Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #1  

Unhappy First Week - No Weight Loss

Hi everyone. I'm new here and have read a lot of your posts. I just did my first weigh in since I started the plan last week and I havent dropped any weight!

I began at 148: I am 36 year old female, 5'4. I have followed the plan to the letter, am drinking lots of water, and even cut out exercising. This is so frustrating.

What do I do? Switch to 4 and 2? Stay with 5 and 1, and hope for the best?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by AJ1974; 06-09-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Notification
AJ1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Obviously it's possible to follow the plan exactly and not lose in the first week, because you've done it! So, I would say first of all, don't give up. Second of all, go to the Medifast community site and post there, where you'll find a lot more Medifasters to help. And, you can post a question for the Registered Dietitian and get some informed guidance.

Don't give up!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #3  

Thanks for the response. I did post there too. Thought I may get some unbiased suggestions here. Thanks again!
AJ1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Unbiased? Not sure what you mean. At any rate, FWIW, I did hit a week-long stall about a week ago, but I stayed with my program and am now dropping again.

Jay
Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm currently at a week long stall at week four of the program. I'm hoping that the next day to two shows a change so I can continue with my loss. I'm hoping that the two months I'm doing this that I'll lose 20 pounds. I'm down 10.5 so far. Good luck to you.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/117/ 113 to 118

Height: 5' 1"

I'd stick with it and see what next week brings. I find certain weights that my body likes to maintain and it takes a week or more of staying the same before the loss hits the numbers on the scale. Good luck. I average my weight loss weekly around 2.5-2.6 once I got started and it helps me see the big picture.
gardengirlkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 213/178/150

Your BMI is 25.5. A healthy BMI range is below24.9.

This diet can have dramatic effects, but they are more dramatic the more overweight you are. Since you're starting so close to a normal BMI, I suspect that your loss (as measured by weight only) will be slower.

You could also measure your waist and thighs and see if you're losing size there. As I have been getting closer to a normal BMI range, my rate of weight loss slowed, but I could still measure progress in my waist (and watching thighs shrink.)

Don't panic, the diet does work. You may just have to be a little more patient as your body may be faster to adjust to the lower rate of calories.

Last edited by Sequi 2008; 06-09-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Sequi 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #8  
Fluffy but Battle-Ready

S/C/G: 251.4/235.0/130

Height: 5'2"

Hey, AJ! It is so hard, isn't it, to be so very On-Plan and not seeing movement-- the scale saying, "You're doing the right thing, now!"-- especially in your first week.

The thing is, the body is a complex system. Just because you didn't see a loss this first week, doesn't mean its not working. It may mean you didn't have much water weight or intestinal weight to lose, unlike the average new-Medifaster. Or because you didn't exercise, your muscles used that time to repair and make new muscle. Or you're just retaining water for a million reasons.

Also, like others said, with you having comparatively little weight to lose, you've got to be aware that you'll lose slower. I have also personally always been a slow loser, and when I was going to WW back in the day (all 7 or 10 attempts), it would nearly kill me to sit in the room hearing much thinner women brag about their 2 or 3 or more pound losses, when it was a struggle to shave a half-pound a week for me, even when I was perfectly on plan and working out.

The important part is to not mentally sabotage yourself. If you want to succeed, you need to be able to get yourself through periods where the scale isn't going to provide you the positive feedback you want. Those weeks, you need to actively tell yourself, "I'm doing a good job. This is a long-term project. If I keep doing the right stuff, the scale will catch up."

Good luck!
MairsieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

I don't know, am I alone in thinking that not losing a single ounce on an 800 calorie plan is a little unexpected?? That does NOT seem right.

My questions to the OP:
-What was your eating like before MF? If you have been on a reduced cal diet for a while, then ok yes, maybe you won't lose quickly on MF.
-Did you eat all 5 of your MF meals every day, and your full LG?
-Are you weighing and measuring your LG, or eyeballing?
-Where is your condiment and healthy fat usage (are you using/counting them)?
-What was your activity level before MF, and what is it now?

I really don't think one should just accept not losing on the 1st week of MF. It needs a little further looking into. Hopefully OP got some good answers on the official boards.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluvion View Post
I don't know, am I alone in thinking that not losing a single ounce on an 800 calorie plan is a little unexpected?? That does NOT seem right.
It's happening to me as well. In fact, over the past week I've gained a pound. I cannot understand why. I'm almost thinking I should have stopped at 4 weeks, take a break for a couple weeks, and start up again. Who knows. DH is still losing--albeit a lot slower than the beginning.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #11  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Hmm, interesting that the OP hasn't been back since the day she asked the question. I wonder if she gave up, or caught up on her second week.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #12  

That is interesting.

Meanwhile, I've lost some more. After a gain of a pound, last night I lost 2 pounds. My total loss for almost 5 weeks on the plan is 11.5 pounds.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Yay alinnell!

Jay
Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 268/268/180

Height: 5'6"

Default No weight loss for me either

Hi Everyone! Need some feedback. I'm new

I've been on Medifast for 11 days. I've weighed & measured my L&G. I've eaten every 2.5 hours (doing the 5&1). I weighed for the first time today since starting. I'm up TWO pounds!

I am ready to lose it. I've just spent $300 on food, I am dying to eat everything (I'm a stress/comfort eater). It doesn't help that I have a 5-year old and a 2-year old and they keep asking for pizza, popcorn. etc...I am keeping them on fresh fruit/crunchy veggies for snacks as to not tempt myself. But I just feel so miserable.

I am not giving up since I can't bear to see the numbers on the scale go any higher than they are. I just thought that at least I'd lose 2 pounds per week. Even 1 pound...but gaining weight is just ridiculous.

I've had all my labs done so it's not my thyroid. I've been drinking tons of water and I don't know what else to do. I'm here for support and I'm about ready to go order a pizza and cry about it later. (Don't worry, hubby won't let me - he is awesome support system).
LoserWannaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

2 pounds at your weight is nothing. It could simply be water adjustment taking place.

Just stay with the Medifast program! Are you eating enough with your lean & green meal? Don't try to skimp there--if it says 6 ounces of chicken breast, it means 6 ounces, weighed, after cooking. Three servings of vegetables means three measured servings.

Also, if you are finding yourself hungry, have the optional snack foods. They can really help you get to the next meal. I find that a sugar-free popsicle can do wonders.

And if you're really REALLY hungry, have an extra shake. It is far, far better to have an extra Medifast shake than to have even one slice of pizza. You are changing your metabolism, and anything that's high-carb could throw you off.

Good luck!
Jay