3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Other Reduced Carb Diets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets-227/)
-   -   eating low-carb/high-fat without following any "named" plan--thread #2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets/258555-eating-low-carb-high-fat-without-following-any-named-plan-thread-2-a.html)

AJBMW 05-22-2012 09:31 AM

Just a quick check in, I've been too lazy lately to post or do much of anything. I am stuck at my 20 lbs lost I just keep bouncing up a lb or two an then down a lb or two. Very discouraging. Calories are between 1300 and 1500 so I really should be losing. I hate this part. Oh well got to keep plugging away. On the other hand my blood sugar numbers are better than they have been in a long time and no dangerous Actos. :)

LLV 05-22-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4myloves (Post 4332937)
OMG! Time to own up to how I've been eating lately (AND NOT exercising at all!). I've done this before, but now it's SO out of control!!!

I've not been changing my ticker, because, basically, I've been in denial. I keep thinking, oh, it's only 8....10.....14 lbs.....I can lose that back in two-three weeks. I've done that so long now that I'm up TWENTY lbs!!! I have to change my tracker from a 36 lb. loss to a 25 lb. loss. That's ELEVEN lbs. since I've been justifying these "small" gains to myself!!

My problem is this: I do so well through the week, when I'm at work, and then on the week-ends everything blows up out of control! I graze from boredom and eat EVERYTHING in sight!!

I can lose 5 lbs. from Monday through Friday and then gain every bit of it back over Saturday & Sunday.

I HAVE TO GET OVER THIS AND GET BACK ON TRACK!!!!!!

I've been doing the same thing. During the week I'm soooo good and eat healthy foods, keeping my carbs between 50 and 70. Then the weekend comes around and the whole week takes a complete nosedive. I've GOT to start treating the weekends like weekdays. The problem is getting into that mindset.

LBBUGS13 05-25-2012 01:48 AM

Hi all,

Quick check in, finally the end of the week, been doing good with the exercise and with the leader of our class out for two weeks and then my vacation starting next thursday for two and half weeks, I realized it is up to me to keep up with the exercise. Did manage to lose what I gained from the graduation weekend, plus down another three. Just been trying to balance everything out.

Well off to bed I have an early date with the treadmill & kettle bells in the early AM before work, it will be worth it to have the exercise knocked out early tomorrow

Lisa

LBBUGS13 06-02-2012 05:47 PM

Hi,

Checking from vacation in NOT too sunny San Diego. It looks like our weather, minus the rain and a little warmer, but overcast. Hopefully it will burn off some days, doesn't look like it today.

Plan is to try to be good eating and exercising. Walked around the resort and took about a 40 minute walk to get lunch. We are staying at the hotel Del Coronado. We are on the 3rd floor in the main hotel this week, so I have been taking the stairs up and down to the room and will continue that, plus walking on the beach in the sand. I even hauled two of the 8 KG kettle bells down with me in the car so I could keep that up. Plus I promised my kettle bell buddy that I would check in everyday and she will report me to our trainer! Hard part will be resting chips, salsa, coronas! I did split an order with my hubby last night, but we walked 40 minutes to get them and I am good now ... no more!

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Lisa

rho1640 06-04-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBBUGS13 (Post 4356766)
Hi,

Checking from vacation in NOT too sunny San Diego. It looks like our weather, minus the rain and a little warmer, but overcast. Hopefully it will burn off some days, doesn't look like it today.

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Lisa

Just checking in to see how the vacation is going? Have a ball!

shareli 06-05-2012 07:23 AM

Hi guys. I'm still here. I haven't been losing for a while, and I guess I got a little discouraged because I haven't been as diligent on plan the past 3-4 weeks. However, I'm now ready to tackle the next 5 pounds, which I hope to lose by the end of the month.

I'm trying to mix things up a bit to see if it helps. I'm going to try very low carb, similar to Atkins induction, for 2-3 days a week, then low glycemic, for
2-3 days, and then ease up a bit on Sunday. I'll keep you posted.

Sharon

LBBUGS13 06-09-2012 09:40 PM

Hi all,

Still on vacation. I am doing OK eating wise, lots of salads and when I have something that is not OP, I am not stressing over it too much. They do like to serve lots of chips, salsa & guacomole here. I need to get in another kettle bell workout, but with the planned excursions and social functions at the convention this past week, I only got two in. It is better than none. I am getting in lots of walking and I should be able to get in a kettle bell workout on monday, tomorrow I plan on taking a long walk on the beach. Hubby is in meetings during the day, the convention is over and I should have lots more time for me next week. :cool:

Lisa

rho1640 06-10-2012 10:05 AM

Sharon remember this is a journey and sometimes we deviate from the laid out course - you are back and that's what's important :D

Lisa it sounds like you are having a super vacation and in a beautiful place too.

I had a great month of losses last month so I've been playing with 2 lbs since the first of the month - I know it's normal for me to have this happen but I have to admit that I was thrilled to see the scale moving down again - why when this happens the 2 lbs is higher than the lowest I have no idea but I'm almost back to my lowest and should be on my way lower this week yay... I so want to be in onederland when I go back to the doctor the end of July.

bettyboop56 09-18-2012 12:04 PM

week-ends the worst

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4myloves (Post 4341480)
Sigh.

Did my usual, "good through the week, BAD on the week-end" jive.

Gotta get over that!

I see I'm not alone with the week-end eating, my DH loves going out on the week-ends and i love the bread bowls. Dang I have to stop this, oh well maybe I will be stronger:?: this week-end

geoblewis 11-04-2012 04:08 PM

Can I play along too?

I don't like to follow diets. It seems the moment I try to restrict myself to a list, I start breaking rules. That being said, I get positive results from the very-low-carb eating (like the ketogenic diet), mostly-Paleo eating and modified intermittent fasting to help control calories.

I experience diet failure often. Like today, I've got a head cold and I just want comfort food. Had two slices of home-baked sprouted wheat bread with butter, in addition to all the other super-low-carb food I ate. Brothy soups mostly, soft scrambled eggs. I want to snack on some cheese now, some creamy soft blue cheese.

I figure as long as my refrigerator is loaded with the stuff I want to stick to, then I don't really need to follow I "diet". I don't like to meal plan at all! I buy what's in season and cook from what I have on hand.

pattygirl63 11-19-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoblewis (Post 4518794)
Can I play along too?

I don't like to follow diets. It seems the moment I try to restrict myself to a list, I start breaking rules. That being said, I get positive results from the very-low-carb eating (like the ketogenic diet), mostly-Paleo eating and modified intermittent fasting to help control calories.

I experience diet failure often. Like today, I've got a head cold and I just want comfort food. Had two slices of home-baked sprouted wheat bread with butter, in addition to all the other super-low-carb food I ate. Brothy soups mostly, soft scrambled eggs. I want to snack on some cheese now, some creamy soft blue cheese.

I figure as long as my refrigerator is loaded with the stuff I want to stick to, then I don't really need to follow I "diet". I don't like to meal plan at all! I buy what's in season and cook from what I have on hand.

Georgia Hi, I am the same. Maybe we could do this together. I like the Intuitive Eating idea of eating only when hungry and stop when satisfied. I just found this thread and I think it would be great to report here. I ordered the book Diet 101 you wrote about on another thread and think low carb is the way to get control of diabetes. Haven't got my book yet, but I read some on her website and I think low carb is the only way to get the results we want. I'll hang around here if you will.

My plan for the holidays is to eat very low carb up to T-day and take that day off and get right back to very low carb the day after. Then low carb until Christmas Day and take off just that day. Will have a church Christmas Party one time during December and will make just that meal an off meal. I have the plan now just to follow.

Radiojane 11-19-2012 10:18 AM

this is pretty much what I'm doing. I've stolen parts I like from a whole bunch of different diets. I try to stay at Atkins induction level carbs, I'm staying gluten free, and I aim for paleo/primal but I allow dairy and I do cheat. I monitor my calories, but low carb seems to be the hinge for me, if I go to high on the carbs then I stall out.

I'm trying sooooo hard to stay on plan until Christmas!!! It seems like since I've started there's been one weekend a month where there was something going on that took me off plan, and I'd lose an entire week's progress!

geoblewis 11-19-2012 03:35 PM

I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and The New Atkins Diet, then Blood Sugar 101 and Diet 101, then The Ketogenic Diet, and most recently The Diet Cure. I think I'm tired of reading!

But to eat in support of saving my pancreas is most important, so low-carb is it for me. One thing I just read in Diet 101 was to eat normally (as in higher carbs) for a couple weeks before going in for blood tests to check A1c because then the doctor will see the real picture and prescribe insulin or other meds as needed. And then, go back to eating the low carb diet because no matter what meds are used to deal with blood sugar issues, they can only do just so much.

Then I was reading in The Ketogenic Diet about how much glycogen and water our bodies store. We know that the induction stage of Atkins has us dumping glycogen and water. During the first two weeks, that all come from our liver at first, and then slowly comes out of our muscles. For thinner people, that can be up to 7 lbs, but for bigger people, up to 20 lbs. And we haven't even started losing fat at that point. That's why the induction phase isn't so much about limiting calories. But when the stored glycogen and water have been eliminated, the weight loss slows down because we're down to the actual fat-burning stage. And that's when we have to start dropping calories. The low-carb keeps us in ketosis and the deficit eating moves the fat-loss along. And slipping up by eating carbs results in big weight gain, even though it's only water and glycogen.

So much information to work through. I feel like I have to put together a spreadsheet to get it all figured out. But in the meantime, keep the carbs low (except for the Kentucky bourbon pecan pie I'm having Thursday)(and the glazed walnut pumpkin pie for breakfast Friday morning)(and eggnog cheesecake for Christmas)(and I forgot about the tamales!)

Dang Holidaze!!! Maybe I'll go get my A1c checked in January.

Rhonda Marie 11-19-2012 03:47 PM

ready, willing and able!

geoblewis 11-19-2012 03:58 PM

Oh, forgot to mention that the other thing I read was that regularly pacing meals was important. I confirmed this with my doctor and read it in several books. I hate this. My daily schedule is all over the place. Eating at regular fixed intervals is not something I like at all, but with regards to blood sugar regulation, it seems to be important.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this and keep intermittent fasting. My doctor is only letting me do 12-hour fasts, and I'm supposed to eat within half an hour of getting up. I'm pushing it in the mornings, starting with a cup of bulletproof coffee (with 1 Tbs. organic, grass-fed heavy cream and 1 Tbs. coconut cream) and then eating the rest of my breakfast between 7 and 8. Lunch is between 1 and 2 and dinner is between 7 and 8.

I just worked out this schedule and haven't tested it on my blood sugar levels yet. My highest blood sugar is always first thing in the morning. I can't do fasted exercise in the morning because it just pushes my blood sugar up higher. Eating protein and fat drops it to a better level and then I can exercise. I'm going to eat in this pattern till January to see how it affects my blood sugar.

I miss being young and healthy and not worrying about what/when to eat. But that's probably what got me here in the first place!