PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I started my weight loss journey in January at 286 lbs. I tried and tried and I was able to lose about 7 lbs between then and April, then April I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was put on Metformin twice a day and have lost an additional 31 lbs since April. I feel like it is helping me, but then again it may be the placebo effect (in regards to the weight loss).
When I first started I did have the tummy troubles but about 4 months later it has calmed down and now I only have the tummy troubles around my two weeks and my TOM.
piperboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 256/244/140

Height: 5'2

So, I have now been on Metformin for about 6 weeks. I'm still have some tummy troubles every once in a while but other than that, I'm pretty use to it. Although, when I do go too long without eating it seems as though my blood sugar crashes....I get disorientated, grumpy, and feel like a want to murder someone and eat their arm! (well only sometimes doe sit get that bad).

But from what I understoof metformin isn't suppose to make your blood sugar drop...is what I am experiencing natural?
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:10 PM   #18  

I have a question about Metformin. I was diagnosed with PCOS on Monday and the doctor prescribed Metformin which puzzled me because I don't have insulin resistance. Is it still normal to take Metformin for PCOS even if I don't have insulin resistance? I do have a weight problem though in that no matter how well or little I eat and how much I exercise, I'm still gaining weight. Is the Metformin suppose to help with that?
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #19  

I have never known anyone without insulin resistance to be given metformin, that does seem odd...I would talk to your doctor about it....have they done a blood-glucose test to rule out insulin resistance?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Raye, do you actually have insulin resistance? (*edit*- look at my post below) If not, metformin is kind of silly to take, in my opinion. I was put on it for weight loss, too, a couple of years ago. I did not change my eating habits at all, so I guess I'm the test case. My first month on it, i lost about five pounds more or less doing nothing. After that, I lost nothing.

It's really not good for your body, and I have a feeling that in a few years, doctors are going to be shaking their heads at the fact that our doctors prescribed this to us.

It's not good for you, I wouldn't recommend continuing unless you definitely are insulin resistant.

Last edited by kelly315; 10-31-2008 at 08:47 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #21  

oh, I just read the post that said you were diagnosed with PCOS/insulin resistance. Did you do a blood sugar test (usually involving drinking a syrup?)
If not, you may just have PCOS. A lot of doctors diagnose them both together, even though many of us with PCOS have no insulin problems.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #22  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I think Metformin is used for fertility, too?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
oh, I just read the post that said you were diagnosed with PCOS/insulin resistance. Did you do a blood sugar test (usually involving drinking a syrup?)
If not, you may just have PCOS. A lot of doctors diagnose them both together, even though many of us with PCOS have no insulin problems.

Yes, I have gone through tons of different tests including the 12 hour fasting blood glucose test. I was part of a PCOS study at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, IL.

I've had hormonal testing, cholesterol testing, IR testing, ultrasounds, blood tests....trust me they were VERY thorough. I got full results (not just "Yes you have insulin resistance"), a medical report that states

"Your 2 hour glucose level is :154mg/dl.
A value less than 140mg/dl is considered normal, between 140 and 199 mg/dl to be indicative of impaired glucose tolerance."

I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone who wants a good-thorough analysis done should see if there is a PCOS study going on in their area.

All of my testing was done for free and I had I have continued on in the study I would be have compensated $4000 for my time...however, in order to continue in the study you have to agree to stop all medications during your part in the study.

I didn't want to get off birth control and I wanted to start treatment as soon as I could, so I dropped out.

In case anyone in the Chicagoland area is interested in the study you can call 800.847.6060 or email the doctors at [email protected]
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #24  

okay, good. Sometimes doctors just give it to women without doing the tests.
In your case, however, it should really help you lose weight (by helping alleviate some of the problems that are blocking your weight loss).
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

I've officially been diagnosed with IR. I started met on Monday. It's only been 4 days, but I think my cravings and hunger are greatly reduced.

I've lost 30 lbs "on my own" in the past 11 months, but I've done that with extreme exercise, 60-90 min of intense exercise a day 5-6 days a week.

I'm hoping that the met helps me lose, especially in my stomach area!
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #26  

I have been on Met since June but lately I've been really bad about taking it. I hate taking those big pills. My goal is to lose this weight and get off the Met and Aldactone completely. I feel the Met my be helping me keep some weight off and I've been having regular cycles since being on it (but that could also be due to some weight loss). Overall, I'm going to try and be good for the next 304 months and take it faithfully, lose nother 60 lbs or so and see if I can get off it.
missqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

I've been part of a research study and on metformin for 9 years. (Research is on diabetes prevention, before the study they wouldn't prescribe it until you officially had diabetes, now they know it helps in prevention.)

Folks in the "medication" group tended to lose about 5 pounds more than the folks in the control group. This was believed to be due to the medication. Metformin makes it more possible to lose if you otherwise change your eating and behaviors, but it doesnt otherwise take off weight.

The study is the Diabetes Prevention Program, and now the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcome Study. I suspect you can look things up about their findings. (Losing weight and exercise was so much more effective than medication that the study was stopped after only four years.)
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #28  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

i lost about 16 pounds since starting on met in late october without making dramatic changes to my workout or diet. i did become more mindful of carb intake but did not aggressively decrease them (i tried, but pizzas and bagels were eaten in moments of weakness). i continued my previously established routine of 3-4 mile runs 1-3 times a week, which had produced no change previously, and actually started seeing some results on the scale (though not in my clothes or on my body yet). because of this i've begun fairly attentive calorie counting to hopefully expedite the process. i've only been in this phase one week, so we'll see how it progresses...

however, on the flip side. the met has absolutely ravaged my stomach. i think i have ibs-d and also have been experiencing some nausea from time to time. unfortunately the ibs-d has begun to mess with my social life, so i'm not sure how to handle this situation.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #29  

I've noticed that many of you have stated that met curbs your cravings. I think I am experiencing the opposite though. I teach Kindergarten and have to leave my house at 530a.m. to get to school on time, so I eat breakfast around 5a.m. We have lunch at 1045 and then I have dinner around 6p.m. or so when my husband gets home from work. I do eat small snacks and I drink about 4-20oz bottles of water during the school day, but at night while I'm cooking dinner or waiting for my husband to get home so we can meet someone for dinner I'm going crazy!!! Is it just because I know that I am about to eat or is my stomach playing games with me?

I have only been taking met a week now and will go to 1000mg on Tuesday so things may change. I figured the quickest way for me to get off the meds is to eat right (watch carbs) walk/run 4 miles a day so this all may be because I am changing my diet too. Right?
kimaleigh612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #30  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm taking 1000 mg of met a day and I think I want to stop because it SEEMS nothing is happening.

I used to wake up almost every morning and vomit from the metformin. I changed the times I take my metformin (one with breakfast and one with lunch, used to be one with lunch then one before bed).

I don't get morning sickness anymore but I don't even know if it's working or not- I guess that's something I'll ask my doctor next time I see her- my coworker said she didn't notice a difference until she got on 2000 mg. She takes the slow release capsules, if my doctor recommends a higher dosage I will ask for slow release as well.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote