Old 03-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #1  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Default Giving random women compliments ?

Ok lately i've had several occasions where a woman gives me a compliment, like saturday, i was on a weekend get away and went to see the leafs game, i was buying a game program and the lady says just out of the blue "You have nice eyes."

My question is do random women take offence if you give them a compliment ? I only ask because moments like this really make my day/week/month. I have thought about passing it on so to speak but i don't want to look like some kind of dirtbag.

Yeah kind of off topic question but i am just curious.

Last edited by Resolute; 03-01-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #2  
~Tori~

S/C/G: 250/224.2/150

Height: 5'4

nope never and i do that quite a lot if there is something that strikes me i mention it , why not? I'd love it more ppl should do it and mention the positive in others , makes em feel good .
cheeriloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Hate to barge in on the men's corner, but I've received a compliment here and there and I've always appreciated them. The only ones I haven't are the obvious lewd ones ("NICE BODY" etc)
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #4  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Random compliments freak me out because they mean I'm being noticed. Unless I want to be noticed, it's disorienting for me to be reminded that I'm "on display" in some way. If it's a compliment from a male friend, it will usually make my day -- but if from a stranger, I just won't feel comfortable with the idea of someone I don't know starting to talk to me because of how I look. "What are his ulterior motives?" etc.

Just putting that out there. In case other women feel the same, you might risk unsettling them or causing trouble for yourself by being nice.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #5  

I would never be disrespectful, hence why i'm even curious as to whether this is acceptable.

I was hoping some ladies would chime in, i thought about posing the question in a another forum but it might not be appropriate to this sites theme or frowned upon.

I appreciate the feedback, the last thing i would be is lewd, i am just not like that, it's just such a great feeling when someone notices all my hard work.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
I would never be disrespectful, hence why i'm even curious as to whether this is acceptable.

I was hoping some ladies would chime in, i thought about posing the question in a another forum but it might not be appropriate to this sites theme or frowned upon.

I appreciate the feedback, the last thing i would be is lewd, i am just not like that, it's just such a great feeling when someone notices all my hard work.
Oh no no, I wasn't suggesting that you would be, just pointing out when a woman obviously wouldn't appreciate a comment. And as you can see from the responses though, every woman is different when it comes to random compliments in general.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #7  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I say it's completely acceptable, even though I do sit in the same boat as lackadaisy... Attention often makes me uncomfortable when it happens. I'm not used to people noticing me, and I often feel awkward when it happens. However, it always makes me happy later ~ shoes, hair, jewelry, smile, eyes, outfit are all acceptable "regions" for well-intentioned compliments as far as I'm concerned
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I say go for it. These are random women (sounds weird) so you won't see them again. Then make a judgement call on the reactions you get. I would love to get a compliment.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #9  

Here's the other side of the coin: Women _and men_ are taught from birth that women's looks are important and that men's judgement of women's looks is important--that what any given woman looks like is somehow public property and suitable for comment from strangers.

Personally? MYOB. If I want to know what you think about my face or body, I'll ask. Otherwise, check your privilege and keep your thoughts to yourself. Anything you wouldn't say to your boss or to some man three times your size who looks mean and angry-- don't say it to me. The fact that you're not in any way scared of me does not make your opinions relevant.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Compliments are great, if they're genuine and not creepy. Also, some (I stress, SOME) women may think this is your way of expressing interest in them - so be careful if you compliment a single friend or someone who may read more into it.

Last edited by Shytowngal; 03-02-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:55 AM   #11  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'd be VERY cautious of giving women random compliments about any body part.

On the other hand giving them a compliment about a piece of jewelry, their shoes, or some other accessory will almost certainly make their day. As long as it is a sincere compliment you can't go wrong.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #12  

Hmmm, i guess i will have to decide "on the spot" if such a thing is appropriate, i have refrained from posting compliments in any of the ladies progress or goal picture threads for the same reasons...
Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #13  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs girl View Post
I say go for it. These are random women (sounds weird) so you won't see them again. Then make a judgement call on the reactions you get. I would love to get a compliment.
I second this. I love the lift I get from a nice comment from a stranger.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Go with it, with a pleasant tone. And in full public view. Something nice but neutral -- "That color shirt is awesome!" or "Your kids are cute" or "Oh, good choice. I like that coffee drink too!" or something on the way past and out would be ok.

I think as a woman I view the world differently than my spouse. I don't want any man approaching me in a non-public space -- lonely parking lots, or dark areas or... I avoid getting on the elevator alone with a man -- and if that man started complimenting me, I'd run for the hills.

Not because he's a bad man, or because his compliments are fake, but because there's been enough bad men to ruin it for the good ones. When it comes to personal safety? I'd rather hurt a good guys feelings a bit and hope he understands than put me in danger with a bad man.

So don't NOT be nice, but do it in public, open, spaces. We need more nice men in the world.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-02-2011 at 09:08 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #15  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I think that you need to be careful with this. Many of us enjoy random compliments as long as they are not too personal but it can scare others. Body language can let you know if someone is open. If she is looking around, looking people in the eyes, smiling, and looks comfortable, she would probably enjoy a compliment.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote