PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #31  
Swimming Mouse

I read a magazine article the other day that says obesity causes PCOS, but I wasn't obese when I started gaining weight. I was overweight, and I suppose if you go by the BMI chart, I was "moderately obese"... and I did see a doctor write that down once. But I'm 5'7" tall, and have a large frame. I weighed between 210-220. I don't think that is disgustingly overweight. I could wear normal clothing, though I tended to buy 2X sizes in most things, and 3X in shorts because I don't like short-shorts or tight clothing. My clothing has always been big on me, which I prefer.
Now, however, I gained 180 pounds or so in a little over 2 years (1998-late 2000). I was diagnosed in 2001.
I don't think I agree with the magazine article, to be truthful. I have pictures of me from when I graduated from college, and I look just fine. My graduation gown fit. I bought a formal dress in an 18, a semi-formal in a 20 (it had a belt and buttoned down the front, so the fit was different), and my dress for my best friends wedding was a 20 also.
Anyway, I exercise daily, don't eat much... 1300-1600 calories a day, sometimes I can get 1800 in. And I still don't lose weight.
My endocrinologist wants me to have a pannulectomy, but I can't find a doctor to do it, and.. I read Noodles' post about liposuction, and wonder if its the same thing.
Although, I can't see what good it is for me to weigh what I weigh even if I do exercise a lot and eat almost sensibly most of the time. I need to buy new clothes, still, everything is too big, even the past I bought last spring... my TA is telling me every day now that I'm losing weight which she never has before, and a lot of people are asking about my hair. I haven't done anything different with my hair, and don't style it anymore now than I ever have in the past... I'm too lazy to get up at 4:30 in the morning to shower then and gel it, so I shower at night... and I can't gel it when its dry. I figure they're asking me about my hair because they're just noticing it now... because I look different overall.
But I haven't lost any pounds... its another 3 weeks before I can check inches again, but I seem to have lost my shoe laces!

Old 09-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #32  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Wow Anonymouse, you sound like me...I always make good healthy choices...well ok not ALWAYS...but I don't like sit down and pig out every day..I eat sandwiches instead of whoppers, i eat whole wheat bread, lean means, reduced calorie cheese....and i exercise...i'm losing weight but VERY SLOWLY...and the second i mess up for even a MINUTE i gain it ALL BACK (like I'll have one bad week and the five pounds it took be a month to lose, ALL COMES BACK.

I gained 70 pounds in two years. I look at pictures of myself when i thought i was super fat...when i weight like 230...and i dream of weighing that much again. i hope my doc finds something for me. *crosses fingers*

i'm so glad i'm not alone though...
Old 09-17-2004, 06:24 PM   #33  
Swimming Mouse

I was teaching my students various skills using a grocery store ad, and found all of the Hood Low Carb Dairy stuff on sale this week. Fantastic prices... lots of it was buy one, get one free. I can't have nutra sweet so I buy this stuff, it uses Splenda.
I don't eat whoppers. I eat rye bread, turkey based lunch meats, frozen dinners, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, diet drinks. The gym was pretty bad this week, since they were closed yesterday, I had grad classes on Monday, Rosh Hashana was Wednesday, and we had tornado warnings and thunderstorms tonight so the pool is closed. The gym closes early on Fridays, so I know the storms won't be over before they close.
I don't necessarily gain the weight back, which I attribute mostly to the medication, but even with eveyrthing I do I don't even lose 5 pounds. I think MAYBE I lost 2 pounds, MAYBE... The lsat time I wore my appropriate shoes, I weighed 2 pounds more than I did this time. These are the shoes that have my ankle orthotics in the one shoe, and its metal, both shoes are ankle high and they're heavy shoes.
I dunno,though. People at work keep telling me how much weight I've lost. The scale doesn't know about it though.
And the whole grad school thing: I've made such an over the whole thing. And then couldn't get my advisor, so I didn't know what to do. Its been a long week in that regard, and so today I was supposed to talk to him, but I got tied up with a kid in our behavior center, and then an hour later when I finally got to a phone again, I couldn't get through! ARRRGH!!!!! So I asked one of the people on campus, an administrator who is also an assistant professor, and then felt even more like a knucklehead. I tend to talk too much when I want people to understand me and I'm not sure they understand. I'm not sure I understand what exactly happened to be honest, so I was more wordy than usual. It was also late Friday afternoon. It was really a mess.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:06 PM   #34  
WW Moderator

Mouse, don't look at the scale. I know that is the easiest way to see it (for me also) but you are apparently losing inches, which might relate to fat loss and muscle gain!

I love the Hood Low Carb Chocolate Milk. I never buy it though, hard to drink just one glass. I have no self control with chocolate milk!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:50 PM   #35  
Swimming Mouse

I'm trying not to look at the scale, and just look at my clothes in between the times I measure. I've officially lost my shoelaces that I was using, so I'll have to start over. I bet the cat knows where my shoelaces are! :sigh:
I'm having bathing suit issues, though... The 26 and 28 are too big. The bra for the 24 is too small. ARRRGH! I mostly swim breaststroke because of my ankle, and its hard when you feel like you're falling out of the suit!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:05 PM   #36  
Rattie Lover

Hello everyone!!

I'm sorry I haven't been too posty lately. I have alot going on and I guess a bit of the post-depression birthday blues so I just become a hermit at times. Not to mention the fact that I haven't been able to exercise much due to my arthritis and bad knee so I've gained weight. 13 pounds...blah!!!

The good news is I am going to the endo tomorrow and I'll get a referral from her to go see an orthopedic surgeon. My knees really need surgery...I got hit by a car in 1990 and they said eventually I would need I keep putting it off..and putting it off..and I just cant put it off anymore. So..come January I'll probably get it done and over with. Wheelchair and crutches will be my friends for a few weeks. But this gives me time to heal by spring. Spring here is end of Feburary!! Crazy huh...

I good chocolate milk is the 8th Continent Light Chocolate Soy Milk. Great for hot flashes and good for you too!! Yum!!! I'm also hooked on this new 7-UP with the Splenda.

Well, I will shut up for now. Take care everyone and type soon!!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:16 AM   #37  
WW Moderator

Noodles, I'm going to have to think of something to perk you up. Maybe I should send a stripping gorilla to your house???

I love the 8th Continent Choc Soy Milk too! YUMMMMM, but it has a lot of sugar in it. Maybe they will come out with a Splenda version. Or maybe there is one already and I just don't have it yet here. 7-UP has Splenda now? Yayyyyy! I will have to look for that. I was hoping it would happen since RC bought it!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:31 AM   #38  
Rattie Lover

Jennifer: I drink the light 8th Continent. I can't handle the regular one. I believe it is low in sugar too, but not 100%. Next time I pick some up at Super Wally I'll check for ya. And that 7-Up they came out with is the fruity one...with the Splenda. I hope they start putting it in their regular 7-Up though. That would be cool!! Out with all of these other cancer-gas causing artificial sweetners and IN with the Splenda!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:33 AM   #39  
Rattie Lover

Forgot to add...

Does the stripping gorilla work for Publishers Clearing House??
Old 09-23-2004, 02:52 AM   #40  
Rattie Lover

Well..today I went to the endocrinologist...

She wants to take out my ovaries. Apparently they are in worse shape than we originally thought and aren't expected to get any better. She is worried about ovarian cancer, one seems to be all twisted, etc...and says they really need to come out before things get even worse. Sheesh!

I just had a hysterectomy in June 2003...I wish I would of stuck to my guns and had my GYN take them out then but he really wanted to try to see if he could fix the one bad one, plus my age was "too young" so...I guess there's a reason for everything. Oh well. Another surgery to look forward too. I will probably get it done in January...after the holidays unless she says it needs to be done immediately. I guess my knee surgery will have to wait.

She said I'm doing great otherwise and was so proud of me for dropping all ofthe weight I dropped & getting my blood sugars back to normal. I told her I had dropped 13 more pounds but then gained it back due to not being able to exercise much cause of my knee. She was still thrilled and wished all her patients would listen like I do. She wants me to let my "facial hair" grow a few days before my next visit so she can see how bad it really is. I told her no way!! EWWW!! But I might just have too anyhow. Yeck! Then I got my blood work done...She's checking for everything as usual..have to keep an eye on my liver. I don't want to ever damage it again like I did in 2001-2002. That was horrible.

I go back in 2 weeks to see what the blood work says. If I have some sort of elevations in certain things then she said definitely surgery and the sooner the better. I say the later the better!! I just need to make it through the holidays to January then they can chop away. Plus I have a cafe plan that gets refreshed with funds every January to pay for medical stuff.

So..that's the story. I am thinking about asking my endo to be a guest writer on our forum here. What do you think??? Our own doc!!! I don't know if she'd have time for it but I could always take notes from her.

How is everyone else doing?? Feel free to buzz in!! Oh and don't forget about our lonely word game... It misses you and wants you to play. It told me so.

Type at you later...
Old 09-23-2004, 08:59 PM   #41  
Vermin's Mum

Location: Nova Scotia (in my heart of hearts--headed there in a bit under 2 years)

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum, but what better place to go for support than a group of women who are treading the same path?

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago and am currently on metformin. I'm taking 1000 a day as I can't tolerate 1500, and have gone from three periods a year to periods that last 3-4 months long. (ick) I started a new job and had to change docs because the old one isn't part of my new insurance plan, but the new one actually suggested a hysterectomy at our first meeting. I'm thrilled because I've dealt with this for years (I probably had PCOS for a good 8 years before I was diagnosed and kept getting the run around from GYNs, thinking it was all in my head) and I'm really tired of it. I am thinking I would like them to leave at least one ovary though, both to minimize insta-menopause and to protect againt osteoporosis, coronary artery disease, and breast cancer.

I started weight watchers 3 weeks ago and am having a steady loss (down to 219.2 from a high of 226 five weeks ago) which I am happy about. My immediate goal is to get under 200lbs--199 here I come!

I was reading some studies earlier and they suggested that Saw Palmetto (1-1.5g per day) worked well at blocking some of the androgens and cutting down on the hirsutism that is such a problem with PCOS. I bought some today and will let you know if it help me at all. I have an actual beard and moustache, and grow thick coarse black hair at such a rate that I have to shave it daily. I'm saving up for laser hair removal, but it'll be a bit before I can commit the $1000 or so it'll take to do my face. The face bothers me the worst, though the back hair and inner thigh hair are buggers as well. How badly do you guys have this?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:20 PM   #42  
Vermin's Mum

Location: Nova Scotia (in my heart of hearts--headed there in a bit under 2 years)

BTW, for those of you who have had hysterectomies, how long was the recovery? I've been told its 4 weeks for a vag/hys and was rather hoping I could be out of work (I'm an RN) for 2 weeks and then return on light duty (no lifting, pulling etc) until I fully recover. That may be overly optimistic though. I started my new job about 2 months ago, so I have squat for earned time off and can't afford to take a lot of time off. I figure I'll keep working for now and accrue more hours off, and keep bleeding all the time. *sigh* I should buy stock in Tampax!

BTW, Jennifer--you look gorgeous in your avatar photo!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:16 AM   #43  
WW Moderator

Hello, Will-Woman! Congrats on getting the hysterectomy. I had large fibroids and had a hyst in 1998. It took me about 6 weeks to recover, and I had a tummy tuck with mine. I had 300+ stitches, so I'd say 4 weeks for a vaginal sounds about right. You're not going to be able to do any heavy work for a while, and I'd plan on starting out a half-week that first week to make sure you ease back into things. I had both of my ovaries out 3 months ago. It was supposed to be cyst removal only, but I was so matted with adhesions they couldn't get to them, so a general surgeon cleaned me out and they had no choice but to pluck out the ovaries while they were in there. I'ev had hot flashes, but that's about it.

I don't have a lot of facial hair, but I do have to keep it tweezed off. I'm going to get laser treatments next month. My endo's office does it at a reduced rate for their PCO patients. Hopefully I won't have to go too often. BTW, congrats on the weight loss! Hopefully when you get the weight off the symptoms will also decrease. I haven't tried Saw Palmetto, but I think Noodles has.

Noodles - I'm sorry you have to have a new surgery. I don't blame your doctor for taking them. Twisted ones can cause problems and now that they will be out, no worries about the cancer! That was my fear. Symptoms: change in menstrual periods. Hmm. Can't do that anymore, so no warnings! I'm relieved mine are gone now.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:59 AM   #44  
Rattie Lover

WELCOME, Willendorf_Woman!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see ya here!!

You're on the same amount of metormin that I am. It has been working for me blood sugar wise. I'm glad I gave it a chance.

My periods were doing exactly what yours are doing...I feel for you!!! I had a vaginal hysterectomy in June 2003. I'm SOOO glad I did. I don't miss those bleeding days for anything!!! My complete recovery for the vaginal hysterectomy was about 4 months. Recovery to where I could get around and do light things was about a week or so. I hear its a bit longer for an abdominal hysterectomy.

I take Saw Palmetto. To be honest I haven't noticed THAT much of a difference. I'm still losing hair on my head and growing hair where I don't want it. I've been taking it for over 6 months now. I have to shave daily too. It sucks!! Hopefully after I get my ovaries out some of this will stop.

Do you like Vermin?????? I noticed your words under your avatar so I had to ask.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:01 AM   #45  
Vermin's Mum

In addition to my three people children, I also have a very spoiled (and very evil) kitty named Vermin. *grin* Vermin is a Russian Blue and makes a marvelous diet aide in and of herself, or at least she did when she got her name. We would have to lock her in the bathroom to eat or else in about 2 milliseconds she would run up your leg, down your arm, and your food would be gone. She doubles as an alarm clock by sucking your eyelids or ear whilst you try to sleep, and further serves as a hat, liking to sleep atop your head, which is nice in the winter, but not at all nice if its hot, or if she has fleas. *shudder* She's my baby, and I can snuggle with her, but anyone else does so at their own risk, since she'll turn around a bite you with little notice or provocation. She's mellowing a bit as she ages, but is still waaaay too fiesty. *lol* Despite her eccentricities, I adore her and consider her my 4th child. She also is much less mouthy than my three teens are these days.
Closed Thread