Old 11-14-2002, 11:27 PM   #1  

Default How much coffee??

Just wondering how much coffee you can drink on a low carb plan? I was reading that it was 10 carbs for a 10 oz coffee with one cream and sugar. Does that sound right?

Sue
Old 11-14-2002, 11:59 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Well, that depends on how much cream and sugar is in a unit. If you are on a low carb plan, you should not have any caffeine or any sugar at all, (particularly the sugar, it will keep you in cravings) because it messes with your insulin. You don't want any spikes, this will hold pounds and make you want more. The cream is acceptable as long as you watch your intake over the day. Many lc plans say the same for aspartame, but some of them are ok with Splenda, as it doesn't seem to cause an insulin spike.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:45 AM   #3  
Domestic Goddess

Red face O.K. my beloved coffee...

I agree with Jennifer...stay away from the sugar.

Now here's the part where I should hang my head in shame. I'll admit that I'm a caffeine addict. I have been hooked on caffeine since I was a little girl. My mom use to give me tea in a bottle. I've been having caffeine for a long time. Sure I've kicked the habit a few times but then I smell the coffee and I'm off and running. I have to have some of it.

I have been honestly limiting myself on the coffee. Some of you are going to be amazed at this but others are probably right up there with me when I say I make coffee in the morning and fill the pot up to the 8 cup line. That is equal to two of my mugs , we wont talk about how big the mug is. That's usually my limit on the coffee for the day.

Now, diet Mountain Dew....that's another story....it's ugly!! and we wont go there right now

I personally think everyone is different I've taken the caffeine out of my diet and didn't lose any better on Atkins. Yes, he does say that we shouldn't have caffeine it's better for you not to have it because of the insulin spikes that do occur but everyone is different.

As some people say, "Your milage will vary" Give it a try without it and see how you do.

Best of Luck from the Queen of Caffeine ChrissyB
Old 11-15-2002, 07:19 AM   #4  
she who must be obeyed

Hi Sue,

I know that the standards are to cut out caffeine. If you can/will do it that's great.

I for one, lost 78 pounds low-carbing a couple of years ago (have since gained it and lost it again ) and had two cups of coffee everyday.

Caffeine did not alter my low-carbing in anyway. But, and it's a big but, everyone is unique, what bothers one will not bother another. When I was low-carbing I couldn't eat cottage cheese, it would send me into a craving fit, but other's could eat it without a hitch.

If you want to play it by the Atkins book, you will cut out the coffee, but I for one didn't find that a necessary thing, but I didn't do Atkins I did CALP, the Heller's plan.

Debbie
Old 11-15-2002, 07:54 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, I'm not a shining example of weightloss but I WILL NEVER GIVE UP MY COFFEE! I drink a mug as soon as I get up and then one more mid-morning.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:02 AM   #6  
workin' my way back down

WHAAAAAAT????? GIVE UP COFFEE????? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just can't do that -- I could (and did ) give up chocolate first!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:42 AM   #7  

OK, there will be NO giving up of the coffee! I start my day with one cup and that's it for the day. I drink decaf with cream and stevia (a natural sweetener). On days I go to drop in, usually 2 cups but that's it.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:59 AM   #8  
Hang In There

I tried to give it up and I wasn't a pretty person I admit I drink too much, but we all have our vices, right?
Old 11-15-2002, 10:20 AM   #9  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi SueBee

Jennifer is right, however, Ive been on atkins for about a month now, and havent given up my coffee. I just cant!!!

So I think you have to decide what you want to do. I dont count my coffee in my carb count. ****, I wouldnt have any carbs to count, it would all be in my coffee

Take Care
Robin
Old 11-15-2002, 10:31 AM   #10  
WW Moderator

Hey guys, I didn't say give up coffee, just switch to decaf -- Or is that all the same to you coffee lovers? I switched to decaf and did just fine. First couple of days were a headache, but now I don't know the difference. I also switched from Folgers to Gevalia, so that might have made a big difference! YUMMMM, Gevalia is wonnnnnderful. I drink a load of decaf each day, it is my cigarette and candy replacement. I wouldn't dare mention cutting it out all together!
Old 11-15-2002, 04:34 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

Default but decaf counts as water!!!

and the caffeine stuff doesn't. so, as far as i'm concerned, if you're drinking decaf, you're not really drinking coffee. at least, that's how i justify my starbucks venti decaf cafe au lait every morning!!!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 05:04 PM   #12  
Slimwithin

I have gradually tapered off the coffee over the past couple of years. We now drink half decaff and I usually have only 1/2 cup of that in the morning. (Don't worry, Ruth, I'll pick up some of the leaded stuff just for your visit, LOL). When I went on the Fat Flush Plan (not any more), I tried a herbal coffee called Bambu. It's an instant and to be honest, I like it better than coffee. No, it doesn't have a kick to it, but it has a much more mellow flavor than coffee.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:03 AM   #13  

Thanks for the response. I have tried to cut out coffee and usually have two a day. The half coffee/half decaf sounds like a great idea. I live in Canada and really enjoy the Tim Hortons coffee. I'm also a nurse who works nights shifts and needs something to keep me going.

I really don't find the coffee gives me any cravings and was really surprised when I started this WOL that I didn't feel like snacking in between meals.

Sue
Old 11-16-2002, 11:28 AM   #14  

Oh yeah, can't live without my Timmy's! I usually ask for a med double cream and carry a pack of sweetner in my purse. (they have sweetner there but it's Sugar Twin ) I use Stevia (a natural sweetner that has no carbs and none of the chemical side effects of regular sweetner. I know some of the girls here use Splenda--less chemically than the other sweetners.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:45 AM   #15  
WW Moderator

I always used sugar in my coffee. I didn't think I could live without it when I went back on low carb, but after drinking a few cups without any sweetener, I like it better this way. Strange, considering people at work used to ask me if I wanted coffee with my cream and sugar!