PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 12:29 PM   #1  

Default Is anyone out there?

Hi....

Does anyone else other then me ever write on this PCOS site?
Old 11-24-2001, 04:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Default I used to write here all the time. . . . .

But, like you, seldom got a response. I have had PCOS ever since puberty, but only known it for 8 years. I managed to get up to 267 pounds, the Dr. said "it may have something to do with PCOS" and that was it. I have the body hair, acne, missed periods or out-of-control periods when they do come, and trouble losing weight. The gist of it is that my body is completely out of whack, due in part to my being overweight my whole life. Now my body is attached to that fat, and it's taking forever to go away!!

Anyway, I was able to lose down to 198 by starving myself, then I got pregnant. I guess the hormones started to even out after that loss. Then, after birth, I got back to 230 before I decided to stop before I got bigger than I've ever been before. The pregnancy didn't help the PCOS, by the way.

Wish you luck, and hope you have success with your weight loss!
Old 12-10-2001, 09:10 AM   #3  

Default Been away a while

Hey Jade

A few month ago I found 3FC. I kind of got away from it for a while and since then I've learned that I have PCOS also. I'm 26 years old, been married for 3 years and am in a point in my life where I would really like to have children. We had been trying for about 9 months when I found out I had PCOS. I weigh about 210 lbs (by the doctors scales anyway, always higher than mine you know). I've tried to learn everything I can about PCOS and the one thing that really hit home with me was the connection with hyperinsulinism. My father became an insulin dependant diabetic when he was 27 and diabetes is very prominent in my mother's side also. I have been trying Glucophage. I tried it once and it gave me some nagging headaches but now I'm trying it again and taking it before I go to bed so that I can sleep off my headache but ideally my doctor would like me to be on 1500 mg a day whereas right now I'm on 500.
I, like you, would love to know what things PCOS patients are trying to get pregnant. After a while, it gets kind of frustrating.
Hang in there.
Sheli
Kansas
Old 12-10-2001, 06:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Getting pregnant!

This may not work for everyone, but it sure surprised the heck out of me! At 20 I was told I had PCOS and no babies without fertility drugs. Well, they put me on a really strong pill (ortho-novum 1-50) and I stayed on it for 2 years. Then, I forgot to get it refilled and thought, what the heck, I can't have babies anyway. One month later guess who's pregnant!!!

Guess that finally got my hormones moving or something. Since I started eating low-carb I have my regular periods again, when they used to last for months or never come for months. I am not on any medication right now, so the diet must be doing it.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2001, 07:30 PM   #5  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Default Tooplump

have you tried Avandia??? Virtually no side effects.

untuil body adhjusted, Gluc should be taken on high carbs. Usually 2 to 3 months. After that, then you can low carb.

GL!
Closed Thread