used plastic storage containers.)

2) Prepare the fruit as directed on the chart. Add lemon juice. Measure into a large saucepan.

3) Stir CERTO Fruit Pectin Crystals into fruit.

4) Place saucepan over high heat and stir until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Immediately add artificial sweetener.

5) Stir and skim for 5 minutes to prevent floating fruit.

6) Pour into prepared jars leaving 1/4 inch space on top for expansion during freezing. Cover and store in freezer for up to 1 year. If used within 1 week, spread may be stored in refrigerator.

No Sugar Strawberry Spread - Approximate amount to buy = 2 quarts - Hull and crush berries with potato masher. measure fruit. Add lemon juice. Amounts of ingredients to use: 3 cups berries, 5 tsp lemon juice, 10 packets or to taste sweetener, 1 box Certo. This makes 3 cups.

No Sugar Raspberry Spread - Approximate amount to buy - 2 quarts - Pick over and crush ripe berries, one layer at a time. (Sieve half of pulp to remove some seeds, if desired). Measure fruit. Add lemon juice. Amounts of ingredients to use: 3 cups berries, 5 tsp lemon juice, 10 packets or to taste sweetener, 1 box Certo. This makes 3 cups.

No Sugar Blueberry Spread - Approximate amount to buy = 2 1/2 pints - Pick over and crush blueberries. Measure fruit. Add lemon juice. Amounts of ingredients to use: 3 cups berries, 5 tsp lemon juice, 10 packets or to taste sweetener, 1 box Certo. This makes 3 cups.

No Sugar Peach Spread - Approximate amount to buy = 3 lbs - Peel and pit ripe peaches. Finely chop. Measure fruit. Add lemon juice. Amounts of Ingredients to use - 3 cups peaches, 5 tsp lemon juice, 10 packets or to taste sweetener, 1 box Certo. This makes 3 cups.

No Sugar Blueberry-Strawberry Spread - Approximate amount to buy = 2 pints blueberries, 1 pint strawberries - Pick over and crush blueberries. Hull and crush strawberries. Measure fruit. Add lemon juice. Amounts of ingredients to use: 2 cups blueberries, 1 cup strawberries, 5 tsp lemon juice, 10 packets or to taste, 1 box Certo. This makes 3 cups.
Posted by VR on 08-24-2000 11:45 PM:

Spaghetti Squash Pancakes

River House B&B
Durango, CA

1 medium spaghetti squash, cooked
4-5 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
4 eggs
2 Tbsp chopped green onion or chives

Cook the squash the night before. In the morning scrape out the spaghetti squash into a bowl. Add ginger, eggs and onion or chives. Form into 3 inch patties. In skillet, cook 3 - 4 minutes on each side. Serve with *soy sauce or Tamari. Makes 30 pancakes.

*Haven't looked up facts on soy sauce or Tamari
Posted by Debelli on 08-29-2000 02:37 AM:

I haven't tried any of these recipes I just found in a new book by the Goldbecks, but the following 3 recipes are on my "to make" list. Please let me know if anyone tries any of them!!

ULTIMATE OATMEAL

This recipe is purposely proportioned to produce a thick porridge that can handle a generous amount of milk. (If a thinner cereal is preferred, add additional freshly boiled water at the end as needed). At serving time, garnish each bowl according to personal taste with sunflower seeds chopped walnuts, and cinnamon.

1/3 cup oats
2TBL oat bran
1 1/4 cups water
pinch of salt for pot, optional
1TBL flaxseed meal*
1TBL wheat germ

Combine oats, oat bran, water and salt, if using in a port. Place over medium heat, Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Stir once or twice during cooking. Remove from heat and stir in the flaxseed meal and wheat germ. Cover and let sit for a few minutes before serving. Makes 1 serving.

*NOTES: you can buy flaxseed at any HFS and grind it to a meal in your food processor. Probably you can leave this out as well, but I'm not sure.

BAKED ARTICHOKE CHEESE

Bite-size veg. cheese squares make an unusual and convenient hor d'oeuvre. Everything can be put together well in advance and baked just before serving (If more than 1 hour ahead, refrigerate). It can be served hot, warm, or room temp, or it can be eaten cold if you have leftovers.

1 can (14oz) artichoke hearts in water
1 1/4 c yougurt cheese
1/2 cup grates cheese (parm, provolone, cheddar, jack, feta, or other natural cheese alone or mixed)
2 TBL chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 TBL coarsely chopped walnuts
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/4 c chopped fresh dill parsley

Preheat the oven to 350F

Drain the artichokes; cop into small pieces, Combine with the remaining ingredients. Transfer to a 9inch square or shallow 1 qt. baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until firm and lightly browned on top Let sit at room temperature for a few minutes to set before cutting. Cut into 2-inch squares and arrange on a platter to serve. YIELDS 16 2-INCH PIECES

MUSHROOM-BARLEY SOUP

Pressure cooking makes a creamy MB soup. If you don't have a pressure cooker, follow the second set of directions for conventional stove top cooking. With either version, letting the soup rest awhile before serving enhances the richness.

3/4 pound mushrooms, coarsely chopped (4cups)
1 cup chopped onion
2TBL soy sauce
1 cup hulled barley
6 cups water
1tsp salt or to taste
freshly ground pepper

For pressure cooking, combine the mushrooms, onion, soy sauce, barley and water in a pressure cooker. Cover the pot and bring up to presser over high heat. Reduce the heat to just maintain the pressure and cook for 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit 10 minutes before releasing pressure and opening the pot.

For conventional stove-top cooking, combine the ingredients in a 5qt. pot. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to the soup simmers gently. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until tender.

When the soup is done cooking, add salt and pepper to taste. YIELD 2 qts, 6 servings

To make yogurt cheese, which REALLY is delicious (I always have some in the house), the "recipe" is below:

Set the yogurt cheese funnel or a strainer lined with cheesecloth or a drip coffee filter on a stable container large enough to hold the liquid that drains off.

Fill the selected strainer with yogurt. Cover with a plastic lid, or plastic wrap, just to be sanitary.

Place in the fridge to drain. You can leave the cheese in the strainer as long as you like, but after about 24 hours, it won't get any thicker. Therefore, you may want to transfer it into a container with a lid.

You can use this in place of cream cheese, sour cream, etc.

I like AXELRODS LOW FAT YOUGURT. Get a yogurt that does NOT have gelatin or modified food starch in it. Two cups of yogurt yield about 1 cup yogurt cheese. It will NOT taste as tart as it would soft, and you can liven it up with many flavors!!

In my house, we pour a little extra virgin olive oil on it and eat it with WW pita bread with some tomatoe - yummy!
Posted by Debelli on 08-31-2000 08:32 PM:

The following recipe for EXTRA LIGHT MIX, along with the recipes that follow that use the ELM, are another great group of recipes from the Goldbecks! It is easy to make and use in other recipes. Knowing most of the measuring is done, makes it a real snap.

EXTRA LIGHT MIX

This mix gives a tender product with only the faintest trace of wheat flavor.

4 cups WW flour
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 1/2TBL baking powder
1 1/2tsp salt
1/2 cup oil

In a large bowl, blender, or processor with a plastic blade (do they make these??), combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Slowly add oil, mixing continually until it is completely absorbed.

Store in a closed container in the refrigerator and mix well before use.

Makes about 7 cups. Can be stored up to 3 months in the fridge. When using in any recipes, mix should be spooned lightly into the measure without compressing.
QUICK LIGHT BISCUITS

2 1/4 cups EXTRA LIGHT MIX, spooned into measure
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 425F

Add water to mix to form an even dough. Knead gently to combine. Pat into a rectangle 1/2 inch thick. Cut into eight 2inch squares.

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden. Serve while still warm.

Makes 8 biscuits.
QUICK LIGHT MUFFINS

3 cups EXTRA LIGHT MIX, spooned into measure
1 cup water
1 egg, beaten
2 TBL honey or agave nectar

Preheat oven to 400F

Combine all ingredients and stir gently until completely moistened.

Spoon into an oiled muffin tin, filling each cup two-thirds full. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Makes 8 muffins.
QUICK LIGHT PANCAKES

1 3/4 cups EXTRA LIGHT MIX spooned into measure
1 cup water
1 egg, beaten
1TBL honey, or other sweetener equivalent (like agave)

Combine all ingredients and stir gently until completely moistened. Drop by quarter cupfuls onto a hot pan that has been wiped with oil.

Cook until bottom is lightly browned and spatula slips underneath with ease. Flip and cook until bottom is set and freckled.

Makes 10 pancakes.
CHEESE PIE

A simplified quiche of sorts, in which the batter sinks to form a crust and the cheese custard rises to the top.

paprika
1cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 eggs (or 1 egg and 1/2 cup eggbeaters)
1 1/2cups milk
1/2 cup EXTRA LIGHT MIX, spooned into measure
1/2 tsp prepared mustard

Preheat oven to 325F

Generously butter a 9-inch pie pan and sprinkle with about 1/4 teaspoon paprika. Arrange cheese and onion in the pan.

Beat eggs with milk, mix, and mustard until smooth. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle evenly with paprika.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 3-4 as an entree, 4-6 as an accompaniment.
Posted by Chrissie on 09-01-2000 04:21 AM:

BROCCOLI WITH TOASTED PINE NUTS

This also works with cauliflower - or use half broccoli and half cauliflower.

Serves 4

1/2cup pine nuts
1 head brocolli, florets only
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper

per serving; protein 4.8G, fat: 24.2G, Carbohydrates 7.4G

Warm a small heavy skillet and toast the pine nutsover a medium flame, stirring frequently to make sure the nuts don't burn. Take them out of the skillet the minute they're golden.

Steam the broccoli florets (or cook in the microwave) until tender. Drain on paper towels.

Warm the olive oil in a large skillet and when it's hot, add the broccoli. Cook just until the broccoli begins to turn golden in places, then add the lemon juice and salt ad pepper. Add the pine nuts, stir well, and serve immediately.
Posted by Chrissie on 09-01-2000 04:33 AM:

Zucchini Pasta

A dish similar to this has been on the menu at NY's Union Square Cafe for years - Try the same technique but top zucchini with pesto sauce for a change.

Serves 2

4 small zucchini
2 Tbs olive oil
1 large garlic clove, pressed
1 (14 1/2 ounce ) can diced tomatoes, preferably Muir Glen
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 pound cooked Italian sausage links, cut up
Salt and pepper
Several leaves of fresh basil, torn
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Per serving:
Protein 20.7G Fat 36.8G Carbs 11G

Slice the unpeeled zucchini into ribbons, using a vegetable peeler and turning the squash as you go. Put 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; when it's warm, add the pressed garlic. Saute briefly, then add the tomatoes and oregano. Let the sauce simmer uncovered for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a wide skillet; when it's hot, add the zuccchini. Stir for several minutes until the zucchini is soft and the edges are clear. Add salt and pepper to taste, then mix in the sauce. Add the sausage and stir well.
stir in the basil and transfer to a serving dish. Scatter the Parmesan over the top.

Last edited by Debelli; 01-20-2002 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:05 PM   #6  

Default SEPTEMBER 2000

Posted by SusanV on 09-08-2000 12:01 AM:

We have tried these and really like them.

Stevia-Sweet Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp Stevia Extract powder (used 1/2 tsp)
1 tablespoon sucanat or honey (optional-I did not use)
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unbleached wheat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used 1 cup of stone ground whole wheat instead of the 2 different kinds)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 chopped nuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips or carob chips (I used regular semi-sweet chips)

Combine first 4 ingredients including softened butter. Mix together. Gradually add the following ingredients in order. Divide into cookies and bake 10 min. @ 375 degrees. The texture will be different from conventional cookies, but eaten warm are quiet delicious.

We scooped them just like regualr cookies and they didn't flatten out as they baked so the 2nd pan I flattened a little. I like them cold just as well as warm. The recipe made about 2 dozen.

Enjoy!
Posted by Debelli on 09-08-2000 03:48 AM:

Another Goldbeck recipe...

WALNUT-PEACH PIE

An open face peach pie made with sweet fruit.

1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust (recipe below)
4 cups peeled, sliced peaches
2 eggs
1/3 cup agave nectar (recipe calls for honey)
2 Tbl. butter
1/2 cup coarsley chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat over to 400F

Line pie pan with crust, prick all over with a fork, and bake for 10 minutes. Cool slightly while oven heat is reduced to 325F

Fill shell with peaches. Beat eggs with agave (honey) and pour over fruit. Dot with butter, cober with nuts, and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until filling is set. Cool before cutting.

TENDER PIE CRUST

An excellent crust for fruit tarts or to hold a creamed vegetable filling.

1 1/2 cups WW flour
pinch of salt
1/4 cup oil
2 tbl butter
2 tbl yogurt
1 tlb honey (or agave nectar)
3 tbl cold water (only if needed)

Combine flour and salt ina bowl. Cut in oil and butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add yogurt, honey (or agave}, and water, if needed to form into a ball.

If possible, chill for about an hour before rolling or freeze for 10 minutes to make rolling easier.

Makes 2 8-inch shells or a deep double-crusted pie, or a pie with a lattice top or 12-14 tarts. Crust is not recommended for freezer storage.
Posted by Alihikes on 09-08-2000 10:57 AM:

Our local paper reprinted this recipe from Family Circle -- takes about 30 minutes and uses only one pot.

Scallop OnePot.

4 slices bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 pounds scallops
1 bunch scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup peas (orig. recipe used corn)
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp seafood boil seasoning (I used Mrs Dash instead)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp thyme
pinch cayenne pepper
2 cups instant brown rice (I used already cooked brown rice and cut it in half)

Cook bacon and garlic over medium heat for 6 minutes. Add scallops and scallions, saute 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, peas, tomato, seasonings; cook 3 minutes. Add rice, cover and simmer 8-10 minutes or until rice is tender. Serve at once. Makes 6 servings.
Posted by Chrissie on 09-08-2000 07:21 PM:

Legal Blooming Onion

Slice a Vidalia onion like a blooming onion, sprinkle on garlic salt, cayenne pepper and tabasco or Texas Pete Hot Sauce. Wrap in foil and grill or bake in oven.

*With a sharp knife cut down but not through the onion, keep turning and cutting but not going through so that the onion opens like a flower. The pieces should be less than a quarter inch wide.

Posted by Kim on SB on 9/5/00
Posted by Chrissie on 09-15-2000 06:20 AM:

Again from Fran McCullough's Low Carb Cookbook

"Potato Salad"

Serves 6

1 cauliflower, cut into florets
1/2 cup sliced scallions, including the firm greens
3 celery ribs, chopped fine, including some inner leaves
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped fine
1/4 chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Dressing

2 teaspoons Colman's dry mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise, Hellman's or Best Foods

3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1/2 to 1 teaspoon celery seeds, to taste
Paprika for garnish

Per serving
Protein: 3G Fat: 32.1G Carbs: 4.8G

Steam cauliflower florets until tender but not soft. Set aside to cool.
Put the scallions, celery, bell pepper, and parsley in a large salad bowl. Add salt and pepper.
Make the dressing: mix the mustard, vinegar, and mayonnaise in a small bowl until smooth.
When the cauliflower is cool, chop and add it to the vegetables and mix with enough dressing to just coat the vegetables. Stir in the eggs and celery seeds and mix well. Sprinkle paprika on top and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours for flavors to develop.
Posted by Debelli on 09-16-2000 04:25 AM:

Now that SPLENDA is readily available in most places, thought I would get this recipe on the board that uses it. Please let me know if anyone makes them!

MERINGUES

Makes 36 cookies
Per cookie: 13 calories; 1.6 grams carbohydrates; 0.2 grams fiber

3 egg whites
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
3/4 cup Splenda

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Beat egg whites with salt until frothy; beat in cream of tartar. Combine cocoa powder, nuts and Splenda. Add gradually to egg whites, beating constantly until mixture forms soft, glossy peaks. on ungreased heavy paper on baking sheet. Drop onto ungreased, heavy paper on cookie sheets. Bake about 30 minutes or until cookies are dry. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

Here's one using STEVIA (have not tried it)

APPLESAUCE-YOGURT LOAF

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon stevia
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In a medium bowl, beat egg, add oil. Stir in yogurt, applesauce, stevia, vanilla, and nuts.
3. Combine yogurt mixture with dry ingredients, mixing until jsut moistened. Pour into a greased 9" X 5" loaf pan. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove.
Posted by Christian on 09-20-2000 09:43 PM:

This one looks good to me I got it out of the low carb section...

Quick Chocolate Cheesecake

1 pkg. chocolate fudge s/f pudding
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup cold water
4 oz. cream cheese

Beat pudding, cream, and water until thick, Beat in cream cheese and refridgerate.
Posted by Tired on 09-21-2000 09:32 AM:

Poultry Burgers

4oz ground chicken or turkey breast
1 tbsp finely minced onion
1 tbsp unprocessed bran
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt

Combine everything and form into burgers. Grill or broil the burger but be sure not to overcook. Count on half the time needed for beef - about 3 minutes on each side.

Chicken Cobb Salad

8 large lettuce leaves
6 cups head lettuce, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup red cabbage, chopped
2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1/2 cup vinaigrette dressing

Arrange the lettuce leaves on the plates. mix all the remaining ingredients and mound on the lettuce leaves.

Happy cooking everyone! I have tried both of these recipes and really enjoyed them. They are both super easy to make!

Georgina
Posted by Debelli on 09-21-2000 07:58 PM:

I found these 2 recipes on another board, haven't tried them though, sounds pretty good, though I'd switch the pork rings to crumbeled SB legal bacon on the first one!

Baked Spinach and Ricotta
Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients:
3 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds fresh) chopped Spinach
Salt
4 Eggs (separated)
1 pint Ricotta Cheese
1/2 shredded Cheese (suggest Provolone)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Black Pepper
Nutmeg
Butter
Crumbs (crumbled pork rind) to cover casserole

Clean and trim the spinach leaves, and chop fine.

Sprinkle about a teaspoon of salt over the chopped spinach, and let it stand for a while. (But before you add it to the recipe, be sure to press out as much of the moisture as possible.)

Butter a 2-quart casserole dish, and sprinkle enough bread crumbs in it to cover the bottom.

Preheat the oven to 350-F degrees.

Separate the eggs; beat the yolks with the three cheeses, then add pepper and nutmeg to taste. Drain the spinach and stir it in.

Beat the egg whites until they're stiff. Fold them into the spinach-and-cheese mixture.

Turn all into the prepared casserole dish, and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.

SPINACH-CHEDDAR CASSEROLE

4 eggs
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1 16-ounce container cottage cheese
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup packed grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup WW flour(wonder if you can omit this)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dillweed

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Beat eggs, salt and pepper to blend in large bowl. Mix in spinach. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended. Transfer mixture to prepared dish.

Bake casserole until center is firm and top is golden, about 45 minutes.

8 to 10 side-dish Servings.

Bon Apetit!
Posted by Christian on 09-21-2000 09:06 PM:

This is a little dish my aunt makes and it is really good I think it is sugar buster legal also....

Taco dish
1 pound of lean ground beef
1 16 oz. jar of salsa
shredded lettuce
shredded cheese
black olives (sliced)
1 can fat free refried beans (optional)
cook the beef to a golden brown, drain any grease, and place in the bottom of a casserole dish, next place salsa on the top of it, then add lettuce and cheese and olives if desired and enjoy!! I just love it and you could use chicken as the meat also if you like, she also puts refried beans on hers after the meat, but it is all up to how you like to eat it! You can also add sour cream to the top for a little extra boost!

Posted by gobigorange at work on 09-26-2000 05:05 AM:

ITALIAN BEAN AND FETA SALAD
3 large tomatoes chopped
1 cup crumbled FETA (I used the flavored kind)
16 -20 pitted black olives,sliced
1 heaping tbs minced garlic
pimentoes to your taste ( I put 2-3 heaping tbs)
1/4 cup olives oil
2 tbs vinegar of choice. Recipe calls for red wine, but I use cider
1 regular sized can of white beans rinsed and drained.
Combine together and put into the fridge for
two hours before serving. (It's better the second day)
Posted by Christian on 09-28-2000 09:56 PM:

Sparkling Dainties

1 package of sugar free jello
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tbls. nonfat dry milk powder

In 8 inch dish or pan, stir jello and boiling water until jello is dissolved. Chill till firm. Cut into 1-inch squares: roll in milk powder to coat. Makes 64 dainties.

0 calories, 0 carbs, Per serving
Looked kinda interesting to me so I thought I would pass it on
Posted by Debelli on 09-29-2000 05:09 AM:

Haven't made either one, but both are on my list to try one day!

RED LENTIL BULGUR SOUP

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (90 g) red split lentils
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (50 g) bulgur
5 cups (1200 g) water
1 small size (30 g) onion
2 teaspoons (12 g) sea salt
3 tablespoons (40 g) butter
2 tablespoons (12 g) whole grain flour
(you can use spelt or whole wheat pastry flour)
1 1/2 tablespoons (20 g) tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoons (1 g) dried mint
1/2 teaspoon (1 g) red pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons (20 g) lemon juice

Instructions:

Combine red split lentils and bulgur in a saucepan. Add water and simmer uncovered for 10 - 15 minutes or until tender. Remove scum with a perforated spoon.

Stir in chopped onion. Season with salt. Simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils and onion are tender.

Melt margarine in a skillet. Stir in flour blending well. Brown lightly. Add tomato paste, crushed mint and red pepper. Mix well.

Sprinkle mixture over soup. Serve hot with lemon juice.

Makes 6 servings.
APPLE BROWN BETTY

Ingredients:
4 cups apples
1 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup frozen concentrated apple juice
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 lemon

Directions: Slice 2 cups unpeeled apples into quart baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 the juice from 1/2 lemon.

Mix together in a bowl: wheat germ, rolled oats, cinnamon, thawed apple juice, and butter.

Sprinkle 1/2 oat and wheat germ mixture on top of apples. Slice the rest of the unpeeled apples on top; sprinkle with remaining lemon juice; and then sprinkle the remaining oat and wheat germ mixture over the apples.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until apples are soft and the topping is crunchy.

Serves 6.
Posted by Rosalie on 09-29-2000 06:55 AM:

Pork Chops With Dijon & Applesauce

4 pork chops trimmed of all visible fat
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon of dijion mustard (I used a spicy brown)
1/2 tsp sage

Heat 2 tsp oil in pan. Sprinkle garlic powder and pepper over both sides of the pork chops. Next brown chops over high heat. Mix together applesauce, mustard, sage and salt to taste. Lower heat and pour applesauce mixture over chops. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes or until done. Adjust seasonings if you wish. Serve with brown rice.

I recently made this and it turned out great and it was so easy.

Baked Salmon

2 Salmon fillets
1 yellow onion sliced in thin rings
2 plum tomatoes sliced thin
1/2 tsp dried basil or Italian herb mix
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper

Place fish in lightly oiled baking dish. Sprinkle on lemon juice. Place onion rings and tomatoes on top of fish. Sprinkle on salt, pepper and herbs. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Serve with a side of spinach or broccoli.

Also works well in the microwave. Microwave on high for about 6 minutes.

Chicken with Mushrooms and Sour Cream

2 boneless chicken breasts
1/4lb mushrooms sliced
2 tbsp sour cream (or yogurt)
2 tsp olive oil
I/2 tsp. Italian herb mix
1/2 yellow pepper cut into strips

Sauté the mushrooms in one tsp oil at medium heat until brown. Set aside. Add second tsp oil to pan and sauté the chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked inside, about 15 minutes. While the chicken is cooking add the yellow pepper and sauté for a few minutes – should remain slightly crisp. Add the herb mix. Return the mushrooms to the pan and sauté together for a couple more minutes at medium heat. Add the sour cream and turn heat down to low. Stir with a wooden spatula to incorporate the cooking juices into the sour cream. Turn chicken to coat both sides.

Serve with steamed asparagus, or green beans.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

2 small heads of broccoli, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp oil
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup 18% cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in pan and fry onion for about 5 minutes. Add broccoli, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and cook for about 10-15 minutes. When done pour mixture into blender and puree while adding the cream. Return to stove and simmer a few more minutes. Add a little more chicken stock if needed.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:56 PM   #7  

Moving up.
Closed Thread