Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Running after pregnancy

I just wanted to post what my chiropractor told me last week about getting back into jogging or running after pregnancy since I had asked about it in an earlier thread. He told me that he would recommend waiting about 6 months after baby is born before beginning anything with that kind of impact. He suggested using low-impact exercise machines and doing lots of walking until then.

This actually works out really well for me since my goal was to start running by spring. I've chased DS at the playground a couple of times and my pubic symphisis is still too sore to do more than that! I'm looking forward to the spring since I really miss running and DH bought me a snazzy MP3 player for Chrismas to inspire me!

Now I've just got to get over my cold and get back into a walking routine!
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

Guess that explains why I still feel my pelvic bones shifting around sometimes! I just don't know how things are supposed to be after a vaginal birth, KWIM? And here I was thinking about asking Rob for a jogging stroller for Christmas...
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #3  
Tired Mommy of Two Girls

I'm actually glad to hear that you are having pain in your pubic bone still. I had my daughter 10/13, she was 9 lbs 1.2 ounce and posterior (facing up). This causes a lot of impact on your pubic bone since they are turning toward the back rather than the front. Anyway, I was starting to worry that I'd done permanent damage. It hurts way more than with my first. I'm not glad you are having pain but it gives me hope that I'm not going to have damage permanently.

I keep forgetting that it has only been a couple of months now. I'm impatient and feeling bad about my belly. Need to give myself a break and keep my focus on my daughter.

Thanks for your post.
Heather
hmksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #4  
resident lactivist

Ah, the posterior thing explains it a little more. Esther was sunny side up too (part of why I had a 41-hour labor).

She's worth it though.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #5  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

The nurses told me it 'hurts so much more, and you need at least an extra inch of room all around' with a sunny-side-up baby, as was mine. It was my first time giving birth so what do I have to compare it to!? Maybe they wanted to make me feel better for thinking it was so horrendously painful!
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #6  
resident lactivist

Oh, it IS horrendously painful. Everyone tells you how horrible the contractions are when you're induced with Pitocin...I was Pit-induced with my first, and the contractions were painful but totally manageable. The all-natural contractions with Esther were 10x worse than the ones with Bobbie. I didn't have anything for the pain with Bobbie until it was time for the c-section. I was practically begging for a narcotic with Esther!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #7  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

I'm actually happy... in a sick way, I guess .... to hear someone else say it was horrible. My little circle of friends who have given birth seem to brush it off like passing a person out of your vagina is no big deal. I went to visit one girl in the hospital about 24 hours after she'd given birth, and when I asked if she had been given any Lortab or Darvocet, she said, "No, all I've had is 2 Tylenols since she was born!" All cheery and crap.

Oh well. Maybe the women who have no pain just have really giant clackers to begin with!

I hope this one is face-down.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #8  
future lightweight rower

S/C/G: 146/146/135

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Oh well. Maybe the women who have no pain just have really giant clackers to begin with!
Oh that is so funny!!!

I was induced and it hurt like h-e-l-l. I never imagined the kind of pain I had - I originally didn't want drugs but I ended up getting the works and was relieved to get it too!
toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #9  
Egy Kis Lany

<--- Terrified to get pregnant.

Thanks ladies, this has been an inspiring post to help me remember the benefits of practicing safe sex!

*wink*

Someday, I think... but for now I should probably stick to the whole no-babies thing.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #10  
Egy Kis Lany

*thinks*

That was supposed to be a joke, just for the record... I realized too late that maybe I have no business posting in the pregnant-nursing forum, but it popped up on my 'new posts' page.

I'm -excited- about people having babies! Even ones that are 'sunny side up' (I didn't know that they usually came out 'over easy', I just assumed it was face up...). Just... yikes!

Best of luck with the healing and the pain, and take the break to enjoy your new bundles of joy!
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #11  
resident lactivist

Well, I thought it was funny. You've got to learn to have a good sense of humor if you're gonna have kids.

Every woman feels the pain of childbirth differently. I sometimes think Esther presented like she did to teach me a lesson in humility. I still remember laying there in bed the first time with the contractions and thinking to myself "This is it? This is the pain everyone says is the worst ever? This is just like menstrual cramps!" Not that it didn't hurt, just that I could handle it, yk?

But by the time I went in to the hospital to have Esther, I was about ready to go off on my fellow crunchy mamas and slap the daylights out of every woman who'd ever told me how the pain just melts away in the birthing pool. I learned the hard way that I really should have reviewed my Bradley stuff too; I thought I already knew it but I was just not able to consciously relax this time like I was the first time.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:23 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma
Oh, it IS horrendously painful. Everyone tells you how horrible the contractions are when you're induced with Pitocin...I was Pit-induced with my first, and the contractions were painful but totally manageable. The all-natural contractions with Esther were 10x worse than the ones with Bobbie. I didn't have anything for the pain with Bobbie until it was time for the c-section. I was practically begging for a narcotic with Esther!

I've ended up having Pitocin with both my labors and both ended up being extremely different. With my son, I thought I was going to die and had an epidural. With my daughter, I breezed through the 3 hours of labor with walking and breathing and only told DH that I was overwhelmed during what I later realized was transition.

Circumstances were so different for both (support system, pain relief techniques, dilation prior to labor, etc.), but I'm still amazed at how differently I reacted to the same drug.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmksmith
Anyway, I was starting to worry that I'd done permanent damage. It hurts way more than with my first. I'm not glad you are having pain but it gives me hope that I'm not going to have damage permanently.
I had a perfectly normal delivery, but I did have a lot of pain in my pubic symphisis. I actually had it adjusted a few times by my chiropractor since it got to the point where it was painful whenever I stepped with my right leg. I didn't have anything like this with my first pregnancy.

I'm frustrated that I'm still having pain, but at least it's mostly limited to when I'm sleeping. With needing to be on my side for Lillian's night-time feedings it seems to put a lot of pressure on my pelvis and I often wake up sore. I've been doing the pillow between the knees thing and it helps, but my pillow often gets lost somewhere in the blankets while I'm shuffling the baby around!

Hopefully we'll both be back to normal soon!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #14  

Shoot. That first line should have read that I had a lot of pain in my pubic symphisis during my pregnancy. During labor it was fine.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #15  
resident lactivist

Quote:
I've been doing the pillow between the knees thing and it helps, but my pillow often gets lost somewhere in the blankets while I'm shuffling the baby around!
My middle daughter stole my extra pillow and claimed it as her own! I hear ya on the pain of having to lay on your side too. We were careful to buy a pretty firm mattress since I co-sleep, but it's painful sometimes.