Old 12-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #16  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I get the fat free feta at Albertson's (30 cals for an oz), the brand name is President.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:56 AM   #17  

spinich leaves, blue cheese crumbles (not a lot), sliced strawberries, and poppysead dressing is SOO GOOD!
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 AM   #18  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat
I get the fat free feta at Albertson's (30 cals for an oz), the brand name is President.
I don't believe we have an Albertson's here. For grocery shopping we have Kroger and Walmart and that's it.

Well, except for the tinier chains like Giant Eagle and Sav-A-Lot, but I never go in those. Mostly because they're clear on the other side of town and I'm not traveling that far just to grocery shop.

30 calories an ounce! That would be great. The kind I currently use has 80 calories an ounce

And that's the reduced fat. The regular (full fat version) has 70 calories an ounce.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #19  
Egy Kis Lany

I bought some fat-free feta the other day... and i think that it has a very not-good taste.

So, back to the real stuff for me, when I want it.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #20  
Working My Way Back Down

I believe that President's is a Kroger brand, so you might ask for it. However, I like the flavor of the "real" stuff better too, and you don't need much. I like to use salsa and ff sour cream in place of dressing, or often I use just vinegar - usually rice vinegar as it doesn't have so much of a "bite."
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #21  
Egy Kis Lany

I've seen President's at Schnucks here in St. Louis, I'm pretty sure it's not a Kroger thing.

But try asking a manager at the customer service to look into stocking some more FF cheese -- each time you go into your favorite store. It works!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #22  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

This thread is a good idea. I actually try not to eat much salad because I really only like Thousand Island of Honey Mustard dressings, both of which basically defeat the purpose of having a salad in the first place I have tried mild salsa and ff sour cream, and that worked really well, but I am still looking for other options as well. I just can't stand vinegarette dressings or anything with pepper or anything spicy--yeah, I'm picky
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #23  
Egy Kis Lany

jilly -- maybe instead of having 'a salad' you can try to have something else and jam a salad into it?

For example --
flatten a chicken breast and put a salad on it (spinach with some craisins and a few chopped walnuts and a little feta cheese -- steam it first) and then roll it up and bake it
-or-
Make a sandwich with whatever you want (within reason, of course...) and then load it with your salad -- lettuce and veggies. I like to do this with a wrap or a pita, so it doesn't all fall apart

I guess my point... if you don't like salads w/out lots of bad-for-you dressings, don't bother to try and eat them. But I hope that you do find some nice alternatives here and learn to love them, of course.
I've been mixing the ff sour cream and salsa and I love it as a dressing!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #24  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
I believe that President's is a Kroger brand,
Nope, I've never seen that brand at Kroger.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 PM   #25  
a new me, I soon will be

I'll try anything on my salads to liven things up...usually what I have on hand like the usual suspects of broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper, onion, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, and any kind of bean. After I had surgery last summer, I wanted to try to get more nutrition into my salads so I started trying out things like strawberries, raspberries, apples, pineapple, mango, oranges, and even pickled beets. All go really well with different types of vinagrette dressings. My latest creation is a tiny bit of olive or sesame oil, honey, apple cider vinegar, and Garlic & Herb Mrs. Dash.
becgris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #26  

I love to make vinaigrettes using plain f-f yogurt in place of oil. Then I add whatever kind of vinegar (usually balsamic) and dijon mustard, salt and pepper, and whatever other flavoring strikes. Proportions are to taste, but a little yogurt goes a long way.

Other good combos:
Apple cider vinegar & a little citrus juice (would go great on salads with fruit, or beets, or other "sweet" components"

White wine vinegar, dijon mustard and a touch of honey to make honey mustard

Plain yogurt with ranch dressing seasoning is awesome. It's not as rich & creamy as the real ranch, but it's a darn sight better than the f-f or low-fat bottled ranch. Add black pepper and a few shavings of parmesan and you have parmesan peppercorn ranch.
googlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #27  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Nope, I've never seen that brand at Kroger.
Around here, I think it's Albertson's.

My favorite dressing is Girard's Light Champagne Dressing...I measure it out carefully - 60 calories for 2 tablespoons. It's so tangy! and 2 tbs. will cover a MASS of salad greens & veggies - as long as you keep tossing!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:14 AM   #28  

I make a very filling salad with canned beans (rinsed), cooked grains (any--I like millet or bulgur), chopped veggies (scallions, cabbage, etc.) and a light vinaigrette.

i also like bagged baby spinach, chopped red onion, hard-boiled egg and just a small sprinkling of an intense bleu cheese.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #29  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Cesear with Parmesan

I'm fond of vingerettes either but there is a cesear with parmesan that is runnier than ranch, but thicker than the typical vingerettes. It isn't as tangy as ceasar. Very low fat/cal. Try it. You can find it at Walmart and I have found it in my grocery store.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:55 PM   #30  

I use the lettuce kits you can get in the produce section, with iceburg, carrots and cabbage. I add cucumbers, green olives, and raisins, and low fat dressing. Sometimes I add a boiled egg and a little cheese. I actually have 6 fixed up in the fridge in tuperware type containers. I just need to grab and add the dressing.
trudei is offline   Reply With Quote