Old 05-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #1  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Religious?

I have been thinking about checking out OA but I have always gotten the impression that it is very religion based. Is that true? I'm not a religious person and feel as though a program based on religion would really turn me off. But I do feel like I need help with my overeating and binging.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #2  

Well it can see "religious", but really the deal is that we have to admit that we are powerless over food (evidenced usually by years of diet/fall off wagon/gain more weight/etc) and that we can not do this alone, we need a power greater than just our "willpower". For some people it is the power of the group, for others it is a god concept. Give it a try. The power of the group of people who are in your position and know exactly what drama you go thru about food can be a huge positive thing. When you are in pain it is hard to reach out, but OA is a very accepting, flexible and loving program.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #3  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

It isn't a religious program, but it can be a spiritual program. The literature talks about finding a power greater than yourself-- a higher power that you can define however you wish. Then, I guess to keep things simple, they use the word God when refering to said "higher power". The "God" word really throws people. A lot of people just call it HP. I've heard people define GOD as Good Orderly Direction--doing the next right thing.

The big thing for me when starting AA years ago and now OA, is that I'm powerless over alcohol & food. The alcohol part is easier. Just don't drink. The food part is more difficult for me. I think I have power over vegetables because I don't binge on them, but that's really playing mindgames with myself.

I have trigger foods (sugar and white flour). I can also binge on non-trigger foods to try and stuff whatever down or fill that void.

So I know I am powerless over these substances. Yet here are these groups of people who have had success with these issues. They tell me that finding a Higher Power and working the 12 steps is what has worked for them. That in and of itself is a power greater than me. So if I want what they have, I'll do what they do. They seem to have a solution that I didn't. Why not try it? What had I to lose?

Then you have the fellowship--the people in the rooms. These people understand where you are at better than anyone else can. In our addictive/binging/purging behavior, we think no one else has done what we have done or could possibly understand. But they can and do.

Obviously, I am a fan of the 12 steps. I've been sober since August 1992 and abstinent since Sept 07. And I'm not a "religious" or church person.

I hope you can connect.
Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #4  

I agree with the other posters. OA is not a religious program, but it is a spiritual one. For what it's worth, I'm an agnostic, yet I've found great results so far. I'm very comfortable with the way that OA approaches the "God" issue.

Do yourself a favor. Try OA out. Keep the parts you like and discard the rest. Most importantly, keep coming back to meetings!
tvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #5  

There's an atheist who attends my weekly OA meetings. She has lost over 200 pounds.
blackcat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #6  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the info everyone. I will have to check out what meetings are available in my area and give it a try, it can't do any harm only help!
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote