Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 02:38 AM   #1  
a work in progress...

Default Thinking of joining OA...

Anyone out there?

I'm desperately looking for help to overcome my addiction...compulsive overeating. It is really out of control at times. I feel like a drug addict or an alcoholic as I stuff food into my mouth that I don't even really want and yet I can't get enough of. HELP!

I'd love to hear any success stories that people have had with OA. It really sounds like what I need. I attended a few meetings years ago, but I was "befriended" by a very pushy, over-eager, I-wanna-be-your-sponsor type and I was not ready for that and did not have the skills then to tell her firmly, but politely, "No thanks, I'm on my own for now, but I appreciate your offer." It got to the point where I stopped going to meetings to avoid her.

Anyway, I hope someone comes across this...

I feel like I'm throwing a message in a bottle into the ocean!
Old 02-12-2002, 10:38 PM   #2  

Kat,
Hey again! I wish I could give you a success story, but I cant. Actually, I'm in the same boat you're in. Being in WW helps me, but there are those times, that I just binge eat, and sometimes I do purge, but not as much as I binge. I guess I realized I had a problem, when I would find myself lieing to others about how much I ate. Its a horrible situation to be in. But just remember, you are NOT alone. And anytime you want to talk, just PM me. -Hugs-
Old 02-13-2002, 03:21 PM   #3  
a work in progress...

Hi friends...

Well, I was all set to attend a meeting today at 12:30...when I came in from work this morning, my son was sick with a sore throat and a barky cough that sounded like croup! (He's 11!) So he stayed home from school and I 'll have to wait til next week!
In the meantime, I'm feeling more in control...I dug out my "Feeding the Hungry Heart" and I'm reading about compulsive eating...It's a good book,,,it helps to deal with the reasons that we do what we do!
So, I'll check back in when I get to that meeting and share my experience! Hang in there!
Old 02-22-2002, 09:32 PM   #4  

Hi Kat,
Might I suggest TOPS? It is a weight loss support organization that has been around since 1958 and encourages you to follow a food plan of your choice (a sensible one!) while attending meetings for support. It costs $20 a year and includes a motivating monthly magazine. You can check it out at: http://www.tops.org You can look for a chapter near you or even join online. Best Wishes!

~Kim
Old 02-23-2002, 06:55 PM   #5  
a work in progress...

Kim,

Thank you so much for the advice! I will check it out. I seem to be in a better frame of mind this week, sticling to my WW plan and losing, so the mood has definitely lifted! Thanks again for the info, I'm off to check out that site now!
Old 02-25-2002, 01:46 PM   #6  
Chocoholic

Talking Hi Kat

Hi, Kat: I overeat too. Trying hard to lose 100 lbs. Was chatting on general support and spk with Mel17, rabbit, & sevrl othrs. Fnd i eat mor when sad or strssd. How bout you
Old 02-25-2002, 04:19 PM   #7  
a work in progress...

Most definitely!

Although, also when I'm bored, lonely, tired...come to think of it, pretty much all the time! Just kidding...kind of! I've been reading a book called "Potatoes, not Prozac" which explains about sugar sensitive people and the body's physiological reasons for overeating. (Sugar sensitivity, low levels of serotonin) It's very interesting and gives a plan to "wean" the body from sugar and tells how, that by eating less of it, you crave it less.

...she could have something there, because I have half a cake sitting on my counter since last night, that a week ago would have been history by now!

We'll see!
Old 02-25-2002, 04:28 PM   #8  
Chocoholic

Angry Sugar sensitive

I undrstnd sugar sensitive. More like chocolate fudge cake and whip crm frsting sensitive. My 69y.o. mom tends to bake more and serve more to me when im on a diet then any other time. I get this wasted look on my face and she heads for the kitchen. Moms cooking and my waistline compete How do I say to from mom.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:48 PM   #9  

Default Jumping right in

I hope it's okay to just jump right in ...........

Im sitting here shaking my head because I know exactly what ya'll are talking about in these posts ( I read from start to finish on this thread).............I too eat like this. It seems the more I eat the quicker I either 1 justify it or 2 eat more. And, I lie about what I eat too. I can hear myself telling my ( very healthy) husband that the "dang dog" ate the cake again........." dang dog got into my sons' cookies" . How pathetic is that............actually eating the kids treats and lieing about it Sad itsnt it?

I've wanted to give OA a try but I think that my pride gets in the way. Well, that and the fact that my mother was and is an active alanon member and I've always viewed her as wallowing in self pity - because of things that happened a lifetime ago. Selfish, yes.........I know but still how I've felt about that group and its phyoslophy. But on the other hand..........I know 100% that I have a huge problem and I really really dont want to be the person who dies from being overweight..........or worse, maybe.............stroke, etc.

Please let me know if someone gives it a "try" . I'm currently in WW but the meetings arent really as such that you can tell these people who need to lose 10 lbs that you scarf down a whole box of little debbies, eat 2 hamburgers, and still dont have any joy out there................they just dont seem to understand.

Well........I've babbled enough.

Hizzie
Old 02-27-2002, 04:01 PM   #10  
Chocoholic

Smile That's not Babble

Hi again. You're right on target as to how I feel about joining OA there are local chapters where I live. I hesitate because of sisters and mom reaction to my joining would undoubtedly make matters worse. They don't understand the issue. I think that is my main fear. Eating is living to me. I eat constantly when I am alone or at home. Can't get enought food. I eat to the point of making myself sick It's like if no one sees me no one will know. But, pple know. I gain and gain. Its like I am possessed. Your contribution is a big help maybe we can help each other. Luckymom1
Old 02-27-2002, 11:51 PM   #11  

Boy, I know how you feel too. Like there's an empty hole that can't be filled even when you eat until it hurts. I think it's a great thing that we can come here and "talk" about it though. I guess it helps a bit to know you're not alone! At my TOPS meeting tonight, we talked about this very thing. The current leader had had a bad week and wondered if anyone ever felt the way she did, eating like there's no tomorrow and hating yourself for doing it knowing all the while what you're doing to yourself Let me tell you, every hand in the room went up. When you're doing this, you feel so isolated and guilty and heaven knows it shows when you overeat. TOPS has a pledge that members recite at each meeting that says it all:

I am an intelligent person.
I will control my emotions and not let my emotions control me.
Every time I am tempted to use food to satisfy my frustrated desires, build up my injured ego, or dull my senses, I will remember: Even though I overeat in private, my excess poundage is there for all the world to see how FOOLISH I have been.

We have to convince ourselves that we DESERVE to be healthy and that we are of worth, even if we have bad relationships, crappy jobs, are deeply in debt and are just plain frustrated! Hard to do, I know. I don't know what I'd do without my TOPS chapter, the boards and my 'net buddies. Well, take care you guys and hang in there!

~Kim
Old 02-28-2002, 08:26 AM   #12  

Thanks Kim!

I read this book once- I cant currently recall the title- but it was about "telling yourself how good you are". I guess I dont have that one down pat. Maybe in time though.

Thanks again yall for posting.
Reading that I'm not the only one out here that faces thsi daily sure helps.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:32 AM   #13  
a work in progress...

Hi again...

I never made it to the meeting...have been sticking to WW but I have discovered an interesting website...www.radiantrecovery.com It's about sugar sensitivity and chemical reactions in the body (in easy to understand terms) and how these affect weight loss or the lack thereof! I'm attempting to cut the sugar in my diet W*A*Y back and have definitely seen a difference in my cravings and bingeing. This, coming from a total cookie monster/ice cream fiend!

It all boils down to this...I need to lose weight. I am the ONLY one who can do that for me. I cannot let what other people say or think or do stop me...I have to do this! I will make no more excuses for myself...I will succeed this time. I hope you will too!

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:59 AM   #14  

Thanks Kat........Cant wait to browse this site. It looks very interesting.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:40 AM   #15  
Chocoholic

Smile Kat

GREAT SITE Briefly browed the site plan on adding it to my favorites list. Have a frnd here at work that is dieting on no sugars and low carbs. She is impressed. Ppl are calling her suzanne sommers. But she is keeping a stiff upper lip. I shared 3fatchicks with her and will share this site as well. Plan on looking into it more later. Got work to do. By the way I pulled a shldr muscle this morn but will go to aerobics tomorrow anyway. Hope it doesn't get worse. Plan on keeping my goals :diet, exercise and walking. Got to go. Bye
Closed Thread