3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Other Reduced Carb Diets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets-227/)
-   -   eating low-carb/high-fat without following any "named" plan--thread #2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets/258555-eating-low-carb-high-fat-without-following-any-named-plan-thread-2-a.html)

pattygirl63 11-19-2012 06:18 PM

Georgia Thanks for sharing what you've read. I have Dr. Bernstein's book too. I guess I did good with my last A1c test a few weeks ago. DH and I had been eating loads of candy the three months before. So I guess we good a good reading. I get it redone in February.

RadioJane and Rhonda :wave:

geoblewis 11-20-2012 03:22 PM

Okay, I think this is the end of the line on reading for me! My head is swimming with info. I have been trying to simplify it all to achieve a good ketogenic ratio, and then I ran across an excel form someone set up on Dr. B's forum. I am going to assume they are doing it right. No one on the forum has complained about it...yet.

If you're interested in the formula: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwbrfnS9S6miSkJJc2FqV1hnUmc

To download it, select File, then Download to save to your computer. Input your calorie goal into one of the green cells and press Enter. It'll calculate your nutrient levels for you.

I'm shooting for very moderate weight loss or maintenance through the holiday season. I really want to achieve proper ketosis. My Ketosix arrived yesterday and I'm set! I set my calorie goal for 1990, so carbs are ar 20 gm net, protein is 75 gm and fat is 179 gm. I've NEVER eaten that much fat before! I think I'll be supplementing fats with a lot of hot tea with coconut cream and heavy cream.

I have been overeating protein for some time, thinking that was the key to finding satiety and getting into ketosis. The reading is telling me I was all wrong! And also not doing myself a favor because overeating protein can lead to calcium loss in the bones. Yipes! I can't afford that!

I'll keep posting my progress here.

Current weight: 301 lbs

Daily goals: 1990 calories, 20 gm net carbs, 75 gm protein, 179 gm fat
Exercise: 1 hour Pilates daily, 20 minutes indoor rowing or 1 hour walking daily, 1 full-body weight training workout/week (maintenance)
Sleep: 8 to 9 hours a night
Intermittent fasting: 12-hour cycles, lowest carbs at breakfast, done eating by 5 (That's going to be the toughest thing to achieve!)

Hoping to achieve 1 lb fat loss/week while maintaining muscle.

I hope this is it for me! I'm tired of looking for answers.

pattygirl63 11-20-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

I have been overeating protein for some time, thinking that was the key to finding satiety and getting into ketosis. The reading is telling me I was all wrong! And also not doing myself a favor because overeating protein can lead to calcium loss in the bones. Yipes! I can't afford that!
Georgia Thanks for sharing this. I guess I thought the same thing and I've been doing the same thing. I hope my book gets here soon. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

pattygirl63 11-21-2012 01:59 PM

Got my book now to find time to read.:o Will do a little at a time today and tomorrow and then get with it Friday.

Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

pattygirl63 11-22-2012 08:14 PM

I'm still in Chapter 1, I read and sometimes have to read some of it over. So much to grasp. However, I have to say that I've read enough to see that my deceased hubby may have been diabetic although the doctor's always said his bs was normal. He used to have black out and one time his body shut down to a point that he seemed to be hanging on by a thread. The EMT said his body was doing what it had to do to keep him alive and supply oxygen to the vital organs. I had doctors ask me if he had ever been diabetic, but of course I had to say no that he never had been told that he was. Now I'm wondering if he was. He lived on coffee with sugar and cream. This book has some really vital info.

I also wonder about this DH whose muscles ache all the time. He has been diagnosed diabetic which really surprised him because he doesn't know of anyone in his family background who was ever diabetic. I'm wondering how much of his joint and muscle problems are the diabetes. I get the idea that the doctors have no answers because they haven't studied things enough to know what the problem really is. Hopefully, I'll know more as I read more in the book.

I ate what I wanted for Thanksgiving, but no more than what I had planned to eat. I'm through and don't care to eat another bite of food. I will have to eat something around 9 or 10 to take my Metformin, but it won't be much. May be just an Atkins shake.

pattygirl63 11-25-2012 12:17 PM

I believe from what I've read so far in this book that low carb and low calorie are extremely important for diabetes. So I'm going to be experimenting throughout the holidays counting both calories and carbs. It will probably more of a personal way of doing both but I think between now and January 2 will be a very good way to start to see if it is a good thing or not. Also it wi ll be interesting to see how bloodwork changes between now and February when I go back to the doctor. Oh, I am going to be using "good" fats like coconut oil and olive oil since I think that fat is extremely important too. I think fat free is too low and dangerous and makes us hungry, but still not extremely high is very good for you either so I lean more toward a low calorie/lowfat/low carb way of eating.

Georgia Are you still with me here?:)

geoblewis 11-25-2012 02:33 PM

I'm here, Trish! Stayed off the computer over the holiday, but now I'm back and ready to burn off these potatoes! (Really didn't eat that many, but enough to make me feel bloated and to gain a pound!)

Got my Ketostix, got my macronutrients figured out, and the kitchen is about to get scoured so I won't want to go in and fuss over it. I want to be out of the 290s by the end of the year.

Trish, I was both saddened and angered when reading about your late husband's passing. It makes me want to go to my doctors and ask him A LOT of questions about his philosophy about detecting and treating diabetes. I want someone I trust watching my back. :hug:

pattygirl63 11-25-2012 04:36 PM

Georgia I understand how you feel. I felt the same way when I read things in this book and wondered even about my present condition. It seems that blood sugar seems to affect so many physical problems we experience. And diet seems to be where we start to correct them. I saw a book or something that said "What your doctor doesn't want you to know". I don't think it is the true that they don't want us to know, I personally think "they just don't know" because they know nothing or very little about nutrition. I've heard that in the 7 years they go to school, they only get one class on nutrition. Don't know if that's changed or not. However, Tony's DD got only one 5 weel class on nutrition and that was mostly on drugs and vitamins in nursing school.

I am so thankful that you found this book. I've learned so much. I've learned that I probably never gave low carb diets long enough to work for me. I also learned why my favorite diet "The Carbohydrate Addict's" doesn't work for me any more and as much as I love it. I used it to lose about 70+ lbs years ago, but it probably never will work for me again, because I can't eat all my carby foods in the one hour RM like I did back then. I need to spread them out throughout the day or I can't function because I go overboard and end up tired and sleepy. Thanks to the books research explanations, I not only understand this, but I also realize why there are times I never could drink alcohol and that I probably have suffered from this since I was 17 yrs old, but doctors didn't know how to help me. They even said they didn't know what was wrong with me.

I don't want to cut my carbs all the way back to Atkins 20 grams unless I have to. So I'm going to not only count the calories, I'm going to try to keep my carbs at 110 or less each day.

I've been sharing what I'm learning with my daughter. She and her hubby are diabetic. He is diabetic on dialysis and she is pre-diabetic. His doc is about to become her doc and he told them that you can reverse diabetes. Sure hope he's right... if so I plan to reverse mine and hopefully they will too.

You know what is interesting... Last year my doc said to me "we doctors don't say it much, but there were some studies done a few years ago that proved that any diet will work. You just have to learn which one you can live with". When I went to him last month, I told him I had really struggled but I had decided that I was going to count calories so I could have whatever I want... just eat it within my allotted calories. Then he began to share with me a website he used to count his calories. The interesting thing about our conversation is that things he has told me is much like what I've been reading in the book. I wonder if the studies he mentioned are the same research studies she mentions. He is so good to take time to talk to me about my diet help me.

I'm glad you are here for us to take this journey together.

Have a good evening.

pattygirl63 11-28-2012 11:21 PM

Things going well so far. I've actually dropped a lb. so far this week. Slow I know but at least I lost.

geoblewis 11-29-2012 12:04 PM

I'm doing well too, Trish :). My period showed up after a two-month hiatus. It was a total surprise because I wasn't experiencing any carb cravings or edginess before, no bloating and no weight gain. I lost a pound too! :carrot: We take what we can get, right?

Started doing something in the mornings called bulletproof coffee. A cup of organic Arabica coffee grown in really high altitude regions, adding organic grass-fed heavy cream and taking three organic coconut oil capsules with it. The higher fats help me manage morning hunger and gets my blood sugar coming down (I have high blood sugar in the mornings). It's been helping me push back my eating window which helps me eat less during the day. And it helps add fats to my ketogenic proportions. I haven't had problems with cutting carbs, but I still overeat protein, especially late in the day, so I'm hoping the added fats will help me cut that back. Because that helps control my morning blood sugar levels too.

So this morning, I cup of bulletproof coffee and a slice of beef bacon within half an hour of waking up. Looking forward to a nice chicken meatball and minestrone soup for an early lunch, almonds and cheese before Pilates this afternoon and crab cakes and spinach salad for dinner. The struggle will be not to get nibbly after dinner!

Have a great day!

geoblewis 12-10-2012 06:28 PM

Hey Trish, are you still with me here?

Just checking in. I've been busy with work and some fun over the weekend. But all the right fun, because I'm down to 293 as of this morning.

I'm not saying I've been perfect on my plan, but I'm staying the course most of the time. Weight loss is still slow, but in the right direction. Getting good sleep and managing stress seem to help me the most with staying on track with my choices.

Take care!

Enjah 01-09-2013 12:39 PM

hi everyone,

I eat Low Carb High Fat (LCHF), and have lost 43 pounds in the past year. I am a member of Weight Watchers because the meetings and weigh-ins give me accountability. Today I achieved Lifetime Membership status! I am actually below my goal weight. I can change my goal next week, and play it by ear until I find a weight that feels right to me. I am SO THRILLED!

deetermined2 01-12-2013 07:10 PM

Congrats, Enjah!

That's wonderful!!

1961tracy 02-02-2013 05:51 PM

Thanks

Great idea for a post. I am combining a few of the diets out there. I am starting off with Dukan, primarily to get a quick start and get used to living w/o carbs. In the past I have done well with low carb diets, but I didn't have an idea of how much I could add to my diet. I have copies of both the Metabolism Miracle and Protein Power and I think both will help. Then I will take more guidance from other diet plans such as Atkins and South Beach. Of course trial and error is always good to see what really works. I'll be checking back.

Rocky Horror 03-05-2013 01:44 PM

Hi all! I've tried low-carb/high fat diet plans before, but they haven't worked well for me and I think it's because I jumped into very low net carbs without easing myself into it. My blood sugar went haywire!
Does anyone have any advice for transitioning into a low-carb lifestyle?