Old 07-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

Default Breakfast

There are quite a few nice recipes in the recipe area for breakfast - they all sound so good!

The problem that I have is that I am not a morning person - it took a lot of effort for me to start eating breakfast since I very seldom ate in the morning. I get up early enough to just run around like a madwoman to get ready for work, grab my pre-packed lunch from the night before and then mad dash out the door. What this means, is that I usually have in my pre-packed breakfast/lunch/healthy snack. Breakfast consists of WW yogurt (various flavor) and FiberOne (1 pt) and I can eat that at my desk. Don't get me wrong, I do like that - it fills me up, but it is getting old after 3 months!

I am wondering is anyone has made any of the stratas or other breakfast items in the recipe section, portioned them out to individual servings and then warmed them up in the microwave?

I have a small fridge and microwave in my office so that isn't an issue. I 'could' bring stuff to make, but I don't want a lot of dishes/utensils in my office.. lol. A container I can handle plus I can control the portions rather easily.

Ideas? Thoughts?
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi!
When I am in a rush, I scramble egg whites/substitutes, with some parsley and then put some mushrooms/peppers/green onion in it, then throw it on a WW wrap with a fat free cheese slice, and mustard! Its so easy!! Plus microwaving it doesn't hurt it, it still tastes great! Plus its only 3 points!! Just an idea, maybe u could do that once in a while to mix things up a bit! Hope this helps

JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I am in a similar situation more often than I'd care to admit (I like to think I'm a morning person, but frankly, I lie to myself about this often ). This is what I do: in advance, I make up a couple tupperware containers of oatmeal (dry). Toss in 1/2c rolled oats, and whatever you like in your oatmeal - dried fruit, nuts, cinnamon - plus some non-fat coffee creamer. Then when you get to work, add water, microwave, and bam! Breakfast. Think of this like you would think of a packet of instant oatmeal - except you have greater control over the ingredients and it is much healthier.

This week I have gotten back into steel cut oats so I made a big pot over the weekend, portioned it out into containers, and add almond milk, blueberries, and cinnamon in the morning and dash to work. Microwave it and breakfast at your desk!

I'm not a big fan of reheating eggs, so I haven't tried the stratas or quiches or anything like that. Best I can do for a morning grab-and-go egg breakfast is to grab a hardboiled egg and a piece of fruit or something, but it doesn't sustain me like the oatmeal does.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #4  

Jenny.. LOL I really mean that I run around like a mad woman. I am really lucky to have all of my makeup on or both sides of my hair styled.. I couldn't possibly find the extra 10 minutes it would take to make that - although it does sound good. I make a variation of that on weekends.

Suite - That is an awesome idea! We went shopping tonight and I was looking at those pre-packaged oatmeal bowls.. didn't like the points in those not to mention all of the sugars. I had taken a packet of cranberry oatmeal to work last week and a container - it was ok... used water. It was better than nothing. I am intrigued with your adding the non-fat dairy creamer. I love the Fat Free Vanilla Creamer. Adding that to it and then using water would work. I like the idea of adding different stuff to it too. Great idea!

I tried the hardboiled egg with a slice of toast that I reheated in the microwave.. it was ok, but not great. LOL - I went back to the FiberOne & yogurt after that.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #5  

Yeah, I don't mind oatmeal made with water... but oatmeal made with milk is DELICIOUS. Unfortunately, if you want to prep it way beforehand, you can't exactly put milk in it and let it sit a couple days. I figure creamer is similar to whatever they put in peaches n cream instant oatmeal packets, right? Anyway, when you add water it gets nice and rich as if you had added milk. It works out wonderfully. I hope you enjoy it!

Oh, and I know you said you have absolutely no time in the mornings, but if you can find 30 seconds you could always spread PB on a wrap and roll a banana up in it (remember to peel the banana first ). That's another wonderful on-the-go filling breakfast, but I admit you need a minute to pull that one off in the mornings....
Old 07-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
YOh, and I know you said you have absolutely no time in the mornings, but if you can find 30 seconds you could always spread PB on a wrap and roll a banana up in it

(remember to peel the banana first)

That's another wonderful on-the-go filling breakfast, but I admit you need a minute to pull that one off in the mornings....
I about snorted my water through my nose! You know me so well!

I did buy wraps and bananas tonight too!

Last edited by Chey; 07-13-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

YUM, I think I'll try the banana and PB thing my self!!

JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #8  

Jenny - I know I am. I have next week planned already. 3 mornings of oatmeal with FF vanilla creamer and 2 days of banana wraps.

Last edited by Chey; 07-13-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #9  

The banana wraps are awesome. I'm glad the word is spreading I think I first heard the idea from mandalinn somewhere on the forums. It's kind of amazing how well it keeps you going!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

I tried the PB, banana & wrap thing the other day. Yum!

I also love those steel cut oats. I hadn't tried them forever, and then I finally did. My recent favorite mixture was 1/2 sliced banana, 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts, some sugar-free caramel coffee syrup and some fat free half & half. Yum!

I actually got a little bag of chopped walnut topping tonight so I could do some more this week. But another thing I was thinking might be good would be a chopped fresh peach, the ff half & half, and some kind of sugar-free sweetener. Maybe more of the caramel syrup, though I think vanilla would be better. Peaches & cream, you know?

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/183/136

Height: 5'2"

I can't wait to try the pb and banana wrap. I usually take a low fat cheese stick and a banana and eat that when I am driving to work...then a yogurt at my desk around 10:00. I do not eat eggs so traditional breakfast is not for me.
philadelphiab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi ladies - I made the banana wrap today & loved it!

So easy & filling. Thanks!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #13  

So how many points is the banana wrap? that sounds yummy
heidelbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #14  

The way I make it, it's 5 points. It depends on how much PB you put on!

I use a 1 point wrap, plus
a 2 point banana, plus
2 points worth of PB (2tsp for me)
Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #15  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

YUM! PB Banana wrap sounds SO good! I currently am doing the banana and pb with a kavli cracker at work sometimes, wrap sounds better

Great idea!

Oatmeal is EASY the night before too, we get the regular long cooking steel cut variety, boil with water, turn the heat off, put the lid on the pan and let it sit overnight. It is sterile with the lid on. In the morning I throw in frozen berries and reheat briefly, sometimes adding a bit of milk. (you could do this on low heat while you get ready for work) However, I am lucky in that DH does the prep on this every night. He eats oatmeal every day for cholesterol lowering benefits

I also like Clif bars--one of those will sustain me for a long time! They are 4 pts (240 calories) I have one with a nectarine (1pt) for a 5 point insta-breakfast that actually keeps me going.
Manick is offline   Reply With Quote