Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #361  

S/C/G: 175/175/120

Height: 5' 0"

Default Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chili Stew

**This is not my recipe, it came from SkinnyTaste.com. Take out the Flour and you've got yourself a great low-carb Stew!**

Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew
Skinnytaste.com

Servings: 6 • Serving Size: little over 3/4 cup • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 6 pts Calories: 253 • Fat: 9 g • Carbs: 5.5 g • Fiber: 0.5 g • Protein: 33 g • Sugar: 1.5 g Sodium: 836 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

2 lbs* boneless pork loin roast, lean, all fat trimmed off
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray
2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour

3/4 cup diced onion
2 cans (4.25 oz each) whole green chiles, sliced into thick rounds
2 tbsp chopped jalapeρo, or more to taste

10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Ro*Tel Mild)

1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth

1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder

salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Cut pork into 2-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat a large non-stick skillet on high heat; when hot lightly spray the pan with oil and brown the pork over medium heat on all sides, about 3 - 4 minutes total. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of flour over pork and stir to cook 30 seconds, sprinkle remaining flour over pork and cook an additional 30 seconds.

Add browned pork to the crock pot, along with the remaining ingredients.

Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 houts (if using a Dutch oven, cook on low heat for 3-4 hours). When done, adjust season, salt and pepper to taste if needed.

Makes about 5 cups.

*Weight after all fat is trimmed.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #362  

Default Slow Cooker Turkey Chili

**I took the base of that Pork and Green Cilie stew and came up with this recipe**

Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
salt, very little as canned beans have alot of sodium
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. cumin
4 tbsp. chili powder
1 cup diced onion
2 tbsp. fresh diced jalapeno pepper, NO SEEDS
1 can (4.25 oz each) whole green chiles, sliced into thick rounds
10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Ro*Tel Mild)

1 can fat-free low-sodium chicken broth

1 can 29oz. pinto beans, drained but not rinsed
1 can 14oz. kidney beans, drained but not rinsed
1 can 14oz. black beans, drained but not rinsed

Directions:

Brown the turkey and drain any liquids. Add the chopped onions and jalapeno and cook to just transluscent. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder. Stir and cook for 1 minute more.

Add mix to slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 6-8 hours. Enjoy!

NOTE: This MAY be too spicey for some.. adjust the fresh jalapeno as needed.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #363  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Pamela, questions are good!

1. I do not count calories at all, and Tim Ferris does not advocate counting calories. However, he does advocate eating lean, and if possible, organic meats. So if you want to follow his advice on that, look for the leanest and if possible organic beef jerky. Oh wait! I have to edit this! Tim Ferriss' Slow Carb Diet does not allow beef jerky. But since I eat any meats I want, I would allow beef jerky on my modified version.

2. The longer lists of foods you found were created by people who have made modifications to Tim Ferriss' Slow Carb Diet. His diet doesn't allow ANY potatoes, including sweet potatoes or yams. The people who have added them did so because they seem to be able to eat them without a problem. For others, potatoes of any kind cause a rush of insulin and are a trigger for cravings. You could give it a try! I personally do not allow any potatoes. I know they are a trigger for me. Carrots are allowed but in moderation because they have a higher natural sugar content than other veggies.

3. Beans are allowed. Cheese is not allowed on Tim Ferriss' Slow Carb Diet. Rennie and I have created modifications to allow for a little sprinkle of shredded cheese occasionally. If you feel strongly about wanting to allow cheese, then give it try. If it triggers you to want to eat more (of any foods), then you should avoid it. If it doesn't, then keep it.

About fat-free or low-fat items, I avoid them. Full fat is not our enemy and full fat is not what makes us fat (despite what the low-fat industry promoted for years). Carbs are our enemy (so to speak), and when companies take the fat out of those products, they add in sugar and carbs. Sugar and carbs are the very things we need to avoid.

Sugar-free jello is allowed! I always forget about that, lol!

Your pork/turkey and green chili recipes sound amazing!! (And yes, leave out the flour, lol!)

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-12-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #364  

Gary, yay on the 2-lb drop!!!

Dt, hey, less than 2 lbs! That's not bad for a cheat day at all! Stay on plan and that water weight from the extra carbs will be gone before you know it!

Rennie, I wouldn't be surprised if you could come off meds! One of my brothers is a type 2 diabetic and his A1C is always amazing and he doesn't have to take meds. He controls it through healthy eating!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #365  

I just found a great website for asking what foods are allowed on Tim Ferriss' Four-Hour Body Slow Carb Diet: http://www.eslowcarbdiet.com/. Just type the food in the blank at the top where it says, "Can I have _____ on the slow carb diet?" Hit enter, give it a second, and underneath that question to the right, it will give you your answer! I hope it doesn't allow only a certain number of searches, because I see they are trying to sell a beginner's guide and food list book. (That's how I found out beef jerky wasn't allowed on the book diet, lol!)

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-12-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #366  

Ok.. no sweet potatoes or yams.. unless on a cheat day

Wonderful.. then I think I by George I got it!

Does this group have a Facebook page? I've seen just a few Slow Carb Diet facebook pages, but not much posting there..

Pamela
Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #367  

@jacquid you responded to my introduction post yesterday telling me I may be carb-sensitive. Well, I read your advice and starting following the slow-carb diet today, and let me tell you...after all day, I feel 100% better. I experienced no cravings, no binges, and my mood was fantastic all day. WOW...can't wait to see what the next few weeks bring. Thanks so much for the info you provided me!!!!! It may just be my lifesaver; I sure don't want to get type 2 diabetes.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #368  

Hi Halee! Oh, I am so glad I was able to help! Please feel free to join us on this thread, where you can post your progress. You said you were chatty, lol, and so are we! And I know how you feel about finding a diet that may finally work for you. It does feel like a lifesaver! Rennie on here is already fighting type 2 diabetes, but with this diet, she may be able to get it back under control, and although I do not have diabetes, I have no doubt I was headed in that direction. So I am very thankful to have discovered the information I told you about in your intro thread and I'm thrilled to have found the Slow Carb Diet. I hope this diet continues to be easy for you, just as it has been for me! Glad to see you here!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-12-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #369  

Pamela, yay! I'm glad you have it! And do you mean does 3FC have a Facebook page? Or are you asking if our little Slow Carb thread group here has a FB page? I don't know if 3FC does. Our group definitely doesn't. I haven't been on FB in so long, I'm not sure I remember my password, lol!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #370  
Gary C

Week 2 of 4
1/08 ~ 177.0 (1200cal)
1/09 ~ 176.6 (1000cal)
1/10 ~ 175.8 (1000cal)
1/11 ~ 175.8 (1300cal)
1/12 ~ 173.8 (1000cal)
1/13 ~ 173.0
1/14~
Results Week 01~ -8lbs
Jan 1st> 184.8
Goal > 165
Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #371  

Good morning everyone... Question.. what about sweetners? I use SweetNLow.. is this ok? I drink maybe 1-2 regular tea drinks a day, hardly any diet soda and if I do, it's only half of one or if we eat out, almost all of that..

Last edited by pamela631; 01-13-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #372  

Yay! Back down a lb! Hopefully, tomorrow will bring my pre-cheat day ticker weight back! C'mon Whoosh Fairy!

Week 26:
1/11: 170 Cheat Day
1/12: 171.5
1/13: 170.5
1/14:
1/15:
1/16:
1/17:

Today's Meals:
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, a teapot of green tea, Mio water
Lunch: tuna salad, cottage cheese, Mio water
Snack: a handful of mixed nuts, Diet Dr. Pepper
Dinner: rotisserie chicken, broccoli-cauliflower salad, a teapot of green tea, Mio water

Gary, you are on fire! Great job!

Pamela, although the website I linked above says no to artificial sweeteners, Tim Ferriss allows sugar-free jello, which is sweetened with an artificial sweetener, and he allows 16 oz of diet soda a day, which is also sweetened with artificial sweetener, so to say it's not allowed makes no sense. It's definitely a part of my diet. I drink green tea everyday sweetened with Splenda.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-14-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #373  
Gary C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela631 View Post
Good morning everyone... Question.. what about sweetners? I use SweetNLow.. is this ok? I drink maybe 1-2 regular tea drinks a day, hardly any diet soda and if I do, it's only half of one or if we eat out, almost all of that..
It is all about calories in calories out, tailor it to what satisfies your hunger need's so you dont over eat.

Sugars, "white's" are full of calories and not much else, "Hollow calories", do what you need to have long term success on a diet, only you know what that is, everyone in here has tailored it to meet there needs.

the closer you can stick to eating lean meats veggies, good nuts, oil's the less spike's you will have in hungar and be able to be full on less and lose weight. calories in calories out

The book has basic two quick read chapters on his diet plan, you can also read tim ferris blog on the diet also.

all diets have a common theme eat healthy, eat your veggies.

I remember a story awhile back i saw on CNN a guy lost weight by only eating twinkee's. restrict calories lose weight, eat to many gain weight

Last edited by gfc781; 01-13-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #374  

S/C/G: 425.6/366.6/220

Height: 6'2

I had a hard time recovering from cheat day so it turned into back to back cheat days. And well um, I am back on plan today. And today I am 392.2 . I will post the full details later when I am not as busy at work. Thanks all
Old 01-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #375  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Pamela I like s/f jello also, I keep forgetting to buy it Your chili recipes sound really good. I love spicy but my youngest daughter and my husband like chili too and they can't take the heat. Only my oldest son and he hates beans go figure I use Spenda (Great Value brand) in my green tea and I have cut out the soda totally for now. But when I did it was a Pepsi Max or a Coke Zero.

Jacqui that would an honest joy to me, to not take any medication whew I'd shout Nice weigh in Jacqui you'll be back in the 160's tomorrow. I'm still hoping to catch you

halee, and to the thread. I hope you continue to check back with us. We'd love to have you join us on this journey And goodness NO do all you can to prevent becoming a type 2

Gary good job on the .8 down Gary that's weird eating twinkies and losing weight, I thought they stayed in your system awhile at least that's what they said in the 70's I use to love them.

dt, I've had back to back cheat days before, glad you're back on plan

New low this morning 172.2 only .2 down from yesterday but still a new low so I will take it

I don't think I like the lentils, maybe I didn't do something right. I cooked them according to package directions and they are DRY. I don't like dry. I thought about adding some chili powder and onion what do you all think? Suggestions please. I don't want to throw them out. I made the entire bag (they didn't cost much but still) I don't want to be wasteful.
Closed Thread