PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Wendy!

has anyone tried the at home lasers like Non-No? I would like to buy one, but I haven't seen any reviews.
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

another hardcore hairplucker here... hair on my face is one quick way to have an ugly day I usually wax or use an epilator but the hair has to be long enough for that, so other times I just shave

has anyone tried the new at home laser machines out now? they are kinda expensive, but if they work then it's worth it... only problem is I read laser doesn't really work if the hair growth is hormonal (and alot of hair on a woman's face is usually hormone related)
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #48  

haven't read the whole thread, but YES, I most definitely pluck those chin hairs- I can't STAND them!
Aianah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 192/188/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet2727 View Post
I shave my blasted chin every day. I've been doing this since I was in my early 20s. I am seriously considering laser treatment.
I am currently getting laser treatments ... I have 2 more to go (finished 4 already). I can tell a difference! Hopefully at the end of May I will be hair free or at least close. I wish those lasers could pick up the blonde hair too, but I'll be happy with the dark and course hair gone.
jakeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Yup, course chin hair here. I pluck them each morning with tweezers. Those suckers are like beard hair!! Thank goodness I don't have a lot!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 262/242/162

I have a lot or coarse, black chin hairs that look like a man's beard if I I don't pluck them often, which is supposed to make it worse. I tried laser 5 years ago and $600 later, The hairs were finer but still there. As soon as I stopped the expensive treatments, they went back to coarse, dark hairs. AFTER I paid all that money The laser-removal people asked me if I have any hormonal issues. I said yes, and they said it sometimes doesn't work if you have excess testosterone. That info would have been nice before I spend a fortune on laser. I'm going to try electrolysis. My OB/GYN said that might should work better.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #52  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Ladies stop plucking and waxing you are making it worse, if you must, shave or trim!

Electrolysis is the ONLY thing that works and is permanent. If new hairs come later, those are different follicles and most likely due to hormonal changes. That happened with my mom, she did electrolysis like 12 years ago, hit menopause, and now has a few hairs coming up that she gets touched up by her electrologist.

I know a lot of people keep saying laser, but that isn't always the best route, and IMO I'm usually wary of things not FDA approved.

Let me tell you a laser HORROR story. My friend, who is harrier than me, went and got laser done. You know what happened? Her hair got WORSE. Sometimes the laser can STIMULATE your follicles! The people she went to ended up telling her after she spent like 5 freaking grand to look like sasquatch! She now gets electrolysis done. I told her she should have demanded her money back...

I chose the "cheaper route" and started getting electrolysis. My first session was 2 hours and $100. The electrologist said shaving does NOT make hairs thicker. Plucking, tweezing, waxing, and hormones DO.

My first time the electrologist said my hairs were like TITANIUM they did not want to come out.

I have been doing treatments since December, 2 hours a month, $100, and the results are amazing. I no longer pluck, I just shave. Not only is the hair growing slower, but the hair is overall less in 3 months.

The only reason I'm still going two hours at a time is that I'm giving her more areas to work on, first she was only doing my chin, but as that has lessened she's doing my sideburns, upper lip, and then I have some hairs on my chest area as well.

Good luck ladies And if you go for electrolysis make sure to go to a good one, my mom went to one who used a lot of "heat" and not galvanic electrolysis, and it started damaging her skin. When you go for a consult ask them if that is what they do and if you have to hold a metal rod during the procedure, IMO no metal rod = not good electrolysis.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 262/242/162

Thanks, beerab. That's good info. I wish I would have just done electrolysis instead of wasting time and money with laser.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

[QUOTE=beerab;4650106
I have been doing treatments since December, 2 hours a month, $100, and the results are amazing. I no longer pluck, I just shave. Not only is the hair growing slower, but the hair is overall less in 3 months.
[/QUOTE]

wow...that sounds like a great price, especially if eventually the results are permanent. I understand hair grows in cycles so would need a few sessions... about how many sessions does it take to cover an area like the chin OR the upperlip? Is that about the average price for electrolysis? I heard it also depends on the person... 2 hours yours might be able to work quickly, while I worry someone else might take their time and might not get at much done as quickly to keep you coming back more...

Maybe I'll use it as a reward for when I hit goal weight...would be a good way to get me going again on the weight loss too, plus I'd hope I'd be less hairy if I lost more fat.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 189/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Ladies, get on a low carb program and lose the weight. From what I've read, that alone should help IMMENSELY.

Cut the sugars, breads, pastas, and packaged chemical foods. I know Atkins has a bad rap, but it works wonders for this kind of problem. Judging by myself, as soon as I stray back to a carb-heavy diet, I swear I get new hairs growing (all over my body).

And off course, a trip to the doctors to treat the root of the problem is a smart move.
California17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'10

I've been plucking my chin to the point where I end up with scabs. And then end up picking THOSE as well. I notice everytime I pluck now, there are new hairs growing in a different part of my chin. I am sure it's due to the elevated testosterone levels and I atleast hope that with losing that weight, i'll be able to stop the new hair growth. I might look into electrolysis, but I'm just afraid at throwing so much money at somethig that may mot work.

Has anyone tried facial bleaching products to minimise the appearance of the hair? Did it work? What brands would you recommend?
uberaditi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 219/Start IP at 206/172/135

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberaditi View Post
I've been plucking my chin to the point where I end up with scabs. And then end up picking THOSE as well. I notice everytime I pluck now, there are new hairs growing in a different part of my chin. I am sure it's due to the elevated testosterone levels and I atleast hope that with losing that weight, i'll be able to stop the new hair growth. I might look into electrolysis, but I'm just afraid at throwing so much money at somethig that may mot work.

Has anyone tried facial bleaching products to minimise the appearance of the hair? Did it work? What brands would you recommend?
bleaching hides, but can help promote hair growth. I have had electrolysis for the past 25 years on my face to control unwanted hair growth due to PCOS , always new hairs.

I have had electrolysis on my face and full body laser to remove all hair ( I haven't shaved in 8 years -- armpits, stomach, bikini and full legs). I am incredibly happy with both, but because of PCOS I must get constant touch ups on both my face and my armpits and legs, always new hair regrowth somewhere. I have also notices that where I apply my progesterone and estrogen cream, I get new hairs. ( can't seem to win)

The electrolysis and the lazer technician ( in my case it's the same person I have been seeing for over 25 years) make or break it. I have had people go elsewhere with horror stories about both. They usually ask me and end up coming to see my person.

You must find one that is knowledgeable about hormones, not only esthetics. My electrolysist researched for over 10 years before even getting into the lazer, her rules are very strict, won't do it on just anyone, gives a consult first, tests, etc. For example, for some reason, I scar around the knees. She refuses to do lazer anywhere around the knees and cleans up new hair growth with electrolysis there.

Also, lazer works bests on people with dark hair, thus the reason why it does not work well on some people and why research is so important before spending the money and believing anyone.

I would not write off either electrolysis or lazer. Personnally, I would not get lazer in the face, but that is a personal choice. I am one of only two clients of hers who has had to continue for this long to keep hair growth under control ( both with hormonal issues). I would research extensively the services in your area, get referrals and then make an educated decision.

No matter what you get, because of PCOS,do not be surprised that it is a constant upkeep and not a short term permanent fix. It does make you feel so much better looking in the mirror and is worth every penny.

And just to put things in perspective, I now go once every 5 weeks, for about 2 hours, but that is a full body touch up from head to toe.

sorry, just my two cents after having spent tons of money over the past 25 years. Good luck

Last edited by ginettepv; 03-24-2013 at 07:34 AM.
ginettepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #58  
Julz2011

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'7''

Hello avalonmoon i knw how u feel i have the same problem, hate it. I started taking flaxseed 1/4 of a cup every day. I mix it with yogurt u can try adding it to oatmeal. My facial hair growth is a loooot slower now and some hairs disappeared completely . O and my face and hair is not as oily. Hope this helps. Good luck
Julz2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #59  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
wow...that sounds like a great price, especially if eventually the results are permanent. I understand hair grows in cycles so would need a few sessions... about how many sessions does it take to cover an area like the chin OR the upperlip? Is that about the average price for electrolysis? I heard it also depends on the person... 2 hours yours might be able to work quickly, while I worry someone else might take their time and might not get at much done as quickly to keep you coming back more...

Maybe I'll use it as a reward for when I hit goal weight...would be a good way to get me going again on the weight loss too, plus I'd hope I'd be less hairy if I lost more fat.
Sorry didn't realize there were a response.

It all depends on the person. You could go and be done with treatments within a year, OR you could go for a year and then in a year or so need touchups. But the hair removal in that particular root will be permanent, the problem is we have so many roots that one area might just decide "I want to start growing now" and go from there.

It's been a few months since then and overall huge difference for me. My upper lip is pretty much non-existant. The few hairs on my chest area grow very slowly and much finer now. My sideburns are also much finer. My chin/under chin area are my only sources of frustration right now. While the hair is growing slower it doesn't seem to have gotten much thinner. But my electrologist said the chin area always seems to be most stubborn in her experience.

I pay $50 an hour with her, which IMO is pretty cheap by most standards, I've seen it as high as $90 an hour, but it depends on the area you get it done. The lady I see has an office in a small salon in a cheaper area of town. I found one in my area of town that charges $90/hr! I think that's way too much. I hear she's great, but the person I am seeing is good as well so I don't plan on switching anytime soon.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 240/232.5/150

Height: 5'2

I have tried EVERYTHING and still seem to have a full beard. I used to shave daily, but seemed to always have a blk 5 o'clock shadow, yuck. Right now it is probablly the most managed it has ever been. I have a permante bi-weekly wax scheduled, I pluck inbetween and use an epilslim home laser. I get a couple days a week with out hair.
Mugumya is offline   Reply With Quote