Old 08-18-2003, 08:48 AM   #1  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

Default Do you find that one slip up sets you back an awful lot?

I have been doing Atkins for about seven or eight weeks now. Once in the third week I had a three day lapse (one night of cosmos followed two days of hangover and hardly eating), and then I had another last week after the blackout (had nothing easily edible on hand that didn't need cooking, all food had to be thrown out, etc). I didn't go crazy or even over-eat either time - I ate small to regular portions of regular food. BOTH times I gained six pounds. Six pounds in THREE days. And it's not like I was eating everything in sight or stuffing myself.

This worries me. Tho I do see Atkins as a lifetime way of eating, there WILL be times when it's impossible to follow too closely. Can I expect similar gains EVERY time I'm forced off plan for a bit? This is NOT good.

Anyone else notice this? Is there any way to minimize the gain when I go off plan? Does anyone else find that such a short and fairly mild lapse can lead to a SIX pound gain? This really worries me. I un-did two weeks work with just a small Off Plan slip up.

Again, it's not like I was going crazy, I wasn't eating low carb but I was watching portion size, etc.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:55 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Yes, yes! This is similar to what I do. My theory is that when you first go on Atkins, you get the big weight loss. That is water that has been storing glycogen in your stomach. (that's not the theory part, but something I read). As you eat carbs again, your body (here's the theory!) says OH Boy, and it starts storing the glycogen again, which means you hang onto water, and then you get bloated and the scales go up. Detox again and it should come off.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:13 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Oh yes!! and its always 6lbs for me too...go figure. Thats alot of water we are holding in!!

Yes, its always 2 or 3 days off plan.......seems my body has a mind of its own when it starts getting carbs again. Not just a bit, Im talking 6 reese's type bars(in one sitting), Krispy Kremes, hoho's anything with high levels of sugar and then anything with chocolate and peanuts. This is what I go for every single time.

Ive changed my way of eating because of this.....I stayed on Protein Power for a year without any incidents like this. But I also remember allowing myself a "free" treat when I really needed it so I wasnt so crazy about things. Looking back at my old journals, it was usually once every 2 weeks (average) and it was almost always a kitkat lol. Im not saying you should switch eating plans, but maybe allow yourself a "free" treat when you get that crazy feeling.

We all do what works for us, I hope you find yours. Your doing great Nicole, hang in there, its only water, a few pee stops and you'll be back to it!!

Robin
Old 08-18-2003, 10:50 AM   #4  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Glad to know it's not just me! Misery loving company and all that

The thing is, I don't get to the point where I feel like I just NEED a freebie or a break. The first time I had drinks with a friend (planned) then a two day hangover (unplanned, obviously). In that two days I didn't over eat, I just didn't eat on plan. I didn't use it as an excuse for "goodies" - I just ate the very few things I didn't think I'd regret.

As for the most recent screw up - when the black out started, I had zero food that could be eaten without cooking. That night we found some pretzles and fig newtons at the only deli open (pretzles and fig newtons - yuck), over the next two days I had fries, a little pizza, and some Indian food - none of it in excessive amounts. I just didn't feel like I ate enough to gain anything. It MUST be the whole water retention deal.

I feel awful, bloated, miserable. I'm going to drink as much water as I can hold and up my exericise and see if that helps.

I'm not so much worried about the consequences of occasional treats because I don't crave them - what I am worried about is - well, I have visions of going on vacation, being fairly careful, and still coming home in clothes that don't fit, y'know?
Old 08-18-2003, 03:04 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Lady,

This very weekend after 2 weeks of no weight loss b/c I was stuffing my face with to many Atkins calories, I decided to have a free day. So saturday I ate my pnutmm's, chips, french fries. Sunday I went right back on plan but I didn't weigh myself. I'll wait a few weeks b/c I'm refuse to get depressed over one days mishaps.

Next time I will do my cheats better. I will have a cheat when I want instead of torchuring myself for 2 weeks w/no results anyway. Actually the only thing that was happening was I was getting very angry w/the diet. So next time, in a few weeks, when I feel that urge to just pick, I will, but it will be planned better. Instead of a 1/2 lb of candy, it will be a handful.

The only thing we can do is try

Good luck !!!
Old 08-18-2003, 04:04 PM   #6  
Slimwithin

For me, it's not so much the resulting weight gain from a minor cheat. It's the way those carbs work their way into my system making me want "just one more bite" until I'm scarffing down chocolate bars, bags of salted cashews, ice cream, etc. The excess carbs lower my resistance to anything tempting. I think the carbs do a number on my brain too, making me think "Oh, this really isn't so naughty". Yeah, sure.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:31 PM   #7  
Bad Mamma Jamma

I have to say, I feel rotten. Really really rotten. My husband called me from work to say, "No more carbs! We have to get back on track!" so I guess he's feeling pretty nasty too.

Ugh. I'm just so HACKED that I had such a gain from so very little actual FOOD!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 06:41 PM   #8  

Oh, my, here is the thread for me!

I just got myself back on track last week and had some "freeday" snacks on saturday...Chinese food for dinner, etc...boy is MONDAY HARD!

the quick, seemingly high weight gain IS water...as Jennifer says, it is the return of water that was lost when your cells used up the stored glycogen. But after carb-loading, water fills up the cells, not your stomach...that's why it seems like so much! it is all over your body in all your fat cells!

yuk...but the good news is that it's temporary and will drop when you're back on track.

it's still 3500 EXTRA calories to gain ONE POUND of fat. Low carb or not. Whew!

Isn't that a relief?

dottie
Old 08-18-2003, 10:38 PM   #9  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Well I must be just this side of a water balloon today - I think I slosh when I walk!

Old 08-19-2003, 08:01 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the thread Nicole.

I had a 2 hour meltdown 3 weeks ago, with some frozen yogurt, 2 glasses of wine and 6 slices of pizza. Ok it was a wee bindge rather than a meltdown! I gained 3lbs but after eating properly ever since it left in 2 days. I too felt like a walking tanker ship for awhile and there was a brief period I wanted to chew my own arm off I had so many cravings but glad you're sticking with it. That was my huge triumph during this last 5 weeks, no giving up like I usually do! I even have my journal from the day after stuck to my fridge so I can remember that I felt disgusting afterwards. (we take it down when company comes over, something about feeling as fat as a whale and it you stuck a pin in me I'm leak all over the floor that isn't so welcoming ) Glad you're doing good.

Tummy
Old 08-19-2003, 11:45 AM   #11  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Thanks!

Husband and I are back on it today. We were both miserable, MISERABLE! So I guess that's the true test - if you just FEEL better on plan than for goodness sake, don't get off and if you do get back on very fast. I'm going to post that on MY fridg.

We have a calendar on our kitchen message board with all kinds of diet related stuff - which days we exercised, which days we lost, which days we plan to do whatever. I hope we remember to take it down when we have company!

And good for you, not giving up! That must be the mark of a truly successful dieter!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:13 PM   #12  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Ok, I havent been off plan yet (and I know it will happen at some point as I am as human as the next person) but I am wondering...

I drink 4 32 oz bottles of water a day. (And yes I am still spending all my time in the little girls room!) It has done wonders for my face though! But water also seems to flush the excess fluids out of my system. If you go off the plan for a day or so, and retain some water, will I be retaining too much with the amount of water in my system, or will it help me to actually flush some of that water retention out?

now I am curious! I am still learning about how all this works!
Old 08-19-2003, 02:49 PM   #13  
Slimwithin

Well, Karen, this is my understanding. Your cells have little minds of their own. If they don't get enough water, they tend to stockpile it because they are programmed to do that in case of a drought. Also, if you eat too much salty food, that can cause water retention. But, the great thing is that the more water you drink and get your body used to drinking sufficient water, the more confident those little cells are that there isn't going to be a drought so they can just go about their business of flushing out your system. That's why the complexion clears up on low carb. I'm not a believer in drinking gallons and gallons of water every day. I think the body has a natural capacity and set-point and anything over that amount is redundant. The secret is to find your body's natural capacity. Some people swear that the more water they drink the faster they lose weight but I'm not convinced. Even Dr. Atkins didn't say to overload on water. I believe he said 8 - 8oz glasses per day or thereabouts would be sufficient. Of course, it also depends on how big you are. A larger person can probably use more water. A smaller person would need less.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:57 PM   #14  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Linda, your thoughts are the same as mine, althought I love to drink water. It has been so darn hot here that I seem to be thirsty all the time. I know once the fall and winter hit, my water intake will subside...

I can say though, when I was doing the low fat thing several years ago, water did help me lose faster because it kept me full and I wouldnt eat..