Old 07-28-2002, 06:20 AM   #1  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

Default Hypoglycemic looking to start eating low carb

From what I've read about hypoglycemia, a low carb diet is the way to go. Any suggestions? How do I start? Any low carb plans friendly with WW and a vegetarian (actually more pescatarian) diet?

I appreciate your help.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:58 AM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Well first I would like to welcome you to the site. glad to meet you.

The best place to start is to get to your local library and check out a few books. First Atkins life plan (NOt the original) and PP life plan (not the original) both of these are the second f the basic plans and give a bit more leeway in the eating plan as far as carbs go and the kinds of carbs.Either one is great for that. The other book I would reccomend is CALP (carbohydrate addicts life plan) Also the best one to get the idea from what you are doing to your body is the low glycemic index. there is a great website (printed out in the printer friendly version is 15 pages long) but give you a great idea of where thi sis allgoing and soem things to help you make the right glucose choices.

By now you should have started to notice a pattern here LIFE PLAN not just becasue there are newer books but that these are plans for life things to get started on and continue. all of these plans are livable and do able for the rest ofyour life (Knowledge of some that have been on some of these plans in one form or another for over 3 years and some over 6, me I am working on over 2) WW does have a plan that is lowish carb, but and i do say but. there are several girls here that have done ww/low carb and just held their own and ended up back with glucose swings. I did notsee what they were eating so i can not say what did it wether itwas the type of food they were eating or thefact that they were allowing more carbs into their diet, andI am sure that some of those girls will pipe in and tell their story here too. so you can find out from them what ent wrong. If you are looking to control the insulin and prevent diabeies (hypoglycemia can lead to diabeties) you need to cotrol the bodys responce to the carbs/insulin release.

Now I feel a bit chatty so sit back and rest your feet grab some coffee. I have a pot on and cream too if you need sweetener i can grab some too. . this may take a while. I can post long ones with out even thinking about it so watch out. this mmay be more info that youneed. or want but it is the plan in a nut shell. or car shell which ever it fits
Old 07-28-2002, 09:18 AM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

The whole low carb is based in the response of the body to glucose. It is the insulin that is sent out to assist the body into using the glucose. Insulin is the key to let the glucose into the cells to use for fuel with out insulin the glucose just stays in the body and floats around causing problems and getting the person in trouble. Well one wonders if is from the body and used for fuel how can it cause a person trouble?? First let me say this ‘IT’ is a hormone does that say enough???

Basics EVERYTHING we eat turns to glucose with the exception of fat. (Yes-even protein can turn to glucose, an easier used glucose but more about this later if I get there) So whenever we eat we need to release insulin into our system to use the fuel. Now after a while with our constantly eating even when we do not need it our body gets to the point where it does not listen like the kids wanting MOMMY after a while it takes several Mommy’s to get our attention. And as we get older it takes more and more. Well unfortunately the cells response to the insulin is similar. It takes more and more to get out body to notice and use the glucose. (Explained very detailed in the PPLP book, you will find that I use that for much of my references. They explain many things in great detail but the book should be read in increments as it can be way too over whelming to read all at one) In short when we were young we ate a candy bar and needed 10 units of glucose to take the glucose and use it up in our teens it take 30 and as we get older 50 and even older more eventually the body send out so much that even though it takes only 10 units we have sent out and the 40 goes around the body and stimulates responses like only a hormone can do. Some typical responses are GERD (acid reflux, indigestion); headaches (ever go weeks with a headache?); hypoglycemia (sound familiar) as you have used the glucose in your body the insulin is not yelling for more glucose) the feeling of hunger within few hours of eating a carb loaded meal, tiredness. Lack of energy, LDL, and trygliceride production. HHHMMM did I hear that correctly we produce our own cholesterol??? YES we do (to be mentioned later I hope).

So what we do when we eat a low carb?? The first thing and the most important is we reduce the need for insulin. Not to make this simple using the kids again. If the kids start to become more independent and calling us only when needed we start to pay attention the more quickly to them again. Responding to their requests. The same with the insulin as we use it less the body starts to get more sensitive to it’s presence again and responds quicker then releasing les and that leaves less to float around in our body to cause less problems. Then we have a sudden change in our body. Less acid reflux. No more carb headaches, more energy, less sleepiness mid afternoon, and may other things that the girls can tell you about. Now I mentioned low glycemic foods (Dr. Mendoza) they cause less of an initial sending-out-of-the-insulin response. It still releases the same amount of u=insulin but not so much in one heap. That is why when you feel your glucose dropping and you drink a glass of OJ with sugar (the common thing to do) you feel better immediately but then an hour later you are suffering again. When you drink a glass of milk or spoon of PB you feel better a little slower but you do not have that low an hour later. The glucose is released a bit slower.

So now going to the protein/glucose reference. Many people say that you need carbs to live. Well if you look at how the Eskimos lived may years ago when there was no communication with them they could not grow wheat or fruit they must have all died? LOL in reality they survived with less heat disease eating fish and whale blubber and were all lean!!! How can this be we need glucose to survive?? The body has a wonderful ability to produce glucose from the foods we eat no matter what we eat. Protein can be changed to glucose using a process of gluconeogenisis. The wonderful part of this is that the body will change only what we need to glucose. So you do not have more glucose that is needed. That is wonderful that means that the body does not have extra insulin in the body and does not have the unwanted responses for it.

Cholesterol connection- that one is tough to answer. The body needs cholesterol to function so it can develop it in the liver. (Hence the reason to have Liver tests so often when taking anti cholesterol meds, it messes it up) so if you deprive the body of the needed good and usable cholesterol you then force the body in to producing cholesterol. It will produce the bad stuff unless the meds take part and assist the body into stopping it (but that can cause other complications as mentioned) If you eat the healthy fats the body will respond by not producing fat and use what your body takes in. when I say healthy fats I mean the natural ones. I also do not mean for you to go over board with the fat intake. You do not eat unlimited fats on these diets like many people think but eat it with out regret and guilt, but within moderation.
(Kids are up distracting me can you tell? )

Why not eat the margarine?? Or corn oil, vegetable oil? Well they contain something called free radicals. Yes we all have heard of them and not fully understanding them (I have a hard time too) ignore them. So what?? Well free radicals can cause cancer. And the more we eat the more free radicals are made and the body does not rid itself of them we need to decrease them our selves. So one of the best ways is to eat naturally (and if you are vegetarian then you can understand this)

So how does vegetarianism fit into this picture?? Well it can be done. It takes more effort but you can do it.

My family is making too many demands of me now so If you have any questions please ask. I know I missed stuff here so please anyone feel free to jump in.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:03 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sue, you are soooooooo good!

Mpinkham, welcome to the Low CArb Chicken Coop! As you can see, there is lots of good advice and friendly supportive folk here. Be sure to check out the FAQ section of the LC forum - and the recipes!