PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Future skinny chick- There are different types of metformin that might help you with your stomach issues. I know someone who had a terrible time with it, until she tried extended release tabs (I believe that's what they're called), and she's fine with it now. The medicine goes into your bloodstream slower with those, minimizing some of the side effects.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I took Metformin for about a month or so, and I lost a few pounds but then stopped taking it. Do I really want to be on medication for the rest of my life? So I started experimenting with calories and found that my body doesn't lose if I go above 1200 calories per day. So, I've been eating 1200 calories per day and have lost 17lbs in the last month! I am also working out twice a week with doing weight training. I would like to add some cardio in eventually. I also DO NOT eat carbs at night EVER. Healthy carbs at breakfast and lunch, but at night is only lean protein with veggies.

I honestly think that us who have PCOS cannot lose weight like other women who can simply diet. We cannot eat whole grain pasta for dinner. We cannot drink juices. And we most certainly NEED to live a low-calorie lifestyle. This is just what I've discovered about myself in the last month. I've never gotten results like this before, and I always blamed it on the PCOS. But I think PCOS just forces us to diet differently, instead of "diets not working at all."

Sometimes I'm hungry, but I just blow it off. I know 1200 calories is safe, and I just have to get my body used to living on that. I've also switched to 99% all organic foods to reduce the amount of toxins going into my body. I had no idea that artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda and asparatame, were excito-toxins and endocryn-disruptors! They basically kill brain cells as well as mess up our hormone production... exactly what triggers PCOS. I found most of this out from Jillian Michaels' new book, "Master Your Metabolism." She explains that organic, clean eating and restful sleep should be the first priority, then exercise is second priority. Without the healthy food and sleep, the exercise won't do any good. And that's coming from her, lol. Anyway, just wanted to share my PCOS success I've had- I hope it helps!!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #18  

I am on 2000 mg of metformin, and have been for about three years. I initially had some side effects of the bathroom variety but found that as long as I took it w/ food and avoided alcohol (which wasn't hard for me) it generally worked out fine.

Since the new year I've lost 19 pounds (from 236 to 217) and lately I've found that I've been having symptoms from the metformin and I'm wondering if lower body weight if I need to lower my dose. I'm going to call my endo, but wanted to ask all of you out there what your experience has been with metformin doses as one is losing weight. Thanks!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 189/ticker/140

Wow, I was really excited to find this group. I was diagnosed about a year ago with PCOS. After college I gained about 50lbs in about a year and a half. I was being healthier then I have ever been. I didn't gain much at all in college but then randomly put on a lot of weight. I went to my doctor and had a very upsetting visit with a NP. So I scheduled an apt with my usual NP and it was much better. She set me up with an endo and a TON of blood work. I saw the endo and she had me do more blood work. After about the 5th set of blood work she diagnosed me with PCOS. She would have diagnosed it sooner but I don't have any family history as I was adopted. So she prescribed 1500mg of Met and I took it for a couple weeks. I HATE TAKING PILLS! So I didn't keep up with it. After reading this thread I am determined to start taking it and start seeing the endo again. I have been doing WW pretty regularly. I wasn't totally convinced that I had PCOS because there wasn't any test to say so. Everything else was ruled out. So I will be adding in the Met with my WW and my workouts and hopefully I can see the results that some of you are seeing!
LLBeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 87.1kg/82.3/67

Height: 164cms

Just wanted to say thank you for all of the great info on this thread - I am about to start back on metformin tomorrow after not having taken it for probably 7 years. I was a teenager when I was first diagnosed and if I'm honest, I don't think I gave metformin a really good try.

I have a couple of great doctors and a very sweet dietician helping me keep on track and I'm actually so looking foward to taking control of my condition (as best I can) and be proactive in getting healthy and well.

I hope I'm even half as successful as some of you lovely ladies, you're such an inspiration!
yoursummerdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursummerdream View Post
and if I'm honest, I don't think I gave metformin a really good try.
I agree with you 100%. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago and just after a couple weeks I was sick of taking the pills constantly! I am attempting to take the metformin again and will look back here and see how you made out! Best of luck.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

Height: 5'7

Your story is encouraging. I went to the fertility doctor today and he gave me Met. I am supposed to start at 500 mg and work up to 1500 mg per day.

I am not sure I want to take this drug. I read on-line that this drug interacts negatively with blood pressure medications. The doctor also took me off of my diuretic blood pressure meds and put me on a beta blocker. His reasoning was because Beta blockers can be used during pregnancy.

I am still not sure that I want to take the Met. or the Beta Blocker.

I am not IR, all my labs are normal; I have slightly high BP and high bad cholesterol along with cysts on my ovaries. I don't know what to do...

I am thinking that an hour of cardio per week coupled with a low fat, low calorie diet may help. Am I wishfully thinking here?

Does anyone wish they would have taken Met sooner?
Lady KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady KM View Post
Does anyone wish they would have taken Met sooner?
I didn't take mine after it was prescribed for me. I am just starting to take it again now. I was able to drop about 10 lbs when I was NOT taking it however it came right back. I am now doing the SAME workout/diet plan that I did when I lost the 10 lbs but this time while taking the metformin. Haven't lost much yet but will let you know what I think. I would just try it out and see what it does for you. My results wont reflect what you MIGHT have as results as it will affect us all differently. But good luck to you!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #24  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Update:
I've been taking met and it's drastically slowing my weight loss! In the 2 months of 3000mg/day, my weight loss has gone from between 400gm to 700gm per week to roughly 200-400gm per week. I even went up 400gm this week already (about a pound). My sugar crashes are pretty nasty: I've got to eat every 3-4 hours otherwise I get nauseated. Bathroom problems only exist when it's that TOM- and I've got to be very careful as to what I eat and when.

I'm seriously wondering if I should continue taking this. Any thoughts?
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #25  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

I've always had problems with everything going right through me (my sister calls it dumping syndrome) until I made sure I was getting enough fiber. It seems to help with the met as well. If I start my day with a high fiber cereal, or oatmeal with added flax seed as well as a tablespoon of fibersure in my green tea I usually don't have a problem. Some nauseau on occasion but that's all. Just make sure you increase your fiber gradually so you don't end up with the opposite problem : )
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #26  
~jus' being me~

Only your doctors can help you make the right decision for you with regard to the Met.

My own personal experience . . . I was put on it to help with TOM at a time when my IR was under control after I had lost about 114lbs - ie. I wasnt IR anymore. TOM was still all over the place. I am now off the Met and already this past month I feel better.

I can tell you that I gained 44lbs since starting Met. I cant blame Met for putting the food in my mouth but its an odd coincidence. I have lost 14lbs the past month without any strict "dieting". If this trend continues then I will know that the Met was not for me.

Oh since packing on the weight I am IR again . . .

Last edited by Madison; 08-02-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote