Old 03-17-2005, 05:43 AM   #16  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

A Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all!
Spring is definitely arriving and the lads have done the tapping in the sugar bush. No robins or geese so far but the Mourning Doves are back. We still have lots of snow and ice but it is melting!
What's happening your way?
Old 03-17-2005, 06:50 AM   #17  

Good morning all- and Happy St. Pats!

all quiet here...just getting ready to leave for work. I'm taking advantage of the cheap cabbage prices(corned beef and 5c a lb cabbage!) to make a big bowl of coleslaw for lunches and to snack on. It's too much trouble but I just stood there and chopped while the coffee was brewing, and now it's done. I feel so frugal! coleslaw for 12cents!
That's the big excitement in my day I'm afraid. It is sunny and I have to assume that spring will come sooner or later, but another snow wouldn't surprise me- there is still snow in the back yard, but the front that gets full sun is mostly melted off. Can we think about gardening soon?

Hey Ruth, how is LindaBC? (speaking of gardening) She was fun to have around, I hope she is doing ok. I know she posts at some gardening boards.

That's it for me. I have a very peaceful day at work today, and plan to get some reading in- and maybe run out to the grocery store on my lunch hour!

have a good one!
dottie

b-hb egg, ww toast w/peanut butter
s-sf yogurt
l-beef and barley soup
d-leftover shrimp and broccoli
s-canned pear half
Old 03-17-2005, 07:05 AM   #18  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Morning Dotti and Ruth, Happy St. patty's to you too. MA is not a safe place to be out on the roads today so we will be in for the night, lots of irish and lots of partying today.

I am up early and getting a little bit done. Hunting for an new audio book as I just finished "the ivy chronicals" It was funny but maybe because I grew up in NYC.

Off to the post office, bank and booksotre today after a shower, some laundry and finish packing. Humm time to get off my butt and move along I think.

Dotti, I hope the slaw comes out well too bad you can't freeze it!
Ruth, I too feel like spring is thinking about coming but the snow in the yard is getting old, the snow on the sides of the road is so Yucky, BUT my magnolia tree has buds and that gives me hope!

-L
Old 03-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #19  

Morning all!

Dragging my butt around this week - I think my allergies are making me tired! Glad that it is Thursday and the weekend is almost here.

Well, just wanted to say hi!

Kel
Old 03-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #20  
Come on Spring!

TGIF, everyone! There were all kinds of RIDE checks around yesterday, both afternoon and in the evening. I wonder how many DWIs they found. I got stopped at 3:30 on the way home from bottling wine yesterday. "Have you had any alcohol today, ma'am?" "No." "Do you have any alcohol with you?" "Yes. I have 30 litres of wine in the trunk." Luckily, it all fit in the trunk because you are not allowed to have booze in the body of the car in Ontario.

Aside from a glorious sunrise this morning, the day has had an auspicious start! Lucy came in carrying something black after her potty trip this morning. I was afraid it was a dead squirrel but it was my missing black leather glove with the fur (squirrel?) cuff! Now I just need my extra set of car keys and my pedometer and we'll be even. Little brat! I thanked her very much and mentioned the other missing stuff so we'll see.

Whoops! Not auspicious! Sad news! Just got IM'd that our Baptist minister's wife died last night. Poor Nada has been very sick with cancer for months and finally went to rest. Time to roast a chicken and make a big pot of soup or stew for the family. Kay Dean is probably already started on making those devastating butter tarts! Funerals and wakes are huge "social" events in small towns. I'm planning to have mine before I go!

I guess it's time to take the Christmas garlands off the village gazebo. I tried to convince some of the Village kids to do it for me but no luck. They are "bored" but don't seem to want to do anything that seems like work! Times have changed and I'd better get used to it. Somebody lend me some cyber kids! The Hyper Pyper kids love doing jobs for me and I sort of expect the rest of the kid world to feel the same.

Time to get with it and thaw some meat for dogfood making later this morning. No, I won't get it mixed up with cooking for the funeral!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #21  
Slimwithin

Hi, gang. Long time no see. Ruth told me someone was asking about me. Well, I'm still alive and kicking but I gave up on low carb some time ago. I've been on the new WW Core plan since the end of December and I'm really enjoying it. Weight loss is slow, as usual, 14 lb in 3 months which, I suppose, isn't too bad. With Core, you eat basic foods so I find that I no longer have cravings for goodies (much like the low carb high you get when you stick with it).
I'm still working on the 20 lb I gained last year. 7 more pounds to virgin fat. LOL I've also had to admit that I really need to exercise so I've started putting more effort into my pool workouts and I'm feeling much stronger for it. It's so easy to just loll about in the water and pretend you're working out. Once I lose a few more pounds and my knees and feet stop hurting so much, I will grit my teeth and start walking outdoors. Also, now that gardenign season is upon us, I will be doing more bending and stretching. I put in a few hours the other day and I sure felt it.
Anyhow, that's about it for now. Nice to catch up with you all. I'll check in again another time.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:07 AM   #22  

Saturday morning! hurray-

Hi LindaBC, it was me that was asking for you. I am starting to think gardening now, and I was remembering your wonderful gardening updates! Glad that Core is working for you...I think I am eating a little like that. Kind of basic foods, low-ish carbs, watching portions, watching fat. But trying to avoid the feeling of "DIET." Anyhow, nice to hear from you...stop by! We're not too ideological on the LC thing...LOL!

Hi to everyone else- it's saturday and chore time. DH has laundry going, I have the vacuum out, and we are on a mission. We want to have all the work done today, and just have tomorrow for fun. We are going to friends for dinner tonight, so that shortens the day a bit. I have to bring a salad, so I need to run to the store later.

Had dinner with DM and her lovely bridegroom.(always think of you L!). DM made corned beef and cabbage, actually a very nice dinner, just us and DS, DN and BIL. My DS is headed to Aruba, so won't be here for Easter next week, so this was the 'family" get-together.

That's it. Off to clean, and maybe bake some banana muffins for DH. He's doing his own wash, it's the least I can do!

have a good one-
dottie

b-crustless artichoke quiche
l-leftovers: tuna salad, coleslaw, hb egg
d-(out)

planning sunday:
b-pancakes(I make them sort of higher protein and whole wheat)and turkey sausage.
l-?
d-chicken thighs, spinach?

Last edited by dottiejon; 03-19-2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #23  
Big Loser

Talking

HI - long time no see..how is everyone doing??? I have missed you ladies!!!

Last edited by scooby2; 03-19-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 AM   #24  

Monday morning- oh, it's hard! I don't want to go out there! We had a wonderful, stay at home weekend, just lazy. Now it's time to get moving and I don't want to> Plus it's overcast and damp looking YUK.

Hi Scooby- how have you been? How are those little ones of yours? A boy and a girl, right? I am still plugging along, not so LOW carb, but I'd say, Reduced Carb! Not loosing, but not gaining either, for the last year or so. But I still feel that if I didn't keep a connection here, it would all go to hel!! Keeps me on track a bit. Love to have you stick around!

So, the weekend was nice- just puttered around, read the paper, cooked, ate, slept, read. I tried to focus on eating vegetables. I ate broccoli 2x's, coleslaw 2x's, corn, carrots and celery more than that. that was the goal. Today I'll finish up the coleslaw with lunch at work, then planning turkey breast with leftover 1/2 baked potato with broccoli on it for dinner. I need to go to the store, and have a vegetable soup planned for lunches this week.

No gardening yet...but I did work in a corner of my yard where there is an old broken up cement patio. last year I tried to plant a colorful low plant between the rocks, but it didn't take and doesn't get watered enough. I started the project of taking out the blocks-they needed to be shoveled out and dragged to the curb. I worked for an hour or so, and now have 12 holes in the ground! I will work on it a bit more and then put topsoil in. It could be a pretty corner, it's under a nicely shaped cherry tree and I want to bring the grass up furthur then under plant it with something. It was fun to dig in the dirt!

that's it for me...time to get on the road-
have a good one,all
dottie

b-egg
l-lean cuisine chicken and spinach
s- cheddar, triscuits
d-turkey, 1/2 baked potato, broccoli
s-pear slices
Old 03-21-2005, 07:49 AM   #25  
Come on Spring!

Good morning. Nice to see you back, Scooby2. I remember you moved to NC and guess it took a while to get settled.

Dottie, I am dying to dig in the earth! We are still covered with ice and snow but I did spot some daffodil leaves that have pushed up throught the snow beside the side walk! It's coming!

It was a very busy weekend but I'll spare you the details. I did get started on my crib quilt for the baby shower a week from today. It's very simple - a printed Winnie The Pooh top and diamond pattern quilting which I am doing by machine. However, despite my nearly 60 years of sewing experience, I've never quilted and am dealing with puckers and picking our whole lines of stitching. I need to slow down and quit treating it like driving along the Interstate! I need to get my glasses changed too - I seem to need a magnifying glass to thread the needle threader so I can thread the needle! Pretty pathetic!

Today I am planning to force myself to walk down to the post office despite the sore knee. I may have to call 911 to get home but I'm going to try! Enough already!

Have a Mahvellous Monday!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:36 AM   #26  

quick fly-by this morning-

ruthie, how'd your knee hold up on your walk?

feeling tired this morning from poor sleep- a problem with my tenant in FL is on my mind, and I don't have an answer yet so I'm just ruminating. I'll get my mind off it when I get to the office and can worry about somebody elses problems for a while!

eating ok except for some choco- I mean antioxidant bar!

have a good one,
dottie

b-sf yogurt
l-chicken thighs, coleslaw
s-cheese and 4 triscuits
d-turkey breast and rice and peas
Old 03-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #27  
Come on Spring!

Hi Chickies!
I worked at the greenhouse this morning transplanting sweet little plants from their seed nursery into bigger pots. It was so lovely in there. This afternoon I took Harry to the dentist and then worked on the quilt which is coming together now that I've slowed down on the sewing! The knee held out for the walk yesterday and wasn't a problem today at the Greenhouse as L's grandson was there doing the "shuffle" - that's moving flats of plants from one greenhouse to the other!
DOn't tell anyone but I'm tired tonight and still have dinner to cook!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:22 PM   #28  

Happy stormy Tuesday evening,

Been a wild and wooly few windy, rainy days with hail, funnel clouds, thunder and lightening. And this is California, for Pete's sake! Guess we are being punished for enjoying that very nice 80's weather a couple weeks back - drat, I KNEW it wouldn't last!

Hello to LindaBC and Scooby2! Nice of ya to visit - pull up a chair, help yourself to a cuppa and chat a bit, will ya? We've missed ya!

Hope L is enjoying her big V.

I'm feeling very silly this evening as my new 'relationship' is going at a snail's pace as we agreed since he has had some family drama to workout (or at least get used to) and I said I would hang tight and see him when we could get together. Well, the boys and I went to the movies this afternoon (Ring Two - not at scarey as the 1st, darn it) and I missed a call on my cell phone (blocked ID) and then there was a hanger upper on the answering machine when we got home - I think it was probably John but I'm not sure whether I should call him and ask did you call me (and what if he says no, then I hem/haw 'oh, well, never mind, don't mean to bug you.') or just wait to see if he calls again. Ok, yeah, that is better I will wait. If it was him and he wanted me to call him back he would have left a message. I swear, all of this is so, so, so high school!

Ok - this is Kel signing out and attempting to get back to her 45 year old, adult life. Have a good evening, everyone.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:37 AM   #29  

if it's any consolation Kel, you make me feel young, too! Slow is OK, but the "will he call" stuff ishard to take!

things are OK here...dentist yesterday ANOTHER root canal and crown. I owe him more money than my mortgage!

work quiet, that's a blessing. I can read, do bills, get caught up a bit. TG.

food not bad either. Been trying to cook more and buy less junk- I've had NO fast food for 3 weeks, and NO snacks from the vending machines, and brought my lunch EVERY DAY. This is partly a health/diet move, and partly a frugal one- been trying to stop the little $ leaks that occur each week, and I always hate spending pocket money on luuch when I can bring better food from home. I feel very thrifty and resourceful! LOL!

That's about it. snow on the ground last night, but just 2 inches, enough for a slushy drive, but not enough to have to shovel. It'll probably melt before the day is out.

have a good one,
dottie
Old 03-28-2005, 06:46 AM   #30  

Monday morning, March 28-(29?)

missed this place this weekend- glad we're back up!

I'm going into a busy week- new staff starting and that needs alot of attention. Also going for mammogram today- ugh, hate that. PLus it is rainy, cold miserable. I think the rest of the week will be better, so it's just today that's the crummy day.

We had dinner out Sat nite with friends we haven't see for a while. Nice, but ate heavy food, and felt yucky on Sunday. Then added some jelly beans to that!

DS, BIL and DN got back from Aruba late last night- I"l talk to them this morning. I went over yesterday and put an Easter basket a funny poem, and hid colored eggs around the house for DN> they will be surprised!

L, are you back from T&C?

Ruth, hope you had a good Easter...and Kel, too. Did Melissa come home this weekend?

have a good one,
dottie