Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #1  
LLV

Talking What do you put on your salads?

I'm just curious as to what everyone likes to put on their salads. I need some new ideas!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #2  
Egy Kis Lany

Oooh!

Everything/lots of things...

But I just started putting large spoon fulls of chunky salsa on instead of a salad dressing. It adds tomatoes and gives the 'wet' dressing texture... and it gives great flavor, too. This goes on almost any kind of salad... from the average garden-type, to a tuna salad, to *anything*.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #3  
Opulent

I'll answer what I put "on" and what I put "in" it as well...

I put hummus, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, fat-free balsamic (or other home-made, such as lemon garlic etc. )dressing, salsa, applesauce...I'll try anything

As far as what I put IN a salad, the possibilities are endless! As long as it's vegan and healthy, I'll consider putting it in a salad! Fruits, cabbage (napa, savoy, red, green or any kind), carrots, beets, roasted veggies (onion, tomato, carrots, zucchini, eggplant etc.), beans, lentils, lettuces, mixed greens, kale, chard, onions (red, green, sweet Vidalia etc.) tomatoes (beefsteak, baby, roma, sun-dried) celery, steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower or any of the above) baked tofu, nuts, seeds, sprouts....and so on...I'm sure you get the idea! Anything goes!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #4  

this may sound off...but i love salad with slathered with mustard,

usually i have raw spinach, black beans or tuna or egg or a morning star burger, lots of tomato, raw broc, radish, califlower, snap peas, sprouts, red cabbage, broccoli cole slaw (no dressing added), egg plant, peppers
and just cover it either in mustard or lately i put a bit of lime juice (natural no sugar added) add a small amount of apple cider vinager and a tiny bit of olive oil shake add some black pepper and eat
yume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #5  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

yume I'm with you. I put spicy brown mustard, a little udos oil and red wine vinegar for dressing with some salt and pepper. I recently started adding things like pickled asparagus, beets, and cauliflower which really add a flavor punch. For protein I usually use tuna mixed w/ more mustard and udos oil, or baked chicken.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #6  
Losing for Life!

My New favorite salad is 2-4 cups of romain lettuce, shredded carrot, diced celery, shredded red cabbage, diced red onion, halved plum tomatos, chopped zuchinni, 1 pear chopped and 1 ounce of feta cheese. I dress this with 2 TBLS of FF caesar dressing mixed with 2 TBLS of White Balsamic Vinegar and a little salt and pepper.

I usually have the greens already prepared and just add the pear and cheese when I make it up for lunch it is such a nice flavorful salad I eat it a couple of time a week.
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #7  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I usually get the ready to use bagged salads and add some tomato and cucumber. For toppings, I like crumbled goat cheese and about a tablespoon each of chopped walnuts and dried cranberries. Sometimes I add a few slices of pear.

My favorite dressing is Marie's Blue Cheese Vinagrette (in the cold case in the grocery store). This is not a low-fat dressing, but a little goes a long way in the flavor department! I figured out the calories on Nutrisystem and a good sized serving of this salad is 200 calories.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:47 AM   #8  
LLV

Thanks for the responses so far
Old 12-02-2005, 07:10 PM   #9  

Tony Chachere's Spice n Herbs , it's sooo good , and a little spicy
okie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'm boring on the veegies (though getting some good ideas here). I like to add some kind of protein: canned tuna, turkey, egg, grilled chicken... I really like to add a little feta cheese, put the salad in a plastic container with a lid and really "toss" it. The cheese crumbles and kind of coats everything and functions like a dressing, so then I don't also need a dressing.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #11  
banned

i use lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bout 1/4 c either gorbanzo beans or kidney beans, 1/2 clementine a sprinkle of parmesan, and a small sprinking of ff shredded cheddar.
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:13 PM   #12  
Doing what it takes!

Thumbs up

I like to make salads like you can get in fancy delis and resturants:
(Use any combination)

Mixed greens (not iceberg-yuk!), dried fruit, nuts, cheeses, bacon, mixed beans, spouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, egg, turkey, ham, chicken, tuna, shrimp, anchovies, salmon, beef, cucumber, red/yellow/orange/green pepper, cottage cheese, fresh fruit, canned fruit, celery, radishes, shredded carrot, mushrooms, beets, jalapeno (any hot peppers), black/green olives.........mmm, I'm hungry!
RocksAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:29 AM   #13  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I get big bags of mixed baby greens. (I'm lazy) I like to add mandarin oranges, fat free feta, dried cranberries, walnuts or almonds, for dressing I like Newman's Own light rasberry walnut or light vinagrette. I do the same as wyllen - I put it in a big container with a lid and give it a good shake. You don't need nearly as much dressing that way. I made such a good salad today - I went back for seconds.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

I love creamy dressings, but have also found that I love fresh lemon juice & a little sea salt (no oil at all) - both ingredients are commonly used to "heighten" flavour, and it really does. The absolute antithesis of what I normally prefer, but it's very good. I also like to put tons of different things in my salads, to make it about the salad and not about the dressing!

cheerio,
Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:54 AM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat
I get big bags of mixed baby greens. (I'm lazy) I like to add mandarin oranges, fat free feta,
I have NEVER found fat-free feta. I've looked for it but to no avail. The only thing I've found is reduced-fat feta and strangely it has more calories per serving than the regular kind