Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 182/164/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succeed09 View Post
Mkroyer - when you started stabilization, did you notice improvement in your endurance or how you felt when running? I've struggled the last couple of weeks with a lack of energy when working out. I was up to running (ok...jogging) 3 miles without stopping (including up some decent hills), and then about 2 weeks ago I couldn't do it anymore. My heart rate was up too high and I just felt exhausted. I have to walk for a couple of minutes, then start jogging again. Today I went to a step class at the gym, and my quad muscles burned out earlier than they were before. I'm also having more crampy muscles the last couple of weeks...even woke up one night with a quad muscle on the verge of a full cramp. My losses have really slowed the last few weeks. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in starvation mode? I'm only working out 4 days a week, but I go hard for an hour each time. I'm close to starting stabilization and am wondering if the extra foods/calories will help? Did you notice any improvement during Stabilization?

Yes! This is exactly what is happening to me! My heart rate is higher than usual and I haven't even ran close to what I usually am at that point. My legs feel like logs that I am trying to throw one in front of the other...and then they start to ache a little. Weird because, like I said before, I was running 6-7 miles at a time and this wasn't happening and now it is at mile 1.5! Could it be starvation mode? Obviously I am not getting enough calories (which they told me not to count).

TeresaG- My center told me that I could have an HNS before I work out and then I have to have breakfast 1 hour after it...We were trying to figure out why that specific HNS had to be 1 hour and all the others were 2. Your center told you that you can eat breakfast 2 hours after your HNS? How long after you wake up are you drinking it?
gish24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #17  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Ok..both of you with the heart rate and heavy legs thing...sounds to me like classic symptoms of being overtrained...especially the HR thing.... I know what the center says about taking the HNS before running in the am, if you dont eat breakfast right away, but to me, that is such a waste of an alloted HNS!! Protein BEFORE you work out doesnt do any good, as far as aiding muscle recovery and healing..i always drink one immediately AFTER i work out, and as a result, while i have lost tons of body fat, i have actually GAINED a few pounds of lean muscle mass...anyway...
My running HAS been improving since being in stabilization...but dont expect anything immediate,....it takes several weeks, like 4 or 5 weeks, before any SUBSTANTIAL additions are made (at least for the metaslim menu). its like a HALF a banana only 3X a week for one week, and then you get a HALF a bagel for one week, 3X durin the week, etc....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
Ok..both of you with the heart rate and heavy legs thing...sounds to me like classic symptoms of being overtrained...especially the HR thing.... I know what the center says about taking the HNS before running in the am, if you dont eat breakfast right away, but to me, that is such a waste of an alloted HNS!! Protein BEFORE you work out doesnt do any good, as far as aiding muscle recovery and healing..i always drink one immediately AFTER i work out, and as a result, while i have lost tons of body fat, i have actually GAINED a few pounds of lean muscle mass...anyway...
My running HAS been improving since being in stabilization...but dont expect anything immediate,....it takes several weeks, like 4 or 5 weeks, before any SUBSTANTIAL additions are made (at least for the metaslim menu). its like a HALF a banana only 3X a week for one week, and then you get a HALF a bagel for one week, 3X durin the week, etc....

Mkroyer & GWE,
what do you think qualifies one to be "athletic"? Another words, at what point would it be appropriate to ask that they do my Tanita with me as an athlete? I currently run about 10 miles a week, not impressive but this coming from being a couch potato 4-5 mo. ago to this is a pretty big deal to me. I am not doing much other exercise as far as toning/lifting. I need to though and plan to after a few weeks on this new plan with the extra calories to see how I do before adding another new thing. I'm trying to figure out if I needed the extra calories or not at this point so I'm keeping everything else the same while I change only the food plan. Truthfully, my center seems to not really know what to do for me, they usually just say "hmmm" that's good but no real tips or hints, specific directions on when to take protein supplements and despite knowing I'm running this much have never suggested changing my label to Athletic. Just looking for some opinions here or facts if you got them :0) Thanks, Karen
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #19  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

i'm wondering if it would be possible for one of you chicas on the meta balance plan to scan a copy of it and email it to me? if that's a possibility, i would REALLY appreciate it because i really think i'd like to give it a try...

although another question, i wonder if it's possible to do metaslim on days you don't work out and metabalance on days you do, just to make sure you have enough cals on workout days? would that throw things out of whack, do you think?

this is all very fascinating to me and i'm really very interested in finding something to do that will give me the energy i need to keep up with my workout schedule and still post big losses.
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahruthie View Post
i'm wondering if it would be possible for one of you chicas on the meta balance plan to scan a copy of it and email it to me? if that's a possibility, i would REALLY appreciate it because i really think i'd like to give it a try...

although another question, i wonder if it's possible to do metaslim on days you don't work out and metabalance on days you do, just to make sure you have enough cals on workout days? would that throw things out of whack, do you think?

this is all very fascinating to me and i'm really very interested in finding something to do that will give me the energy i need to keep up with my workout schedule and still post big losses.
OK, interesting thought I'll have to ask the counselor about... as far as the plan... GWE posted the details of the plan on one of the forums about 1-2 weeks ago, not sure which, maybe C25k? Warning though, Counselor said it could slow your weight loss to 1-2 lbs a week if it turns out you didn't need the extra calories after all. We're trying a 4 day trial with me to see what happens... I'll keep you informed and I'll have to ask that q about day on/off based on exercise routine. I'm also going to try my run again tonight, so far I feel good today and think I should be able to make the full run, pushing for 3.5 miles this time.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #21  
Tellin' it like it is!

i dont think you get any extra CARBS or food on metabalance..they just break up the meals..instead of 3 squares, you get 3 smaller meals, and two snacks...but the same exact foods and quantities...Correct?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
i dont think you get any extra CARBS or food on metabalance..they just break up the meals..instead of 3 squares, you get 3 smaller meals, and two snacks...but the same exact foods and quantities...Correct?

Actually you get 2 dairy servings added to plan, 1 at breakfast one at dinner (string cheese, yogurt, 1 c. skim milk, 1 c. soy milk) and HNS are snacks rather than meals and with these between meal snacks you get a fruit at mid am and 1 starch at mid afternoon.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #23  
Tellin' it like it is!

Karen--- MRC defines ATHLETE as any individual who works out vigorously at LEAST 10 HOURS a week or more, and has been doing it consistently for a year (or 2, or more)....hope that helps! BTW if they DO measure you as an aathlete on the tanita, dont be suprised when your BF % drops by at least 3 %!! The athlete algorithm used vs the normal person algorithm used are different. The "normal" person calculation pads woman with an additional 3% that it considers to be "essential fat" . It will also spit out things like Lean Body Mass.....its all just done using different formulas. When measured as an athlete, it just spits out your total punds of fat, and your total FFM, or Fat Free Mass....then gives you a percentage of BF......
Old 09-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #24  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen1234 View Post
OK, interesting thought I'll have to ask the counselor about... as far as the plan... GWE posted the details of the plan on one of the forums about 1-2 weeks ago, not sure which, maybe C25k? Warning though, Counselor said it could slow your weight loss to 1-2 lbs a week if it turns out you didn't need the extra calories after all. We're trying a 4 day trial with me to see what happens... I'll keep you informed and I'll have to ask that q about day on/off based on exercise routine. I'm also going to try my run again tonight, so far I feel good today and think I should be able to make the full run, pushing for 3.5 miles this time.
FOUND IT! thanks for reminding me

definitely keep me posted as to what they say about modifying on a day-by-day basis, because really on days i don't exercise, i don't think i would need any of those extra calories, but days that i do exercise, it would be very cool to add that stuff in!! thanks for all the help
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 0/62/67

Height: 5'5"

Okay, so I spoke to my center last week re: exercise, running, etc. and here is what they told me. If I want to start running they will have to switch me to another menu that includes more food & snacks between meals. They said this is a necessity. They said you will experience a long plateau or slow weight loss if you are exercising too much and not getting enough food. I agreed to cut back for now and see how it goes. Since you are trainning make sure they are giving you the right menu. You don't have to tell them where you heard about the Meta-Balance menu, or tell them you were talking to a friend that is on MRC and that they are on the athletic menu. They work for you so don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
E4FEwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #26  

Height: 5'9"

I wanted to add and make a clarification that on the Meta Balance menu the Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner meals quantities are less than the green menu ie...1 oz cheese, 1 egg,- 3oz meat- 6oz salad -3oz cooked veggies...
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #27  

I wasn't given a number of hours of exercise by my counselor to determine what qualifies as an athlete...After nearly an hour of consulting and checking with MRC documents it was determined that I should be considered an athlete for tanita...and as I mentioned on a different thread it showed a 6% fat loss immediately...but we will continue to check both...for fun.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWE140 View Post
I wanted to add and make a clarification that on the Meta Balance menu the Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner meals quantities are less than the green menu ie...1 oz cheese, 1 egg,- 3oz meat- 6oz salad -3oz cooked veggies...
Hmmm... not on my plan - Meta Balance, Level 1 - Does yours give a level?

The menu I have is as follows:

B: 1 protein, starch, dairy
Mid morning snack: HNS with 4 oz juice or 1 fruit serving OR one MRB
L: 1 protein, 1 veg, 1 fruit
Mid afternoon snack: HNS and 1 starch or MRB
Dinner: 1 protein, 1 1/2 vegetable servings (4 oz cooked, 4 oz raw), 1 starch
Evening Snack: HNS mixed with 1 dairy serving or one MRB

Proteins are the same as green menu - 2 oz hard cheese, 1 egg w/ 1 oz hard cheese, 2 med eggs, 2 egg whites & 1 egg yolk, 3 egg whites, 4 oz LF cottage cheese

Interesting...

And thanks for the answers on athlete vs. not athlete... It will be interesting to find out what the center says... It's kin of scary how inconsistent the info is between centers but the truth is alot of is interpretation by consultant and the client I'm sure.

Last edited by Karen1234; 09-17-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by E4FEwife View Post
Okay, so I spoke to my center last week re: exercise, running, etc. and here is what they told me. If I want to start running they will have to switch me to another menu that includes more food & snacks between meals. They said this is a necessity. They said you will experience a long plateau or slow weight loss if you are exercising too much and not getting enough food. I agreed to cut back for now and see how it goes. Since you are trainning make sure they are giving you the right menu. You don't have to tell them where you heard about the Meta-Balance menu, or tell them you were talking to a friend that is on MRC and that they are on the athletic menu. They work for you so don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
At this point I feel a bit confused and have no idea what menu I should really be on or if I'm currently on the right one but I'm going to go with the flow and try to get with someone at my center that knows something about MRC with running... At least I'm not hungry today!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen1234 View Post
Hmmm... not on my plan - Meta Balance, Level 1 - Does yours give a level?

The menu I have is as follows:

B: 1 protein, starch, dairy
Mid morning snack: HNS with 4 oz juice or 1 fruit serving OR one MRB
L: 1 protein, 1 veg, 1 fruit
Mid afternoon snack: HNS and 1 starch or MRB
Dinner: 1 protein, 1 1/2 vegetable servings (4 oz cooked, 4 oz raw), 1 starch
Evening Snack: HNS mixed with 1 dairy serving or one MRB

Proteins are the same as green menu - 2 oz hard cheese, 1 egg w/ 1 oz hard cheese, 2 med eggs, 2 egg whites & 1 egg yolk, 3 egg whites, 4 oz LF cottage cheese

Interesting...

And thanks for the answers on athlete vs. not athlete... It will be interesting to find out what the center says... It's kin of scary how inconsistent the info is between centers but the truth is alot of is interpretation by consultant and the client I'm sure.
HUMMMMM...Karen you brought up a very interesting question...not surprisingly there seems to be more than ONE Meta Balance menu…I had no idea…of course why should we…the title on my sheet says Meta-Balance and under this heading it says THREE MEAL PLAN. My plan is set up exactly like yours for all the meals and snacks with the exception that my portions are smaller. For breakfast I can have only (protein group 1) 1oz cheese, 1m egg, 2 egg whites, 2oz cottage cheese, starch and dairy the same as yours. Lunch my protein can only be 3oz from group 3 or group 1 up to 3x week, vegetable is 3oz cooked or 6oz raw, fruit same as yours (fruit or juice). Dinner 3oz protein group 3 or 3oz group 2 twice per week, starch same. It seems like you are allowed more protein at each of your meals and vegetables, all else the same. Did you complete your 3.5 mile run today? I do agree eat center is different in how the approach the program…I have been pretty consistent in meeting with the same counselor for a month now and this has helped with my meetings as I do not have to explain what’s going on or to update the other counselor while they try to read all the notes in my folder…which is proudly thick! It seems that every Friday when I weigh in, it is my longest meeting and we normally go over everything, do the survey, answer all kinds of questions and the counselor writes my responses down, etc…very detailed…I feel guilty sometimes when clients are in the waiting room, waiting for me to vacate! Genell