PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 02:30 PM   #1  

Question low carb question

Hello,

This question is to anyone who is attempting to low carb as a way to treat some of the symptoms of PCOS. How many carbs are recommended per day? I know that Akins Induction is 20 g per day, but I find that too low. I am trying to put together my own program and am not sure how low is low??

Nancy
Old 02-09-2002, 02:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Smile Oh, what a good choice for me!

I started Atkins on the 20g per day, and gradually increased up to about 80 or so a day. I am losing weight at this limit, by the way. I have got my period again, and I am not taking any meds. I also have less acne, and all my chest hair has fallen out! Ewwwwwww!!!!!!! Also, the hair on my head is staying put and I don't feel hormonal all the time like I used to.

The average American eats over 300 carbs a day, so anything less than that would be considered low carb. I would suggest cutting a few things at a time, make sure you get enough protein, and check out some of the plans available. Then take what you like from each and make your own!

Good luck with this nasty curse.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:36 PM   #3  

Hi Sherry;

Thanks for your response. I tried Atkins but find it very restrictive. I am going to start conting carb grams tomorrow. I am going to try 50-60 gr per day and see how I do with that.

Nancy
Old 02-12-2002, 10:59 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Default Low Glycemic

Hi Nancy, if you have a hard time with Atkins, maybe you should try a low glycemic plan like Sugar Busters or Somersize. They eat carbs, but only ones that don't spike insulin. White bread, potatoes and carrots are out, for example, and whole wheat bread and sweet potatoes are in, if in moderation.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:14 AM   #5  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

GOOD SUGGESTION JENNIFER!!!

NANCY..come on over to you SUGAR BUSTER "corner of the board"
and check us out. We have a wonderful group, and our "FEARLESS LEADER" Debbie is a wealth of knowledge
when it comes to questions..It's a good WOE and I don't think you would be sorry for trying...

Narda
Old 02-21-2002, 02:02 PM   #6  

Nancy my Dr recommended staying under 50 carbs a meal and under 10 grams of fat. Healthy Choice meals all work. I love them. You can also do 2 pieces of toast with thin brummel and brown on them. There are also lots of cereals that qualify if you following their serving suggestions. I have a harder time with dinner at our house though. My husband won't eat fish or chicken so I end up making a lot of beef and then I just eat a very small piece and a lot of vegetables. thank goodness I like vegetables. I also found a sugar free, fat free, carb free salad dressing that I use a lot of for salads and marinades. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:31 PM   #7  

Smile sugar busters

i also have pcos and after trying a million low fat or exchange diets, Sugar Busters is the only one that is working for me. I have lost 10 lbs in a month, my skin looks better, i don't feel hungry, and most important I feel great. I realize that a month is a short time to really judge a Way of Eating..... but this is something I can live with for the rest of my life. The sugar busters board is a wealth of information, it brought me here.
Closed Thread