Old 08-07-2003, 05:52 PM   #16  
Slimwithin

Zucchini cut lengthwise into thin slices makes a fair substitute for lasagna noodles. Eggplant tends to get very soggy, doesn't it?

I was down another pound this morning. Up three times in the night which is rare for me. I'm hoping this means my body is finally giving up the bloat.

Looking forward to Ruth's visit on Saturday. I'm going to have to make her wear a blindfold though. This house is a disaster and the garden isn't much better.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:12 PM   #17  
WW Moderator

When I have used eggplant, I've sauteed it first. Even better, sprinkle it with salt and let it set in a colander and draw the liquid out. I never thought of zucchini. No doubt I will be overflowing with it this summer!
Old 08-07-2003, 06:35 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I bookmarked a pointer to an Atkins "recipe makeover" for lasagne but haven't tried it yet:

http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/1/16-450675.html?

Let me know if it is any good!
Old 08-07-2003, 06:58 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Oh, that's the same recipe I remember, I just forgot about the mushrooms. Hope it tastes yummy, I may make it next time I take a trip to the grocery.

Had the day from he!! today and now I need dinner and an attitude adjustment, so probably a glass of wine (damn the carbs!) in my bubble bath tonight. Hope you're all faring better!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:06 PM   #20  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I use cabbage leaves instead of noodles for my lasagna

all
Old 08-07-2003, 09:30 PM   #21  
WW Moderator

Do you cook it first?
Old 08-08-2003, 02:00 AM   #22  
LC Rooster

Well...thanks for the lasagna ideas, everyone! I also looked at the Atkins makeover version...I'd have to blow ketosis for a couple days if I tried that one, but at least I know it would only be a couple days!

I hadn't thought of zucchini either, nor cabbage. Both sound like great ideas!

Another thought....'cheese chips' (nuking cheese until hard). I wonder if it would soften up again any while inside a lasagna filling. Take the dish you want to make the lasagna in, put a layer of cheese in bottom, nuke (if it will fit) or bake until hardened. Pop it out of the pan, save it, repeat until you have enough layers.

On the eggplant -- I've seen cooking shows do something like this: Slice the eggplant. Soak the slices in milk. Coat the slices heavily with salt, and put in the fridge for a while. Remove them, and wash off the salt. I think the egg is supposed to get rid of some of the bitterness, and the salt is the leech out the excessive amount of water, making it more usable for baking.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #23  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I have to chime in on the "large frame / big girl" comment.

I am 5'10" and everyone says, ohhh you aren't that fat, your just a big girl, BULL KA KA !!! I used to believe that until my doctors told me ut uh, your NOT big boned, medium is more like it. Just cause I'm tall doesn't mean I'm large framed. OY. And because of these stupid comments, at 160 lbs (years ago) I thought I was a big fat cow. Talk about bad body immage.

Gee, to be 160 again sigh ~