3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Other Reduced Carb Diets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets-227/)
-   -   eating low-carb/high-fat without following any "named" plan--thread #2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets/258555-eating-low-carb-high-fat-without-following-any-named-plan-thread-2-a.html)

4myloves 05-07-2012 10:54 AM

eating low-carb/high-fat without following any "named" plan--thread #2

We had 500+ posts on the other thread--YAY!!! So I started a new one!

Hope everyone (including ME!!) will join in and post!

rho1640 05-07-2012 02:19 PM

I'm here :D.

Totally cranky today and for no reason at all! So I decided to use some of it up to clean my kitchen some .... Maybe I need to be cranky for a year to get my house done lol

4myloves 05-07-2012 02:28 PM

Ha ha! I always clean(ed) best late at night. Now that I have kiddos and can't run the vacuum late I just never clean anymore :lol:

If you stay in a bad mood, come visit for awhile! After you've had your fill of cleaning, I'll cheer you up & we'll celebrate with a long walk and a cold bottle of water!

rho1640 05-08-2012 07:51 AM

:o I'm a horrible housekeeper - too many other things tempt me - and I can't keep ahead of hubs bring thing things in either ... So you don't want my help - but I'd be up for a cloudy day walk and water :D (remember sun allergy) and speaking of walking I just got a new book and need to read it - I saw an article on it and thought it looked interesting - is about getting up and walking for 20 minutes and the health benefits ... It's "The first 20 minutes".

So has anyone found their tastes changes doing this - or maybe it's from the bronchitis and sinus infection I had .... I have loved black olives forever - had some this week and hated them -- thought the first time it was because they were generic store brand so tried some of the ones we usually have in salad last night and ugh. Then I tried some cheddar cheese (boars head brand) and that taste yucky too...

rho1640 05-13-2012 09:42 AM

Trying to keep this up near the top - I know you all will be busy today with Mothers Day and all - but figured I would post anyway to have a new post - so free form posting :D

So hubs leaves Thursday around 4 am and won't be home till Sunday night - do I work in the house (which needs lots of work lol) or do I work outside which also has lots of work ... Or do I hope for a few nice days for outside work and a few rainy days for inside work :dizzy: The outside work is hard hard stuff .. But it needs to be done to be able to get the generator we got at a super super deal to where it will live and get a person in to hook it up to the street gas ... It will be so great to not worry with hurricane season coming up and not have to worry about finding gas when we need the generator. I'm also figuring that I will finish that area as a place to have the grill and a couple of either those low wooden chairs or those old metal chairs and a little table to put some iced tea on (I can only go out once the sun moves enough for this area to be shaded but it would be nice in late afternoon or evening when the house is too hot in the summer) I'm even thinking of looking into a gas grill that we can use with a tank of gas for now then switching to street gas when we get the generator hooked up ... No more getting heavy propane tanks - and when there is a storm and we need the generator I can still cook too (it take so little to make me happy doesn't it lol)

4myloves 05-14-2012 02:18 PM

OMG! Time to own up to how I've been eating lately (AND NOT exercising at all!). I've done this before, but now it's SO out of control!!!

I've not been changing my ticker, because, basically, I've been in denial. I keep thinking, oh, it's only 8....10.....14 lbs.....I can lose that back in two-three weeks. I've done that so long now that I'm up TWENTY lbs!!! I have to change my tracker from a 36 lb. loss to a 25 lb. loss. That's ELEVEN lbs. since I've been justifying these "small" gains to myself!!

My problem is this: I do so well through the week, when I'm at work, and then on the week-ends everything blows up out of control! I graze from boredom and eat EVERYTHING in sight!!

I can lose 5 lbs. from Monday through Friday and then gain every bit of it back over Saturday & Sunday.

I HAVE TO GET OVER THIS AND GET BACK ON TRACK!!!!!!

rho1640 05-15-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4myloves (Post 4332937)

My problem is this: I do so well through the week, when I'm at work, and then on the week-ends everything blows up out of control! I graze from boredom and eat EVERYTHING in sight!!

I can lose 5 lbs. from Monday through Friday and then gain every bit of it back over Saturday & Sunday.

Ok you can do this - I have total faith that you can - sit down and plan your weeks meals - you do great during the week so keep doing what you've been doing - then take the weekends one meal or even one hour at a time - you can do anything for one hour - right - drink lots of water or seltzer or coffee if you need to... Have lots of things you can grab and munch on - some nuts or cheese or meat or anything you like (put them into snack size bags so you only have to grab it and go)

Remember I said we may look into a new gas grill (that runs off street gas) went to an acquaintances yard sale - they are moving to Fla next week for good) and they were selling theirs and didn't have any takers because it was for street gas not propane - and we ended up getting it for $50 - a Weber Spirit 3 burner - it will have to wait to be hooked up when we get the generator hook up done (bring a line to this side of the house) but WHOO HOOO - I will have a generator and be able to cook if the power goes out - and no worries about finding gas for the generator or propane for the grill :D

And more money to go towards my fridge since I didn't spend it one the grill yay!

4myloves 05-15-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Remember I said we may look into a new gas grill (that runs off street gas) went to an acquaintances yard sale - they are moving to Fla next week for good) and they were selling theirs and didn't have any takers because it was for street gas not propane - and we ended up getting it for $50 - a Weber Spirit 3 burner - it will have to wait to be hooked up when we get the generator hook up done (bring a line to this side of the house) but WHOO HOOO - I will have a generator and be able to cook if the power goes out - and no worries about finding gas for the generator or propane for the grill

And more money to go towards my fridge since I didn't spend it one the grill yay!
Holy crap, what a deal! DH's gas grill is one of the best things that's ever happened to me low-carb wise! We grill everything from meat (of course) to brussels sprouts, pineapples (not low-carb, but delish), tomatoes, broccoli, you name it.

And all "yays" for having more $$$ to spend on the fridge.

I'm thinking of PM'ing some of the others from our "old" thread....I'm wondering if they subscribed to the other and don't realize it's closed and this one is opened.

And, finally, THANKS for the support in my hour (or week-end) of need! I'm so glad you're always here for me!

rho1640 05-15-2012 11:19 AM

I think that what happens (at least to me lol) is I go read the challeng thread and unless this thread is showing in the other LC forum area I forget to come and check it .. And if you haven't posted I don't think you get a notification of new posts..

One reason I liked having the challenge in this forum was because there are people doing other plans rather than strict Atkins and I alway worry that someone will get annoyed that we talk about other ways in the thread - but I guess I'm the only worrywart hehehe

I just started adding walking to my new way of life - I go to the rec center and use the indoor track - I'm up to a mile to mile and a half now - slowly it will get better much like I lose slowly - but dang that track is hot - its inside of a metal building and suspended from the ceiling - it was 63 outside and I bet it was 88 up there - I'm going to try to make my time to go walk earlier and earlier - I bet by summer I will will be going when they open at 6am ... Which will be hard since I don't go to bed till 2 am ...:dizzy:

LBBUGS13 05-16-2012 10:42 AM

Hi all,

Sorry I have been MIA, just been really busy and trying to get back on track from the graduation weekend and mothers day/birthday weekend. Still getting the kettle bells in twice a week and the walking, but have slacked off on the treadmill. Eating has been so so, so I am not looking at the scale, but more how my clothes fit and does that spare tire seem to be getting smaller.

Rho, I like hearing about other ways I am always looking for info and play around with going totally paleo, just not sure I can give up my cheese, bread yes, but not my cheese, LOL.

4myloves, weekends are my difficult time too, I really need that one cheat day or meal. I can be good all week and blow it on the weekend, with cocktails and appetizers on the patio.

Well, off to work

Lisa

rho1640 05-17-2012 09:32 AM

Lisa have you. Looked into Protein Power - that sounds similar to what you might want - I read it ages ago and my memory's foggy at best but check it out.

You have been super busy! But at least all fun stuff ;)

rho1640 05-19-2012 12:31 PM

Morning all - just want to bump this up to the top.

I can't believe next weekend is Memorial Day Weekend - the beginning of the summer season here so lots of traffic starting Friday nights and thru Sunday nights then when school is out it is pretty constant .. So need to rethink how and when to shop and do errands in order to avoid linesin stores, traffic, and be able to find parking places. So major shopping will be done every other week thru PeaPod delivery with forays out for fresh meat and vegetables during the week.

Ok back to cleaning - break over for now... Must set my timer for 15 minutes to work then I can sit and knit for a bit or play on the computer some more... It's the only thing that works and I still have a LONG way to go... It will get there slowly and stick - much like I am planning with my live-it and weight loss..

Have a great day!

LBBUGS13 05-21-2012 01:11 AM

Hi all,

Still plugging along, was able to get into a size smaller pants and bought some new exercise pants and had to take them back for a smaller size ... Usually it is the opposite. I don't try anything on at the store, I bring it home and if it fits and I like it great, if not I return or exchange.

Rho, I had tried protein power a few years ago, just couldnt stick with all the weighing and measuring, but I did like the cheat meal, LOL.

Now I pretty much do my own thing, watch the portions and still shoot for a couple of cheats with the wine once or twice a week and I eat a lot of the same meals, which is easier, but does get a little boring. I have a big vacation coming up and will be eating out a lot over two weeks, but I am just going to do the best that I can and keep up on the exercise as I think that is really the key right now. Just hope my kettle bells come in that I ordered, cause my plan was to bring them along so I don't get too much out of routine with them while on vacation.

Lisa

4myloves 05-21-2012 03:03 PM

Sigh.

Did my usual, "good through the week, BAD on the week-end" jive.

Gotta get over that!

mariposssa 05-21-2012 03:41 PM

Had a rough time of it last week. Out of town family and friends getting together several times for planning, funeral, viewing, and fellowship. Very little exercise, lots of eating out and pot luck type meals. It is a new week...but my parents are sticking around a few more weeks. Food tends to be involved in every get together and stress is high with extra people to house, feed and make plans for...not to mention getting belongings divided up, a house ready for auction/sale etc. Not sure how this week will go..but I am determined to have my low carb day today. One day at a time.

AJBMW 05-22-2012 09:31 AM

Just a quick check in, I've been too lazy lately to post or do much of anything. I am stuck at my 20 lbs lost I just keep bouncing up a lb or two an then down a lb or two. Very discouraging. Calories are between 1300 and 1500 so I really should be losing. I hate this part. Oh well got to keep plugging away. On the other hand my blood sugar numbers are better than they have been in a long time and no dangerous Actos. :)

LLV 05-22-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4myloves (Post 4332937)
OMG! Time to own up to how I've been eating lately (AND NOT exercising at all!). I've done this before, but now it's SO out of control!!!

I've not been changing my ticker, because, basically, I've been in denial. I keep thinking, oh, it's only 8....10.....14 lbs.....I can lose that back in two-three weeks. I've done that so long now that I'm up TWENTY lbs!!! I have to change my tracker from a 36 lb. loss to a 25 lb. loss. That's ELEVEN lbs. since I've been justifying these "small" gains to myself!!

I've been doing the same thing. During the week I'm soooo good and eat healthy foods, keeping my carbs between 50 and 70. Then the weekend comes around and the whole week takes a complete nosedive. I've GOT to start treating the weekends like weekdays. The problem is getting into that mindset.

LBBUGS13 05-25-2012 01:48 AM

Hi all,

Quick check in, finally the end of the week, been doing good with the exercise and with the leader of our class out for two weeks and then my vacation starting next thursday for two and half weeks, I realized it is up to me to keep up with the exercise. Did manage to lose what I gained from the graduation weekend, plus down another three. Just been trying to balance everything out.

Well off to bed I have an early date with the treadmill & kettle bells in the early AM before work, it will be worth it to have the exercise knocked out early tomorrow

Lisa

LBBUGS13 06-02-2012 05:47 PM

Hi,

Checking from vacation in NOT too sunny San Diego. It looks like our weather, minus the rain and a little warmer, but overcast. Hopefully it will burn off some days, doesn't look like it today.

Plan is to try to be good eating and exercising. Walked around the resort and took about a 40 minute walk to get lunch. We are staying at the hotel Del Coronado. We are on the 3rd floor in the main hotel this week, so I have been taking the stairs up and down to the room and will continue that, plus walking on the beach in the sand. I even hauled two of the 8 KG kettle bells down with me in the car so I could keep that up. Plus I promised my kettle bell buddy that I would check in everyday and she will report me to our trainer! Hard part will be resting chips, salsa, coronas! I did split an order with my hubby last night, but we walked 40 minutes to get them and I am good now ... no more!

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Lisa

rho1640 06-04-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBBUGS13 (Post 4356766)
Hi,

Checking from vacation in NOT too sunny San Diego. It looks like our weather, minus the rain and a little warmer, but overcast. Hopefully it will burn off some days, doesn't look like it today.

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Lisa

Just checking in to see how the vacation is going? Have a ball!

shareli 06-05-2012 07:23 AM

Hi guys. I'm still here. I haven't been losing for a while, and I guess I got a little discouraged because I haven't been as diligent on plan the past 3-4 weeks. However, I'm now ready to tackle the next 5 pounds, which I hope to lose by the end of the month.

I'm trying to mix things up a bit to see if it helps. I'm going to try very low carb, similar to Atkins induction, for 2-3 days a week, then low glycemic, for
2-3 days, and then ease up a bit on Sunday. I'll keep you posted.

Sharon

LBBUGS13 06-09-2012 09:40 PM

Hi all,

Still on vacation. I am doing OK eating wise, lots of salads and when I have something that is not OP, I am not stressing over it too much. They do like to serve lots of chips, salsa & guacomole here. I need to get in another kettle bell workout, but with the planned excursions and social functions at the convention this past week, I only got two in. It is better than none. I am getting in lots of walking and I should be able to get in a kettle bell workout on monday, tomorrow I plan on taking a long walk on the beach. Hubby is in meetings during the day, the convention is over and I should have lots more time for me next week. :cool:

Lisa

rho1640 06-10-2012 10:05 AM

Sharon remember this is a journey and sometimes we deviate from the laid out course - you are back and that's what's important :D

Lisa it sounds like you are having a super vacation and in a beautiful place too.

I had a great month of losses last month so I've been playing with 2 lbs since the first of the month - I know it's normal for me to have this happen but I have to admit that I was thrilled to see the scale moving down again - why when this happens the 2 lbs is higher than the lowest I have no idea but I'm almost back to my lowest and should be on my way lower this week yay... I so want to be in onederland when I go back to the doctor the end of July.

bettyboop56 09-18-2012 12:04 PM

week-ends the worst

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4myloves (Post 4341480)
Sigh.

Did my usual, "good through the week, BAD on the week-end" jive.

Gotta get over that!

I see I'm not alone with the week-end eating, my DH loves going out on the week-ends and i love the bread bowls. Dang I have to stop this, oh well maybe I will be stronger:?: this week-end

geoblewis 11-04-2012 04:08 PM

Can I play along too?

I don't like to follow diets. It seems the moment I try to restrict myself to a list, I start breaking rules. That being said, I get positive results from the very-low-carb eating (like the ketogenic diet), mostly-Paleo eating and modified intermittent fasting to help control calories.

I experience diet failure often. Like today, I've got a head cold and I just want comfort food. Had two slices of home-baked sprouted wheat bread with butter, in addition to all the other super-low-carb food I ate. Brothy soups mostly, soft scrambled eggs. I want to snack on some cheese now, some creamy soft blue cheese.

I figure as long as my refrigerator is loaded with the stuff I want to stick to, then I don't really need to follow I "diet". I don't like to meal plan at all! I buy what's in season and cook from what I have on hand.

pattygirl63 11-19-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoblewis (Post 4518794)
Can I play along too?

I don't like to follow diets. It seems the moment I try to restrict myself to a list, I start breaking rules. That being said, I get positive results from the very-low-carb eating (like the ketogenic diet), mostly-Paleo eating and modified intermittent fasting to help control calories.

I experience diet failure often. Like today, I've got a head cold and I just want comfort food. Had two slices of home-baked sprouted wheat bread with butter, in addition to all the other super-low-carb food I ate. Brothy soups mostly, soft scrambled eggs. I want to snack on some cheese now, some creamy soft blue cheese.

I figure as long as my refrigerator is loaded with the stuff I want to stick to, then I don't really need to follow I "diet". I don't like to meal plan at all! I buy what's in season and cook from what I have on hand.

Georgia Hi, I am the same. Maybe we could do this together. I like the Intuitive Eating idea of eating only when hungry and stop when satisfied. I just found this thread and I think it would be great to report here. I ordered the book Diet 101 you wrote about on another thread and think low carb is the way to get control of diabetes. Haven't got my book yet, but I read some on her website and I think low carb is the only way to get the results we want. I'll hang around here if you will.

My plan for the holidays is to eat very low carb up to T-day and take that day off and get right back to very low carb the day after. Then low carb until Christmas Day and take off just that day. Will have a church Christmas Party one time during December and will make just that meal an off meal. I have the plan now just to follow.

Radiojane 11-19-2012 10:18 AM

this is pretty much what I'm doing. I've stolen parts I like from a whole bunch of different diets. I try to stay at Atkins induction level carbs, I'm staying gluten free, and I aim for paleo/primal but I allow dairy and I do cheat. I monitor my calories, but low carb seems to be the hinge for me, if I go to high on the carbs then I stall out.

I'm trying sooooo hard to stay on plan until Christmas!!! It seems like since I've started there's been one weekend a month where there was something going on that took me off plan, and I'd lose an entire week's progress!

geoblewis 11-19-2012 03:35 PM

I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and The New Atkins Diet, then Blood Sugar 101 and Diet 101, then The Ketogenic Diet, and most recently The Diet Cure. I think I'm tired of reading!

But to eat in support of saving my pancreas is most important, so low-carb is it for me. One thing I just read in Diet 101 was to eat normally (as in higher carbs) for a couple weeks before going in for blood tests to check A1c because then the doctor will see the real picture and prescribe insulin or other meds as needed. And then, go back to eating the low carb diet because no matter what meds are used to deal with blood sugar issues, they can only do just so much.

Then I was reading in The Ketogenic Diet about how much glycogen and water our bodies store. We know that the induction stage of Atkins has us dumping glycogen and water. During the first two weeks, that all come from our liver at first, and then slowly comes out of our muscles. For thinner people, that can be up to 7 lbs, but for bigger people, up to 20 lbs. And we haven't even started losing fat at that point. That's why the induction phase isn't so much about limiting calories. But when the stored glycogen and water have been eliminated, the weight loss slows down because we're down to the actual fat-burning stage. And that's when we have to start dropping calories. The low-carb keeps us in ketosis and the deficit eating moves the fat-loss along. And slipping up by eating carbs results in big weight gain, even though it's only water and glycogen.

So much information to work through. I feel like I have to put together a spreadsheet to get it all figured out. But in the meantime, keep the carbs low (except for the Kentucky bourbon pecan pie I'm having Thursday)(and the glazed walnut pumpkin pie for breakfast Friday morning)(and eggnog cheesecake for Christmas)(and I forgot about the tamales!)

Dang Holidaze!!! Maybe I'll go get my A1c checked in January.

Rhonda Marie 11-19-2012 03:47 PM

ready, willing and able!

geoblewis 11-19-2012 03:58 PM

Oh, forgot to mention that the other thing I read was that regularly pacing meals was important. I confirmed this with my doctor and read it in several books. I hate this. My daily schedule is all over the place. Eating at regular fixed intervals is not something I like at all, but with regards to blood sugar regulation, it seems to be important.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this and keep intermittent fasting. My doctor is only letting me do 12-hour fasts, and I'm supposed to eat within half an hour of getting up. I'm pushing it in the mornings, starting with a cup of bulletproof coffee (with 1 Tbs. organic, grass-fed heavy cream and 1 Tbs. coconut cream) and then eating the rest of my breakfast between 7 and 8. Lunch is between 1 and 2 and dinner is between 7 and 8.

I just worked out this schedule and haven't tested it on my blood sugar levels yet. My highest blood sugar is always first thing in the morning. I can't do fasted exercise in the morning because it just pushes my blood sugar up higher. Eating protein and fat drops it to a better level and then I can exercise. I'm going to eat in this pattern till January to see how it affects my blood sugar.

I miss being young and healthy and not worrying about what/when to eat. But that's probably what got me here in the first place!

pattygirl63 11-19-2012 06:18 PM

Georgia Thanks for sharing what you've read. I have Dr. Bernstein's book too. I guess I did good with my last A1c test a few weeks ago. DH and I had been eating loads of candy the three months before. So I guess we good a good reading. I get it redone in February.

RadioJane and Rhonda :wave:

geoblewis 11-20-2012 03:22 PM

Okay, I think this is the end of the line on reading for me! My head is swimming with info. I have been trying to simplify it all to achieve a good ketogenic ratio, and then I ran across an excel form someone set up on Dr. B's forum. I am going to assume they are doing it right. No one on the forum has complained about it...yet.

If you're interested in the formula: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwbrfnS9S6miSkJJc2FqV1hnUmc

To download it, select File, then Download to save to your computer. Input your calorie goal into one of the green cells and press Enter. It'll calculate your nutrient levels for you.

I'm shooting for very moderate weight loss or maintenance through the holiday season. I really want to achieve proper ketosis. My Ketosix arrived yesterday and I'm set! I set my calorie goal for 1990, so carbs are ar 20 gm net, protein is 75 gm and fat is 179 gm. I've NEVER eaten that much fat before! I think I'll be supplementing fats with a lot of hot tea with coconut cream and heavy cream.

I have been overeating protein for some time, thinking that was the key to finding satiety and getting into ketosis. The reading is telling me I was all wrong! And also not doing myself a favor because overeating protein can lead to calcium loss in the bones. Yipes! I can't afford that!

I'll keep posting my progress here.

Current weight: 301 lbs

Daily goals: 1990 calories, 20 gm net carbs, 75 gm protein, 179 gm fat
Exercise: 1 hour Pilates daily, 20 minutes indoor rowing or 1 hour walking daily, 1 full-body weight training workout/week (maintenance)
Sleep: 8 to 9 hours a night
Intermittent fasting: 12-hour cycles, lowest carbs at breakfast, done eating by 5 (That's going to be the toughest thing to achieve!)

Hoping to achieve 1 lb fat loss/week while maintaining muscle.

I hope this is it for me! I'm tired of looking for answers.

pattygirl63 11-20-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

I have been overeating protein for some time, thinking that was the key to finding satiety and getting into ketosis. The reading is telling me I was all wrong! And also not doing myself a favor because overeating protein can lead to calcium loss in the bones. Yipes! I can't afford that!
Georgia Thanks for sharing this. I guess I thought the same thing and I've been doing the same thing. I hope my book gets here soon. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

pattygirl63 11-21-2012 01:59 PM

Got my book now to find time to read.:o Will do a little at a time today and tomorrow and then get with it Friday.

Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

pattygirl63 11-22-2012 08:14 PM

I'm still in Chapter 1, I read and sometimes have to read some of it over. So much to grasp. However, I have to say that I've read enough to see that my deceased hubby may have been diabetic although the doctor's always said his bs was normal. He used to have black out and one time his body shut down to a point that he seemed to be hanging on by a thread. The EMT said his body was doing what it had to do to keep him alive and supply oxygen to the vital organs. I had doctors ask me if he had ever been diabetic, but of course I had to say no that he never had been told that he was. Now I'm wondering if he was. He lived on coffee with sugar and cream. This book has some really vital info.

I also wonder about this DH whose muscles ache all the time. He has been diagnosed diabetic which really surprised him because he doesn't know of anyone in his family background who was ever diabetic. I'm wondering how much of his joint and muscle problems are the diabetes. I get the idea that the doctors have no answers because they haven't studied things enough to know what the problem really is. Hopefully, I'll know more as I read more in the book.

I ate what I wanted for Thanksgiving, but no more than what I had planned to eat. I'm through and don't care to eat another bite of food. I will have to eat something around 9 or 10 to take my Metformin, but it won't be much. May be just an Atkins shake.

pattygirl63 11-25-2012 12:17 PM

I believe from what I've read so far in this book that low carb and low calorie are extremely important for diabetes. So I'm going to be experimenting throughout the holidays counting both calories and carbs. It will probably more of a personal way of doing both but I think between now and January 2 will be a very good way to start to see if it is a good thing or not. Also it wi ll be interesting to see how bloodwork changes between now and February when I go back to the doctor. Oh, I am going to be using "good" fats like coconut oil and olive oil since I think that fat is extremely important too. I think fat free is too low and dangerous and makes us hungry, but still not extremely high is very good for you either so I lean more toward a low calorie/lowfat/low carb way of eating.

Georgia Are you still with me here?:)

geoblewis 11-25-2012 02:33 PM

I'm here, Trish! Stayed off the computer over the holiday, but now I'm back and ready to burn off these potatoes! (Really didn't eat that many, but enough to make me feel bloated and to gain a pound!)

Got my Ketostix, got my macronutrients figured out, and the kitchen is about to get scoured so I won't want to go in and fuss over it. I want to be out of the 290s by the end of the year.

Trish, I was both saddened and angered when reading about your late husband's passing. It makes me want to go to my doctors and ask him A LOT of questions about his philosophy about detecting and treating diabetes. I want someone I trust watching my back. :hug:

pattygirl63 11-25-2012 04:36 PM

Georgia I understand how you feel. I felt the same way when I read things in this book and wondered even about my present condition. It seems that blood sugar seems to affect so many physical problems we experience. And diet seems to be where we start to correct them. I saw a book or something that said "What your doctor doesn't want you to know". I don't think it is the true that they don't want us to know, I personally think "they just don't know" because they know nothing or very little about nutrition. I've heard that in the 7 years they go to school, they only get one class on nutrition. Don't know if that's changed or not. However, Tony's DD got only one 5 weel class on nutrition and that was mostly on drugs and vitamins in nursing school.

I am so thankful that you found this book. I've learned so much. I've learned that I probably never gave low carb diets long enough to work for me. I also learned why my favorite diet "The Carbohydrate Addict's" doesn't work for me any more and as much as I love it. I used it to lose about 70+ lbs years ago, but it probably never will work for me again, because I can't eat all my carby foods in the one hour RM like I did back then. I need to spread them out throughout the day or I can't function because I go overboard and end up tired and sleepy. Thanks to the books research explanations, I not only understand this, but I also realize why there are times I never could drink alcohol and that I probably have suffered from this since I was 17 yrs old, but doctors didn't know how to help me. They even said they didn't know what was wrong with me.

I don't want to cut my carbs all the way back to Atkins 20 grams unless I have to. So I'm going to not only count the calories, I'm going to try to keep my carbs at 110 or less each day.

I've been sharing what I'm learning with my daughter. She and her hubby are diabetic. He is diabetic on dialysis and she is pre-diabetic. His doc is about to become her doc and he told them that you can reverse diabetes. Sure hope he's right... if so I plan to reverse mine and hopefully they will too.

You know what is interesting... Last year my doc said to me "we doctors don't say it much, but there were some studies done a few years ago that proved that any diet will work. You just have to learn which one you can live with". When I went to him last month, I told him I had really struggled but I had decided that I was going to count calories so I could have whatever I want... just eat it within my allotted calories. Then he began to share with me a website he used to count his calories. The interesting thing about our conversation is that things he has told me is much like what I've been reading in the book. I wonder if the studies he mentioned are the same research studies she mentions. He is so good to take time to talk to me about my diet help me.

I'm glad you are here for us to take this journey together.

Have a good evening.

pattygirl63 11-28-2012 11:21 PM

Things going well so far. I've actually dropped a lb. so far this week. Slow I know but at least I lost.

geoblewis 11-29-2012 12:04 PM

I'm doing well too, Trish :). My period showed up after a two-month hiatus. It was a total surprise because I wasn't experiencing any carb cravings or edginess before, no bloating and no weight gain. I lost a pound too! :carrot: We take what we can get, right?

Started doing something in the mornings called bulletproof coffee. A cup of organic Arabica coffee grown in really high altitude regions, adding organic grass-fed heavy cream and taking three organic coconut oil capsules with it. The higher fats help me manage morning hunger and gets my blood sugar coming down (I have high blood sugar in the mornings). It's been helping me push back my eating window which helps me eat less during the day. And it helps add fats to my ketogenic proportions. I haven't had problems with cutting carbs, but I still overeat protein, especially late in the day, so I'm hoping the added fats will help me cut that back. Because that helps control my morning blood sugar levels too.

So this morning, I cup of bulletproof coffee and a slice of beef bacon within half an hour of waking up. Looking forward to a nice chicken meatball and minestrone soup for an early lunch, almonds and cheese before Pilates this afternoon and crab cakes and spinach salad for dinner. The struggle will be not to get nibbly after dinner!

Have a great day!