Old 01-24-2002, 11:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/206/199(first goal)

Height: 5 '7"

Default Need BBQ Sauce suggestions!

I am following Atkins (under 20 carbs a day) and have been for the most part eating my meats with no sauce of any type. I would really like to mix things up a bit. Does anyone have a low carb recipe for BBQ sauce or any other type of sauce.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:04 PM   #2  
Natural Health Educator

Angry low carb ideas and a "creamy" veggie sauce

How about trying mustard, like a gormet type? I also had a friend who suggested using only a vinager/lemon juice type marinade with a ton of garlic. I have done this in the past using tofu...depends on the meat I guess. My father also uses horseradish sauce.

One trick is to look in the health food store, or in the health food section of the grocery, for sauces with no added sugars. I am following an eating plan that incorporates complex carbs, rather than low carbs in general, so i can use things like fruit to make the sauce. i have found however, that by adding just a bit of fruit like grapes or pears, i can sweeten something well enough that sugar like substance aren't needed. (But that is just me.)

Maybe i am suggesting things to you that i shouldn't. If so i appologise for temptation...I know how it is though. I have a neighbor who love to bake, and she has no oven right now, so she comes to my home to cook...smelling cookies and fresh bread is a bummer when you are trying to cut back! I however, have no choice but then to continue on low carb since I suffer from PCOS. Oh well, i figure that having a little bit here or there is ok, that is why i would probably use honey or something in the bbq sauce. how about mixing tomatoe puree, with garlic, spices and salt to taste? Go for the salty sauce rather than the sweet?

I make a fresh veggie "cream" sauce by purreeing well cooked leeks with a bit of water and olive oil...this is really incredible over chicken breasts. I have also used other soft cooked veggies this way....I love my blender. I was on a no dairy diet, and that is how i got into doing this. it actually helps us low carbers to eat less dairy in our meals by allowing us to apply the carbs we do eat in the form of healthier more fiber containing stuff...again, this is just me talking, and i am no perfect eater though...just like to try to do right....

=^..^=
meowmew

160/135
Old 01-25-2002, 10:33 PM   #3  
Senior Chicky

Default Welcome to both of you!!!

I had hoped to share a recipe or two with you UNFORTUNATELY between my computer screen here at 3fc acting a bit guffy and DH not happy that I'm on the computer I may not be able to at this time! Sorry!

Did you check out the wonderful LC recipe section on the main forum? I do recall a great b-b-q recipe there (but gosh, I don't remember how long ago) and if you have any problem locating it I promise that I will look for it next week when I'm able to check back in.

Glad to have you here! Hope that you will jump right in and settle yourselves in among friends here!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

J