Old 04-25-2002, 01:34 AM   #1  

Exclamation Carbs Causing Cancer??!??

I was watching NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw (yum-yum-yum) and there was a segment showing the results of testing done in Europe that claims high carbs foods that are cooked at high temps (baked, fried, etc) can increase your risk of cancer!

What a reason to be a low carber, huh?!!!

Here's the link:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/743063.asp#BODY
Old 04-25-2002, 09:04 AM   #2  

Well, I always considered many carbs we eat to be a poison to our systems and it's nice to have some proof of it. I am eating a Korean diet and I can feel my body settle down. There are no fried foods or baked items in a Korean diet and I can tell you I feel much better.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:18 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh brother another thing to worry about

Its just so hard to believe anything they say today, first it was Eggs are no good for you, butter, milk (regular) is no good for kids, blow drying your hair gives you cancer, wiping your rear with toilet paper gives you cancer....... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR gettin so you can't do diddly squat....or does doing diddly squat give you cancer to?

It just goes back to the OLD saying "everything in moderation" (including moderation)

Now if I could just take my own advice

Have a good one,
Love, Leens
Old 04-28-2002, 08:41 PM   #4  
gettn' strong in 2002

I read this too in my local newspaper last night while eating my (ww recipe) oven fries! (and enjoying every morsel!)

Lately they say how good potatoes are for you and now this; good grief! It still won't stop me from eating those yummy oven baked fries.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:58 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

Default good grief!!!

it's no secret that there are many carcinogens in food, but here's the big surprise: there are also many many anticarcinogens in food!!!< especially vegs and fruit.

the powers that be have known for decades that a diet high in breads, baked goods, fried stuff, has been linked with various cancers. they've suggested a range of reasons, like these people don't eat enough fruit and vegs, or their diet is high in fat as well, and on and on and on.

but now, they've found a supposed carcinogen. big deal.

just be sure to put tomatoes on your [low carb!!!! LOL] sandwich, or to have salad with lots of dark greens in it, or a little more steamed broccoli