Old 12-11-2002, 11:59 AM   #1  

Angry do any of you have pcos? -the new kid on the block

Hi gals, Holiday Greetings. I was just diagnosed yesterday with Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome and I am wondering if any of you are also struggling with this and trying to lose the weight? My dr. was very kind- until- she told me that I would have a lifelong struggle with my weight ( It somehow has gone to 279 in a matter of six months was 230ish last spring) her tone was very dissappointing as she tried to tell me I would be overweight my entire life. I am out to prove her wrong, I'm a "youngin" at 18, I would adore any help you all can give me, as I was reading through your posts, you've encouraged me and I plan to break from final studying and run to the bookstore to buy the Atkins diet and whatever goes along with it. I am a very upbeat person but this weight just can't be. All I've read about pcos and dieting is the key is to go low-carb- so here I am. Any information would be very much appreciated as I want to get orientated with your forums and become a part of it.
Thanks you gals, Jessica
Old 12-11-2002, 12:02 PM   #2  

Default pcos- anybody? *new kid on the block*

Hi gals, Holiday Greetings. I was just diagnosed yesterday with Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome and I am wondering if any of you are also struggling with this and trying to lose the weight? My dr. was very kind- until- she told me that I would have a lifelong struggle with my weight ( It somehow has gone to 279 in a matter of six months was 230ish last spring) her tone was very dissappointing as she tried to tell me I would be overweight my entire life. I am out to prove her wrong, I'm a "youngin" at 18, I would adore any help you all can give me, as I was reading through your posts, you've encouraged me and I plan to break from final studying and run to the bookstore to buy the Atkins diet and whatever goes along with it. I am a very upbeat person but this weight just can't be. All I've read about pcos and dieting is the key is to go low-carb- so here I am. Any information would be very much appreciated as I want to get orientated with your forums and become a part of it.
Thanks you gals, Jessica
Old 12-11-2002, 12:45 PM   #3  

Hi Jessica

A number of ladies with this disorder have been benefitted from following a low carb diet. I know Schwartzbein speaks to it somewhat in her book, but I think there are other books out there on the subject.

One thing I noticed as I have been losing this time is that I Immediately lost weight in my waist with low carb and that 'swollen tummy' syndrome that is associated with this disorder is going away first. That says a lot to me about insulin resistance and healthy eating for women.

Hope you enjoy the programs and welcome!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:46 PM   #4  

Hello Jessika and welcome!

I am also a PCOSer, been diagnosed with it for over 9 months now. I can understand why your doctor would say that since one of the major side effects of PCOS is weight gain. But there is help. There are three ways to control your PCOS: low carb eating, exercise, and taking a PCOS medication, Glucophage/Metformin being the most prescribed. I want you to know that you are a lucky person. You are young and diagnosed early and you can do a lot to combat it. I am 33 years old and was just diagnosed. There is a LOT of information out there, some good and some bad. The best source I have found so far is a wonderful website www.soulscysters.com It has a wealth of information, resources, and forums for people like us who struggle with this. I don't want you to think you can't ever get over this--you can! It will just take a lot of hard work and determination to do it. And also recognize that doctors do't alwasy have the best information out there, be your own advocate, learn everything you can about the disorder and do what is best for you. Remember, not everyone is built the same and what may work for one person may not work for another. For myself, I have very severe PCOS and I find a strict regimen of those three things helps me combat the PCOS.

Best of luck!
Old 12-11-2002, 05:08 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome, Jessika.

I merged your two threads and their replies.

There is lots of good info here re low carb plans and experienced and supportive Chicks and Old Hens. There is also a board devoted to PCOS in the General Forums area. The url is http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...?s=&forumid=70

Hang out with us, chickie. We can beat this!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Hi Jessica. Another PCOSer dx at age 19. Ugh, talk about depressing! The doc just said you have this, you will never be able to have kids, take these bc pills, have a nice day. I have learned tons about it here on the PCOS forum, which Ruth beat me to inviting you to join! The low carb diet is the only way I've ever been able to lose. Even though it is slow going, it is really going! Good luck to you in your journey, hope you find support here with these wonderful chicks!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:59 PM   #7  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Jessika

Just a note regarding your doc's comment about being overweight the rest of your life......is Bull****!! I was diagnosed when I was 19, Im now 37, I didnt gain my weight until after my daughter was born (at 32), but it was all within 6 months. Its coming off, and nothing pleases me more, than walking into my doctors office and seeing the look on his face. Both him and his nurse have grilled me on what Im doing. I simply state..."Ive cut out all sugars" So, YES you can do it!!! You may struggle with it the rest of your life, but you can do it! Yes being overweight with pcos is commonplace, but its "us" who makes the decision wether or not to stay that way.

Find what you can on PCOS there is a wealth of information online, and dont dismiss something that may be a little in the outfield....thats how I found out I could lose weight this way, 4 yrs ago. Now its everywhere and very accepted.

You've come to a great spot for help and support...and we are all here for you

Robin
Old 12-11-2002, 10:38 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

<sigh> what a wonderful bunch of ladies!!!!

jessika... it'll be ok. hang out. check out the pcos forum [jenniffer, who also posts on the 100 pound club] is the moderator, and one very smart chickie!!!

i don't have it. at least i think i don't... but you can have lots of sympathy from me!!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 08:26 AM   #9  

Welcome Jessica!

Please post often, it helps!