Old 05-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #1  

Default New Here!

Hi! I am a type two diabetic and someone I met on another Board told me about the Schwarzbein Diet and that it was a good diet for diabetics. I am currently on the Diabetes Solution plan. I was currently on the South Beach Diet and lost 7 pounds in one week but I'm worried about Phase Two. Also I'm on a plateau and decided it was time to try something new. Is the Schwarzbein diet safe for diabetics? I heard you can eat fruit like bananas but according to what I read, bananas have are very high on the GI and are loaded with sugar. Also she lets you eat peanut butter which is also loaded with sugar. Is this the right plan for me?

My Doctor at my last Endocrinoligst appointment ordered me to lose weight. I am 5'2" and my starting weight was 148.5. I am now 148.1.

Thanks!

Ilana
Old 05-06-2003, 12:52 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

first off, ilana... welcome to this fabulous bunch of ladies...

and second, and others will hop in as well, i think that you won't know which plan is the best one for you until you try it. but remember, just because a certain food is 'allowed' on a program doesn't mean that you HAVE to eat it. for YOU, the blood sugar levels will tell the tale. it they go up, it's not the right food for you. if you find that your sugar levels are always out of whack, that's a sign that the program isn't the right one for you.

then, just yell NEXT and try again. the key for you will be to keep you blood sugar stable as you lose weight.

so, be sure to monitor it!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:09 PM   #3  

Welcome to the forum!

I also have a blood glucose issue since I have PCOS (the daughter of diabetes) My doctor also told me to lose weight in an effort to control my blood glucose levels. I am following Atkins, and although it may seem harsh for the first 2 week induction period, I have found that not only am I losing weight but my blood glucose levels have dropped and I am feeling much better! I followed the plan at first to become pg with another child but now it has really been about my health issues. Many doctors are now aware of the wondrous benefits of a low carb diet and the relation it has to lower blood glucose levels. There is a lot of information out there, and many many different plans. Not one plan suits all so keep trying unitl you find one you can live with.

Best of luck!