PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 375/187/167

Default Confused and needing some feedback

Hi there

I am interested in some feedback. I have PCOS altho not insulin resistant and take no medication. Over the last 3 years i have lost 40 kilos (about 88 pounds) by following weight watchers...i have eaten some processed foods within that such as diet icecream etc. Then i got down to 130 kilos (286 pounds) and didnt move. I was following the points plan...having carbs (altho not sugars or alcohol just complex carbs) working out 4-5 times per week (3 sessions per week with a personal trainer) and the scales still werent moving. Recently i cut back on carbs for a month, i was only eating carbs as in no bread, pasta, potatos, rice etc and only eating at breakfast, I did in this time lose 4 kilos but a month later I had carb cravings, was constipated, tired and my personal trainer wasnt happy when she found out i wasnt eating enough carbs to sustain my workout : so my question is has anyone got to a point and you cant budge? The whole weight loss thing is so confusing with so much conflicting information so whilst i am now readding some good carbs into my meals...I still have around 100 pounds to lose...the exercise i am sure isnt the issue as i do 90 minutes most days and its mostly cardio work (interval training, boxing, 5-6 kilometre walks outside) with only 1-2 weight sessions per week...its like i am just missing something from the equation - any feedback i would be so grateful for...sorry for the ramble LOL

Thanks

kazz =]
kkazz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

This reply is for your psychological well-being: Join the club sister!!!

Most of our bodies fight us REALLY hard, tooth and nail, to hold onto our weight. That is our biological, evolutionary nature.

First, if you are not following the Atkin's diet specifically, then please do NOT do low carb! The Atkin's diet replaces one's usual energy which comes from carbs with energy from fat.... but a lowfat, combined with a lowcarb diet has been proven quite dangerous.

Second, if you are truly eating less and healthier and exercising, and you feel better about your body -- then simply enjoy that feeling. Enjoy the feeling that you have maintained and not gained. Your body will, with time, overcome the plateau.

Don't feel disappointed when you get on the scale and see that it hasn't moved. Feel content that you are doing well maintaining. 44 kilos is a mega accomplishment.

Our bodies are made up of complex scientific processes happening inside our cells... and our bodies were first COMPLETELY confused when we started eating WAY TOO much and now are COMPLETELY confused again when we try to make it lose weight.

Have a little sympathy for your body, just because your mind has decided to lose weight - does not mean your body is "on board with the project". Your body is in "crazy mode" right now and simply doesn't trust you.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Bonnie is absolutely right and I wish I'd read her post a year ago when I was there! I'd lost 35 pounds rather slowly, but steadily. Then I hit a plateau and I just gave up. Back on went those 35 lbs plus some, and I wish so much that I had just been patient to maintain. I felt good about myself and I felt normal. Now I'm back to fat.

Our bodies just don't respond like the bodies of most women. You'll get there. There are too many success stories of women with PCOS to think otherwise. It just may take a while.

And from what I've read, perhaps a plateau is your body's way of resetting itself. Perhaps your new normal will be what you weigh now and then the scale will start to move again.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 375/187/167

Thanks for the responses and your right i may just have to relook at how i look at my loss and where i am now
kkazz123 is offline   Reply With Quote