Old 02-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #16  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
My starting weight was 205 and I'm down to 196!9 pounds in 2 weeks!
Oh that's totally amazing! Yeah! I'm so happy for you!

Yes, I totally agree, water is so important. It's probably the key to weight loss. At least it has been for me.

How's everyone else doing?
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 180/176.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi there! I was 163.5 this Sunday (yesterday) - so I'm 2.5 pounds down.
Morgaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:38 AM   #18  
Losing the Weight!

I had a not so good week last week, I was up 2.5 pounds but today I was down a full pound. Sooo, I'm on my way. 167 by Beltane here I come!
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 16.8/16.5/10.7

I'd like to join this challenge too, I've only just joined this forum and was sooooo surprised and happy to find this section for paganchicks. I started my diet yesterday hoping that the new moon would help me along, but with the idea of not giving up until at least Beltaine.
Jennie
Jenniep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #20  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi ladies! Do you mind if I join in your challenge? I belong to another great support group on 3fc, but I also like checking in with the Paganchicks and this Beltane challenge sounded like exactly what I needed! I like to break up my weight loss goals into little ones, and using the Sabbats as goals is a great idea, really fits in with the Wheel.

I lost 2 pounds last week (my weigh-ins are Saturdays). I'll change my signature soon to keep up with the mini-challenge.

Lisa: You are absolutely correct about the water! I'm so bad about actually taking my own advice, but I know it works.

Talk to you later! - Cindy
CynthiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:11 AM   #21  
American ex-pat

Well, I've made no progress but I haven't gained either. Boring! Actually, I've had a bit of a bad week so I feel that just by not gaining, I've achieved something!

Challenges - Depo! Whether physical or mental reaction to the jab, I began craving any and everything! I had tons of red beans and rice on Tuesday, fish n chips on Friday and 2 bottles of red wine (split 3 ways at least) at a little pizzeria in London last night. Oh, also had a delicious pizza but chose toppings well...artichokes, anchovies, black olives. Finished with splitting a fudge toffee ice cream sundae with my friend, though. Come to think of it, I don't believe we even finished the dessert between the two of us as Seri polished off the last of it!

Victories - Not gaining this week despite falling off the wagon several times! Going back to bellydance classes (which will hopefully be twice a week from now on).

Result - need to seriously push myself this week in the exercise department. Must definitely be better about my eating which should be easier as I have stocked up on healthy snacks and meals.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #22  

I didn't gain or lose last week, either. It's better than gaining, but I'd rather lose! My monthly friend is visiting this week, but I hate using that as an excuse. I am drinking more water this week and I know that will help.

I went grocery shopping on Monday and they say to stay on the outside perimeters of the store, as the stuff in the inner aisles is more processed and not as healthy. Well, I went inside the aisles only for cleaning supplies, so my house is full of healthy stuff. I've been having sweet cravings the last couple of nights, and it's amazing how fruit will satisfy that craving. Fresh pineapple rules! My 18-month-son and I can polish one off in about 15 minutes!

Hope everyone else is doing well on the challenge. When does everyone else weigh in? I weigh on Saturdays.

Cindy B.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #23  
Losing the Weight!

FINALLY! I have good news. 2 pounds gone... bye bye... Only 18 more to go!
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:49 AM   #24  
American ex-pat

I'm totally depressed. I was losing weight with relative ease up until last week. I do understand it comes off easier in the early days but this is ridiculous! Is it coincidence that I had the Depo jab on last Tuesday and that's when the weight got stubborn again? My practice nurse tells me in one breath that weight gain on Depo is only nominal, like 4 pounds. And then the next week she says that if I had any symptoms like pains in my arms or legs or excessive weight gain, I should come off it. Nobody EVER said that to me before I started having the jab! I was at the tail end of my last 3 month cycle when I began to lose weight. I think it was because the Depo was wearing itself out of my system. If I were eating poorly and not exercising, I'd say it was just an excuse I was using but I know how hard I've been working and it's so disheartening to see the scale say the same thing, no matter what I do. I totally feel like giving up because what's the point?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #25  

Mummy: Don't give up! Yes, it comes off faster the first couple of weeks. But you will inevitably hit that stone wall where you think nothing is working no matter what you do. That's where your endurance comes in: you have to keep going, and you'll get back to losing.

Also remember, muscle weighs more than fat so if you're working out and strength training, you will not necessarily always see results on the scale. Lots of people find it helpful to take measurements so they can continue to see results even when the scale isn't budging.

Hang in there! I'm currently at a small plateau as well, but I'm not giving up and neither are you!

Cindy B.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #26  
Lisa

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Mummy Tummy-- I feel your pain. I didn't lose any weight this week either, but much like you, that's a miracle. I admittedly ate horribly this past week and did not work out at all. It was that time of the month and I just can't get myself motivated to do anything during that time, and all i want is chocolate. I haven't started out this week much better. I'm trying to end the week on a good note though. Can't beat yourself up for what happened yesterday, you can only work on today.
oh_surfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:10 AM   #27  
American ex-pat

YEAH! It's a small victory but it's a victory nonetheless. I've finally gotten to 165. I swear to the Goddess I never thought there'd be a day I'd celebrate weighing that but since the last 2 weeks have seen a yo-yo of the same dreaded 2 pounds, never lower than 166, I'm really, really excited to have finally broken the barrier! Since last Sunday I've lost 1.2 pounds. According to my flow chart, I'm behind in my goal by about 1 pound but I think as long as I'm seeing results, even if they're not as spectacular as I'd like, I'm very happy with that.

*pshewwwwww*

Thanks so much for the support. I do know that the healthy habits I'm establishing now are a life change I'm making, not just a diet til I hit my goal weight. I was just feeling down and you guys were there. I appreciate it!

Fuuny thing. I've been battling with this little cake called a Madeleine that they have at the local bakery. Yellow sponge covered in a raspberry coconut icing. Sort of looks like a coconut Zinger only more upscale, if you know what I mean. Normally, I don't have any trouble avoiding the sweets when I go in to buy my bread and Seri's gingerbread man but that little cake has haunted me for months and I kept resisting. Finally, I caved in abd bought one. It was not nearly as dreamy as I thought it would be so at least I don't have to worry about that anymore, hehe.

I've discovered several new favorite snacks. Well, olives have always been a fave but I really love dates and figs! The fig, obviously, tastes just like a Fig Newton but the texture of the actual fruit, as opposed to the biscuit/cookie, is chewier and even a little unpleasant. However, the taste is so nice that I very slowly nibble my through so it's a good snack in that I can't really gobble it down and still feel hungry. Oh yeah, I've been munching on almonds and hazelnuts, too. High in good fats and a recommended snack on the Sonoma/Mediterranean Diet. I try to reach for them instead of the crisps.

Still needing to up my exercise. I didn't go to dance class last week at all. Mondays are just gonna be too rushed to get there at 7:30. So I'll do Thursdays for now but this past Thursday, I just felt like having a snuggly evening at home with hubby. Obviously, I'm still walking which is good but I need to force myself to do more. Hard to motivate myself when at home, you know? Still needing to check the Leisure Center for prices for a pool pass. Not loving the idea of being in a bathing suit in public but swimming is good exercise and I just keep telling myself "but yeah, wait til they see your new figure in a few months".

How's everyone else doing?
Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 178/153/145

Unhappy Beltane Challenge

Great work Mummy Tummy!!

I am going to jump on board for the Beltane Challenge and see how I do. I know how you feel about the weight loss. I weigh more than I ever have and I remember when I was at 163, and crying because I had jumped up past the 150's.

Last night I looked at some photos from a few years ago. I was really depressed. I know that in the majority of the photos, I was about 145. I looked so slim!

Everyone is telling me that the weight I gained this year is because of menopause, and that it is hard to lose that weight. My daughter even said she saw a segment on the news saying the weight put on during menopause will not come off with diet. That one must go to the gym and work out on equipment. I can't afford a gym at this time, and that depresses me so much.

I am going for a walk, and eating salads the rest of the day. I am also avoiding all carbs. Even though I am using the Sonoma diet, I don't think my body will like the cereals, breads, etc.

Hope I can post some success real soon!
Woodstock Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 180/176.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

Just checking in. I've lost 8 pounds on the Beltane challenge so far. 20.5 pounds to go!
Morgaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #30  
American ex-pat

Holy cow, Morgaine! That's really great! What sort of plan are you on? So far, I've lost 6. Maybe by tomorrow (my official weigh-in day) there may be a bit more to report. I've been so ill today that I haven't eaten anything but toast and broth. Wonder if that will go for or against me?