Old 03-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 178/153/145

Thumbs up Congratulations Morgaine

Why to go. So, how did you lose that much weight so far?

I just signed up at Gold's Gym. I know my biggest hurdle is moving my behind out the door!!

Blessings~Cate
Woodstock Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:50 AM   #32  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I've lost another pound. YEAH! It's not the 2 pounds a week I'd hoped for but it IS happening! So, 10 pounds in total and 6 of those since I started the Beltane Challenge.

I.RAN.FRIDAY.

Like, for no reason at all. I was coming home from having tea with a friend and I just started pushing the buggy faster and faster and next thing you know, I had run all the way home! Well, I slowed to a fast walk a few times to catch my breath but then, I'd say to myself, right at the end of that driveway, you're gonna run again. And I did! And then, after I picked up J from school, he and I ran all the way home (again, doing short bits of fast walking)! He's 6 and I wore him out! Now, it wasn't very far in the grand scheme of things but I bet it was over 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile and before a week or so ago, I couldn't run from one end of the house to the other! My ankles, calves and shins muscles are paying for it but I'm so chuffed! While I was actually running, it felt really good. I think I could learn to love it but I do have to take into accont I have a bad ankle and lower back and running can be really hard on both.

Oh, my chest muscles are hurting too but I'm not sure whether that's from all the upper body work we did the other night in bellydance class or from all the bouncing I did by running without a proper support bra!

All I know is I'm starting to feel really good physically and I can only attribute it to eating clean, exercising more and losing weight. I can't remember the last time I've had so much energy!

I bought some vegetarian mince at the grocery store tonight. I'm gonna use it to make pumpkin chili tomorrow and stuffed peppers some time next week. I've been wanting to try it. I had to tear myself away from the vegetarian section of the grocery because I wanted to try everything! I think I'll just add one new item a week to make sure I like it before I spend a fortune on it. I definitely want to try the veggie burgers and sausages. I'm still trying to get brave enough to use tofu for a stir fry!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #33  

Thumbs up Meeting goals

I think you shoud be really proud of your run. It is those little steps that we build upon to get to our goal. I have dreams that I am running and it is exquisite. The sense of freedom is very overpowering.

In real life, even before I was overweight, I could not attain that feeling. My shins hurt, my throat hurt, I was a mess. So, I opted for walking and yoga.
Lately, I have not done any of that and that is why I am in the shape that I am in at the moment.

I have not had a problem with food, all that much. There are plenty of times when I could make better choices. However, I am not a sweet eater, nor a fast food eater. I often forget to eat for hours in the morning, sometimes not eating until lunch. That, however, coupled with not exercising is the reason that I put on so much weight in the past two years.

Yesterday I officially signed the papers to join Gold's Gym and come Monday morning I will start my exercise program.

Well I am off this morning to visit a Magick shop in another town with a new found friend. I have only been here for a month and half in Woodstock, so I don't know where any of the good bookstores, or shops are. I did find a yarn shop right down the street. I knit, crochet, weave, needlepoint, you name it, I do it, so finding the knit shop was great luck.

I lost a pound and half this week.

Blessings All~Cate
Old 03-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 180/176.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

Thanks Mummy Tummy - I've been doing Atkins since 01/02/06. I'm still on the induction phase of the program. I tried increasing my carbs several times to go into the other phases - but my metabolism is very slow and weight loss grinds to a halt. I just basically eat salads and protein. Not much of a vegetable person - so all my veggies are whatever will go in a salad.
Morgaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #35  

Default Love these positive posts

Greetings Goddesses of Fitness:

I am so glad to see the positive posts. It is very enlightening to read the words of all who are on this forum. I have learned a lot.

I joined Gold's Gym and I worked out this morning for the first time. I know that this is the first step toward fitness.

Mummy Tummy, I wish there was a class near me, I bet it is a lot of fun. Do you burn a lot of calories?

~Cate
Old 03-20-2006, 11:54 PM   #36  
Pending Email Confirmation

Good evening ladies! I'm not doing so great on the challenge yet, I've gained a pound at this week's weigh-in. But I'm glad to hear of your successes and it's keeping me motivated!

Mummy: What is vegatarian mince? I hope you liked it, whatever it is! I like trying new healthy food items too, but I'm only a mediocre cook so sometimes new things don't always work out!

Cate: Wow, I used to live in Woodstock too! I lived there for about 3 years then moved to Tennessee last year, and now I'm back in the Atlanta area (Douglasville, not Woodstock). What a small world! What magick shop do you go to? There's a small cute one in Marietta and, of course, P&D in Sandy Springs is the best. I used to go to the Gold's Gym you belong to (if it's the one near the main street) until I moved. Our personal trainer was David, maybe you've met him if he's still there.

Well, not much time to type tonight, I'll check in later.

Cindy B.
CynthiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:40 AM   #37  
Losing the Weight!

Just an update. I haven't had great news until recently, I started at 187 and I'm down to 182 now. I'm still hoping to be at 167 by Beltane... Congrats to those of you who are doing so well.

Blessed Be.
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #38  
American ex-pat

Greetings, you pagan beauties!

Cate! Congratulations! How was your first workout? You know, it's never even occurred to me to join a gym. I'm not sure why I automatically ruled it out. I didn't even rule it out so much as...I just didn't think of it as an option. I may have to check out the local gyms. There is a leisure center nearby and I keep planning on trying to get some swimming in once or twice a week. I don't much like water (or being in public in a bathing suit) but I know swimming is great exercise for the whole body.

Bellydance is an amazing low-impact workout! Whether you are a serious dancer or doing it for weight loss, it works the whole body and leaves you with that yoga-y type feeling, all gently stretched and worked. Because so many of the moves are about isolating a small group of muscles and just working them, the energy and concentration built up is amazing. Watching someone bellydance, they don't seem to be working all that hard but when you're the one doing it, you can feel it everywhere! Ask around for a local class. Or buy a video and try it at home.

Morgaine, I'm glad Atkins is working so well for you. Do you find it easy to stick to the plan? I'm sure I couldn't follow it because I really need good carbs and feel very sluggish and icky without them. Plus I think I have a mental block about Atkins because of the ketone thing. I had to be hospitalized when I was pregnant because I was so ill that my body had gone into ketosis which was very much a negative thing at the time. I know it works for alot of people and I guess that's the real trick, finding a diet that works for you and that you can stick to. Sonoma and Mediterranean Diet principles are working beautifully for me.

Cynthia, vegetarian mince is a soy-based product that is a veggie substitute for ground meat (beef, chicken or turkey). I had it in pumpkin chili on Sunday (and left-overs on Monday) and I couldn't tell the difference. It has the same texture and eveything as ground meat. I didn't try it plain but I've heard it doesn't have much of a flavor on its own but picks up the flavor of the spices and stuff you add to it. It was a bit more pricey than ground beef but not too much. Definitely still budget-worthy. I'll be using that from now in in place of ground meat.

Stargazer, congrats on losing 5 pounds! That's really great! Have you said what plan you're using, if any?

Oh and Blessed Ostara to everyone (a day late astrologically speaking)!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 180/176.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi Mummy Tummy -

The ketosis thing can be scary (and dangerous) when you are eating a normal diet with a moderate (or high) level of carbohydrates. It sounds liek you may have had a bout with gestational diabetes - yes? When diabetics hit ketosis is is a bad thing - in that case - it's probably called ketoacidosis.

But when low carbers are in ketosis - it's a normal thing. It just shows that ketones are being excreted and you are burning fat. I've been in ketosis for almost 80 solid days and I'm as healthy as can be. No worries there.

Ketosis is one of those areas that folks like to concentrate on to bash the low carb way of life, but it's easily misunderstood. There's a couple of chapters in Atkin's book that explain it - and in the last edition of the book, he actually said that perhaps he should have used the more accurate term of "lipolysis" instead of ketosis as it tended to cause confusion.

Anyway - more than you ever wanted to know about Atkins, eh?

You also said you really needed good carbs...well, that's what Atkins is. I basically cut out sugar and processed flour. Whole grains, wild rice and lots of veggies are a normal way of eating (after you've gone through your weoght loss phases). At first, you get all of your carbs from fresh vegetables, bu later on you can add in other things, fruits, healthy breads, etc...

I'd LOVE to find a place to learn to belly dance here. I think it's so sexy and looks like a fun way of exercising. Of course, DH would be all for spending money on the fantastic clothing that I'd be *required* to buy, LOL!

Have a nice day everyone!
Morgaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #40  
American ex-pat

Thanks for the info! I was borderline gestational diabetic but mainly, because of severe hyperemisis gravidarum (puking alot while pregnant is the literal translaton from the impressive sounding Latin), I ended up malnourished and dehydrated. So that's what I automatically associate with ketosis - feeling dead inside and out, passing out, being hooked to machines, that sort of thing. Your explanation makes sense. Like I said, I know alot of people who have benefited from Atkins and they seem pretty healthy. Certainly healthier than they were before Atkins!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:12 PM   #41  
Losing the Weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy
Stargazer, congrats on losing 5 pounds! That's really great! Have you said what plan you're using, if any?

Oh and Blessed Ostara to everyone (a day late astrologically speaking)!
Nope I forgot to say. I'm doing LA Weight Loss. So far is working well. I'm down 22 pounds total.

Hope everyone had a Blessed Ostara.
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #42  

Question Lawl

Joan:

What's LAWL like? Is it similar to WW, or Nutrisystem? Do you have to check in weekly and buy their products?

~Cate
Old 03-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #43  
American ex-pat

A new week - the same weight. Grrrrr! Still at 164. Although at least I haven't gained. I've eaten well this past week but I know I haven't been drinking enough water. Also, I totally need to step up the exercise. I'm also contemplating a weight loss spell with a pumpkin seed and the waning moon, hehe!

A friend of mine is on holiday in The States and will be bringing me back the Sonoma Diet book so I can start following the actual diet and not just swiping recipes from the Sonoma forum here at 3FC!

Mmmmmm it feels very Spring-y here in the east of England today. It's Mother's Day and my wedding anniversary! What a great day! I'm such a lucky witch. I have the greatest husband in the world.

I think we're gonna head on down to the seafront for some seafood and a bottle of wine (love Sonoma friendly wine drinking!). LOL, maybe even top it it off with a stroll along the seaside and an ice cream. A small ice cream and a looooong walk!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #44  

Default Happy Mother's Day and Happy Anniversary

MM Mummy Tummy:

The Goddess has certainly smiled upon you. Enjoy your wonderful day.

I think that as far as the weight goes, you are most likely very much like me. Your system is too good at preserving your fat stores, in case of starvation.

My metabolism is so slow that I know it is going to take a lot of work to get it burning properly. I have been told the only way to do that is to lift weights, and build the muscle that burns more fat, and then to increase the aerobic activity.

In other words, I need to start doing all those things I haven't been doing for a while. Truth is I have never cared much for that type of activity. I do love walks, but have been told that walking isn't enough. That sure seems to be true based upon my experience.

I wish you much luck reaching your goal, you have been doing great so far.

BB~Cate
Old 04-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #45  
American ex-pat

Two weeks until Beltane - which means we are now into Week 8 of the Challenge. How's everyone doing? I haven't posted but I've been losing. I finally got the Sonoma Doet book and am Day 2 of Wave 1. I am now down to 161!!!!!!! I can't believe how easy this diet /lifestyle change is to stick with.

How's everyone else doing? Still with me? Let's see how much we can lose before we all get the urge to dance skyclad around the Beltane fires!