Old 10-25-2001, 08:57 AM   #1  

Default Ketone Test Strips - SWOntario/Buffalo

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well... I am wondering .. Can anyone help?

I have tried to find the ketone strips and can't. Ideally, I'd like to find them close to home, from Toronto to London, Ontario (I'm desparate, I'll travel!)

Occasionally I go to the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area so that's a possibility too. Last week, I tried in Buffalo at a large drug store that sold Atkins products and even they didn't have it and "never do" according to the pharmacist.

To order from the Atkins Center for the $14 product will cost $45 in shipping, they refuse to just mail it. That makes it about $90 Canadian for 100 strips.

So, as I said, I'm desparate.

Can anyone suggest a source? Thanks! Jenn
Old 10-25-2001, 10:21 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Sorry Jen, I wouldn't know where to get them.

Leens
Old 10-25-2001, 11:09 AM   #3  

I thought that they were pretty much available in drugstores. Don't diabetics use them anymore? I remember when my FIL was alive and he kept "pee strips" around all the time as he had diabetes. But, you know...that was over 30 years ago. geesh, I'm dating myself again. Good luck in finding them. Try doing a search on the INternet.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:23 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Help IS At Hand!

Tip is right, AGAIN! (I hate saying that!)
Any drugstore in Ontario should have them. I bought mine at Shoppers. they are not cheap but you can cut them lengthwise with sharp scissors and get two for one. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll send you some. (I can get them in Brockville or Smiths Falls so they should be available where you are.)
Just ask for "those stick thingies to test urine" and don't mention Atkins! That sometimes freaks them around here!
Old 10-25-2001, 01:08 PM   #5  

Default Of course I'm right!

Yes Ruth I'm right! I'm always right! Even when I'm wrong I'm right!
I know, I know Ruth, "Shaddup Tippy"! LOL!
Old 10-25-2001, 02:13 PM   #6  

I'd also suggest maybe calling a medical supply place ? I'd definately let my "fingers do the walking" and get out the phone book and call everyone ! Good luck !!! Denise
Old 10-25-2001, 10:31 PM   #7  

Very true Ruth, I see the keto srips at my local Shopper's too. Check it out Easter!
Old 10-26-2001, 02:01 PM   #8  

Hi and thanks.. actually I did try SHoppers. He said if I could get the brand name he would order, but they didn't carry them.
I'll try another branch..
Old 10-26-2001, 02:08 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Mine are Bayer and are made in Etobicoke! Hope you find them.
Old 10-28-2001, 08:32 AM   #10  

I used to work in a pharmacy and they were right on the shelves by the other diabetic supplies. I don't know what else to tell you. I know they have them at another pharmacy here in my home town because I was just looking for them yesturday. In my opinion, they are expensive, but they did have them. Go to your local pharmacy and look by the diabetic testing supplies. You will see glucose testing machines, testing strips for the machines, glucose tablets and all that kind of stuff. (Probably lancets and such too) If you have found all of that stuff, look closer because the strips are hiding in there! Hope that helps! Mel