Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 10-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #1  
Just A Normal Guy

S/C/G: 413/405.5/260

Height: 6'

Default Just Getting Started Is My Goal

Recently I've been wanting to get back into the gym, but I haven't had the time. Now that my daughter has started school, I have most of the day to myself.

Yesterday I decided I was going to get a gym membership and start going again, so today, after checking out three gyms, I finally decided on 24 Hour Fitness. I use to go to this gym a few years ago and they've upgraded it since then.

I almost flaked out right before going to 24 Hour Fitness. One gym was way too big and during their "slow" time of day, there must have been at least 300 people there. I can't imagine how crowded it must be when they are busy.

So now my mini goal is just to get started on Monday. If I can do that, then I'll be able to figure out my other goals from there. Wish me luck.
3xTheCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140

Height: 5'1

Good Luck! You can do it.
KYgirlinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I belong to two gyms for that reason - one is so quiet and peaceful (often I'm the only one there) and the other is really busy and I only go at 4am when there aren't many people there.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #4  
Just A Normal Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I belong to two gyms for that reason - one is so quiet and peaceful (often I'm the only one there) and the other is really busy and I only go at 4am when there aren't many people there.
Just curious. Why 2 and not just 1?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xTheCharm View Post
Just curious. Why 2 and not just 1?
The quiet one has limited hours and isn't open at 4am (which is often my only free time that isn't occupied by child or work). I can go to this one if I get out of work early enough and we don't have any classes/activities going on for the night.

The busy one I can go to in the morning before work when we have girl scouts, dance class, sports, etc.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Well Begun is Half Done.

Congrats!
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #7  
Just A Normal Guy

Quote:
The quiet one has limited hours and isn't open at 4am (which is often my only free time that isn't occupied by child or work). I can go to this one if I get out of work early enough and we don't have any classes/activities going on for the night.

The busy one I can go to in the morning before work when we have girl scouts, dance class, sports, etc.
That makes sense. Do you prefer one over the other?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #8  
Just A Normal Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatinPumpkin View Post
Well Begun is Half Done.

Congrats!
Thanks.

You've lost an amazing amount of weight. Congrats.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #9  

Quote:
That makes sense. Do you prefer one over the other?
YES! I love the quiet one because since I'm alone, I can use several weight machines at once and switch back and forth between them - ie, I'll use the dip, the curl, and the tricep press all in a circuit. Plus, I often do stretches and even dance a little bit as I walk from one thing to the next.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Congratulation 3xTheCharm, on making the commitment to yourself! Please report back on Monday after you've gone to the gym.

I just joined this forum yesterday because I cannot continue gaining weight!

I was always chubby and overweight as a child, teenager, and young adult, trying one diet after another. When I was 25 I finally started exercising and eating healthy, and have pretty much been in shape since my thyroid issue 2 years ago. Even after my thyroid was normal again, I just became lazy and unmotivated. I'm 55 and ready to get healthy and feel good again.

Let's do this together One Day at a Time!
AshliRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #11  
Momof4

S/C/G: 317/*ticker*/198

Height: 5'6"

You can do it!
Nagazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #12  
Just A Normal Guy

Quote:
YES! I love the quiet one because since I'm alone, I can use several weight machines at once and switch back and forth between them - ie, I'll use the dip, the curl, and the tricep press all in a circuit. Plus, I often do stretches and even dance a little bit as I walk from one thing to the next.
Do you have before and afters posted? I see you've been a member for a while and was just curious about your journey after seeing your pic. I always find before and afters inspiring.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #13  

Quote:
Do you have before and afters posted? I see you've been a member for a while and was just curious about your journey after seeing your pic. I always find before and afters inspiring.
I've really been close to the same weight through most of my life, but started really dieting and cutting meals out when I was 11 years old, and struggled with under-eating until I got pregnant at 25.

I didn't really have any befores/afters other than losing the pregnancy weight. I believe my journey for the past seven years has been trying to eat clean and plant-based foods for my entire family - volumetric style, with no gluten, few grains, and very little sugar.

Right after my daughter was born (I gained 80! lbs)

A year later, when I lost it all

Seven years later, fluctuating between the same 5 lbs or so.

I'd love to lose 15lbs or so by the time I get re-married next June, so that's my mission now.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #14  
Just A Normal Guy

Very nice. Congrats on changing your eating habits. That's the hardest part for me.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #15  
Just A Normal Guy

Update...

I was all excited about getting started today and I get hit with a double whammy.

1. I started getting sick Friday morning, but have managed to keep it under control. The downside is that when I'm sick, my asthma acts up, which means any activity more than normal walking leaves me winded and coughing.

Fun Fact: Since I've stopped using my inhaler and breathing machine, I've had fewer asthma attacks and it only acts up when I'm sick. I've always been suspicious of prescribed meds, and this confirms my suspicions for me.

2. My 3 year old daughter is out of school for 2 days because of staff development day, which means I can't get to the gym until Wednesday at the earliest.

However, I'm still going to start the eating right part of my transformation. At least I'll be able to do that until I can kick this cold.