PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #136  
I'm FOCUSED man!!!

S/C/G: 273-267-150

Height: 5'6

I will be using this diet as well. Since I was diagnosed I turned into a research machine (I do this with everything - LOL). I found this book 1st thing and what I read I loved. I will only eat complex carbs (they help with the insulin resitance) and cut out simple carbs from my entire diet. Linking protein is a wonderful way to watch those pounds shed away. The key to every diet is portion though. Even though the book says you can eat as much as you want until your full, we still must practice control and not over eat.
D Red757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 298/292.5/180

Height: 5'9"

I'm new to this forum. I just ordered this book. I have PCOS and/or Metabolic Syndrome X and I really need to do an insulin resistance diet. I'm also thinking about joining OA to help with the mental aspect/compulsions.
lessadrianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #138  
I'm FOCUSED man!!!

lessadrianne WELCOME The over eating is my downfall. I swear. But I have committed myself into becoming healthy. Everyone here has been helpful and great and I hope the book helps you as much as it is helping me.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #139  

OMG I love this book. I read it cover to cover as soon as I got it Friday night and have been trying to link and balance this weekend (but wasn't 100% on it). Today is my "official" start and for the first time I'm totally excited about a diet. I just have a feeling that this will finally work for me.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:07 AM   #140  
I'm FOCUSED man!!!

That's so good to hear. I started Monday and cant wait till next Monday to see how I did. I've been doing 6 small meals a day, every 3 hours. It's worked fine. Even with lower carbs I've not had a craving or any type of carb withdrawal. {YAY ME} I hope your start was as good as mine. Here's to next week and the weeks to come.

Last edited by D Red757; 05-20-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #141  

i cheated last night, but I'm really paying for it this morning. I'm sick as a dog.

I'm really happy that I cheated though, because I got sick and it made me realize that I feel better already just by eating healthier. And next time I'm tempted to cheat I'll remember that it never feels good the next morning.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #142  

Hi all - this is my first post on this thread. I haven't read the IR Diet book, but it sounds pretty similar to what I have been doing and what my acupuncturist has been recommending in terms of combining high Glycemic index foods with low glycemic index foods, and trying to eat regularly to not let blood sugar get too low. I've lost about 19 pounds so far. Here's a typical day for me (when I'm staying focused)

morning:
granola (with walnuts and almonds) and organic, low-fat plain yogurt topped with berries or banana slices

snack: 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

lunch: veggie burger (no bun), green salad (w/ tomatoes, shredded carrots, whatever veggies are around), baked sweet potato slices

snack: small apple sliced with a smidge of almond butter, or homemade hummus w/ baby carrots

dinner: 3 oz baked salmon, steamed quinoa w/ garlic, dill, a bit of olive oil, and steamed broccoli or cauliflower.

I'm not sure how this jives with what the book says, but it sounds like it is in the same vein based on previous posts. And, of course, this is a "good" day, not one when I get tempted by my housemates' potato chips in the cupboard, or have some cookies that are being passed around at the staff meeting...

I also walk 1 hour (vigorously) 4-5 times a week and I've started lifting weights 2x a week.
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #143  

So I got a copy of the book at B&N on Sunday and skimmed it. Seems pretty reasonable, although I was surprised at what the book said about limiting aerobic activity - what have others' experience been of that?

I think I've realized I've been doing a decent job of linking, but not of balancing. I meet a friend once a week at Panera and get a skim latte and a scone, thinking, hey, it's a scone, it's not as sugary as most of the other stuff there, and there is protein in the latte, right? So I get on their nutrition page and find all their scones have over 50 grams of carbs, WAY to many to have in one sitting. Going to have to come up with an alternative for my regular Panera trips...

Also, today I had a can of beef and barley soup for lunch, which to me sounded like it would be balanced: beef (protein) and barley (carbs, and whole grain even), right? Well I realized the can had 34 g of carbs and 12 grams of protein. So I only ate about 3/4 of the can, and then had two slices of lunch meat. I think I've been fooling myself by having a plate of pancakes with a smidge of almond butter, or a big bowl of pasta with some grated cheese or 2-3 turkey meatballs.

I'm glad for the book's recommendations since I often look at fat and calories on the labels, but not usually at protein and carbs. Not eating over 30 g of carbs at a meal or a snack feels like a good rule of thumb - not so strict that you can't have any bread, pasta, cereal, rice, etc, but definitely keeping it under control. Weight Watchers brand string cheese sticks have already become my new best friends...
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #144  

Hi Everyone,
Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I hope it is. After finding this thread last week, I started the IR diet today. The book is on order, so I consider this my practice run. I was recently on Atkins for 3 weeks and lost only 1 pound which I gained back with 4 others in less than a week after stopping the diet. I learned that Atkins doesn't work for people with high levels of insulin in their system. Since the IR diet is also lower carb, higher protein, I'm curious as to why it's working for people. Have any of you on the IR diet ever had success with Atkins? If not, is this diet working for you? At the moment just feeling somewhat balanced is my goal, but weight loss would definitely be an added bonus!
callmelaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:28 AM   #145  
I'm FOCUSED man!!!

I don't know about Atkins to be honest. But I have been on the IR Diet for roughly 4 weeks now and I don't think I'll ever go back. The easiest thing for me is having 5 food times a day - Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner. DONE. Linking & Balancing is perfect for me and I can so feel the difference. I cheated about a week ago and had some Cinnamon Danish thingy and I felt it about an hour later. My body wasn't ready for the re introduction of a trillion carbs at once. I felt sick. BUT THATS GREAT!!! Because my body cant take the carbs and now I know to STAY AWAY!! I really have no basis for comparison but maybe my experience could help give you understanding.

Last edited by D Red757; 06-18-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #146  

Anyone still around? I've been back on plan for several weeks now, and I have lost a good amount of weight (15 lbs). It's been so great to feel in control again, and it's REALLY great to have the weight depart! Cravings are gone and my glucose levels are down to a normal level. I'm not diabetic, but was dangerously close!

I hope everyone is doing well and having a great summer!
mommyto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #147  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Do you think we could convince the powers that be at 3FC to add an IR diet forum? I think people might post more regularly. If so, how might we go about that?

I'm in the middle of the book. I'm really agreeing with most of it, but I'm not giving up my cardio. Getting into shape is as important to me as losing weight.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #148  

I am trying to start it again! I have incorporated some parts of it , like the 15 gram snacks but haven't been as strict with the other meals.

I agree. I am pre diabetic and have been told that 30-60 min a day of exercise is good. That's really the only part of the book I don't really agree with.

Last edited by MissGiggles; 07-28-2009 at 12:05 PM.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #149  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGiggles View Post
I am trying to start it again! I have incorporated some parts of it , like the 15 gram snacks but haven't been as strict with the other meals.

I agree. I am pre diabetic and have been told that 30-60 min a day of exercise is good. That's really the only part of the book I don't really agree with.
I did look more closely and saw that they were recommending 10-15 minutes of warm up, 20-25 minutes at your target heart rate, and then 15-20 minutes cool down. Or something similar. And while I am more likely to be up at my target heart rate for 35-40 minutes, that was a little more palatable to me. I'm going to keep exercising the way I have been, and if I'm doing everything "right" and not losing weight, then I'll step down the cardio by 10 minutes at thr.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #150  

Default Add the IR diet to the forum!!

[QUOTE=Eumie;2847818]Do you think we could convince the powers that be at 3FC to add an IR diet forum?

I would be soooo happy if we could do that! I want to know more about this diet. I've tried to start it, switching from calorie counting, but I found I was gaining weight from all the extra protein I was eating. Anyone else have that trouble?
callmelaura is offline   Reply With Quote