Old 11-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #1  

Default tomato substitute- calling all cooks

is there a vegetable that I can substitute for tomato in chili? I don't care for the tomato HNS. My mom suggested red peppers? I know I can have green peppers- what about red peppers?

Also- are all cheeses on the plan? I thought it was just hard cheese but I'm craving Brie and didn't know if it was op.

Thanks!
NotaFatBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #2  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't know if pumpkin is OP for you, but I make chili and add canned pumpkin. I do use a little tomato juice also but I would guess you could do it without. This makes a thick chili and you can't even taste the pumpkin. I also make a chili using zucchini, again I don't know if this is OP and I use tomato juice in that also. Are looking for something with out any tomato including juice or just the diced tomato its self?

Last edited by Gelene; 11-15-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/160

Height: 5'0"

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaFatBride View Post
is there a vegetable that I can substitute for tomato in chili? I don't care for the tomato HNS. My mom suggested red peppers? I know I can have green peppers- what about red peppers?

Also- are all cheeses on the plan? I thought it was just hard cheese but I'm craving Brie and didn't know if it was op.

Thanks!
I, too, don't care for the tomato supplement. I use a spice mix that's made here in Lincoln -- Opa O's (www.opaos.com). It was originally made as a sloppy joe mix and contains no sugar and no salt. For chilli, I just added some more spices...cumin, tumeric, ground corriander, then just added some water and let it simmer for a bit.

Hard cheeses are on the plan. Brie is too soft, though. Sorry!
Phat not Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #4  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaFatBride View Post
Also- are all cheeses on the plan? I thought it was just hard cheese but I'm craving Brie and didn't know if it was op. Thanks!
As JJ stated, brie is not on plan but there are lots of hard cheeses with flavor - you can cut them up and mix with a little cottage cheese in food processor to make yourself a 'soft cheese' to go on the melba crackers or such.

As for red peppers, there are more sugars in them than in green peppers which is why they are not on plan (Pumpkin and winter squashes are not on program either until stabilization) but I don't see why you couldn't use real tomatoes in your chili - even canned no-salt puree if you can find it without added SUGAR. If you are going to use something that is off program, make the best choice you can - this is part of learning the new way of cooking for the rest of your life. Zucchini, or even eggplant is on program and could help so you don't use too many tomatoes in the chili - I'm getting inspired to make some chili now. Thanks, jeanette
reuselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

There is a chile recipe that is in the crockpot section of the cookbook. It calls for ground turkey, kidney beans, tom supp, and seasonings. You can only eat it at dinner but its GREAT! I never use the crock pot I just throw together till its cooked and eat right away. Enjoy!
daizy hotrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

Oh, I love my chili...and so easy and so filling. I use the creamy tomato (MRC's), and ground turkey. I add green onions, green pepper and chopped fresh tomatoes. I pour in part of a package of chili seasoning (no salt or sugar) I had 1/4 cup of gabanzo beans. It's best if you make it ahead and let it simmer, but it's also good if you want it right away too. It's one meal I look forward to. I heard MRC changed the Creamy Tomato to I think Tomato Basil....so I hope it still is good. Has anyone tried that yet?
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 219.5/see ticker/168

Height: 5'7"

Fifties Lady,

I have just joined MRC and was very apprehensive about trying the tomato supp as I see not many on here liked the creamy tomato. I have made the chili p102 of the cookbook last week using the tomato basil supp and absolutely LOVED IT! It is my new favorite recipe
leigh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #8  
Denise

S/C/G: 354/ticker/183

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh34 View Post
Fifties Lady,

I have just joined MRC and was very apprehensive about trying the tomato supp as I see not many on here liked the creamy tomato. I have made the chili p102 of the cookbook last week using the tomato basil supp and absolutely LOVED IT! It is my new favorite recipe
The tomato basil supplement replaced the tomato supplement and you're right, it's great!!!! Everyone should try it.... It's so good!
namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225.5/186/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste View Post
The tomato basil supplement replaced the tomato supplement and you're right, it's great!!!! Everyone should try it.... It's so good!
Thanks for the information. I'm new to the program and will give it a try.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

This is great news about the new Tomato Basil....they said at the center that it was very good. I am purchasing some tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #11  

Thanks! I'll have to try the new tomato basil. It's all of this cold Colorado weather- making me crave hearty foods. Zucchini is on my plan so I'll have to give that a try. I'm not sure about pumpkin- I'm definitely going to have to look into it. You all rock!
NotaFatBride is offline   Reply With Quote