Old 11-12-2001, 08:21 AM   #1  

Default Daily Monday November 12th

Just getting us started up this morning, coffee's on!
Old 11-12-2001, 08:32 AM   #2  

First, I'm going to be really honest, I haven't been OP at all this weekend. I am under a great deal of stress and I'll tell you why. Friday night I was cooking dinner for my neighbours and suddenly the stove goes out. I mean, the only thing working is the lights but there is no heat to be seen in the oven or the burners. Saturday we went to buy new fuses for the stove, that wasn't the problem. Determined that it must be our very old stove and so we bought a new one. Guess what, same problem. Called our contractor who rebuilt our fireplace and he had a look. Said that it might be the fuse containert he fuses are screwed into. Sunday, replaced that and still no change. Deterined that it must be the wiring and that must be the problem. Now we have a stove we don't need and they won't let us return it without authorization from their manager. Our neighbours come over and they buy our stove (because they really needed one anyway and we were just going to return it) So now we are down to my old stove, faulty wiring and me having to cook macaroni in a steamer! Dh said I could at least buy a hot plate but right now, there's not enough money to spare with Christmas coming to do the wiring. So now I'm stress eating, and yes, I know it isn't good for me. Yesterday I took out my anger and frustration on the house. Cleaned for 8 hours straight! Maybe I'll do more of it today. Believe it or not, the usual carb effects aren't happening probably because I am angry and I'm using up the energy.

So that was my weekend Chicks and I'm hoping that today goes a lot smoother for me...sigh ... thanks for listening to me rant.....
Old 11-12-2001, 09:40 AM   #3  
Livin' La Vida Loca

Morning Pooky and all to come!
Gorgeous day in central Iowa! What a gift November has been!

Tons to do today for work -- should NOT be here this minute, but wanted to take a second to say Good Morning to you!

Pooky -- what a story! Don't you hate it when that stuff happens? My dh and I just chalk those kinds of things up to experience and have gotten used to saying, "Well, if it only cost us this much, it's an cheap lesson." (whether it's true or not! )

Have a great day! It's a gift.

Sooner
Old 11-12-2001, 09:59 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Aw, Pooky! Sometimes life really sucks!

Sunny and cold today with the first fall of snow. We usually have it before Remembrance Day so that's a good sign. I have already been out for a walk to the post office - early cards to Europe - and was glad of my winter jacket!

Wonderful Gail is cleaning our pig-pen of a house right now. She has not been here since late September as she had an operation on her wrists and then took a short vacation. She is sooooo happy to have DUST! I told her I had been saving it. We have an air cleaner thingie on our furnace so don't have much dust. However, we do have dog fur as Hershey kind of blew her coat before having the pups AND my vacuum cleaner gave up the ghost! It decided to eat the end of a ruffled curtian and blew something. So I borrowed the vac from the Church today. Gail looked at the old one which was ready to go to the dump: she plugged it in and pressed the re-set button! Ahem! A real duh moment here. Nice to know I can put the $500 towards a treadmill! Pooky, I wish I could send her to you to fix your stove!

Got some wonderful news this a.m. I have a friend Sharon whom I met on a garden board a few years ago. A month ago she was in the ICU with a brain haemorrage (sp) and not expected to make it. She is now home and writing emails and talking on the phone! They drained blood from her brain - yick! - removed two aneurisms and put in a shunt and she is OK! Such a relief! She is a wondergul gentle lady and the world would really have lost one of its roses if Sharon had left.

My BIL's art show yesterday went well. He even sold a few paintings! I was teasing him that now they could afford a turkey for Christmas. Bil and my sister are very lucky to have no financial worries at all but Peter was just delighted to think people paid real money for his stuff. He is thinking of cutting off his ear! LOL!

Once Gail leaves at noon, I am going to start some Christmas baking which will go right to the freezer. Maybe I'll put it in the freezer at the Church where it won't tempt me. As I am a true carb addict, one cookie or square is NOT enough. I can't even resist those containers of mixed candied fruit! Country Christmas is the 24th and we will have a bake table at the Craft show so I need to get going.

Right now, I am going to take a run in the car to see my grandpuppies - really making progress! eyes are open and they are starting to show personalities - mainly in fighting over the choice milk spigots! Hershey certainly is busy feeding and looking after these nine pups. She will be glad to get home and get her life back.

Have a good Monday, Chickies.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:38 AM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

POOKY {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} that is terrible! last year jsut before thankgiving i was cooking haam and cabbage and the ham spilled over, and the fat cought fire on the underside of mystove and burned it up so i know how you are right noe!!!it was about 2 weeks before i could get a new stove (cost) so do what you need to do. we are here for you. and when you can gt back undercontrol then take your life back in control too.!!!

my day is busy today a lot of computer work for me! and laundry and cleaning to. so i must run
Old 11-12-2001, 10:47 AM   #6  

Good morning all-

Oh Pooky you are having a bad time.....And stuff like that always happens when money is tight. Hang in there.....

Wow Ruth thats great about your friend... Thats a good way to start the day.... I'll bet those puppies are so neat.. And lucky you getting your house cleaned....

Had kind of a lazy week-end. Caught a nasty cold so I've been laying in. So no walking on my treadmill right now.. But did stay OP.

Question???????????????? Don't we do Monday weigh in's anymore?????

You all have a great day... Oh yea The best part of today is I lost 3 lbs. this week. Yea for me.........

Last edited by Toni48; 11-12-2001 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:01 AM   #7  

Good morning from rainy Portland!

Pooky, I am so sorry about the wiring, the stove and such. When it rains it pours, huh?

Ruth, that is fabulous about your friend. It's nice to hear a happy ending these days, with all the tragedy in the world.

Toni, how's the cold? Keep the kleenex handy!

Everything here is ok. We are getting prepared for our move in just 25 days! I am SO happy to be getting my own home and getting our stuff out of storage. That doesn't even compare to the excitement of DH finally returning at the end of Dec.

I have been able to check in very regularly, we got a new addition: a terrier/boxer/shepard mixed dog from the Humane Society. She is 3 1/2 months old, and thank goodness she is already potty trained. Now, if I could just figure out what all the mouthing is all about I'd be totally at ease. This is the first dog we've had as a family, so there is lots of learning to be done. I think I've already gone through three doggie books already!

Have a good day everyone. I've tried to stay OP and am now finally getting some exercise as I take the dog out for walks.

Jenniwookie
265/237.5/180

RACHEL: when you check in, please update us on the puppies!
Old 11-12-2001, 11:07 AM   #8  
A new Mom

{{{{{hugs}}}}} for pooky (and anyone else in need of them).

I understand about your stove... this time last year my fridge died and we did Thanksgiving and almost Christmas out of a few coolers... it was not a pretty or fun thing. Finally out of frustration we tried just replacing the outlet and lo and behold our crappy old fridge that is being held together in too many places by superglue is still working to this day. Thankfully it wasn't extensive wiring that needed to be done or we might still be using it as a pantry and keeping perishables in a cooler.

Ruth, great news about your friend. It's always good to hear about people who are doing well after horrendous things happen to them, it gives me hope/inspiration that when things go wrong I will make it through.

Has anyone seen the ads for the Sara Lee bitesize brownies that "you can eat straight out of the freezer"? When I saw that I was amazed... you mean I am the only one who does that anyhow? Weren't brownies meant to be eaten that way? And if not.... why put them in the freezer at all?

Well... I'm off to the salt mines to finish cleaning the office. The reason is twofold... it's going to become the baby's room, and my parents arrive a week from tomorrow for a week. This is the first time they've been able to come down for Thanksgiving with us. They will be staying in here (we have a fabulously comfortable futon in here) but I can't let them know just how slovenly I've become of late. SOOOOO the room gets an overhaul even if it kills me.

I am really looking forward to having them here, but it's kind of scary as my dad keeps talking about all the "projects" he can accomplish while they are here. I'm a little afraid I'll come home from work one day and find the carpet gone. Not that that would be so bad except that we can't afford the new stuff yet.

Well that's it for me... oh, I suppose I should say that I've pretty much been op all weekend, no combining of carbs with proteins or fats, and actually managed to get back to lower carb eating. Not too low, as my dr wants me to eat quite a few, but not like I was the last little while.

bye for now... sorry it's a book.

Lara
Old 11-12-2001, 02:45 PM   #9  
Senior Chicky

Happy Moan Day ya'll.

Don't have too long as DH will be back from lunch with client soon. Just wanted to check in. Feeling a bit blah lately--I think it's from combination of stress and hormones. Not really depressed, just, blah.

The horrible NY plane crash this morning only intensified it. My heart just goes out to our NY neighbors and friends. The continuing tragedy is almost unimagineable.

Dottie--I think of you daily but must admit that even moreso today. Please check in when you can to let us know how you are doing.

Peach--how are you and yours? I know it's pretty close to home for you.

Pooky--sometimes just seems like when it rains it pours, huh? Maybe time to tell DH you'll make side dishes on the hot plate and he gets to grill dinner everynight!

Lara--always so glad to see you! I still feel amazed that this time last year we were chatting about your wanting to be preggo! How's the family situation?

Ruth--definately ready for more grandpuppy pics! (and new mommy, too) Wonderful news about your friend!!

jenniwookie--wow! going to be like second honeymoon for you and dh !! Hope you don't show up with a new year "surprise" before Pooky! lol

Sue--Oh great "stop the madness" Queen Susan! I remember your ham and cabbage story last year! How's the business preps going?

Toni--ugh! these chicks must've sneezed on you! Ok-let's pass the chicken soup over to Toni. Monday weigh-ins? I know that before Sept 11 that we had tried to combine things into the weekly S-U-C-C-E-S-S challenge thread but am a bit behind on posts lately due to real life issues.

Sooner--Always good to see you! Have a great one!

DebKay-Jif-Ado-DonDar-JHP-Tip-Leanie-Cathyx-Kel-Scooby-McMom-Mum2five-LindaBC, and all to come--Hey!

Kirei - Dottie -- Are you lurking?

Should be doing laundry and grocery store duty (yuck) but think I'll make a quick run just to pick up extras for dinner and breakfast and put it off till tomorrow!

Appreciate today cause tomorrow we never know. (Oh geesh, doesn't that reflect my mood!) Anyway ~~

Luv to all!

Last edited by MamaJ; 11-12-2001 at 02:47 PM.