Old 08-11-2003, 08:47 AM   #1  

Question 2 week slump?

Well today is the end of two weeks on low carb and I feel, oh I dont know just lethargic and kind of down in the dumps. I did not weigh today because I had to get up early and I did not want to wake my boyfriend....not that the number would change how I feel. I have been on enough diets at this age to know the number means little somedays Yesterday I felt the same, so did my boyfriend, he thinks it is the diet....maybe ????? Anyone else have a two week emotional slump? I would chalk it up to TOM, at the end of the week, but with the bf feeling the same I wonder

and to top things off I went for an hour long walk yesterday and my heel spur is making my foot just throb.....I usually stationary bike and walk olny 20 mins., so I was probably too hard on it....but going to see a physical therapist today for sound wave thrapy, i am keeping my fingers crossed, Foot pain=bad, very bad

Oh well, even though I feel ths way, I have no desire to go off program....that is the pot of gold at the end of my rainbow this morning!!!!

Lily
Old 08-11-2003, 09:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Post Hi Lily

Two weeks is a long time to feel like that most people I've heard of usually get past it during week 1 but it's very possible that your body is taking longer to purge out all the carbs. How about trying to post what you're eating in the food log thread and we'll try and see if there's anything that might be causing it.

Hang in there.

Tummy
Old 08-11-2003, 01:20 PM   #3  

Lilly- I felt this way for the first week and after I started taking Potassium and Magnessium I popped right back up! Now I am fine, I have been doing Atkins (or my low-carb version of it) for a month now and don't feel groggy unless I go a while without exercising. Maybe the vitamins would help, otherwise I would ask the therapist while you check out the bone spur problem, they could maybe recommend something...
Old 08-11-2003, 02:46 PM   #4  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

Are you feeling physically down, or emotionally, or both? I find it's hard to sustain excitment for an eating plan or diet or whatever for very long periods of time. Sometimes I just feel blah, over it, ready to get to my goal, lose another ten, or whatever. Sometimes the emotional blahs are nothing to do with my diet and more to do with just generalized boredom but without my old friend food to entertain me, it's easy to blame my diet.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:06 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I felt crapy for the first 2+ weeks. Its really important to take a whole slew of vitamins, on Atkins there are many many nutrients our bodies are not getting. Make sure you also take a multi vitamin, and plenty of vitamin C, B's, Mag & Calcium. Last week was my 4th week and I did have TOM, but boy did I feel week and tired. Also after my 2nd week I did switch to regular coffee instead of decaf. So I'm sure that helped. Drink lots of water too.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:10 PM   #6  

Actually, it is more of an emotional downer, but i just feel lethargic......I also decreased my antidepressants recently and DUH!!! it just dawned on me that THAT may be the issue!! BUt I feel better today than I did yesterday. I dont think it just excitment of a new plan wearing off, I take multivitimins plus calcium, so maybe it is the antidepressant.....don''t know why I didn't think of that sooner. Oh well! another quick question....should I be concerned at all with calorie intake. It has been around 1100-1400 most days but I have had a couple of days at 1700-1900, but all days have been under 20 carbs, usually 17. I just wonder if a spike in calories wil make a difference in the diet? I think most of the calories have come from ground beef and steak. On the days I eat that...calories increase!
Thanks to all!
Old 08-12-2003, 08:06 AM   #7  

Lily,

I personally haven't found that calories make a difference. I'm the same as yourself, low one day, up the next but I've been concentrating my efforts on getting the right ratios and the carb count and I haven't seen any decrease in weight loss so far. Still losing a steady 3-4 lbs a week and for one of those weeks I was running at 1600cals a day. Hope that helps.

Tummy
Old 08-12-2003, 08:21 AM   #8  

Thanks I have been watchng the ratios too and they have been really pretty close without a lot of effort!
I guess TOM is by the end of the week and I know my eating is up that time of the month, so I will just ride this out, actually feeling better today.
I am down 10 pounds all together in 2 weeks so I can not complain
Old 08-13-2003, 10:03 AM   #9  

Glad to hear that lily! And 10 pounds omg that's a chunk! My favorite part of TOM is that huge drop right after it's done, very motivating!

Tummy