Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #1  

Default "I use to be fat"

Has anyone watched this documentary on MTV? (airs on Wed nights at 9pm Central). Basicailly it's these overweight people who lose ridiculous amounts of weight (I"m talking 90-100lbs) in 3-4 MONTHS!! Yes Months!! It's not smokes and mirrors either. THey don't really tell u what their eating on their diets and what exactly they do for working out, but they show bits and pieces of it. But it is actually a HUGE weight loss in 3-4 months.

Anyways, last night the girl weighed 250 starting and 89 DAYS later she weighed 160 at her goal. I would really like to know how this is possible.

I know on this MRC program you can only work out 5 hours a week supposably, but is there really a limit to working out? How can they put a limit on it..I mean working out is GOOD! I want to work out more, but in the back of my mind I feel like it will sabatoge my mrc plan.

What do you do for your workouts? Would anyone be willing to share their workout routine. What they do, for how long and how many days a week?

I want to start shedding the pounds!
Glammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

to keep things incredibly simple, if you workout too much on the MRC diet, you *may* stress your body out to the point that you are unable to lose any fat.... this is VERY low calorie/low carb.....working out adds stress, and overtraining and undereating are very real, very SERIOUS conditions. I lost my menstruation withinm 3 months of starting MRC and i still havent got it back.... 18 months ago!!

when it scome to fat loss (which i what you want, right?) diet is EVERYTHING, Diet is 100% of the equation, PURELY where fat loss is concerned
I continued to train for and run marathons on this diet, and now im paying the consequences..... cant lose fat, will never have children again, a tumor growing on my pituitary (benign) and YES, they are all linked
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #3  
Started Aug 2010

S/C/G: 263/150/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glammy View Post
Has anyone watched this documentary on MTV? (airs on Wed nights at 9pm Central). Basicailly it's these overweight people who lose ridiculous amounts of weight (I"m talking 90-100lbs) in 3-4 MONTHS!! Yes Months!! It's not smokes and mirrors either. THey don't really tell u what their eating on their diets and what exactly they do for working out, but they show bits and pieces of it. But it is actually a HUGE weight loss in 3-4 months.

Anyways, last night the girl weighed 250 starting and 89 DAYS later she weighed 160 at her goal. I would really like to know how this is possible.

I know on this MRC program you can only work out 5 hours a week supposably, but is there really a limit to working out? How can they put a limit on it..I mean working out is GOOD! I want to work out more, but in the back of my mind I feel like it will sabatoge my mrc plan.

What do you do for your workouts? Would anyone be willing to share their workout routine. What they do, for how long and how many days a week?

I want to start shedding the pounds!

Debi, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this--

The only reason MRC limits workouts to a certain degree is because of how restrictive the meal plans are. If you work out to much/too strenuously and don't take in enough calories, your body goes into starvation mode and/or you lose lean muscle mass instead of fat. If you prefer to work out more than the 5 hours a week, they can move you to a meal plan that's designed for that-- I believe it's called Metabalance.

When I first started on program (when the weather was nicer), I walked 2 (sometimes 3) times a week with my sister. After I lost about 10-15 lbs, I started attending 1-hour yoga classes twice a week, and I would sometimes walk or bike once a week in addition to that. Now, I am attending yoga twice a week, and I'm making more of an effort to bike/walk/run at the gym at least one other day during the week. My goal is to get up to exercising 4-5 times per week by this spring, including yoga, a cardio class like zumba, and running/biking/lifting weights.

It's not that I CAN'T work out more (other than time/schedule constraints), it's that I didn't enjoy it when I first started the program, and if I don't enjoy it, I start to sabotage myself. The more I lose, the more energy and endurance I seem to have and the more I actually enjoy working out. Eventually, if/when my workouts surpass the calories I'm taking in and my weight loss stalls, I will probably switch to the metabalance meal plan. Until then, I'm just going to ease into it and keep doing what works for as long as it works.

The pounds will come off--as Debi always says, this plan works as long as you work the plan. You just have to be patient and remember that really FAST weight losses--like what you see on TV reality shows--while possible, really aren't healthy or easy to maintain (unless you're rich and can afford a personal chef/trainer to practically live with you and stay on top of you). It's not just about the weight loss--it's also about behavior modification and, for some, dealing with some psychological issues. And all of that takes time. That's why we usually describe this as a journey--because you don't want it to be a quick trip/vacation, as then you'll just be returning to your old lifestyle when it's over.
teacherlady79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #4  
Started Aug 2010

S/C/G: 263/150/195

Height: 5'5"

Here's what "Biggest Loser" trainer Bob says about it:

To me, what I think, you look at any kind of diet plan, any kind of book that’s ever been out there, you’re going to see practically an 80 percent failure rate. I think that we’re kind of around a 50-50 percent rate. What I think it is that people realize that after the cameras are gone, or after you’ve reached your “goal weight” that you can go back to your old life. And people have to divorce themselves from the lives that they used to live.

I think that is where the major disconnect happens with so many people, not just the people on our show. Ask anybody that loses weight on any kind of plan and then gains it back. It’s a day-to-day effort. I mean, I’m in this business and I have to make sure that I’m fit, I’m as healthy as I can possibly be. And there are times when it’s really annoying and exhausting.

[By the time of the finale, the contestants have usually done some extra hardcore training to prepare for the finale, and everyone is super svelte and super pumped – is that realistic?]

You have to remember they’re playing a game at that point. The people looking to win that cash prize; they’re going to come in thinner than they probably should be. That’s something you’re not going to be able to maintain with this kind of rigorous training. It becomes that maintenance after the show, where you really hope that whatever you’ve thrown at them, something has stuck so you had the tools that you need. People like [season five contestant] Ally, the first girl that won. That girl looks better now than she did at the finale.

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-hu...ob-harper.html
teacherlady79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I only saw the first episode with Gabriella but the one thing to remember is she is 18. At 18 I could eat like a 300 lb football player and I wasn't too overweight. The younger you are the easier it is to lose weight.

Gabrielle did it over a summer, she only had work and no other commitments, she also stuck to a rigorous workout routine with a very strict diet. I think she stuck with lots of lean protein, fruits, and veggies.

While it is possible to achieve very fast results it's going to be through a lot of hard work, proper diet (no starving yourself), and patience. It takes years to pile on the pounds it may take a year or so to lose it all. I wish I could lose that fast but for me it just hasn't been possible and I'm okay with it.

I also know that for me, I may not be at goal weight but I'm healthier than I have been in years.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #6  
Dit250

I was feeling the same way about these episodes... How can a person lose that much weight so quickly? It seems impossible. Can they keep it off? it's like 30 lbs a month...yikes. I do get angry that MTV can't show exactly how they lost the weight. We know they dieted and exercised like crazy, but we saw more of the whining and crying parts of their jouneys. I like the show, but I too wish they'd show more of the techniques used to achieve such a great weight loss.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/198/127

Height: 5"4

On the MTV show, each of them don't have any other obligations that would interfere with their weight loss because they are only 17 and 18 years old. They are on a very restrictive diet, and they have to work out for at least 4 hours a day, more often they work out for 6 hours a day. My friend is the film editor for that show, and that was one of the first questions that I asked him when I saw it. So yes, it is possible, but you really can't have anything else in your life going in to be able to drop that much weight that quickly. Also, because they were all 230+ lbs, it makes it easier to lose more weight in a quicker amount of time...
milasmommy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #8  

Hmm, I'll definally check this out. But I agree diet is the most important, and "exercise is good" to a certain extent! I think someone could exercise hours (minutes at time) if they take long breaks and eat in between. But I wonder if their former fat body wasn't aching from it. Thanks for sharing.
Anne333 is offline   Reply With Quote