Old 10-27-2001, 09:11 AM   #1  

Question Question for CAD

As some of you may know, I have been trying to find a low carb diet that is not quite as strict as the Atkins and have thought of devising my own diet. I see so many of you are on CAD. I think I read the book awhile ago when I checked it out at the library. I want to get the facts straight while trying to figure out which diet would be easiest for me to stick with.

Is that the one where you eat very little carbs all day and then at night you get a "reward" meal? I think you get one hour to eat what you want, and no more then one hour?

Is that the basics? Let me know! Mel
Old 10-27-2001, 09:21 AM   #2  

Hi Mel ! So you're still trying to pick a plan also ? Me too ! I've just finished reading both Atkin's books and I think I'll read Protein Power next. I've heard the exact same thing as you about CAD. I still have an old book around here if you need me to check anything ? I've also got Sugar Busters which I believe is very much like Atkin's but I think it allows some fruit and whole grains ? I wish I knew how well/fast people did on all these plans ? If they are losing as well/fast as on Atkin's... then I think I'd switch plans ? Why make it harder than it has to be ? Are you looking at the older version of Atkin's - where you basically have little if any carbs for the first 2 weeks ? His newer book starts you out with 20 a day for the first 2 weeks and then you add some (5-8 a day each week) slowly until you hit the point where you stop losing... and then you drop down a bit under that to continue to lose until you hit goal. He even has a Pre-maintenance and a Maintenance Plan. Just thought I'd share that since alot of people still think of his diet as the close to zero carb plan. He does mention in the new book how Protein Power is VERY close to his plan. I know that some people around here have lost well on that. I wonder about CAD and Sugar Busters tho ???

Anyone care to share please !!! Thanks !

Please let me know - MEL - which one you decide to try and why ? I may want to try it too ! TTUL ! Denise
Old 10-27-2001, 09:47 AM   #3  

Denise: I have the newer version of Atkins. I have never read the older one. I just checked out the somersizing website and have decided that that one is just too confusing for me. There are too many rules of what you can eat and when you can eat them. When I want to eat, I want to eat NOW...not wait a few hours! I plan to start my diet on Monday and I guess I will start with Atkins because that is what I know. I lost 50 pounds in like 3 months on that diet last year. If something else intrigues me I guess I will try that too. But for now I know this works and I will use what I know to begin losing the weight.

Do you have a few minutes? I will tell you a funny story. Last year when I started Atkins I started because my doctor (he's not my doctor anymore) advised me to for my hypoglycemia. I began to lose weight so fast my aunts and grandmother kept calling my mom and asking her if I was sick. I used to work at the same factory as my mom and when I would see people that I used to work with, they would go to work and ask my mom if I was sick because I was losing so much weight. I guess it's kinda not funny like HA HA, but it just shows how fast I did lose the weight. I had to spend a lot of time convincing my aunt/godmother that I was not starving myself! She was ready to have me checked in somewhere for an eating disorder. I guess I feel I can't go wrong on a plan where you lose weight so fast that people notice it right away. I have been overweight my whole life. My life in grade school was ****. The other kids made fun of me, and one girl even called me "grape ape" because I wore purple sweat pants to gym class because they were the only ones big enough that my mom could find. I have suffered from depression and low self esteem my whole life because I was fat. I am slowly getting better. I got a whole lot better when I lost the 50 pounds. I tried Slim Fast when I was 10 years old. I went to a local store and bought it with my babysitting money. I have tried everything under the sun with no results. And then I found this and it works! I don't have to wait a year for results, I get them right away!

Well, that is enough babble for now. I will talk to you later. Please keep me updated on how you are doing! Mel
Old 10-27-2001, 10:59 AM   #4  

Default Mel

Great job with those 50 lbs. Mel !!! Have you been able to keep them off ? Are you just ready to lose some more ? A little about myself - I've lost 50+ lbs. twice over the years but have never been able to keep it off. About 2 years ago... I lost 21 lbs. with WWs but just couldn't lose anymore that year ! Then this past Jan. when they dropped our points/calories 2 measily pts. - I finally hit the 22 lb. mark which meant that I'd lost 10 % of my starting weight. Ya hoo ! But then after 4 or so mini vacations - about 1/2 of that was back on again and I've not gotten back down to much below 15 lbs. again until last week when I started Atkin's and dropped 4.2 lbs. ! That put me at 17.6 lbs. lost. But we're talking in a looong time of doing it ! That's when I got fed up and decided that for whatever reason (probably yo yo dieting) - low fat/low calorie dieting just wasn't doing it for me anymore !!! Of course this week - I've got to have the lousy timing of that TOM so the scale is not budging at all except up 1 lb. I'm trying to hang in there BUT - tomorrow is my weigh in and if I don't drop some water weight real quick... I'm gonna get depressed. I'm gonna look at Sugar Buster's at lunch today and see what the difference is ? I'll check back later on today. Have a Super day and I'll TTUL ! Denise
Old 10-27-2001, 11:52 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yup thats the basic idea.......it really works to.

Good Luck.

Love Leens
Old 10-27-2001, 02:52 PM   #6  

Thanks Leens ! So how well ? Denise
Old 10-27-2001, 05:55 PM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

mel with CAd the diet does allow carbs on the reward meal and it is only for an hour no longer and only once a day that is so that there is not 2 rteleases of insulin if you eat longer than that the release is done again so you do not eat longer than that. the trick is to eat within limitations do not stuff your face and balance your carbs with vegies and protein for each serving of carbs. That is it in a nutshell.
Old 10-27-2001, 06:36 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Dnees

It only works if you follow it.....my problem is I don't follow anything.

Actually the truth is last year when I did it I lost like 20 lbs in only a few weeks, but then I got pregnant and ate & ate.......Now I'm finding it hard to stick to anything but !!!!!!!! I am definitly staying with the CAD and I WILL do it again.

I have 70 lbs to lose so I better get crackin
Also I'm not whoopie on diet soda because of the chemicals BUT....I do drink it a little, it helps crave my sweet tooth inbetween......I do try to stick to flavored seltzer or just regular water....or plain iced tea.

I found that this diet makes me not want to eat everything under the sun and my reward meal can be anything I want which is awesome......If you keep your reward meal lean and sensible, you will lose even faster. Well thats what happend to me anyway. Once I started adding tripple decker icecream cones and really going overboard....losing weigh slowed down. Like anything...right.

Love Leens
Old 10-27-2001, 07:54 PM   #9  

Thanks Sue and Leens !!! That helps alot ! I'm reading Sugar Busters tonight to get a feel for what that one's all about. Thanks again for the CAD info !!! Take care ! Denise
Old 10-27-2001, 08:19 PM   #10  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All

Just wanted to let DNEEES know that we have a SB SUPPORT BOARD right here on the 3FC'S SITE just in case you'd like to visit, or possibly, if we can answer any questions you may have about SB. Here's a link to our boards (we mostly post on the WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD):

http://64.119.161.199/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=62

There is a good site that a gal following SB has created that gives you a good idea about this WOE that I usually recommend people to visit, the link is:

http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, my e-mail is below.

Debbie
[email protected]
194/120/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 10-28-2001, 06:45 AM   #11  

Default THANKS !!!

Thank you SO much Debbie for letting me know about this ! So far, I Really like what I'm reading in the book !!! I'll definately check in soon and THANKS for giving me your email... just in case. Take care and I'll talk to you soon ! Denise