PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 310/310/150

Height: 5'7"

Metformin is actually a drug used for diabetes. It is now being used to control Insulin Resistance in women with PCOS. It helps us body use all the excess insulin our body makes. My first doctor put me on it because I wanted to get pregnant with my son..but IR is what is normalizes so that everything can do its job. Might want to talk to ur doc about it.
thepickerills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

So far, what I can tell from my experience with Metformin & weight loss, is that it prevents me from gaining any weight if I'm NOT eating low-carb, and if I do eat low-carb, it accelerates the weight loss. For example, someone mentioned that she had some ice cream and that made her gain a pound or so. That'd be me, too, before I was on Metformin. But now I don't really have to worry too much about that (of course I TRY to avoid stuff like ice cream because I DO want to lose another 20-30 lbs). Metformin isn't a free lunch, but it definitely will work WITH you. I sound like a cheezy infomercial or something, jeez!

Last edited by snoozlebug; 08-27-2008 at 05:05 PM.
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 262/262/145

Hello Everyone
I have a male freind that has been diagnosed with insulin resistance. He has tried everything to lose the weight but to no avail. I just finished reading this bood and am going to talk to him about it. I am hoping it will help him. But I do have a question about Metformin. I have never heard of this before and am wondering if this is just for women or can men take it as well? I feel silly asking but I just want to give him as much information as possible. He is losing hope in ever losing some weight.

Thank you
little pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 186.5/173/130

Height: 5'2"

So I was just curious as to how everyone is doing? Today I reached week 4 and have lost 13 lbs!!! I am so happy! I am starting to be able to fit into littler jeans!! I love it! Hopefully it will just keep on coming off! I hope everyone else is doing well!!
coxfam03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pony View Post
Hello Everyone
I have never heard of this before and am wondering if this is just for women or can men take it as well?
Thank you
Metformin is the most perscribed diabetes/insulin resistance control drug in the world. It's not for everyone, but if he talks to his doctor, it might be an option. Most of my family is diabetic. My mother comes from a family of 11, and I think only one of them doesn't have it. 3 of her brothers are on single doses of Metformin with their main meal.

Hope this helps a bit..

Liz
Lysianassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 310/310/150

Height: 5'7"

I have fell off the train. I am a failure But I am 5 weeks pregnant!!! I am about to start back but be very careful as u are not supposed to diet when you are pregnant. Good luck ladies!
thepickerills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 186.5/173/130

Height: 5'2"

Well you are definately NOT a failure!!!! And Congrats on being pregnant!!!! That is very exciting! You can just pick back up when you are ready! (If you want to) Just enjoy life and being pregnant and just worry about the baby!! Best of luck to you!!
coxfam03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #38  
Liane

S/C/G: 201/190/160

Height: 5'6"

well congratulations on being pregnant!

I have been lurking on this thread for quite awhile...I have getting frustrated with this diet...my scale is not moving and I am stating on week 3. Would love to hear more of your updates!
leenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #39  
BlockHead =)

I've been doing it since Sept 1st. I'm thrilled with the whole concept and amazed at how satisfied I am on much less food. I have so much more energy and far less GI issues. I have Type 2 diabetes and my blood sugar has been much better! I'm probably eating less carbs than I "could" on the plan, but I'm eating the right amount for me to keep my blood sugars closer to the target range, and most importantly I'm linking and balancing them when I do eat them. I have not been a fan of low fat foods in the past, but I've started exploring that avenue as well. I've been having a ball experimenting with different recipes. I've gone off plan intentionally a couple of times but haven't had any massive cravings that made me binge. I've lost 4 pounds since starting the plan. To me this is not a diet, but a new way of eating that will help me control my diabetes and be healthy and lose weight in the process.
jeniansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 256/244/140

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxfam03 View Post
Well I am not happy with my weight loss this week I was doing good. I had lost 2 lbs as of Sunday but then we went and got ice cream as a "reward" (my first since i had started) to me and my family for helping me out. And I just had a very small cup. But that made me gain a lb. And i still hadn't lost it this morning. So I only lost 1 lb this week
Hey everyone, this seems like a decent diet to try, I think I am going to have to go get the book.

I also have a question...how to you all weigh yourselfs? If I decide to weigh myself I do it first thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything (and after I go to the bathroom)...you body can fluxuate (spelling alert) throughout and day and you can weigh apprx 2 more pounds in the evening than in the morning (just all the fluid or food that is still being digested).
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 269/249/150

Height: 5'3

Hello all!

Congratulations on the weightloss! And congrats on the pregnancy, thepickerills!! YAY!!

I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2001 and ignored it until yesterday  My aunt, who basically shares the same genetic make up as me was diagnosed with IR and was put on Metformin. She has been eating healthier (not a stickler though) and is active and has lost 70 lbs since November of 2007! WOW!! She and I had a conversation about her weight loss and she described her IR to me. A lot of the symptoms she had I had! So I went back to my doctor and looked at the diabetic tests that were ran a year ago and sure enough, I was IR too. My doctor prescribed Metformin and I started my first dose this morning. And my she wasn’t lying about the stomach issues! Eep! Though I feel I can grin and bear it and pretty soon I’ll be feeling right as rain, and thinner! I’m going to go to the book store tonight to see if I can find the IR diet book. Wish me luck!!

Oh, Raye, to answer your question. Personally, I weigh myself in the morning before my shower and after going to the bathroom. To me, that’s me at my lightest.  and I weigh every few days or once a week at the same time. I don’t think it makes a HUGE deal WHEN you weigh, as long as you weigh at the same time every day. That way if you fluctuate a few pounds because of water retention or whatever, it’s not too disappointing.. feels more accurate to do it at the same time every day. I’m rambling.. does that make sense?

Question for the board… I roommate with two other women in my house (with our three dogs and four cats, eep!) and we take turns cooking each night. It wouldn’t be hard to incorporate some of the IR stuff, but it might be difficult for one roommate. She cooks like Chili with beans and frito pie, and chicken and dumplings.. homestyle cooking that doesn’t really fit the plan of the IR diet. How do I work my diet around them? Or, should I ask them to be aware of what I can and cant eat and to try to work their dinners around that? Is that fair? How would you do it? Help!!

-Katherynn
kitkatkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #42  

When I went on a lower carb diet this summer, I lost 16 lbs very quickly (like 3 weeks). I have not gained the weight back, even though I let it slip a bit. I plan on getting back on a lower carb diet in the new year.
missqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 365/270/160

Height: 5"11'

Hey guys,

I just wanted to add something. This book sounds a lot like the basic guidelines given by a doctor for diabetic/insulin resistance. I'd love to pick it up cause I'm afraid the whole 15 minutes spent with my doctor isn't enough time to understand everything.
TheTinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #44  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Anyone still here. How are you all doing. Have had so much happen that I am now getting back into the ird.
angelmomma210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #45  

I just found this thread and very interested. I have Insulin Resistance and take Metformin. Can anyone give me an idea of what a sample day of eating would be? I'm going to check the book out at the library before buying.

Thanks, Karen
KarenRB53 is offline   Reply With Quote