Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #1  
Time to move!

S/C/G: 197/see ticker /140

Height: 5' 2 3/4"

Red face How awful is occasional caffeine?

I have been on the program for 34 days. I've followed it religiously. I've lost 14 pounds and 20 inches and I am DELIGHTED. I don't crave sweets or sodas or carbs for that matter. What I would dearly love is to be able to order an OCCASIONAL cup of high-test coffee. I bought a bag of Starbucks decaffeinated Sumatra beans, and the coffee tastes lovely, but it is just missing something. How terrible would it be to have a regular cup now and then? I'm not convinced that is is a critical violation, and I don't see how it would contribute to too much water retention. I am not talking about making this a daily habit, just for coffee on Sunday mornings, for example, on the way to church. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Also, I'm usually so full of water that the bottle of Diet Rite and the bottle of Sprite Zero I bought are still unopened. I'm doing 4 HNS a day plus Cortitrim/MRC 6 plus the required supplements. So I don't have a lot of "room" for coffee on a frequent basis either.
ladystarrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 330.5/see ticker/258.5

Height: 5'9.5

one simple answer. Its not. My counsleor has told me many times, go ahead and have it as long as you dont go and eat donuts or other high fat stuff with it. I have it once a day, either coffee or tea.
nabeelmalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/179/140

Height: 5'4

I agree, it's not. I bought myself a Keurig K cup machine when I started so I wouldn't have too much or indulge in other stuff. No harm, no foul.
jenkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6''

It won't derail you as long as it doesn't make you eat "coffee house food" with it. Although...I was never ever caffeine sensitive before MRC and now that I've "detoxed" from it (used to have a cup a day or a diet soda a day), I am SUPER sensitive. Keeps me up at night if I drink it with dinner, which is wouldn't have before, so i watch it for that reason though.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/262/180 ish

I have been without caffeine for 65 days and have lost almost 40 lbs. I am scared it will slow my weight loss down, and I am on a high right now with my results. My gal at the center told me caffeine blocks fat from being burned, so that was enough to convince me not to have it. This is just my story and everyones different. But you have done a great job so far I would hate to see you not get the results you want, from "a cup of coffee".
Keep up the great work !
Ang2877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #6  

I'd be interesting in seeing the science behind caffeine blocking fat from being burned. Caffeine is a stimulant, but I can't see how it would block fat from being burned.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 310/262/180 ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkatt View Post
I'd be interesting in seeing the science behind caffeine blocking fat from being burned. Caffeine is a stimulant, but I can't see how it would block fat from being burned.
Like I said thats just what I was told. You can ask your center for more information.

Also in our protocol and guidelines paper it states that the menus have been formulated to give you a particular combination of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. If you substitute or move foods you will get an entirely different combination that will result in a slower or no weight loss. To achieve maximum results, check each meal against your weight loss plan.

They also state that we may enjoy caffeine free sodium free diet soda. And that you may have all the decaffeinated coffee or tea you like.

All of these things taken out of this diet will eventually come back to us when are bodies have reached their goal. In the mean time I CHOOSE to follow what the MRC suggest because I am paying to loose all my weight as planned.

Like I stated earlier... everyone can and will do what they want. And I was going off of my personal experience.
Ang2877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang2877 View Post
Like I said thats just what I was told. You can ask your center for more information.

Also in our protocol and guidelines paper it states that the menus have been formulated to give you a particular combination of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. If you substitute or move foods you will get an entirely different combination that will result in a slower or no weight loss. To achieve maximum results, check each meal against your weight loss plan.

They also state that we may enjoy caffeine free sodium free diet soda. And that you may have all the decaffeinated coffee or tea you like.

All of these things taken out of this diet will eventually come back to us when are bodies have reached their goal. In the mean time I CHOOSE to follow what the MRC suggest because I am paying to loose all my weight as planned.

Like I stated earlier... everyone can and will do what they want. And I was going off of my personal experience.
Didn't mean to put you on the defense, just wondering what the science is. Especially since they say no caffeine (for whatever reason) but it's in their supplements. (The all day weight loss for sure).
Me thinks caffeine might be ok if you buy it from them.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/193/158

Height: 5'5"

I wondered the same thing - at one of my weigh-ins, the consultant told me it was okay to have a cup of caffeinated coffee each day...I've been off caffeine for about a month now, and have had maybe 2-3 cups of regular coffee since then. I agree, decaf coffee is okay, but lacks a little something.
AngelaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #10  

Remember, consultants are not always right, and you certainly have the right to ask for clarification. The first time I did MRC, I lost 55 pounds in not quite 5 months. They never told me I wasn't losing fast enough, were always very complimentary. I never ate food off program, but I did drink Diet Mt Dew and decaf coffee with sugar-free vanilla creamer the whole time. Now, saying that, remember everyone's body is different, not everyone will lose at the same rate, and this program does NOT provide the same speed of weight loss for everyone, even for people who never eat off program. All of the advertising they do says average 2-5 pounds per week.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 232/193/158

Height: 5'5"

Oh how I would love a diet Mt. Dew! That was my drink of choice!
AngelaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 222 / see tracker / 150

Height: 5'5'

I think they say no caffeine because by taking out caffeine, it removes any temptation for old habits. IE: soda, coffee with cream and sugar and any other caffeine related ritual that we might use as a crutch.

Yes, the enhancers DO have caffeine and no, there's no scientific evidence that caffeine hinders weight loss.

The way I interpret this is if you don't have an issue getting into habits like drinking tons of soda or drinking coffee with cream and sugar, then an occasional caffeinated drink will not impact your weight loss. But if you pour yourself a cup and then say "it's just a little cream or sugar, what will it hurt", you'll see exactly why they say no to caffeine. There have been a couple of occasions where I've wanted a diet coke with a meal, but because caffeine free diet coke is so dang hard to find, i've ended up just drinking water instead - which is the whole point.

In fact, here are some notes from Mayo Clinic on the subject:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369
GoalAug2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #13  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

One of my consultants told me that caffeine acts as an appetite stimulant. That being said, I enjoy real coffee each morning. Got off of it for awhile, but have gone back. I just enjoy it first thing in the AM and no other time. I will never know if it cause me to slow down (cause I did), but am pleased with results so . . .

Anyway, read this:
Caffeine affects cravings for food because it raises the stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol raises heart rate, blood pressure and tells your body to increase its energy stores. This results in the body craving sweets. So if you're wondering why you snacked on cookies in the afternoon, it could have something to do with that coffee you drank with breakfast.

SOURCE:
http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Caff...nd_Weight_Gain
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 224/171/160

Height: 5'4"

I have lost 52 lbs in 5 months on MRC while drinking 1-2 cups of french roast coffee daily. It is not recommended but I am doing the MRC plan in ways that I can incorporate for my whole life, life coffee. While not recommended by MRC apparently my coffee intake has not affected my weight loss.
Cherokree is offline   Reply With Quote