Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/135

Height: 5'7

Default I'm a teenager, so I can't take the supplements / drinks.

Okay, well I live in alabama, and a MRC is actually a few miles down from
my house. I am only 15, and a freshman in high school. I have been
overweight mostly all my life. I am 5'7, kind of tall so I might not actually
look like I weigh as much as I do. I mean, I look big, but I don't look like
I weigh 210, which I do. I never actually cared about my weight until
I went to the doctor last year and they said if I didn't lose any weight I may become a diabetic, which my grandfather is, and I know how hard it is for him, and I don't want to be that way.
My aunt, my mom's sister, was on the MRC program in 2007, and she was on it for about a year, and she went from like 220 to 119. She looks amazing. Everyone who worked at MRC was very happy for her, and they even asked her to work there, and now she does.
So my mom is on it now, and so am I. But my aunt told my mom to make sure not to give me any of the supplements or drinks because you have to be 18 or older to have them.

So I was wondering, me and my mom started on the same day, (saturday 1/7/09) will we lose the same amount of weight, even though she's taking the supplements and drinks ? I follow the exact diet as she does, and believe me, I can't cheat on it because she's on my back every second, which I'm actually thankful for. She weighs about 260 and she's 44, if that helps answer the question.

Also, how long do you think it will take for me to get down to 130-135 , if I follow the diet every single day ?

Thank you very much !
-Alexis.

Last edited by ovrweightTEEN; 02-09-2009 at 06:28 PM.
ovrweightTEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #2  
Tired & disgusted...

S/C/G: 280/279/180-160

Height: 5'6"

did you actually sign up for the program with your mom or are you simply doing what she's doing?

i think teens have higher energy requirements because they're still growing. the center may have another menu completely because of this. does your aunt work at the center or something?

i don't see how a protein supplement or multivitamin or flax is going to hurt a teenager any more than it would hurt an adult. i think more damage might be done for you not getting enough nutrients that you need while you're still growing and maturing. the reason for the protein drinks and vitamins are to make sure you're getting everything you need to support your muscles on a plan that's so limited. definitely have your mom take you and the menu to the dr and explain the drinks and multivitamin to them and let the dr tell you or just have your mom to ask the ctr if they have something for teens and how different it may be before you stick to a plan for very long that cld end up hurting you.
ford4life69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #3  
ChickieLeigh

S/C/G: 183.5/176/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrweightTEEN View Post
Okay, well I live in alabama, and a MRC is actually a few miles down from
my house. I am only 15, and a freshman in high school. I have been
overweight mostly all my life. I am 5'7, kind of tall so I might not actually
look like I way as much as I do. I mean, I look big, but I don't look like
I weigh 210, which I do. I never actually cared about my weight until
I went to the doctor last year and they said if I didn't lose any weight I may become a diabetic, which my grandfather is, and I know how hard it is for him, and I don't want to be that way.
My aunt, my mom's sister, was on the MRC program in 2007, and she was on it for about a year, and she went from like 220 to 119. She looks amazing. Everyone who worked at MRC was very happy for her, and they even asked her to work there, and now she does.
So my mom is on it now, and so am I. But my aunt told my mom to make sure not to give me any of the supplements or drinks because you have to be 18 or older to have them.

So I was wondering, me and my mom started on the same day, (saturday 1/7/09) will we lose the same amount of weight, even though she's taking the supplements and drinks ? I follow the exact diet as she does, and believe me, I can't cheat on it because she's on my back every second, which I'm actually thankful for. She weighs about 260 and she's 44, if that helps answer the question.

Also, how long do you think it will take for me to get down to 130-135 , if I follow the diet every single day ?

Thank you very much !
-Alexis.
When I actually started the plan 17 days ago, at my Food Class there was a beautiful young lady in there and her Dad accompanied her. I think with parental consent you can certainly follow the program and be very successful. I agree with Ford4Life, you are growing everyday and your body requires more nutrients than some of us. Talk to your Mom, go to the center and see what they say. It is super great that you and your Mom are doing it together! It certainly makes it easier to have a buddy!
ChickieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #4  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

This topic came up at a class last week at our center. There are certain liabilities that keep MRC from letting teens participate. However, teens can do the program with one-on-one consultations with the director of the center. It is important that you get enough to eat. The HNS (high nutritient supplement) is protein and meant to protect your muscle tissue. I'm concerned if you are following the eating plan and not taking the HNS, then you are way under where you need to be calorie wise. Please be careful about not taking in enough calories.

I would recommend you make an apt with the center manager or try a program like weight waters. Eat the same healthy meals that your mom is, just get those healthy calories in!

Last edited by ShineOn; 02-09-2009 at 03:10 PM.
ShineOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #5  

My son did the program with me when he was 15. He ate the same exact foods as I did, in whatever quantities he felt comfortable with--no measuring and seconds if he wanted them. The only thing we limited was the starch item. He also did not take the HNS.

He lost 50 lbs. over about four months if I remember correctly.
pbolton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #6  
Jamaica Bound

S/C/G: 213/173/150(170 by 6/18/09)

Height: 5'5"

Lightbulb High Protein is the trick

By what I am getting out of the program, the high protein is the trick to MRC's way of losing weight. I was required to eat 6 oz. of protein and 5 HNC drinks which equals 25 extra grams of protein when I started the program and I was over 200 pounds. When I got under 200 pounds they moved me down to 4 oz. of protein each meal and 4 HNC drinks each day which equals 20 grams of extra protein. I learned recently from a mountain climber that he does the snickers high protein bars which have 22 grams of protein each one. I was just thinking that if you eat what your mother eats you are getting the right amount of protein and very few carbs as per the program and if you were to eat a snickers high protein bar through out the day you would also get your extra protein just like a HNC drink. Just remember, everyone needs a multi-vitamin every day to help make sure you get all the other nutrients that your body requires. Years ago I did the weight watchers program and was very successful just by eating healthy which to me is the equivalent to the foods that I am eating on MRC and was losing approximatly 1/2 to 1 pound per week. On MRC I am averaging 3.5 pounds a week which is actually a high amount. You being a teen, I think you should only average about a pound a week, they have always said that you didn't gain the weight over just a few weeks or months so it should take alot longer than a few weeks or months to get it off. I truly understand your feelings about the diabetic situation, my mother is a diabetic and my boyfriend as well. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my second child and they said since I am obese I have a higher chance of getting type II diabetes. That is my reason for getting my weight down. Like I said I did weight watchers years ago and was very successfull so it was kind of like "Been there, done that, don't want to do that one again", that is why I am doing MRC instead of Weight Watchers. I wish you the best of luck in your life change and I know you can do it, just don't expect it to drop off to fast because it is not healthy for your body. The slower the better. Huggers!!!
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote