Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/164/140

Height: 5'8

Default Help, Working Out/Running Advice

I started preconditioning a Sept. 8th (day after Labor Day ) and have gone thru the yellow menu and I'm now on my blue...I am only staying 3 days on each because I have been training for a race which is this Sunday and with such little caloric and carb intake I can barely run a mile when before the diet I was running 6-7 miles at a time! I am so excited to start the green menu on Friday. Does anyone think this will still be enough nutrition to get me thru 5 miles and altitude? I almost cried this morning when I had to stop and walk after 6 minutes. It's bittersweet because I have lost 8lbs since preconditioning so I am so excited about that but it's also so depressing for all the hard work I have put in over the past couple months training for this specific race. I don't know if anyone can relate or has had similar experiences with working out. Any tips? Any ideas on what I can eat off the green menu on Friday and Saturday to get thru the race on Sunday? Also, I am going to be out of town so we will be eating at restaurants which makes it a little more challenging
gish24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish24 View Post
I started preconditioning a Sept. 8th (day after Labor Day ) and have gone thru the yellow menu and I'm now on my blue...I am only staying 3 days on each because I have been training for a race which is this Sunday and with such little caloric and carb intake I can barely run a mile when before the diet I was running 6-7 miles at a time! I am so excited to start the green menu on Friday. Does anyone think this will still be enough nutrition to get me thru 5 miles and altitude? I almost cried this morning when I had to stop and walk after 6 minutes. It's bittersweet because I have lost 8lbs since preconditioning so I am so excited about that but it's also so depressing for all the hard work I have put in over the past couple months training for this specific race. I don't know if anyone can relate or has had similar experiences with working out. Any tips? Any ideas on what I can eat off the green menu on Friday and Saturday to get thru the race on Sunday? Also, I am going to be out of town so we will be eating at restaurants which makes it a little more challenging
Just curious, did you discuss your athletic lifestyle with the MRC counselor when you signed up...as there are different eating plans for individuals with different needs...not all centers do a great job identifying the true needs of the client...my experience has been a trying one but finally I am on the correct plan for the changes I have made over the past 6 months...I was on the Meta Slim (Green), which I believe you are going to be on after you complete the blue menu...I started becoming a runner and now run 12-15 miles a week with the goal of 18-20 in the next month... finally after complaining to my counselor that I hit a wall every time I ran plus dragging my body around all day...I was switched to the Meta Balance menu, and what a difference it has made for me, I was in starvation mode on the green menu because I was burning 500-600 calories a run...the first week on Meta Balance 4 pds just dropped off me even though I was eating differently, and having 3 snacks. My center has explained that clients who are athletic, runners, softball players, and diabetics are given the Meta Balance plan because their bodies have different needs that is difficult on the Meta Slim plan, because it is not as balanced throughout the day. I too am training for a 5K next weekend and have increased my pace...I could not have done this 2 weeks ago on the Meta Slim. My center has now changed my status from regular female to athlete in calculating my muscle, fat and water percentages...what a difference...I went down 6% in fat alone and my muscle when up. We are now going to continue to compare...because when I began the program I certainly was not an athlete and only picked up running 6 months ago. Good luck!
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

i am currently training (at the peak training) for the Denver MArathon. I run approx 60 to 65 miles a week on top of 3 one hr Personal training sessions. I have been on the meta slim menu the entire time, and had no problems (other than REALLY slow weight loss, prob because of how hard i workout. On the days i have REALLY long runs (like 20 miles) i will eat an extra MRC allowe Carb for diner, and i will eat extra carb at breakfast before the run. I eat everything they will ALLOW (including splenda, chewing gum, etc) and i tend to chose the higher calories foods (like apples vs cantelopes). I am on week 6 of stabilization now though, so almost done. I havent had any real problems. Maybe my body is used to operating under stress?? Maybe i would have reached goal alot sooner?? The only thing that i noticed was first, it took a little while to get used to running on an empty stomach (before breakfast-- i run REALLY early, like 2 30 am to 4 am, so i eat breakfast at work) and on heavy workout days (like when i run 12 miles before work AND have personal training) i will be REALLY hungry all day.... im sure none of this helps, just my experience. Maybe you need to give your body time to adjust ??
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #4  

I am trying to do the "quote" thing but can't figure it out for some reason on this message board...but GWE140, when I went in for my consultation I explained to her that I was hesitent to start the program before this race and told her how much I was working out. I burn an average of 500-600 on run days and 600-800 on run/weight days. On Sunday I burned 1300 calories by "trying" to do a five mile run, washing my car, running errands...and I only intook 750 calories all day! Needless to say Monday I was dragging. I went in on Monday and explained my delemia and they gave me my blue menu to start early...no mention of another program or anything that can help me. I'm worried #1 that I am going to go into starvation mode and #2 that this is going to slow my weight loss. I guess after the race I can tone down my training and do just what I need for the maximum results but I just need to do something before Sunday to kick my butt into high energy mode!...Do I cheat and have some pasta on Saturday night?

mkroyer-you are an inspiration! I wish that I loved running that much! I am running in the Zooma 5 mile run on Sunday in Denver and my friend is running the 1/2 marathon. I think I will take your lead on eating the higher calorie foods that I am allowed for the remainder of the week...On your plan do you have to eat within 1 hour of waking up in the morning? That is what the woman and the center told me...I told her that on work days I wake up at 5 and go to the gym...I can't eat and then wait and then go to the gym or I would be there at the same times as you Just curious!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #5  

Quote:
I am trying to do the "quote" thing but can't figure it out for some reason on this message board...but GWE140, when I went in for my consultation I explained to her that I was hesitent to start the program before this race and told her how much I was working out. I burn an average of 500-600 on run days and 600-800 on run/weight days. On Sunday I burned 1300 calories by "trying" to do a five mile run, washing my car, running errands...and I only intook 750 calories all day! Needless to say Monday I was dragging. I went in on Monday and explained my delemia and they gave me my blue menu to start early...no mention of another program or anything that can help me. I'm worried #1 that I am going to go into starvation mode and #2 that this is going to slow my weight loss. I guess after the race I can tone down my training and do just what I need for the maximum results but I just need to do something before Sunday to kick my butt into high energy mode!...Do I cheat and have some pasta on Saturday night?

mkroyer-you are an inspiration! I wish that I loved running that much! I am running in the Zooma 5 mile run on Sunday in Denver and my friend is running the 1/2 marathon. I think I will take your lead on eating the higher calorie foods that I am allowed for the remainder of the week...On your plan do you have to eat within 1 hour of waking up in the morning? That is what the woman and the center told me...I told her that on work days I wake up at 5 and go to the gym...I can't eat and then wait and then go to the gym or I would be there at the same times as you Just curious!
Gish24 - to quote just click the little quote box in the tread you are wanting to quote and it will bring up the box for you to comment in...

as for cheating before the race to carb load, this is a hard one, you are going to have to decide what is best for you for that day, the race or WI. As I am sure you know all of this... the bulk of energy we use during a run comes from the carbohydrates we eat, but our bodies also burns fat and protein, however when we run our muscles need energy fast, and carbohydrates are easily and quickly converted, the harder we run the more our bodies rely on carbs for fuel. What I have read is if you run longer than an hour the runner is better off eating foods with a low glycemic index number (banana, pasta), which provides a prolonged and steady supply of glucose (energy) for the muscles because they do not break down as quickly as the high index carbs ...well I do exactly as mkroyer stated, I only eat high carb fruits, apples etc before I run...on the Meta Balance you are allowed two carbs as snacks between breadkfast/lunch and lunch/dinner...one fruit, one starch and a dairy at night. I run mid morning, an hour after having my apple and HNS. If you look in the back of the cookbook, if you have it, and it lists the carb contents of allowed fruits etc. Maybe you can take with you energy gels during the race if you hit a wall...I know they are not on plan but seriously it is one day and you do not want to injure yourself. I just do not know how mkroyer could manage her activity level and remain strong...no offense just amazement! We are all so different and need to find the correct combination of diet and exercise that works for us.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

I DONT eat within one hour of waking up..i cant!! That would mean id eat breakfast at like 3 am or even 4 am, then have to go all the way till NOON for lunch!! Ive just taught myself to run on an empty stomach (that was the hardest thing for me on this diet). The general consensus is you only need to "carbo load" if your going to be running for more than 1.5 hours, give or take...... if you were running the half marathon, you might want to consider a little bit of carbo loading. I dont carbo load at all unless i run at least 15-20, and even then it is only minimal, and always just making use of items we ARE allowed on plan...such as a whole banana instead of half a banana, or two pieces of bread, instead of one, etc. So you are still on the yellow menu, and now the blue?? That is your problem....theres no calories on those menus!!! as soon as you move up to green you will feel better...PROMISE...but it will still take some getting used to becuase it is still so calorie restrictive..... As far as running gels...if you were already firmly entrenched into the green menu, i would say go ahead and use a running goo/gel if you need to. However, the point of the yellow and blue menus is to help rid your body of sugar, and get you going into ketosis. even ONE of those running gels will throw that completely out of whack (they are 100% sugar, usually approx 25 grams sugar per serving) is it possible to wait till AFTER your race, and then start over from the yellow menu, day one?? I think that is your best best if this is something that is seriously concerning you. You would only be put back a week or two.....
BTW, im thinking of doing the zooma half on sunday!!! im supposed to run 12 miles that day, so 13.1 would be nice, and i ALWAYS would prefer to do any of my runs as races...so much more interesting....
Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #7  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

oh you runners, so awesome

i maintain a pretty rigorous exercise schedule, and since no one at my center has brought up the meta balance plan (and i haven't worked up the nerve to bring it up myself) i've just tried to add in a few extra calories here and there on the days i work out--for example, 5 or 6 melba rounds instead of 4 at breakfast, or maybe an extra half-ounce of protein... i know it's probably not the best way to do things but i'm hoping it turns out OK because i'm really not willing to give up my exercise!! i need it to stay sane, hehe
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:08 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
I DONT eat within one hour of waking up..i cant!! That would mean id eat breakfast at like 3 am or even 4 am, then have to go all the way till NOON for lunch!! Ive just taught myself to run on an empty stomach (that was the hardest thing for me on this diet). The general consensus is you only need to "carbo load" if your going to be running for more than 1.5 hours, give or take...... if you were running the half marathon, you might want to consider a little bit of carbo loading. I dont carbo load at all unless i run at least 15-20, and even then it is only minimal, and always just making use of items we ARE allowed on plan...such as a whole banana instead of half a banana, or two pieces of bread, instead of one, etc. So you are still on the yellow menu, and now the blue?? That is your problem....theres no calories on those menus!!! as soon as you move up to green you will feel better...PROMISE...but it will still take some getting used to becuase it is still so calorie restrictive..... As far as running gels...if you were already firmly entrenched into the green menu, i would say go ahead and use a running goo/gel if you need to. However, the point of the yellow and blue menus is to help rid your body of sugar, and get you going into ketosis. even ONE of those running gels will throw that completely out of whack (they are 100% sugar, usually approx 25 grams sugar per serving) is it possible to wait till AFTER your race, and then start over from the yellow menu, day one?? I think that is your best best if this is something that is seriously concerning you. You would only be put back a week or two.....
BTW, im thinking of doing the zooma half on sunday!!! im supposed to run 12 miles that day, so 13.1 would be nice, and i ALWAYS would prefer to do any of my runs as races...so much more interesting....
You truly are amazing, I tried running am before breakfast and just could not do it...I am guessing as my weight get closer to the 140's instead of the 200+,when I stated running, my body will react differently and I will be able to perform as an athlete and not a struggling runner.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

If I run in the am, I have an HNS prior to leaving but no breakfast otherwise. I get acid reflux and occasionally will vomit while running if I eat beforehand. Never had it happen in am but sometimes happens after dinner runs if I don't wait long enough between eating and running. With it getting dark earlier, I'm getting less and less time between these and will eventually have to swap dinner time with running time. I am so hungry when I get home that it's hard to cook for everyone else and then leave for my run, plus we like to have dinner together as a family so that adds to the conflict. I would love to run in the am but am not very motivated to get up early enough for that... something to consider though.

As for hitting a wall, I'm not sure what that feels like but I can say that last night I ran 30 min and was done, I just couldn't go another step, totally drained and even a little lightheaded. I called it for the night and headed in a little disappointed. I've changed to Metabalance plan as of today, we'll see what that does for my energy... I've already noticed that at least I'm not hungry! Maybe b/c I weigh 195, my body is struggling w/the extreme calorie restriction and my recent increase in running from 2.25 miles to 3 miles 3 times a week, I don't know. What I know is I felt like I was starving over the last few weeks and struggling with losses as well. I'm hoping this was a positive change :0) I'll keep you posted.
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen1234 View Post
If I run in the am, I have an HNS prior to leaving but no breakfast otherwise. I get acid reflux and occasionally will vomit while running if I eat beforehand. Never had it happen in am but sometimes happens after dinner runs if I don't wait long enough between eating and running. With it getting dark earlier, I'm getting less and less time between these and will eventually have to swap dinner time with running time. I am so hungry when I get home that it's hard to cook for everyone else and then leave for my run, plus we like to have dinner together as a family so that adds to the conflict. I would love to run in the am but am not very motivated to get up early enough for that... something to consider though.

As for hitting a wall, I'm not sure what that feels like but I can say that last night I ran 30 min and was done, I just couldn't go another step, totally drained and even a little lightheaded. I called it for the night and headed in a little disappointed. I've changed to Metabalance plan as of today, we'll see what that does for my energy... I've already noticed that at least I'm not hungry! Maybe b/c I weigh 195, my body is struggling w/the extreme calorie restriction and my recent increase in running from 2.25 miles to 3 miles 3 times a week, I don't know. What I know is I felt like I was starving over the last few weeks and struggling with losses as well. I'm hoping this was a positive change :0) I'll keep you posted.
Karen, Let me know how the Meta Balance works for you...I had a little difficulty with not having the HNS with my meals...but so far I have adjusted well and am continuing to drop pounds, have energy and not hungry! All very important! - Genell
Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWE140 View Post
Gish24 - to quote just click the little quote box in the tread you are wanting to quote and it will bring up the box for you to comment in...

as for cheating before the race to carb load, this is a hard one, you are going to have to decide what is best for you for that day, the race or WI. As I am sure you know all of this... the bulk of energy we use during a run comes from the carbohydrates we eat, but our bodies also burns fat and protein, however when we run our muscles need energy fast, and carbohydrates are easily and quickly converted, the harder we run the more our bodies rely on carbs for fuel. What I have read is if you run longer than an hour the runner is better off eating foods with a low glycemic index number (banana, pasta), which provides a prolonged and steady supply of glucose (energy) for the muscles because they do not break down as quickly as the high index carbs ...well I do exactly as mkroyer stated, I only eat high carb fruits, apples etc before I run...on the Meta Balance you are allowed two carbs as snacks between breadkfast/lunch and lunch/dinner...one fruit, one starch and a dairy at night. I run mid morning, an hour after having my apple and HNS. If you look in the back of the cookbook, if you have it, and it lists the carb contents of allowed fruits etc. Maybe you can take with you energy gels during the race if you hit a wall...I know they are not on plan but seriously it is one day and you do not want to injure yourself. I just do not know how mkroyer could manage her activity level and remain strong...no offense just amazement! We are all so different and need to find the correct combination of diet and exercise that works for us.

Thanks, it worked! I guess I will just eat how my green menu says just eating the higher carb foods and cross my fingers!
Was anyone else told by your center that you have to eat within 1 hour of waking up and then every 5 hours after that (lunch 5 hours after breakfast, etc.) and that you HNS used as a snack can buy you another 2 hours? I just haven't seen any posts about anything like this and sometimes it feels hard to stick to. Anyone? Also, is anyone hungry in between meals? I hear so many people say that they are not hungry anymore but I am counting the minutes that I can have my HNS or a meal to stay within my time frames. Help!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #12  

Quote:
Thanks, it worked! I guess I will just eat how my green menu says just eating the higher carb foods and cross my fingers!
Was anyone else told by your center that you have to eat within 1 hour of waking up and then every 5 hours after that (lunch 5 hours after breakfast, etc.) and that you HNS used as a snack can buy you another 2 hours? I just haven't seen any posts about anything like this and sometimes it feels hard to stick to. Anyone? Also, is anyone hungry in between meals? I hear so many people say that they are not hungry anymore but I am counting the minutes that I can have my HNS or a meal to stay within my time frames. Help!
No, I was never told when to eat etc. But that I could drink up to 5 HNS a day if I needed to. I forgot to mention in the beginning I started taking the MRC Liquid Minerals and this helped me out a lot with the energy issue...some say it hasn't made much of a difference for them, but for me a difference worth paying the $13 or so for a bottle, and I still continue to take it.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #13  
Tellin' it like it is!

i was STARVING in the beginning! I too counted the minutes till i could eat agina.......it gets better...once (IF) you get into ketosis, that will help, an dyour body will just get used to it too
Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #14  
Teresa

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default timing of meals and snacks(HNS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWE140 View Post
No, I was never told when to eat etc. But that I could drink up to 5 HNS a day if I needed to. I forgot to mention in the beginning I started taking the MRC Liquid Minerals and this helped me out a lot with the energy issue...some say it hasn't made much of a difference for them, but for me a difference worth paying the $13 or so for a bottle, and I still continue to take it.
I'm really surprised that you weren't told when to eat. That was one of the first things they told us and they keep making sure my timing is right. We were told to eat withing an hour of getting up, or have HNS and then eat breakfast within two hours, and never go more than 5 hours in between. So I have breakfast within an hour, then have lunch 5 hours later then have HNS, then dinner within two hours after. The whole timeing thing is one of the most important things about this program from what I've been told and understand.
TeresaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 201/See ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Mkroyer - when you started stabilization, did you notice improvement in your endurance or how you felt when running? I've struggled the last couple of weeks with a lack of energy when working out. I was up to running (ok...jogging) 3 miles without stopping (including up some decent hills), and then about 2 weeks ago I couldn't do it anymore. My heart rate was up too high and I just felt exhausted. I have to walk for a couple of minutes, then start jogging again. Today I went to a step class at the gym, and my quad muscles burned out earlier than they were before. I'm also having more crampy muscles the last couple of weeks...even woke up one night with a quad muscle on the verge of a full cramp. My losses have really slowed the last few weeks. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in starvation mode? I'm only working out 4 days a week, but I go hard for an hour each time. I'm close to starting stabilization and am wondering if the extra foods/calories will help? Did you notice any improvement during Stabilization?
Succeed09 is offline   Reply With Quote